Deathsmiles coming in spring.. (iPhone)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
djSyndrome

Re: Deathsmiles coming in spring.. (iPhone)

Post by djSyndrome »

LeeB99 wrote:Came on here to announce that it is available and saw this thread. About to download...

Edit: tried to run the "lite" edition and after the Cave title screen, it drops me back into my iPad desktop. :x

Glad I didn't pay for the full version. My IOS version exceeds the specifications on the app store and still did the same thing after resetting/rebooting my iPad...

Lee
Is your iPad jailbroken?

FWIW, I've installed the full version on two 1G iPads, an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4G and have had no issues whatsoever. Maybe a problem w/ the Lite version?
Naglfar

Post by Naglfar »

Jockel wrote:My fingers are in the way. :/
This. Small screen + unwieldy control + my own anatomy obstructing my view = frustration. If I ever really bother with iOS shmups in the future it'll be on an iPad.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Naglfar wrote:
Jockel wrote:My fingers are in the way. :/
This. Small screen + unwieldy control + my own anatomy obstructing my view = frustration. If I ever really bother with iOS shmups in the future it'll be on an iPad.
It really is a MUCH bigger problem than on the other two games. It only gets halfway unobtrusive in the smallest screen setting, but at that point everything is so small its heartbreaking. To be honest, my inital playthrough was frustrating, and I had completely forgotten how unsexy rubbing and tapping glass is, especially after playing DSi XL for the last few weeks.

So I just jacked the screen size way up again and decided to just not take this game seriously anymore, and voilá - I´m having fun :lol: I can´t imagine playing this for score at all, but for a quick session while taking a dump it´s pretty neat. I´m just powering up my lock shot and don´t even bother with switching laser, shot, and directions with these fiddly touch buttons, because half of the time I´m not even seeing the "Enemy!" warning signs, let alone the enemies.

And that new soundtrack - oh dear lord. If they release this on iTunes I will buy this without thinking twice.

Oh, and what is going on with the "Getting item info..." stuff in the shop?
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
chempop

Post by chempop »

I'm sure playing this on an iPhone is kinda frustrating, I haven't tried it yet. On the iPad it is really slick, I just wish there wasn't that dead-zone border which occasionally my fingers end up on and my character stops moving.
And that new soundtrack - oh dear lord. If they release this on iTunes I will buy this without thinking twice.
Seriously, I like the original soundtrack a lot, but some of these new songs are unreal, Ex Gorge/Canyon comes to mind.

Since DDP-R got a disk OST, I'm expecting one for this too, normally I wouldn't buy a pricey cave CD - but with this I'd have no choice :P
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
AliceMargatroid

Post by AliceMargatroid »

Do I have really small fingers or do you all have really big fingers?

I can easily see everything and I am not using an iPad.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I do find it funny how you not only fight Sakura, but you buy stuff from her too.
Biting the hand that feeds you, Tiara?

PS: Sakura is HOT.
TonK

Post by TonK »

chempop wrote:I'm sure playing this on an iPhone is kinda frustrating, I haven't tried it yet. On the iPad it is really slick, I just wish there wasn't that dead-zone border which occasionally my fingers end up on and my character stops moving.
Seriously, I like the original soundtrack a lot, but some of these new songs are unreal, Ex Gorge/Canyon comes to mind.

Since DDP-R got a disk OST, I'm expecting one for this too, normally I wouldn't buy a pricey cave CD - but with this I'd have no choice :P
Yeah, it's real tricky to control.

I'm sure I'll never get much better - but it is a fun romp.

Controls are a bit broken.

Age of Kings

Post by Age of Kings »

AliceMargatroid wrote:Do I have really small fingers or do you all have really big fingers?

I can easily see everything and I am not using an iPad.
I'm a woman so my fingers are small(er), and I'm having problems with the control as well. Most commonly, it's when I'm shooting left so I'm using my right thumb to control Tiara, but I accidentally press lock shot or something and I get hit. I wasn't able to complete iPhone mode on novice the first time because of this even though I can easily 1cc the game on standard arcade difficulty on a console.

iPhone mode is great, the storyline is pretty funny, Tiara and Mu are cute, and the music is absolutely fantastic (far better than the original imo), but these kinds of games are simply not suited for a tiny iPod screen for the reasons already stated. It's ruining my enjoyment of an otherwise awesome game.
AliceMargatroid

Age of Kings wrote:Most commonly, it's when I'm shooting left so I'm using my right thumb to control Tiara
I am still using my left thumb while shooting left and I can see perfectly well. I also play with the largest screen setting.

I am scared.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

It may be because I'm tired of the old ones, but the new character art in this seems to beat the pants off of Inoue's originals.

Oh, and I can't believe I'm playing Deathsmiles again. Jesus. :roll:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

AliceMargatroid

I now have 140m in Arcade Mode, I will somehow manage 200m.
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

Now I'm starting to get warmed up to this. Hori gameplay with walls, shop system, lolis, simple scoring...really refreshing. Having no problems with the controls either.

