The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
AnthonyRose

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by AnthonyRose »

Greetings, I'm new to the forum. I've always been interested in shmups but sadly was barely able to play any until 2 years ago due to time constrains. Since then though I now actually have been researching and trying to learn how the genre actually works, especially since I want to create one of my own, I started playing some and try to finish and well I can say I'm incredibly bad at em. The only one I have succesfully completed is Life Force on the 3ds virtual console.

I saw this forum one day while searching and well, here I am now.
ChrisBEANS

Post by ChrisBEANS »

Hey All,

I’m Chris and I’ve recently developed an appreciation for SHMUPS.

I’ve been very much into the arcade scene for a while now, and I own two Neo Geo cabinets and consolized Neo Geo (big Metal Slug fan!!), but I now have a Konami Windy II cabinet coming too.

Anyway, having the cabinets lead me to discover games like Pulstar, Blazing Star and Prehistoric Isle 2, but most significantly Strikers 1945 Plus…

This lead to an interest in Psikyo, and that’s opened a whole can of worms!! I’ve been enjoying Deathsmiles on Steam, and I’ve tried out a few (Ketsui, Gunbird, Progear, Giga Wing, Mars Matrix, and Espgaluda) on MAME. I think Ketsui is probably the favourite, with the CPS games all being great, and Deathsmiles being fun but a completely different vibe…

I found this forum due to the SHMUP ranking thread, and I’ve joined hoping to learn which games are worth picking up on original PCBs, which have good home ports or even good emulation (not many, right??) and which should be completely avoided.

I’m not afraid to invest in a good arcade PCB, but I certainly can’t justify anything like the £5,500 that Deathsmiles Black Label is going for on eBay right now.

I hear the PGM conversions are ‘perfect’ copies of the original carts, so that’s probably Ketsui sorted…

Anyway, nice to meet you all.
DIPswitch

Post by DIPswitch »

Hello! Newly registered but I've been lurking for Framemeister, mods, etc info for several years. I've learned so much here, but eventually you have a question for which you can't find an answer in old posts so I signed up. Looking forward to taking part in discussions. Yoroshiku!
shooteraddict

Post by shooteraddict »

Hello all.

Been an avid fan of shooters since I got my first Megadrive (Genesis) as a kid back in the 90s.

I'm certainly not an expert in either knowledge or gaming skill, nevertheless I've always loved them. Looking forward to discussing what IMO is the the best game genre. I'll list my top 5 here while I'm at it;

- ThunderForce IV (Lightening Force)
- Galactic Attack (Raystorm, Layer Section)
- DoDonpachi
- Deathsmiles
- Axelay
aryko1872

Post by aryko1872 »

Hi everyone, I’m new here.

Been a fan of Shmups for most my life but it took me a little while before I really realized or remembered that. The first Shmups that hooked me was Aero Fighters 2 - I would play any chance I got at a local restaurant where I grew up. Loved it because I could actually last a while on a quarter and get into flow for first time in a video game.

We also had Darius Twin on SNES which got a lot of play time too as part of my regular rotation. While my “favorite” games were more popular games like Mario and RPGs like Final Fantasy, Darius Twin probably got put in just as much. Later on I started getting into collecting video games and I got my hands on some less common systems like a Turbo Grafx-16, Sega Master System, Atari Jaguar, and it renewed my love of this genre.

I feel very fortunate to have the space and the ability to finally get my collection out and added a few arcade cabinets to my game room in my basement. I put a Raspberry Pi (pi2jamma) in on of my cabs and sunk deeper into the rabbit hole :). And then last year a pulled the trigger on a Sony PVM and hooked up all my systems via RGB and been fun to dive in and explore more

in addition to retro gaming, I always have a modern game in progress, and this year I was blown away when I got the chance to play Nier Automata. It’s a masterpiece and incredible music and I had no idea how many play styles were fused together, an story-rich, open world RPG Shmup with side-scrolling sections made me feel like the game was made for me!

Anyway - thanks for letting me introduce myself and see you around the forums.
Fatal
Banned User

Post by Fatal »

I like long walks on the beach and DOOM.
Malice

Post by Malice »

Long time listener, first time caller. Figured it was better to contribute rather than just lurking :mrgreen:
popckorn

Post by popckorn »

Hello, I am popckorn.

I came here about a year ago when I started delving into the genre.
After a year of collecting and getting around the world of emulation and rarities, I realized this site was a constant in my research.
So I decided it would be wise to join the gang, and maybe later go even deeper into the nooks of this exciting hobby.
Do you call it a hobby?

