The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
sfried

Post by sfried »

Guess I haven't formally introduced myself...

Now that I notice it, I still don't have an avatar...
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Since this thread popped up I guess I'll introduce myself briefly :lol: . I'm relatively new to shmups except for playing Raiden II arcades and Super R-type or R-type III (can't remember) on the snes during elementary school. After that I was more into rpgs, fps, and starcraft. But now, I'm diving into shmups, having purchased a DC and PS2 games :wink: . Also working on modding a stick. My username is from when some guy called me "the machinist" because i'm skinny like the guy from the movie. Can't do much about good metabolism.
eight

Post by eight »

Hi, I was new some months ago.
Bye!
neo

Post by neo »

Hello! I have been lurking those boards for a while, and since I was bored, I thought it would be a good idea to register :) . I am a sixteen-year-old French boy, I have been playing video games since I was six, although I only started focusing on shoot-them-up games last year. My favorites shmups are Do Donpachi and Armed Police Batrider, but I also like pretty much every single other Cave or Raizing game :wink: .

Bye!

Oh, and sorry for the poor English :oops: .
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

neo wrote: Do Donpachi and Armed Police Batrider
Excellent choice!

And you English is great. Don´t worry about that.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

I am ROBOTRON.

A Robot built in Detroit, Michigan U.S.A.

Shmups are my fav genre of videogame.

Greetings, humanoid life-forms.
Fight Like A Robot!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Wait... a self introduction thread belongs to Off Topic, right?
X - P - B
Pirate1019

Post by Pirate1019 »

neo wrote:Oh, and sorry for the poor English :oops: .
I think the minimum requirement of English literacy was set by Darius11. If you can write English better then him, then you are plenty welcome here.

...You far surpass Darius11 in your English, and he's a native speaker.

Anyway, welcome to the Forums.
"You are the Hero of Tomorrow!"
soniq-man

Post by soniq-man »

Ahem. Time to intruduce myself then. I've been posting one or two things here, mainly to do with Last Hope, but the main reason I actually joined was that one of my loves (apart from my girlfriend and music) are obviously video games. Born in 73, I was lucky enough to own a VCS as a kid, play games on Spectrums and C64s, learn to make music on the Amiga and today own a (for my taste) substantial collection of consoles and games, ranging from all kinds of GBs, across 16-Bit consoles, various home computers, up to new consoles like the Wii. One of my passions was certainly shoot em ups, mainly in the arcades of the 80s (I grew up in South Africa, live in Germany today) and C64. It's always thrilling to still see new games in this genre appear. Particularly since the technology of today's machines could do so much for shoot 'em ups in general. In the mid 90s, I began concentrating on my music, mainly in the demo scene. I have lately produced a few game related music CDs, some contract work and also provided the music for Last Hope last year, which turned out to receive extremely favourable reponses to my work, both from players and from the industry. Currently, I am contracted for the music and sounds design of Söldner-X, published by eastasiasoft later this year. So it looks like I am heading somewhere, who knows. Thank you for this board, it's great to see so many action loving shmuppers here. Keep blasting.

Rafael
nietzschedancing

Post by nietzschedancing »

Well, hello all. I'm more or less a terminal lurker - it's gotten to the point I can read a post by many members and think to myself 'Yeah, I thought (member here) would think that!'. I love the community here and love reading everyone's posts, which are for the most part hugely interesting and informative. Furthermore, without this board I would never have been able to buy Ketsui so easily, so simply for that I am in the board's eternal debt!
airdrawn

Post by airdrawn »

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking in these forums for a bit now and thought I'd register an account. I'm currently playing Touhou 10 Demo (trying to finish hard with all weapons before moving on to Lunatic), 19XX (Can't seem to master the last two levels), and Mars Matrix (Just started playing this. Wow!).

These forums have introduced me to a lot of new shooters I didn't know about. I have a lot of catching up to do!
vercimber

Post by vercimber »

Hi, everybody!

Been lurking here for years, just recently joined.

My first really serious shoot-em-up experience involved Gaiares for the Genesis, which enthralled me with its incredibly interesting intro.

Right now, I'm playing:

Soukyugurentai (Sat)
Radiant Silvergun (Sat)
Layer Section (Sat)
Ikaruga (DC)
Border Down (DC)

I'm a Ph.D. candidate in English, and I suspect my interests deviate from most here. My major field is poetry, particularly modernist, American Surrealist, and Deep Imagist movements. I've published two books and an anthology. (I noticed there was a linguist here). So, yeah, videogames help distract me from these intellectual matters from time to time. Nice to meet you all and looking forward to posting more.
unsane

Post by unsane »

I'm from the days of the SNES/Genesis/arcade shmups of the early-mid nineties - but haven't played any since Raiden DX. I'm 30 now and getting back into shmups after a 10-yr break! Cave? What's that?

