shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:10 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49
 Post subject: Re: The Self-Introduction Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:21 am 

Hey guys, I've been referencing this forum over the years to resolve answers to a number of gaming questions, and decided I might as well be able to contribute.

I'm in the military and move around a lot. Currently in Japan but not for much longer. Heading to Mid East next and then should (and "should" is as good as it gets in the military) be heading to Germany afterwards.

My "console of choice" for shmups is definitely the Saturn, and I'm an especially big fan of Toaplan releases. I was given a used copy of Grind Stormer for the Genesis (which I later learned was an awful port of the arcade original) when I was in middle school, then discovered Batsugan during college. Other than those two consoles I also collect for the PCE, PCFX (which I can't honestly recommend doing), PS1, PS2, and GC. I also dabble in modern stuff.

I'm by no means opposed to grabbing digital downloads of everything I can (recent Switch port of Ikaruga was awesome...got to meet the guys in charge of hanlding it at the latest Tokyo Game Show). That said, I do prefer original hardware when the price is reasonable. Usually I hook up 240p consoles to my 60" Panasonic plasma via an XRGB Mini, but I've recently purchased a Sony PVM (1954Q) because I'd like to get back to playing on a CRT with the intended 4:3 aspect ratio. I like to hook up my sixth gen consoles to the HDTV in 480p whenver possible (such as with Eon's GCHD HDMI adapter), so I'm uncertain how much use the XRGB Mini will be getting. I'll definitely keep it around for full screen PSP games via the PSPgo!

Anyhow, great to be finally on here and looking forward to the gaming discussions.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 pm 

GREETINGS!
Cheers to this community...
Happy to be part of it :)
Consoles and specially arcade games are my hobbies..
Studying for EE. Got myself some free time so I joined the forum in order to create a few projects of mine and see what I have been missing.

Best Regards

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:46 pm 

Hi! I'm Sergio from Spain. I've already registered here long time ago, but not active until now! I'm playing shmups again after long "stand-by" time and I want to start being active in this forum!

I've already have some original shmups pcbs from Toaplan and Capcom, but my plan is growing my collection and playing them in a Candy cab (Egret II :roll: ).

Greets!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:30 pm 

Hi! I'm a software engineer that loves shumps since I was a kid (started with Zanac and still loves that 1st stage music).

I've been trying to develop games since around 2000 (using a platform called Klik & Play, which is now Multimedia Fusion) and that was what got me into programming. While I really like bullet hells (love DoDonPachi, MarsMatrix and gigawings) I've always been pretty bad at those, so I tend to play more R-type, Darius and Phalanx kind of games. I also love shumps graphic designs and sometimes try to pixel art myself.

I mostly play indie games and recently I've been playing a lot of Steredenn, Monolith and ZeroRanger.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 pm 

Oh wow, a lot of new folks recently. Welcome!

Lord British wrote:
One more thing, can anyone identify the shmup at 20:25 in this video? Thanks!
https://youtu.be/spolHQxcqxQ

That's an MS-DOS era game called "Overkill". It was interesting in that you could get a ton of upgrades and eventually get a really gigantic looking ship, but it was also hard to play as the levels felt quite cramped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5gwPzefurs

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:02 am 

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Oh wow, a lot of new folks recently. Welcome!

Lord British wrote:
One more thing, can anyone identify the shmup at 20:25 in this video? Thanks!
https://youtu.be/spolHQxcqxQ

That's an MS-DOS era game called "Overkill". It was interesting in that you could get a ton of upgrades and eventually get a really gigantic looking ship, but it was also hard to play as the levels felt quite cramped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5gwPzefurs

Good work, thanks! Definitely looked cool and I was surprised I didn't know what it was. Funny they would show an Ms-Dos game in a Funspot documentary though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:08 am 

Hi All! A friend of mine told me about this forum because he noticed after I picked up a couple arcade cabinets I've been playing a bunch of shmups. This is an amazing forum with tons of info. I definitely have some homework with all the games mentioned in this thread alone!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:48 am 

hello im helena and i play a lot of shooting games and various other arcade (style) games hello
sometimes, when i close my eyes i see the behavior of enemies from xevious
ive been lurking for a few years
still have yet to 1cc anything lmao (hopefully that will change soon)
there are plenty of great resources here, on this forum

when im not playing video games, i'm focused almost full time on music. either creating or listening
and, i also like the music in the shooting games (xevious too!!)

i may want to dabble in creating an abstract shooting game on the c64 at some point but that is merely a dream

zanac is my favorite shooting game
toilet kids is not
toaplan<3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:38 am 

Hey everyone, I just got into shmups like last week with danmaku unlimited 3 on my phone. I quickly moved over to the original dodonpachi on shmupmame and I think I'll stick with it. It's mad aesthetic. I like playing B-L and B-S. If anyone has superplay links I'd really appreciate if you could share them with me so I can learn. The best one I've been able to find is a 477m on youtube. I'd really like to see the type B world record from the world record sticky though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:16 pm 

NKB wrote:
Hey everyone, I just got into shmups like last week with danmaku unlimited 3 on my phone. I quickly moved over to the original dodonpachi on shmupmame and I think I'll stick with it. It's mad aesthetic. I like playing B-L and B-S. If anyone has superplay links I'd really appreciate if you could share them with me so I can learn. The best one I've been able to find is a 477m on youtube. I'd really like to see the type B world record from the world record sticky though.