Personally I am a sucker for Cute'em Ups, basically I could never play survival horror, and helicopter war shooters got me nervous as a kid, so Cutes kind of helped me learn to enjoy the process of learning the maps and the patterns. You gotta give it to those guys, the amount of snarky, funny and even sexy details are amazing to the point of distracting.

Finally:
I grew fonder of "Harmful Park" (PSX) in the last months, specially after realizing there is a live global leaderboard in the DUCKSTATION emulator. Soi I guess I am asking you to join us there.
I am currently at the 5th position in every leaderboard mode.

Come to DUCKSTATION, it is available for every platform even XBOX, I run it on Linux flawlessly, it has thumbnails, and a great couple of GUIs available.
Once in DUCKSTATION just go to Settings / Achievement Settings / Global Setting then both Enable Achievements and Test Unofficial Achievements.

Come'on visit HARMFUL PARK at least once per week and give it a try, maybe get in the top 10 with me!

That is all, thank you for reading, considering joining?

Anyways, I am checking all the CAVE ROMs available in MAME, gotta get back to it, I just wanted to get this out of the way.

Much love, frens.
XXXX
〄 Popckorn: Jerry Bean is Best Bean At DuckStation Harmful Park Leaderboards!
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I joined because there's more shmup discussion here than anywhere on the internet and I wanna talk about shmups dammit.
diospada901

Post by diospada901 »

Hey there, i am Alex from Italy, shmups lover and avid collector :D

Cheeeeers
SolDirix

Post by SolDirix »

Heyo everyone! This is Sol.

I do stuff.

I exist.
Doing things is important.
Youtube
gigasturtz

Post by gigasturtz »

Hello from KY
I've been diving down the arcade rabbit hole recently and have found shmups to be a nice balance of chill and intense, making a nice compliment to the fighting games I've been trying to learn. I'm not great at either genre but I've been enjoying the learning process.
Digitalironmanx

Post by Digitalironmanx »

Dad, husband, 40s, and infrequent Twitch affiliate. I’m new to shmups and this forum. Currently playing a ton of Varth on Capcom’s Arcade Collection. I came here to learn more about the different types of shmups and see what the community is all about.

Stay pew pewing my friends.
Currently playing: Varth: Operation Thunderstorm
jehu

Post by jehu »

Hey all. Decided it was time to stop lurking and start contributing. I'm a small-time NES/Famicom collector, and like all styles of STG, anything quality from the MSX-era to the Switch.
hyp36rmax

Post by hyp36rmax »

Hey everyone! happy to finally join. After 35+ years of gaming mainly from R-Type style games, i've finally been able to appreciate shmups lol. Seriously, my recent collection of Saturn is what drew me towards this genre that much more with titles such as HyperDuel, Radiant Silvergun, Terra Diver.
ItsBobDudes

Post by ItsBobDudes »

Hi from Boston MA. I am an arcade enthusiast always looking to play good games.
Dloop

Post by Dloop »

Hello from Sweden! I've recently started getting into shmups and have mostly been on other forums talking about them. Looking forward to do the same here!
Chrome Head

Post by Chrome Head »

Hey everyone!!

I started my love of shmups back in the 90's after playing the original Gradius. Little did I know for years there were tons of games like it.

My main system is Switch, but I also play them on XBox One, Steam, PSP and Retropie / Lakka.

I've since become a shmup maniac. Looking forward to conversing with you all here!
Nachy

Post by Nachy »

Hi everyone, grew up playing video games and just love discovering interesting and fun games from any genre, and have been lurking these forums for some time now but only started to finally dabble into shmups deeper this year. I recently got my first arcade STG 1cc with Ketsui and plan to tackle more games from doujins to other arcade games. Really appreciate how a forum like this still exist, other than the useful information preserved over the years, it's just nice to find a tight-knit community still chugging along here!
cradlevalve

Post by cradlevalve »

Hello everyone, been a lurker on here for a while as my online presence in general is pretty muted.

NES and on is where I started. Fun fact about me, not into PC too much as it reminds me of work (you do you though nothing against it), just more of a couch it and fire things up kinda guy. I am into more premium in between mediums so I can keep the cost down on consoles & consumer CRTs and PC CRTs (if that makes sense).