My video game tastes have mutated considerably. My faves used to be traditional RPGs. I don't know if it's because they've become snore-fests, or if it's just my imagination that shriveled up, but i prefer twitchier games now. My fave genre by far is shmups.

I've never much liked memorizers, memorization is redundant/boring for me. I put in my R-Type and Gradius dues, but Raiden and other verts of the time were what got my money. I prefer a test of reflexes and a good adrenaline rush. However, Raiden just exasperates me now (but i masochistically keep playing it). The "new" and improved manic sub-genre is a breath of fresh air. Though not sure yet if i like the sub-sub-genre of manic memorizers, i.e. all this overly complicated chaining business. :/

I don't know if i'll ever do well on the hi-score boards, as i'm something of a neophile. In the month since i've rediscovered them, i've tried 35 new shmups, and i have dozens more to go. :D
lgb

Post by lgb »

Hi. I've been lurkin around for a year or so, and I was directed by Postman over at STC. Seemed to be a pretty cool place so I decided to join, and here I am. Unfortunately, I'm afraid, I don't necessarily have the reflexes to keep up with other shmupers here. So I tend to just remain quiet till I get better.
Dragon1952

Post by Dragon1952 »

Okay, just found this thread and have been posting here for about a month now!

My name is David Siller and I am a HUGE fan of Shmups! Always have been... I am a fanatical player and collector of video games and own quite a few coin-ops as well as all of the various consoles. In fact, I own several of many of them (like the Saturn I have four). I own a Sega City that I use for horizontal coin-ops and a New Sega City that I use for verts.

I am a video game designer and producer and have been doing that for over 25 years. Shmups are my favorites and I am constantly playing all of them and a rotation basis.

I have worked for Capcom, Universal Interactive Studios, Sunsoft, Tecmo and several other companies and have also written reviews and articles for a variety of VG magazines like EGM, Gamepro, and Play (under an alias). I work now for a new start-up company called Throwback and we are studying the very real possibility of making coin-op games in addition to console stuff. I have been designing a new coin-op shooter that I hope to produce one day soon.

I love it here as it feels like a real brotherhood of shooter game fans!
"wax on...wax off!"
gcjae1

Post by gcjae1 »

Like Dragon1952, I have just found this thread and although I have posted a couple of times I have lurked here for a good few months now. I am 34 and work as a financial analyst for a major UK bank.

I have been a fan of 'traditional' shmups for many years and own pretty much all of the consoles released since the late 90's and a very good selection of shooters for each. I have recently ordered a Supergun and taken the plunge into the PCB scene. I would have loved a cab but unfortunately space is an issue and my gaming paraphanelia already dominates an entire room of the house that I share with my girlfriend (she's a gamer too although classes herself as 'casual' and is addicted to Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the DS).

Currently playing
Espgaluda (PS2)
Mushihimesama (PS2)
Half Life 2: The Orange Box (360)
Espgaluda 2 (when the Supergun arrives, hopefully by this weekend)
MovingTarget

Post by MovingTarget »

Hi. My name is MovingTarget, and I'm an alcoholic.
Know thy enemy attack pattern.
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

gcjae1 wrote:
Currently playing
Espgaluda (PS2)
Mushihimesama (PS2)
Half Life 2: The Orange Box (360)
Espgaluda 2 (when the Supergun arrives, hopefully by this weekend)
Nice choice of games.

Wait a minute!
gcjae1 wrote: Half Life 2: The Orange Box (360)
Did you really believe you could sneak that one by us and get away with it? :D
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Welcome to the board unsane. Check out our ultra-slow Vancouver shmupmeets thread. Maybe something will happen in December, that's if you can put up with us kids. We'll have some fun new things for you to try at the very least.
gcjae1

Post by gcjae1 »

Well Ceph, all I can say is that you shoot things :D
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

After 90 posts i think it's about time to introduce myself.
I'm 23 and i'm from slovakia (hence the horrible english, i learned it from the internet...). I'm really really REALLY bad at shmups (as you can guess from my username), but it's still my favorite genre. My other interests are design, music and generally creative stuff. I also like reading but i hate writing so at least i won't clutter this forum with long meaningless posts.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
unsane

Post by unsane »

iatneH wrote:Welcome to the board unsane. Check out our ultra-slow Vancouver shmupmeets thread. Maybe something will happen in December, that's if you can put up with us kids. We'll have some fun new things for you to try at the very least.

