Xbox 360: Akai Katana Shin (May 2011)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TrevHead (TVR)

Re: Xbox 360: Akai Katana Shin (May 2011)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

@CAGAR

Its not as if CAVE are churning brand new shooters out atm mate. You have a J360? IIRC there is a demo on JPN XBLA
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

The Akai Katana Shin demo on the Japanese marketplace doesn't require a Japanese 360.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

dunpeal2064 wrote:never would have guessed that this is a thread for Akai Katana :lol:
Yeah the lack of PAL gamers talking about the game is worrying. Does nearly every PAL gamer have J360 or something?

Anyway I wonder if this game will click with players who just want to shoot shit and dodge bullets, as the mechanics take a bit of getting used. Imo anyone who likes to play for score (even casual scorers like I am) will appreciate this better.

I'm still waiting for Eurogamer to review it, Usually those guys jump at the chance to review CAVE shmups
GamesTM gave it a 6/10 http://www.gamestm.co.uk/reviews/akai-k ... in-review/ all the other sites have been giving 8s
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote: GamesTM gave it a 6/10 http://www.gamestm.co.uk/reviews/akai-k ... in-review/ all the other sites have been giving 8s
That review is crap. He lambasts it for being too easy but is happy to pass over Deathsmiles without any similar judgement.

It's a better game than Deathsmiles too.
The problem with Akai Katana, even with its three variations in Origin, Slash and Climax, is that there’s nothing here that we haven’t seen in other shoot-’em-ups on Xbox 360.
Now that's what I call an expert opinion.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Well I didn't buy it because I still aren't finished with dfk and deathsmiles. I'll definately get it eventually though.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Words to live by.

Slightly more on topic: I think everyone would be better off expecting all reviews of a shooting game to be awful, and take the odd one that's written by someone who knows wtf they're talking about as a nice surprise.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Can't wait for the inevitable "1 hour game" and "no upgradable weapons" reviews.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

AntiFritz wrote:Well I didn't buy it because I still aren't finished with dfk and deathsmiles. I'll definately get it eventually though.
Oh I know what you mean, considering i've had my 360 for only 9 months and much of that time ive either been ill, busy or whatever, so ive only just scratched the surface of most of my 360 shmups.

Still Ive gotta support RSG and buy at launch, even if its mostly for the selfish reason that I want Mushihisama HD (+ masuri DLC) localised along with any other shmup.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

iconoclast wrote:Image

Words to live by.

Slightly more on topic: I think everyone would be better off expecting all reviews of a shooting game to be awful, and take the odd one that's written by someone who knows wtf they're talking about as a nice surprise.
Well, AFAIK, Ray Barnholt's doing the review for 1up, and that dude knows his stuff. As far as the major outlets go, that's the most reasonable review you're going to get.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

PAL gamer here (No Jap Xbox). I bought it to support CAVE/RSG. Loving the game what more can i say?. CAVE make the best STG's.

Did Rising Star Games give a reason for not including a music soundtrack CD?. I am not complaining and i am very happy with the game. I told friends/strangers online to buy it.
Gamertag: Alfred Saxon
Arcade: ENG
1up

Post by 1up »

Waiting for the game to turn up. Should be in the mail tomorrow.
hwl

Post by hwl »

amazon.de says mine will be shipping May 26th, which would be ok as I'am still quite busy playing Futari, DFK and Deathsmiles.
TrevHead (TVR) wrote:[...] I want Mushihisama HD (+ masuri DLC) localised [...]
Yeah, that would be awesome!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:
dunpeal2064 wrote:never would have guessed that this is a thread for Akai Katana :lol:
Yeah the lack of PAL gamers talking about the game is worrying. Does nearly every PAL gamer have J360 or something?
Lack of local distribution (Australia got ignored completely this time) means I'm gonna have to wait a couple of months before I can import and play it, and I'll certainly comment on it in more thorough detail when I get hold of it, otherwise by all means I'd be talking about how good it is and whether I can actually see stuff on my TV or not. :P
Marc

Post by Marc »