Shit, this might be my new favorite Cave game.
AliceMargatroid

This has to be the Game of the Month for iDevices.
I don't know how you could make a better game for these.

And how about Black Label for DDP and Deathsmiles? It can't be that hard to do that.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Woah, the boss of iPhone Normal is not Tyrannosatan, but a Dream Eater, a huge pink elephant demon, apparently.
And it is brick. o_O

I'm wondering why there's a Preview button at the bottom of the item descriptions.
fagin

Post by fagin »

No problems with the control method here either.

OK... it's different as you need to use both hands, but it isn't difficult imo. Quite intuitive I find.
djSyndrome

Post by djSyndrome »

Icarus wrote:I'm wondering why there's a Preview button at the bottom of the item descriptions.
From Cave World's twitter:
You might use it in a future update...
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

Got to Dream Eater on Normal. Somehow no-missed until the last phase...which totally owned me. Where the hell is my boss practice?
Anyways, iPhone mode seems to be quite a bit more difficult than the arcade mode. Even with full Fairy set (the most expensive things in store atm) I feel a bit underpowered and you get only 3 bombs per credit and such...

BTW anyone got any secret achievements yet?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Treasurance wrote:Got to Dream Eater on Normal. Somehow no-missed until the last phase...which totally owned me. Where the hell is my boss practice?
Anyways, iPhone mode seems to be quite a bit more difficult than the arcade mode. Even with full Fairy set (the most expensive things in store atm) I feel a bit underpowered and you get only 3 bombs per credit and such...
I'm still feeling underpowered, and I have over 300 to Shot and Laser stats, and over 220 to Defense and Guard stats. A single bullet in EX Castle still takes 2/3 of my health, perhaps because of rank.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Treasurance wrote:Got to Dream Eater on Normal. Somehow no-missed until the last phase...which totally owned me. Where the hell is my boss practice?

BTW anyone got any secret achievements yet?
I need to see this pink elephant. Upload to Youtube PLZ?
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

Lol, perfected Dream Eater now, the last phase could be trivialized by using lockshot
RNGmaster wrote:I need to see this pink elephant. Upload to Youtube PLZ?
maybe, if Display Recorder can handle this shit...
EDIT: It can't.
Rebel Ninja

Post by Rebel Ninja »

I was put off at first by the controls but once I got used to them I really started enjoying the game. My top score so far is 208,877,636 with Rosa. It seems the “power up” mode lasts much longer than in the 360 version. Also I noticed they added a rank select for the castle and canyon. Does anyone know if selecting rank 3 for these stages automatically introduces “death mode” or if it is the same as the 360 version (5 stages at rank 3)?
TonK

Post by TonK »

Rebel Ninja wrote:I was put off at first by the controls but once I got used to them I really started enjoying the game. My top score so far is 208,877,636 with Rosa. It seems the “power up” mode lasts much longer than in the 360 version. Also I noticed they added a rank select for the castle and canyon. Does anyone know if selecting rank 3 for these stages automatically introduces “death mode” or if it is the same as the 360 version (5 stages at rank 3)?
I'm closing in on you.

Feel free to add me on Game Center.

pentarou

Post by pentarou »

Treasurance wrote:BTW anyone got any secret achievements yet?
One Hit Kill - Lost all your lives to one bullet

Credit-fed my way to Hades Castle on iPhone Hard and lost my last two credits in the first three minutes of the stage ;_;

