shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:37 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58
 Post subject: Re: The Self-Introduction Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:44 am 

Hello, readers.
(There: variety achieved.)

The first shmup that I remember owning was Project S-11 for GBC. I remember putting a fair bit of time into that, although it really wasn't the best of games. I can only imagine how much I would've played Lightening Force had I known about it - or Thunder Force V or Battle Garegga (though I didn't own a Saturn back then).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:26 pm 

Ageing gamer, newish to the forum.

I used to lurk around here a long while back but had to stop retro gaming as life got in the way for a long time.

I sold of a lot of my ‘retro’ collection, that I’d owned most of from new, about a decade ago (From the NES onwards to the PS2 inc the obscure stuff like virtual boy and the slightly harder to come by stuff PC Engine Neo Geo AES etc).

Always been fond of playing shooters but mainly horizontal titles save for a few on the PC Engine like final Blaster, final soldier Gunhed and an obscure one called toilet kids.

I recently found my old Saturn packed up that I thought had gone long ago but I’ve discovered it’s not powering up unfortunately so the happy surprise was short lived. I cannot remember if it powered up back when I packed it away it might have been why it never got sold.

I’ve built arcade joysticks in the past and converted controllers to run on the AES when I couldn’t afford Neo joysticks so fairly comfortable with wiring stuff up and modding things. My main focus was on fighting games before everything was sold off.

Anyway I’m looking for a cheap and convenient way of getting back into arcade gaming but focusing on playing vertical shooters that I didn’t really get a chance to play in the arcades much. My main interest is in starting out with vertical shooters from mid 90’s into early 00’s. Cave 68000 and CPS2 stuff mainly. Although maybe just a little past this hardware up to Ketsui.

I have a spare HPLP2065 monitor that I picked up free that I can setup vertically. I’ll have to run any outputs to DVI though as they are the only inputs on the monitor, I didn’t realise this before I picked it up.

What in peoples experience are the best cheap options for an easy start. Ideally I’d like something that I can set up and not have to spend ages tinkering with things all the time, if it can be avoided. But have a selection of games from the period to try out. The intention is to consolise whatever the chosen option is so it can sit safely under the monitor as I’ll want to play the games with my kids.

Multi-game boards?
I’ve seen some with a reasonable selection of vertical shooters on them. Elf 412 is most easily available for me.

Retropi
Can it handle the 68000 and CPS 2 games we’ll enough.

PC and Mame / console emulation
My experience about 7 years ago with this wasn’t great. I missed having the retro consoles so I played around with it for a few weeks got some stuff to work but other stuff was awful. Haven’t tried since.

Other options for a single unit setup?

I’m sure these questions will have been asked many times before over the years but if there are up to date or current threads discussing this that are worth reading happy to be pointed in their direction to read up there.

Any help from people who have looked into things before is always greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:41 pm 

Hello there. Well I created this account some months ago, so I did that. I like shmups although you could say that I am quite at them, also in games overall, I only like started playing videogames, during my childhood I didnt really play outside of minesweeper (which I was bad) and that pinball game for Windows XP, and some Flash. So yeah, I would started playing videogames only very recently.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: New to the Forums
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:45 am 

Good Morning All

Have just joined today, been into my gaming for 25 years, stopped for a while but now back in full swing, really enjoy my shoot em ups and looking to get into all of the cave shooters but also still really love all the old shooter on my Sega Astro City.

Nice to talk to you all!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:01 pm 

Hi, everyone!

I've been a lurker here. Thank you so much for sharing all the guides and strategies about shmups here. I decided to register today after I got banned from r/shmups. Hopefully I can contribute back in any way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:09 am 

Hi Everyone

Matt here, I’m a Kiwi from NZ. Mainly interested in 90’s arcade games, consoles, Sony PVM/BVM, and RGB modding CRTs.
Have been lurking here for some time reading the RGB modding threads, finally registered so I can participate in the discussion.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:53 pm 

leodash wrote:
Hi, everyone!

I've been a lurker here. Thank you so much for sharing all the guides and strategies about shmups here. I decided to register today after I got banned from r/shmups. Hopefully I can contribute back in any way.

Why'd you get banned?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:53 pm 

From what I've heard the lone mod of that subreddit is kind of a tyrant and will delete threads and ban people on a whim.

Welcome aboard leodash, Housematt!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:23 pm 

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Why'd you get banned?

Haha.

Well, someone asked if there is a shmup with online co-op. I answered suggesting Fightcade. For that, I got banned for two days.

Later, in the recent high score thread of Mushihimesama Futari, I put a little remark saying I got banned because of emulation. 15 days after, I got an inbox saying I was perma-banned and that one mod replying to that remark I made saying, "Nobody cares, follow the rules".

So yeah, it's either I got banned twice for the same offense or the second ban was because I played using an emulator in a high score challenge that allows emulation.

EmperorIng wrote:
From what I've heard the lone mod of that subreddit is kind of a tyrant and will delete threads and ban people on a whim.

Welcome aboard leodash, Housematt!

Thank you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:27 am 

Hi, I'm excited to be part of this forum! I haven't played many shmups but I really enjoy the ones I have played. I started with Ikaruga and Mushihimesama, and most recently have been playing the Touhou series, primarily Touhou Fantasia.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:53 am 

Hello, I haven't posted in this forum in like forever until recently, but I'm finally back! I've played R-Type games like Dimensions, Delta,
and Final, & I really enjoyed them all, but I especially love Delta, which is one of my favorite shmups of all time along with Einhander.
I am so looking forward to R-Type Final 2, as I really love the graphics. It looks so gorgeous, and I can not wait to play it on my PS4!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1721 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58