shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:08 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55
 Post subject: Re: The Self-Introduction Thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:08 pm 

Hello everyone! You can call me WXY, I come from China, and the nickname is from my initials. Please forgive my poor English ability while discussing.
I am a newcomer to shmups. I have started playing shmups concentratedly since July 2018, before then I have only played 1942, gradius and demonstar(the game misidentified as Raiden3 was quite popular in China) in my childhood. I was attracted by dodonpachi SDOJ while travelling, my friend led me to the most famous arcade game centre in China, Liehuo. So I began with cave's bullet hell games and till now I am still major in bullet hell shmups. My proudest score is ddpdojbl(1 round mode) 1cc, and I am trying to 1cc Ketsui, omote 2-round game. I also play other shmups, for example I like Darius series very much(Unfortunately I don't play Darius well, and I am still pursuing QUZ 1cc in DBACEX).
Besides playing shmups, I am also interested in game music. I am a fan of Zuntata(especially OGR) and Namiki Manabu.
Hope I can go on well with everyone in the forum.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:27 am 

Been working myself into the Shmup games. Still really just focused on survival, but hoping to focus on a few 1CCs this year. Still have some repairs to do on my machines, but things are looking up for 2020. Glad to be here...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:56 pm 

i haven't played a shmup in over 10 years until recently and a few thoughts come to mind:

1. over the weekend i had a sudden urge to dodge bullets and so purchased ghost blade, shikondo, and azure reflections on the switch (i have kids now so the switch seemed most appropriate as a family console)
2. i came across a comment/article suggesting that the switch is the current best console for this genre so if this is true i can no longer say that this purchase was an act of selflessness
3. prior to my recent purchases, the last game i bought was ibara for ps2 which might have led to me quitting because i'm pretty sure i snapped my controller into pieces from frustration
4. i'm so happy to see this site/forum alive and lively; thanks to everyone for playing and providing me a safe haven from the 3d world

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:59 am 

Hello to all

Well, finally thought I'd join a forum pertaining to stg and retro tech, two things I've always been quite found of. I've been playing and collecting console games, arcade pcbs/cabinets/super gun control boxes/arcade sticks, etc. for a long while now, lived in Japan for a short time, love CRT technology (the amount of CRT that I own is staggering even to me) and have I suppose what I'd consider to be, I don't know, maybe a reasonably successful youtube channel that I've been posting videos on for the past decade or so, which has garnered just about a million total video views by the start of 2020.

I've enjoyed occasionally reading threads on various game related forums over the past few decades, but never really actually registered for one, primarily because I've always been busy working on my own videos and being a part of the retro youtube gaming community, so yeah, better late than never, thought I'd join and stop by to say hello this late evening.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:47 pm 

Hey Guys

I recently started collecting shmups, I own numerous titles on pc and ps4. Feel free to add me.
Steam: infamous2150
PS4: infamous2117

See you on the battlefield!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:33 pm 

please delete my account mods. thanks

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:09 pm 

I been here for awhile, but let me properly introduce myself! Taken straight from the shmup discord.

My name derides from not only the popular drink itself, but its because i prefer 2D sprite based games and I like to mix things up a bit in terms of 2D genres and games. Originally platformers was gonna be the main focus both 2D and 3D, and i could cared less about shmups until around 2016 when I fully started to embrace the genre. Prior to that point, I would only play them maybe once or twice a year, didnt care for score, played on easiest with max lives , and would credit feed my way. From 2016 to 2018, i started purchasing more shmups thru digital distribution on Steam and consoles, but on October 25th 2018, my life changed forever as my first ever 1-All occurred in DoDonPachi DFK 1.5 on Normal. Ever since then, I been learning terminology, games, companies, etc. You could say I’ve become a fanboy that will stand and defend the genre. I even joke around and say its the galaxy brain genre of the gaming world since the modern landscape doesn’t focus too much on scoring tactics or spending time on a game for hours when in reality it only takes like 30 minutes to finish. My latest accomplishment was finishing first place in Garegga as a part of the monthly shmup meet here in NC.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxk_0juKeR1LZrb6Jt0vtXg
PC: NGX159, Switch:8236-1172-7720

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:40 am 

Been about a thousand years since I've visited this board, so I thought I'd reintroduce myself.

Used to be somewhat active on here, and had to take a prolonged break from video gaming due to graduate school. Looking to get back into things. Look forward to discussions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:01 am 

welcome neist! Any game caught your eye as you get back into the swing of things?

also belated welcome to Sprytemix. 1ALL on DFK is a respectable feat! I've never managed to unlock the second loop on Normal, but I enjoyed my time learning the game when I did.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:32 am 

Hi everyone,

Looking forward to spending more time on your really cool (and huge!) forum. I found it through the “Shoot the Core” podcast.

I’m in San Diego. My account (vornaff) is the same as my WoW character from years ago.

I am definitely a fan of shmups. My first I suppose was “Choplifter” on the Apple II (where it was entirely green-on-black but maybe that made it better!). I think I became hooked on the genre when I picked up “Thunder Force II” at the launch of the Sega Genesis, because I ended up playing or at least watching videos of all the other Thunder Force games. Since then I have tried a lot of different shmups and I definitely prefer horizontal scrollers with moderate but not insane difficulty.

I write code for a living and in my spare time. Oddly I waited many years before deciding to finally make a shmup (“Celtreos”). It’s really fun to make but also an immense challenge…obviously the hardest part is editing down my imagination. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:58 pm 

Hello everyone!

It's a great day to literally save the world by staying at home while playing a shmup! :D

You can call me James, 40watt is just my DBA name.
I was conveniently born in 1980 so I've had the pleasure of playing a lot of fun shmups. 1942 and Gradius were among the first for me back on the good ole NES!
In the arcades, I tended to gravitate towards Raiden.

Currently I'm making the most of this coronavirus down-time to teach myself how to make a shmup of my own with the Qbasic programming language (using QB64). It's actually turning out quite well!

I used to be a top 1000 Amazon reviewer, so if you'd like an objective review of your game I'd be happy to help!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:04 am 

EmperorIng wrote:
welcome neist! Any game caught your eye as you get back into the swing of things?

I was mostly into Seibu Kaihatsu and Takumi stuff. I sold everything, though, so I guess I gotta track it all back down again!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55