Welcome to the forum! :D

As for the replays, we have this fun topic over here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60767

Enjoy your stay!

My highscores | Twitter

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:39 pm 

Welcome and happy shooting!

synthetic_nrg : Have you tried Zanac Neo? If you like Zanac, I am sure you'll enjoy it a lot too!

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:06 pm 

Hey all, a casual shmupper here. First got into the genre with Ikaruga, but then moved onto Ketsui. Trying to get back to the hobby.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:34 am 

Hello all.

I have lurked here for a little while and finally decided to join the community. I am new to shmups and I look forward to learning from all the talented and friendly players here.

See you around the forum.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:33 am 

Hello everyone, I like shmups a lot in general, and I really, really love Gradius in particular. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:09 pm 

Hi!
Enjoy your stay on the forum! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 pm 

Hello.

Just recently started buying arcade stuff so have been lurking and am getting into shmups as a result. This seems like a good place to be for that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:46 am 

Gday Guys,
Long time lurker and here to share my knowledge of arcade.
Cheers

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:01 am 

Hi all~

I got into shmups a year or two ago after watching the Game Grumps play Gradius and Parodius, and am trying to find some more that I really enjoy. Very hard to narrow it down when there are so many! I'm a huge fan of Axelay, and I also really like Dogyuun, Gradius 5, Gradius 3 (SNES), and the Parodius series.

I'm mostly a console gamer (especially Nintendo) so most of my gaming knowledge is in that field. I'm still a newbie when it comes to shmups.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:48 pm 

Greetings Shmup forum!

You can call me Adam, and I've recently found a love and addiction for shooting games. I remember always having an affinity towards them as a young one, but unfortunately found them kind of inaccessible. To my delight, my great friend and roommate has shown me otherwise. A few of you may know him by Square_Air. He happily gave me a USB stick with shmup mame4.2 preloaded with a nice handful of his top picks. I immediately started with Gun Smoke as it was a game that I adored and played a lot, however, i couldn't ever get past the first stage. ;) Now my highscore is 254100 which I got right before dying to Cutter Boomerang. (It sounds like I'm playing a megaman game, haha)
I had a quick realization after I had being playing the games in the list, going through them almost picking them at random, that I was complete garbage at every one. I still had fun, however, felt like I was never improving. SQA told me that I should try to clear the first loop of Batsugun: Special, as he thought it is a great place for a beginner to start. The game is a lot of fun, and I think that it did teach me a lot about playing Vertical shooters, but I was still feeling like I was garbage. STG's are hard. Lol. I eventually did get the 1 all of BS and it was the most thrilling and exhilertating video game experience that I've ever had. The rush of flying past bullets and killing baddies while jamming out to an amazing soundtrack is addicting. I'm really close to achieving a 2 all in Batsugun: Special now, but there are so many games that are fun to play, it's hard to completely sink myself into just one.
I started out feeling completely out of my league when it comes to this genre of arcade game, and now I have a Batsugun: special 1-all, a Crimson Clover World Ignition novice clear. I can get to 2-4 in BS. I can feel a touhou 7 normal clear coming right around the corner. I'm also making good progress in DoDonPachi, a game that made me cower and think, "there's no fucking way I'll be able to clear this." Seeing my own progress is such a fulfilling feeling, and I've come to this forum to share my excitement and own achievements. I'm excited to be able to progress with other people, to share experiences, strategies, and to make friends here on this forum.

A big, big thanks to my buddy SQA for supporting and encouraging me to keep on shooting.

TLDR;
I'm a nerd and like to play video games. Hi.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:03 pm 

Another lurker here looking to get some more knowledge on various shump titles :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:46 pm 

Welcome everybody!

Adimusprime : I enjoyed reading your story and I feel like it encapsulates pretty well the reasons we like shmups as much : the pleasant feeling of overcoming obstacles that seemed impossible before, and the raw excitement of playing these games and getting better at them. :)

You can definitely thank Square_Air for introducing you to so many of these games.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:10 pm 

Site Admin

Hello I'm malc and I'm not dead yet. I need to quit real life stuff and come back to shmups. Both the site and the games.

My favourite, and pretty much only even slightly played console right now is switch - a real shmupping powerhouse, who would have predicted that?

Hello to all, old and new.

malc

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:39 pm 

Lurked on these forum in the past to find about shm'ups but finally decided to sign up.

Had a few shm'ups back in my NES & SNES days but the resurgence happened when I met a now friend of mine and a serious retro collector. Fell in love with some of the Dreamcast & Saturn titles like Under Defeat, Zero Gunner 2 & Hyper Duel. Now trying to build up my own shm'up collection across more recent consoles (though unlikely to ever own some of the really valuable ones from the 5th & 6th Gen consoles.

In terms of typesm I got a soft spot for side-on shm'ups with UN Squadron / Area 88 being my all time fave. That's supported with my love in Military Aviation.

Looking forward to learn more and converse.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:25 pm 

Hi!
I am Italian but living in Tokyo.
I love shooters. My favorite developers are Toapaln, Compile, Irem and Hudson soft.
I collect old videogames for almost any old console.

If you need anything from Japan ( especially related to game collecting), don't hesitate to ask

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49