Skykid wrote:
Marc wrote:Just hope it's more ProGear than DeathSmiles.
It's much closer to Progear, even in the economy of its scoring system (cashing in your Katana in Shin has a similar feel about it.)
Nice, despite the fact that I should love DS (it's probably the closest match to my megre skills Cave have put out), it actually bores me slightly for reasons I can't pinpoint.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
nZero

Post by nZero »

Hi. I made the Akai Katana Shin thread shorter. Apologies to authors of any half-relevant posts that got lost in the shuffle. Please continue discussing Akai Katana Shin here, especially since the recent PAL+NA release means there's something to discuss.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Do they sell this for NTSC-J anywhere?
Play-asia is out of stock, and ebay is pretty much empty.
:(
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Not going to pay that much for something which doesn't enhance the gameplay in any special way. I'm looking for the non-limited edition
Gus

Post by Gus »

Cagar wrote: Not going to pay that much for something which doesn't enhance the gameplay in any special way.
But teh box!!!!!!!!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Cagar wrote: Not going to pay that much for something which doesn't enhance the gameplay in any special way. I'm looking for the non-limited edition
Assuming you've only got a JP 360 then? Stick up a WTB in the trading station, someone should have a regular ed. for you for fairly cheap.

DragonInstall

Post by DragonInstall »

This is my favorite Cave shmup game to date(not by a lot but still the best). But it's also one of the easiest ones to clear(Only one where I can no miss the game).

The appeal comes from the amazing visuals in art / style / design / voices / music, also the scoring is incredibly fun and addicting. Something about point blanking to build orbs, then katanas, then throwing it into a screen full of enemies and bullets with huge ass gold swarming out of each one. The game just gives an overall feeling that you're doing something amazing with every movement.

The best part is that you don't need to be a pro or talented to fully enjoy every aspect of this game. Even the novice mode is well designed, because it still offers a good challenge(much more so than any other cave novice mode). This is the perfect game to introduce someone into shmups, or to someone who doesn't have much time. Just put that sucker in and kill everything on screen.

Oh btw this is for Shin mode. The other two modes don't interest me much compared to Shin.
Espgaluda III needs to happen.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Cagar wrote:Do they sell this for NTSC-J anywhere?
videogameimports.com

New £33.90 ex. VAT / £38.99 inc. VAT
2nd Hand £29.57 ex. VAT / £34.00 inc. VAT
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

emphatic wrote:
Cagar wrote:Do they sell this for NTSC-J anywhere?
videogameimports.com

New £33.90 ex. VAT / £38.99 inc. VAT
2nd Hand £29.57 ex. VAT / £34.00 inc. VAT
100% Scam-free?
No paypal there...
EDIT: Stupid me, ordering now.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

DragonInstall wrote:addicting
Why I oughta...

Teufel_in_Blau

Post by Teufel_in_Blau »

Man, can't wait. Just a week and a half until the game gets released here. I will check out our local Gamestop here in Germany. To my surprise they even had Deadsmiles. It's kinda odd in a crazy cool way to see CAVE shmups being sold here in retail.

Also I was a little scared it won't get a release since DTP entertainment, the publisher, is insolvent now. But apparently AK gets released here, I haven't heard any canceling yet.
GaijinPunch wrote:I don't have 40 minutes to do anything other than fist myself these days.
blag

Post by blag »

Another Pal only player here. I'm primarily a fighting game player so don't have the interest (or resources) for a J360.

Got AK on release day and am absolutely loving it. I've only really been playing Shin/Slash mode so far and it's a real joy to play. Current best scores are only around the 200-250m mark but when I have more time I'll definitely be putting more time into learning how to improve that.

Big thanks to RSG for bringing the game to the PAL region and I really hope it's worth their risk.
Last edited by blag on Tue May 15, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

I picked up a copy on Saturday to offer support for PAL shmups but I don't expect to get around to it for a little while. I had a credit feed run when I got it home and I am very happy with it on first impressions, although I had no idea what I was doing score-wise.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Cool nice to see that others have bought it :)

I watched that giantbomb vid and they loaded up a replay of the top scorer, it seems that the US and PAL versions are sharing leaderboads :)
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Gah, some of those Giantbomb comments make my head hurt. And of course someone had to namedrop Ikaruga as shmup perfection :roll: