Deathsmiles coming in spring.. (iPhone)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
pentarou

Re: Deathsmiles coming in spring.. (iPhone)

Post by pentarou »

Yeah, I'll agree that this is a bit on the ridiculous side. Already invested quite a bit of time into that item list though, and I've bought the drop rate item already, so I might as well finish what I started.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

StarCreator wrote:
Kaspal wrote:THEY ARE CHARGING YOU 2 DOLARS FOR A +5 CONTINUE!!!
And the first question to come to my mind is, how much does a continue cost at the local arcade?
So, you buy, say, a PCB to put some coins in to play? and then forget about the coins (so, someone else, collects them afterwards)? i dont think so...

the same should happen with BOUGHT games. if they're selling you something that really expands the game, i dont have a problem with that, but what they are doing is plain ridiculous in MY book.
Icarus wrote:£1.99 for each weapon, and £2.49 for the Lucky Charm? Errr, no, I think I'll stick to Arcade Mode now. :/
Was hoping for more of a tweak to drop rates, but guess I won't bother with the hunt now.
Those are the kind of items that you SHOULD get if you worked hard on playing... but not even then you get them. now, wanna sell them? ok, why not bundle them and then sell them?

like i said, they're milking the fans with this game... and im not letting them milk me that way... not buying a thing for this game... for now at least.
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
bcass

Post by bcass »

The livefeed was hilarious. I was impressed that they answered *every* question from foreign fans. All this DLC stuff reeks a little of desperation though. It's total nonsense DLC, not substantial extra game modes. The new games look yawnsom too. I bet they'll flop hard, like most of the rest of Cave's non-shmup titles. Galuda 2 HD should have been an in-game update, not a completely separate title. It's not like they've had to redraw anything, they can just use the HD assets from the 360 port.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Interestingly, while the character special weapons (Wing Blade, Death Scissors, Wand of Justice, Thorny Whip) are classed as "unique", you can actually get more than one of them. I wonder if they're also affected by the x9 item stock bonus?
pentarou

Post by pentarou »

Image Image

Leinyan is kinda weak even in Power Up mode (above), but a lot of fun to use, comes with the original laser's sound effects. But also not worth $3.

TBH I think this should be priced $.99 if not included in the game outright. It only changes the laser, and doesn't touch the regular and lock shot effects, which is pretty ridiculous for pay DLC at this high of a price point.

Updated: Item list (89%) - Set bonuses (missing a few) - Achievements (missing one).

2ch seems to think there's a bonus for having 9 of a unique, which would be nice as the existing set bonuses for the uniques aren't all that great. (lol "cloth headband") I have three Wands of Justice, if I reach nine I'll let you know. Kinda burning out on this game now that drop rates are lolbroken though.
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

dunno if this has been noted before, but if you touch 3 glowing spots on the map screen you'll have an arranged version of deathsmiles image song playing during the next stage

found this semi-accidentally
Exarion

Post by Exarion »

There are people complaining about the in-app purchases now, and it also looks like the drop rate might have been slightly reduced. The in-app items this time are very powerful, with the lucky charm being way better than anything else for drop rate. The new weapons are all outdone slightly by blue lantern in terms of stats, though I haven't bought any of them so I do not know if the altered attacks make a difference. I'm still not going to buy any of these things, though some of the drops added are very useful.

Also, the glowing spots on the map appear in both arcade and iPhone mode. Arcade mode will play the original, non arrage image song (I think), while iPhone mode plays the arrange.
pentarou

Post by pentarou »

Not sure which is which, but both Arcade and iPhone mode cycle through two different versions of the image song, I believe it is probably four different versions total but don't like the image song enough to pay attention.

Lucky Charm does increase rare drop rate from bosses; I now have 4x Haunt Scissors and 9x Satan Doll. I'm starting to realize that the original horrible drop rate is probably intentional, and probably modeled after the hordes of free-to-play MMORPGs. Someone in management likely thought this would be a Good Idea, maybe even the same geniuses who thought that Americans would seriously play a Facebook-centric horse racing simulator. Perhaps they are overestimating their reach as a game company in the overseas market dot dot dot

...I hope someone over there realizes that users paying for a (now USD $12) game on the iPhone expect a complete feature set on purchase, with DLC only as a bonus, not as a requirement for enjoyment of the game.

But enough of that. I bit and picked up the unique DLC weapons out of curiosity, and have had some time to use them.
  • Like the Angels' uniques, the actual power of the weapon is disproportionate to the shot/laser/lock stats. All of the items have a set bonus, some with just an accessory, some with accessory + armor.
  • Resurrection (DFK) is easily the strongest. Shot of 400-500 will allow you to destroy pretty much everything in Hard Mode. It's probably stronger than the Wing Blade, despite a lower numeric Shot power.
  • Blissful Death (DOJ) is fairly strong for a laser. I appreciate that it also looks and sounds pretty cool. At a Laser of about 700, it starts to be useful for Hard Mode and you can plow through stages with ease.
  • Hamaya Arrow (Guwange) comes with a fairly weak Laser shot, and a very strong cluster-bomb-ish Lock shot which destroys bosses ... for the most part; some bosses are hard to hit with the Lock shot. It might be stronger than Resurrection, but its being a Lock shot severely limits its practicality in later stages with suicide bullets.
  • Golden Horn (Mushihime) is incredibly strong when powered up, but is pretty weak otherwise, even with a Shot of 700-800.
  • EVAC Unit (Ketsui) - I'm not sure why the Ketsui weapon is so weak, but it is. I suspect it's meant for score runs in powered up mode (4x option + laser + 4x gold = profit?) I'm not even sure what stat to boost to make it stronger; it replaces your Laser shot.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Hey, Pentarou, do you think you could share your savegame with us? i'm in the middle of something with this game, and a savegame with (mostly) full stats should help me understand certain parts. Dont worry, it's not about making a trainer or something...

thanks.
pentarou

Post by pentarou »

itemlist - achievements - set bonuses

@Kaspal - Not sure how to extract save data, don't have a jailbroken iPod.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Hello there, Pentarou.

theres many ways of backing up your data, the easiest way is with a jailbroken device, go in thru SSH and navigate the Applications folder.... now, if you dont have a jailbroken device, you can follow this tutorial:
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-b ... ing-2011-3

it's pretty easy... so, if you have a lil time, would you please share the save.dat file (its in the Documents folder of the game), please?

thanks.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

I just bought Lucky Charm, Resurrection and Blissful Death. With actual money. Virtual items on an iPhone game. I feel like such a dumb consumer whore, but I just couldn´t help it. Now I know what buying gold in WoW must feel like :?

On the other hand, I really enjoy these items, even if it´s highly gimmicky and those definitely should have been in the game from the start. Oh well, I have no self control today :roll:
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Frederik wrote:I just bought Lucky Charm, Resurrection and Blissful Death. With actual money. Virtual items on an iPhone game. I feel like such a dumb consumer whore, but I just couldn´t help it. Now I know what buying gold in WoW must feel like :?

On the other hand, I really enjoy these items, even if it´s highly gimmicky and those definitely should have been in the game from the start. Oh well, I have no self control today :roll:
Do you think you could contribute with my "research" too?... i kinda have it all figured out, but somehow, theres a hash thats driving me insane (too many combinations to try on), and your savefile could help me understand better.

just for the record, my own savegame is at 72% completion ... but im kinda tired of grinding already.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

I don´t have my iPod jailbroken, though I´ve been toying with that idea. If I do I can contribute, sure :)

And yeah, the drop rate with the lucky charm is insane. In easy it seems normal, but on the other difficulties the items just drop all the time. I once got 3 demon shoes within 10 seconds. And that DDPDFK shot is insanely overpowered as well, at least in Normal and Easy, and very useful since it´s so wide. The Mushi shot is crap, though, and I think I will keep my money from now on and not buy the Guwange and Ketsui shots.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Frederik wrote:I don´t have my iPod jailbroken, though I´ve been toying with that idea. If I do I can contribute, sure :)

And yeah, the drop rate with the lucky charm is insane. In easy it seems normal, but on the other difficulties the items just drop all the time. I once got 3 demon shoes within 10 seconds. And that DDPDFK shot is insanely overpowered as well, at least in Normal and Easy, and very useful since it´s so wide. The Mushi shot is crap, though, and I think I will keep my money from now on and not buy the Guwange and Ketsui shots.
Well, you dont need to jailbreak the iPod to browse your files. if you wish, you can follow this guide:
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-b ... ing-2011-3

and obtain the same results (grab the files from the Documents folder, and share them with me).

thanks.

PS: if you wanna try to jailbreak your device, i can guide you thru the process... but like i said b4, its not mandatory (yet, it opens a whole new world for your device...)
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

Kaspal wrote: PS: if you wanna try to jailbreak your device, i can guide you thru the process... but like i said b4, its not mandatory (yet, it opens a whole new world for your device...)
EVERYONE SING ALONG
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

RNGmaster wrote:
Kaspal wrote: PS: if you wanna try to jailbreak your device, i can guide you thru the process... but like i said b4, its not mandatory (yet, it opens a whole new world for your device...)
EVERYONE SING ALONG
Lol, nice one... hehe...

if anyone else wanna join my crusade, i'd be glad to see them join in ... like i said, i've done some research and i've got a lot of stuff figured out, but still need some saves to work with.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

For those that haven't noticed, there's a sale on Deathsmiles' in-app purchases this weekend - the DLC weapons are $1.99 and the other DLC items are $0.99, including the Lucky Charm.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

I had intended to not buy any items with real money, but if the Lucky Charm is so great maybe I should spend the dollar.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*