I'll keep an eye out, thanks. :)

worstplayer wrote:i'm from slovakia (hence the horrible english, i learned it from the internet...).

Your english looks perfect to me, nice work!
escadrille

Post by escadrille »

Lurker for a while, finally joined.

I definately play shumps looking to 1cc games, not for high score at all. Not sure if that makes me a total Philistine or not. :)

I mostly stick to arcade shmups. Still working my way though all the blue-chip titles by Cave, Psykio, Irem, etc. One of the best things about this forum is that it introduces people to some of the great obscure titles out there.
Sixx

Post by Sixx »

I'm Sixx. I am 34 years old and i suck on shooters. I've finally come to the conclusion that i probably never will 1CC a shooter. Really, it kinda breaks my heart.

One of the first childhood memories i have is from when my mom and dad took me to the local pub/bar/whatever. They had a couple Lovenbrau's and i always got my hand full of quarters to play those two amazing coin-ups they had there: Space Invaders and Asteroids. Since then i've been consuming video games in many diffrent forms. Hurm.

I've always been a fan of shooters, my childhood mostly consisted of Tiger Heli and Twin Cobra in the arcades. Terra Cresta, Delta and R-Type home infront of the C64. Since then SHMUPS have been playing a major part in my life (Yes, i have a life).

UgH! I got three kids, a spanking hot wife who's addicted to Dr.Mario. Our house is crowded with consoles and computers so the wonderfull sound of video games (and chip music) is always present around here.

As soon as i get my hands on a Shao Lin's Road (Kicker) PCB i will set the world record; i belive i once had one of the greatest scores on Bubble Bobble/arcade.

Fav games: Galaxian (fast shooting hack), Dangun Feveron, Terra Cresta, Tetris The Grand Master 2+, Twin Cobra, Track & Field, Asteroids, Battle Bakraid, Lumines, Guitar Hero, Chelnov, SFIII, Gradius Gaiden, Shock Troopers, Gunbird II, Under Defeat, Giga Wing, Punch Out!!, Puzzle Bobble and, eeerhm, some others. :D

This became kinda long so i think i'll cut it off here. Oh, and i've also been lurking on here for some time. :wink:
lowemark

Post by lowemark »

welcome aboard Sixx, nice to have another Swede here. :wink:

kan även passa på att tipsa dig om ett svenskt shmup community: http://www.stgfan.com/, välkommen att joina.
marc__

Post by marc__ »

Hi fellow shooter addicts. I have been collecting Jp saturn, MD and PCE shooters and fighters for 15 years, recentley started a Neo Geo AES/MVS collection. I love good games and that's why I am here.
I have every rated/decent shooter on all my systems, over 120 and am now filling in the gaps, sadly...... may move on to Jamma next.
Will post collection pics soon!

Also a member of
www.segasaturn.co.uk
www.neo-geo.com
www.pcedaisakusen.net

Lets shoot the breeze................
Last edited by marc__ on Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

For a second I expected to see that sealed game site in your list. I guess I should think better of people, like that they kill puppies or something.

Welcome!
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
marc__

Post by marc__ »

Mortificator wrote:For a second I expected to see that sealed game site in your list. I guess I should think better of people, like that they kill puppies or something.

Welcome!
Ha ha, don't go in for all that sealed games nonsense, that's strictly for losers and profiteers, I only buy stuff I like to play.....
Game Over Flyboy............
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Hello, I'm Null1024.
I'm an avid shooter fan, I suck at most shooters (think level 3 is the furthest I've gotten in an arcade shmup on defaults and with only one credit), and I used to be a credit feeder until I realised the economics of how much cheaper only using 1 credit was. I also make shmups in Gamemaker 5 and 6.

I'm currently playing:
DonPachi (Pretty good, tend to die somewhere in level 2, sometimes on the boss)
DoDonPachi (This is my fav. shmup)
Radiant Silvergun (I SUCK AT THIS!)
Dangun Feveron (I tend to die early on in level 2)
rRootage (One of the best PC shmups ever, google it)
null..k (A shmup I made, and I've been addicted to it for some reason, maybe the rush of trying to get as many points as possible in 5 min attracts me?)
AGATING (Easiest shmup EVER, managed to beat it on normal and hard)
Oh, and I've been obsessesed [sp] with KOF '03.
Lynx Winters

Post by Lynx Winters »

I'm in the same boat. Love the hell out of these games, but suck with a passion and vigor normally reserved for success.

I guess my best accomplishment is managing to 3cc Imperishable Night on Easy. Yeah, I'm pretty shabby.