I am into Arcade style games; light gun, shooters, platforming and FPS (Halo) as well. Only RPG I really play is PSO on the Schthack server

I probably keep lurking for a while, but I appreciate all the good information I have gotten here over the years. Hopefully I will be able to give back!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Nachy wrote:I recently got my first arcade STG 1cc with Ketsui
That's a very impressive first arcade 1CC, kudos!
cradlevalve wrote:Only RPG I really play is PSO on the Schthack server
I played a lot on that one, and also on the Ephinea server where it has a hardcore/permadeath mode (if you die without a Scape Doll). Lots of fun.
TheShield

Post by TheShield »

Hi all

Posted yesterday but not sure if it’s been submitted correctly so I’ll try and remember what I put…

Long time gamer, Amstrad CPC464, C64, Atari ST, Amiga, NES etc. etc. right up to current hen consoles PS5 & Xbox

Have a bit of arcade stuff at present, New Net City, Blast City which I use both to house my selection of MVS, CPS2 (& Darksoft), Naomi 1 & 2 (Piforce) and an Afterburner upright in my arcade/gym/ex garage

I used to float around on Jamma+, still live on AO, UKVAC and Arcade Projects

Looking to build a Supergun so I can play in the house over winter so here for the info and any parts maybe

Cheers
Nachy

Post by Nachy »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Nachy wrote:I recently got my first arcade STG 1cc with Ketsui
That's a very impressive first arcade 1CC, kudos!
Thank you!

I uploaded a video of the play as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5xekktlk6U

I'm currently practicing to do the Omote loop, but also focusing on getting at least a 1cc on DoDonPachi and Armed Police Batrider Normal Course first.
quarkstarmuffin

Post by quarkstarmuffin »

Hi all,

I've been collecting games for a while and shmups are one of my favourite genres. I recently 1-cc'd Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga, and have been working on my R-Type Leo pcb :)
CAVEDWELLERS

Post by CAVEDWELLERS »

Hi, I am shmup collector with an interest in caves, undumped hardware and shooting things.

I look forward to sharing info with all you
tel1100

Post by tel1100 »

Hello!
I am posting this from Japan.
I used to play SNK's ASO and Namco's Xevious Dragon Spirit.
Now I'm enjoying EXA's Aka, Blue and Vritra Hexa.
I hope to have a good conversation here.
bobhasashotgun

Post by bobhasashotgun »

Hello everyone,

I initially got into Shmups when I was collecting snes games. Now with so many games available on PS4 I've been getting more interested in the genre and have been exploring it further.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Nomax

Post by Nomax »

Hello there!

Nomax from Belgium here.

I'm co-founder of the Arcade Belgium arcade news website that was created in 2003. I've worked in IT in the past, but my current main job is postman. I work for Red Sun Systems after work. We bring arcade games to events like conventions and parties (with an emphasis on new Japanese games and '90s classics), rent arcade machines to operators and operate games ourselves. We also distribute Sega, Namco, Raw Thrills, exA-Arcadia and Step Revolution games.

Of course, I love shmups and my girlfriend and I have many of them in our PCB collection. This said, I'm pretty bad at it due to the lack of time to practice.

I'm a long time visitor of these forums, so it was about time I start posting.

Hoping to spend a great time here.

See you around. :wink:
lordpaddle

Post by lordpaddle »

Hello everyone !

I'm a french shmup lover and retrogaming fan, owner of the youtube channel "Lord Paddle" about retrogaming.

Shoot'em up are my favorite genre, I love all kind of shmups : japanese or euro shmup.
I started as a kid with the Amstrad CPC then the Atari ST in the 80s, on ST I loved "Wings of Death" (my favorite title), "X-Out", "Xenon II", "SWIV "," Saint Dragon ", etc. Today, among my favorite shoots I count "DoDonPachi", "Radiant Silvergun" on Saturn, "Ikaruga", "Gradius Gaiden" on PS1, "R-Type Delta" on PS1, "G-Darius" and "Darius Gaiden "on arcade," Progear "on arcade," ESP.Ra.de "and" ESP.Galuda "on arcade," R-Type Leo "on arcade, the" Star Soldier "series on PC Engine," Aldynes "on PC Engine, "Gynoug", "MUSHA Aleste" and the "Thunder Force" on Mega Drive, the first two "Aleste" and "Space Manbow" on MSX, "Life Force" and "Gradius II" on NES, "Nemesis II "on Game Boy," Iridion 3D "on GBA," Scorpius "and" Naious "on X68000 as well as doujins on this computer like" Cho Ren Sha 68K "," Otoko Dama "," R + R "," Laser Illumination ", and so many others, impossible to name them all !

See you soon on the forum ! ;)
"Le pouvoir du paddle est toujours entre vos mains !"
FLP74

Post by FLP74 »

Hello everybody,
after many years of 'retirement' from shooting games, I decided to jump back in... so what better place than this to return? :D

My career started many many years ago, the first STG I remember I played are Vulgus, 1942 and Gyruss at arcades, and Zanac on MSX,
then had the honor to play most of the classics at their age
My favorite ones are mainly Konami Hori as Gradius/Paro series, and I especially love Capcom games.

Hope to contribute in any way here.