Here's what I can see on my list so far:
Opening Salvo - Started Arcade Mode - 5pts
Resurrection - Continued once while playing - 5pts
Infernal Scythe - Defeated Deathscythe - 5pts
Buried Alive - Defeated Jordan - 5pts
Putting down Roots - Defeated Whroon - 5pts
Successor - Defeated Sakura - 15pts
Boss Milking - Defeated Mary - 10pts :roll: :roll: :roll:
Flame Dragon - Defeated Bavaria - 10pts
The Twin Wyrms - Defeated Devaria and Givaria - 10pts
Gatekeeper - Defeated Jitterbug - 20pts
Emperor of Darkness - Defeated Tyrannosatan - 30pts
Descent to Hell - Selected Difficulty L3 five times when playing - 15pts
To Hell and Back - Clear the Gorge and Hades Castle having selected L3 for all stages - 50pts
Mission Complete - Completed Arcade Mode without continuing - 50pts
Explosives Prohibited - Clear Arcade Mode without using any bombs - 20pts
Eldest Daughter - Clear the game with Rosa - 5pts
Second Daughter - Clear the game with Follett - 5pts
Third Daughter - Clear the game with Windia - 5pts
Fourth Daughter - Clear the game with Casper - 5pts
Magic-user - Earned 10,000,000 points in Arcade Mode - 10pts
Angel through the Darkness - Earned 50,000,000 points in Arcade Mode - 20pts
Destructive Goddess - Earn 100,000,000 points in Arcade Mode - 30pts
Power of a Sorceress - Started iPhone Mode - 5pts
Alchemist - Succeeded at a Boss Transformation Action - 5pts
Treasure for ME! - Got a treasure item - 5pts
Rare Silver - Got a silver rank treasure item - 10pts
Rare Gold - Got a gold rank treasure item - 30pts
Unique Item! - Got a unique item - 30pts (Anyone found one of these yet?)
True Power Unleashed - Collect 9 of the same item - 10pts
They're All Mine - Collect all items - 30pts
Power UP - Equipped an item - 5pts
Full Power - Equipped an item on each location - 10pts
First Purchase - Bought an item - 5pts
Fat Pockets - Purchased a total of 100 items - 15pts
First Sale - Sold an item - 5pts
Hawking My Wares - Sold a total of 100 items - 15pts
Billionaire - Collected 10,000 gold - 10pts
Splendid Billionaire - Collected 100,000 gold - 20pts
Illustrious Billionaire - Collected 1,000,000 gold - 30pts
Victory without Harm - Cleared iPhone Mode without continuing - 30pts
4 Fallen Angel Sisters - Defeated the 4 Fallen Angel Sisters - 15pts
Dreameater - Defeated the Sleep Demon Dreameater - 30pts
Severe Queen - Disciplined Mu for his actions - 5pts
Together Forever - Forgave Mu for his actions - 5pts
Stubborn Royal - Earned 100,000,000 points in iPhone mode - 10pts
Restless Princess - Earned 200,000,000 points in iPhone mode - 20pts
Cold Monarch - Earned 300,000,000 points in iPhone mode - 30pts
One Hit Kill - Lost all your lives to one bullet - 5pts
? - ? - 20pts
? - ? - 30pts
? - ? - 5pts
? - ? - 15pts
? - ? - 30pts
? - ? - 5pts
? - ? - 5pts
? - ? - 5pts
Incidentally, there are a few item bonuses:

Fairy Shoes: +40 shot, +40 laser, +90 guard -> Fairy Shoes x9: +60 shot, +60 laser, +135 guard (+50%)
(Aw man, seriously? I'm not that interested in grinding normal mode for 9 of everything ...)

Knight Set bonus (+50%)
Iron Mace +60 shot +40 def -> 90 shot, 60 def
Iron Circlet +30 mag +50 def -> 45 mag, 75 def
Iron Plate +30 def + 50 guard -> 45 def, 75 guard
Iron Greaves +30 laser, +50 guard -> 45 laser, 75 guard

Fairy Set bonus total: Shot 180, Laser 60, Lock 60, Mag 180, Def 195, Guard 270. I don't think this stacks with the x9 bonus, and the Fairy Shoes are still only +50%. I don't have enough gold to buy nine of all of the set items yet, so can't confirm if there's a difference if you have 9 of all of them.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Picked this up, and I've been playing a bit now. Has anyone else run into an issue with the game crashing on the options/controls page? (I'm playing on a version 1 iPad.) It would also be nice if the game supported rotation, it seems to be "backwards" compared to other horizontal games, which wouldn't be a big deal, except that this screen orientation means that I have to cover up the iPad speaker to hold the iPad while playing, muffling the sound.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
humasect

Post by humasect »

With auto shot option off (where there is both Left and Right shot buttons), How does one shoot the laser? In iPhone mode, I notice Tiara shoots Laser when firing starts but it becomes regular Shot quickly. I don't understand this =)
zackforbing

Post by zackforbing »

i believe you just hold either button.
humasect

Post by humasect »

zackforbing wrote:i believe you just hold either button.
Ah sorry, I forgot to mention that with Auto Shot set to OFF, the buttons for Left and Right shot are held for normal Shot already. I cannot figure how to use the Laser with this option turned off still.
pentarou

Post by pentarou »

Tap for shot, hold for laser.

Also, in-app paid items forthcoming. (Boooo! Maybe if the game was $0.99...)
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

pentarou wrote:Also, in-app paid items forthcoming. (Boooo! Maybe if the game was $0.99...)
YES
I'll buy it, be it Mega Black Label (or Ice Palace for iPhone mode at least), better sound quality (yes, I'd pay for this, OST quality plz) or just high level equipment (to make Hard mode doable)

but what the fuck is wrong with people having problems with the pricing? The game's a steal even at 7€ and a bit of DLC is only a good thing...
pentarou

Post by pentarou »

Treasurance wrote:but what the fuck is wrong with people having problems with the pricing? The game's a steal even at 7€ and a bit of DLC is only a good thing...
I'm OK with gameplay modes and new stages, the pricing doesn't bother me that much. But I'm not sure I like the idea of buying items that just change your stats around a little bit...