Any hope for Cave home ports?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Nemo

Any hope for Cave home ports?

Post by Nemo »

Since the comical break of Cave and Arika does anyone know if any other publisher has shown interest in porting stuff like Mushi and Ibara? It would be a crying shame if none of Cave's babies get ported anymore.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I agree, but I as far as I know, no company has decided to take up the mantle from Arika. If one does, though, rest assured that you'll hear about it here first.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I haven't heard anything at all here or on any other forum about another company showing interest. Shame too. If the moronic Arcadia Ketsui scoring between them and Arika hadn't happened we'd almost be guaranteed ports of both Mushihime and Ibara.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

"If the moronic Arcadia Ketsui scoring between them and Arika hadn't happened"

Ehh?? I didn't hear about this, please elaborate if you don't mind.
Farewell to hollow words
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

dave4shmups wrote:"If the moronic Arcadia Ketsui scoring between them and Arika hadn't happened"

Yamo skraP; over at Click-Stick's forums wrote: OK... I have a better feel for what the Arika page says now,... don't know if the translation above is clear to everyone, but I'll go ahead and write up what it says one more time.

So,... apparently when making the Ketsui DVD (and maybe the two previous ones as welll...?) they employ someone good at the game and have him practice a lot to make up a good DVD. Arika got help from Cave in the way of extra internal information and an invincible ROM, which I sorta had wrong, but it is pretty much the "no-death" ROM stated before which means you can practice the game without dying.

Now all this was done by Cave for Arika based on the fact it will be done secretly and this player wouldn't go out and compete using his new found skills. Unfortunately there was no official contract, just an agreement in words.

And so this player goes out and takes number one in Arcadia (I believe) and when Arika finds out, they have to make a decision on how to punish him for this, so they end up not releasing the DVD (maybe he makes a % off of the sales?).

In any case, Arika takes responsibility for all this and apologizes to all Ketsui gamers that were practicing so hard, and to Cave for not being able to keep a cap on the boy.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ArrogantBastard

Post by ArrogantBastard »

Ghegs wrote:
Yamo skraP; over at Click-Stick's forums wrote: OK... I have a better feel for what the Arika page says now,... don't know if the translation above is clear to everyone, but I'll go ahead and write up what it says one more time.

So,... apparently when making the Ketsui DVD (and maybe the two previous ones as welll...?) they employ someone good at the game and have him practice a lot to make up a good DVD. Arika got help from Cave in the way of extra internal information and an invincible ROM, which I sorta had wrong, but it is pretty much the "no-death" ROM stated before which means you can practice the game without dying.

Now all this was done by Cave for Arika based on the fact it will be done secretly and this player wouldn't go out and compete using his new found skills. Unfortunately there was no official contract, just an agreement in words.

And so this player goes out and takes number one in Arcadia (I believe) and when Arika finds out, they have to make a decision on how to punish him for this, so they end up not releasing the DVD (maybe he makes a % off of the sales?).

In any case, Arika takes responsibility for all this and apologizes to all Ketsui gamers that were practicing so hard, and to Cave for not being able to keep a cap on the boy.
Wow, that's some shitty deal. I'd still like to see Ketsui, Progear, Mushi, and Ibara ported to PS2 though.
TVG

Post by TVG »

you know, i think akira wasnt too fond of porting cave games anyway.

if someone else takes it, it could only be better.

imagine a fuckiun cave classics collection :o
Zhon

Post by Zhon »

Heh, it's actually because one of the Arika execs WAS fond of Cave's games, that they got ported - this is especially true in the case of Espgaluda. I don't think it gets any better than what Arika has been doing.
TVG

Post by TVG »

i think they released galuda just because one of the CEOs was in love with it, something like that.

however, future ports werent in question, be it ketsui, progear etc...

i think it would be pretty dumb not to cash out mushihime sama, this game has selling potential more than any shooter (cept those liscences, like gradius V)

i may be wrong on the first part tough.
99pence

Post by 99pence »

dave4shmups wrote:I agree, but I as far as I know, no company has decided to take up the mantle from Arika. If one does, though, rest assured that you'll hear about it here first.
dave4shmups wrote:"If the moronic Arcadia Ketsui scoring between them and Arika hadn't happened"

Well I guess we don't hear about things here first.
"When we were talking to one of the executives at the BBC. And he said, 'Now hold on, this man is so incompetent why wouldn't he be fired?' and I said 'Go and take a look around this building. Just go and knock on a few doors.'" - Ricky Gervais
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Ghegs wrote:

I think the Arika-Cave situation is beyond dumb. It's punishing the fans all around. So what if this guy with super duper enlightment from the powers that be dropped a smartbomb at the heart of the competition? The DVD was going to be released, and idiots all over would be practicing day-to-night, mimicking every twist of the stick in the video.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I agree UFO, a scrap like that is pretty dumb in and of itself, much less using it as a reason to break up a business partnership! :?
Farewell to hollow words
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Why didn't Arcadia just cut the kid from the ranking and Arika just cut the kids royalties from sales? Ridiculous...
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Actually, now that I've thought about it more, face-saving is a very import part of Japanese culture, and therefore, of doing business in Japan. That in and of itself may have been the reason this incident caused a split between Cave and Arika.
Farewell to hollow words
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Zhon wrote:Heh, it's actually because one of the Arika execs WAS fond of Cave's games, that they got ported - this is especially true in the case of Espgaluda. I don't think it gets any better than what Arika has been doing.
From what I've played of DOJ, I'd agree...I think Arika did a very good job with it, especially considering some of the less-laudatory work done on previous Cave shmups (Atlus's Saturn DonPachi port, for example).

In any case, it's too bad that no one's picked up where Arika left off...guess all we can do is hope that changes.
system11

Post by system11 »

It would be a shame if they don't sort this issue out and get back to releasing the games. I played Mushi recently and it would be a real loss if it didn't get a port.
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I agree it's really stupid and makes me mad. It totally punishes the fans. But again, Japanese business is more personal. I guess you could liken it to Hasidic/Orthodox businessmen in New York who are so tight knit it's like a family and will literally trade a million dollars or more on a handshake alone. :shock:
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The sad part is, if porting shmups were more profitable, I'm sure this juvenile BS could have been overlooked, or if nothing else, Cave would take more initiative in porting their own games. Unfortunately that's not reality, and even something as ridiculous as this situation can ruin a good thing. In the grand scheme of it all, the ones most effected by this are the people that companies like Cave and Arika aren't even remotely concerned with, people like us that don't live in Japan. It's a dire situation indeed.
dbd

-

Post by dbd »

Like any of our stuff thinks of people that can't speak or read English when it is being written up,

how can anyone expect to be taken into account?! from over this way I mean, that is totally ridiculous.

I'd love to have Cave ports to consoles too, I'd buy all of them, but I'd rather have a 'level field' first. Some folks think that they can make other people in the world jump to whatever they want them to do, and that is not on at all. I wouldn't release anything if it meant folks that don't have a clue, or are using my favourite type of gaming for things other than gaming, would in any way benefit from the releases.
TVG

Post by TVG »

ive just read that last post twice, didnt understand anything of what the guy was talking about, then i saw "myster teslar" in the sig.

makes sense now.
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Oyyy....

Anyway, back on topic, a prediction:

The next couple of Cave games will not be ported to home systems. I know, I know, this makes me weep with despair as well. But I know the last time a deal between Cave and a publisher went south, we lost out on some really great shmups on the home console side. I would REALLY like to be wrong about this. I would really love to be counting on a PS2 port of Mushihime. Hell, I'd buy a japanese XBOX if it was only coming out on that...

But the sad fact is, I just can't see it. Oh, hopefully in a couple of years or so, we'll see something new come out on something, ermm "next-gen". The ultimate quality of Cave games will demand that they be ported to a home system, just maybe not for a while... :x :cry:
Strychnine

Post by Strychnine »

The vagrant wrote:ive just read that last post twice, didnt understand anything of what the guy was talking about, then i saw "myster teslar" in the sig.

makes sense now.
I still don't understand his post. Are those complete thoughts? Is he on acid?
The white clouds floating on the great blue sky
And the boiling red blood shed in fierce gaming
Those who give up halfway through
Their battered bodies will never forget!

Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro! Sega Saturn... shiro!
TVG

Post by TVG »

thats it, its not supposed to make sense, its myster teslar.