What is a shmup!!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
harrihaffi

Re: What is a shmup!!

Post by harrihaffi »

BIL wrote:
harrihaffi wrote:Yes there is the loop move but you can only use it like three times a stage! When I play I allmost never use it... And then there is the fact that Every vertical shmup that I.ve play has something like the loop unlease it has a ground attack like xevious and legendary wings...
Psyvariar and Ikaruga don't have anything like 1942's loop, or ground attacks, and virtually no other shooters have their Buzz (not graze) or polarity mechanics. Yet you accept them. So yes, to answer your original question, you're wrong.

The vast majority of people here are going to regard bare-bones stuff like 1942 as the foundation on which more diverse shooters were built. You'd do well to read undamned's post, which is really the only reply this topic requires.
When I said that 1942 loop is in other games I was accually thinking about psyvariar. Because just like the loop the bombs in psyvariar makes you invinsible for a short time... and there are bombs in most other shmups if I'm not totally mistaken... Notice: I'm not saying that all shmups have bombs or loops but most do, don't they?
I haven't played Ikaruga...so I shouldn't really say anything about it...And this time I won't...

MVHH
BIL

Post by BIL »

"Has bombs" is way too vague a term to mark genres by. There are dozens of variations on the basic idea across what this forum accepts as "shmups," and not all grant invincibility. And plenty of shooters with even fairly traditional bombs also have very specific, unique mechanics that'd disqualify them from your 1942 model. Like the three Psyvariar games. :lol:

Also, no, most shooters that I'm aware of from the past two decades don't have anything resembling 1942's loop. The only ones I can think of are direct sequels to it.

This is pointless to debate, obviously. It's a personal definition and entirely up to you. But it also seems a bit pointless to exclude as "different" games that obviously share a basic template with 1942 and Xevious (or Defender / Scramble) and simply built on it.
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

BIL wrote:"Has bombs" is way too vague a term to mark genres by. There are dozens of variations on the basic idea across what this forum accepts as "shmups," and not all grant invincibility. And plenty of shooters with even fairly traditional bombs also have very specific, unique mechanics that'd disqualify them from your 1942 model. Like the three Psyvariar games. :lol:

Also, no, most shooters that I'm aware of from the past two decades don't have anything resembling 1942's loop. The only ones I can think of are direct sequels to it.

This is pointless to debate, obviously. It's a personal definition and entirely up to you. But it also seems a bit pointless to exclude as "different" games that obviously share a basic template with 1942 and Xevious (or Defender / Scramble) and simply built on it.
Never said that the bomb marks the genre, but it's not that uncommon. It's that game play of 1942 that markes the genre or at least what I consider to be the genre. The loop or bomb never really matter that much to me, because I don't wanna win by spaming bombs. I like to dodge enemies and their bullets and ocassionaly shot some of them. I think this is a pretty good discription of 1942. Sure there are somethings in 1942 that don't exist in other shmups, but this is probably the game that is most true to the word shmup. Notice: I am by no means trying to say that other shmups are bad examples only that 1942 is a better example of what a shmup is.
It may be a question of personal opinion, but I don't think it should be. Cause I don't think of games like astroids, metal slug, star blade and smash TV as shmups. Some of them I don't like because of the gameplay some of them I like not because they are good shmups, but good games of and other genre. And when I look for shmups, this is what I find at first, but then one of these games or a game like these games pop up and I don't think I real understand why...

MVHH
dpful

Post by dpful »

Anyone who uses the word "shmup" for any thing but a shmup (robotron's certainly not a shmup, duh), steps on all shmup lovers toes.
Any one who says "STGs" need to grow some balls and use the proper baby word, "shmups".
Anyone who says "shooters" needs to get with the times.
Wonderbanana

Post by Wonderbanana »

dpful wrote: Anyone who says "shooters" needs to get with the times.
Nah, I prefer that term myself. Or at least shoot-em up anyways.

No one would have had a frakking clue what a shmup was back in the day. :wink:

Shmup is lik thse fkin txt msgs I gt tht I cn nvr undrstd.
BIL

Post by BIL »

harrihaffi wrote:It may be a question of personal opinion, but I don't think it should be. Cause I don't think of games like astroids, metal slug, star blade and smash TV as shmups.
btw, this forum doesn't consider Metal Slug or Star Blade on-topic either, so you're good there. For god's sake, just don't go trying to declare Gradius or R-Type off-topic, and you'll be happy here.
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

I like the term "shmup" because it's short, but if someone asks me what that is, I say it's a scrolling shooter game. Everyone seems to know what that is. It's a game like Gradius or Raiden and it evolved from Galaga. Crystal clear.
SWY: Games are just for fun
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

I'm surprised nobody got my brilliant reference to Doom: Repercussions of Evil. I seriously think this guy is Peter Chimaera.
esreveR

Post by esreveR »

Shmups are GAMES WHERE YOU SHOOT CRAP (and occasionally dodge crap shot at you as well, but if you're good you should be killing the baddies before that happens).

At least by my definition.
WARNING: TARGET APPROACHING!!
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

Actually I find that in modern shmups I spend at least as much time dodging as I do shooting.

So they are really dodgmups. :lol:
SWY: Games are just for fun
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

doctorx0079 wrote:Actually I find that in modern shmups I spend at least as much time dodging as I do shooting.

Try playing them pacifist and see if you still stand behind that statement.
Dale

Post by Dale »

doctorx0079 wrote:Actually I find that in modern shmups I spend at least as much time dodging as I do shooting.

Dmups or Dumps, Barbie Super Model for Mega Drive was the pioneer of the isometric dump genre.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
Hair

Post by Hair »

dpful wrote:Anyone who uses the word "shmup" for any thing but a shmup (robotron's certainly not a shmup, duh), steps on all shmup lovers toes.
Why is Robotron not a Shmup? It has every element that makes a Shmup. You dodge bullets and shoot enemies using an on-screen avatar. what about Bangai-O?

Obviously Shmup is not in the dictionary, so everyone has a personal definition. If you don't think Robotron or Metal Slug is a Shmup, that's fine, but my wider definition doesn't step on anyone's toes. In Metal Slug, Robotron, R-Type, and DDP, you are doing the same basic thing even if the control scheme is different. People often exclude games as Shmups, but have no reason to explain why.

I am a Shmup lover. Of all Shmups. Even the ones you don't consider Shmups. I don't consider you less of a Shmup lover for your narrow definition that excludes games based on... well... you'll have to tell me why Robotron is not a Shmup. Shmups don't have to scroll. The background appearing to move has little to do with the gameplay. See: rRootage.

What I can't believe is how many posts there are dicussing bombs. A Shmup doesn't need bombs, or power-ups. It's completely irrelevant to the discussion. See: Noiz2sa. They are common, not mandatory.
That's so Raiden
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

It's a genre label, not a word describing a Thing That Exists. It's there for convenience and clarity, to communicate a category/collection of ideas. Until, you know, things get confused. Games like Robotron and Metal Slug both seem like pretty clear-cut cases of shooter sub-genres to me - twin stick arena shooters and run n guns, respectively. They, along with games like Gradius/1942/R-Type all seem like they belong on the same Venn diagram, even if they won't all be in the middle (a jump button especially seems like a sticking point for a lot of people - too close to being a platformer, which is seen as a very different genre from shooters altogether. But of course you have early shooters that have jump buttons, like Radical Radial; and Jump Bug - the OG scrolling platformer - was as much a shooter as anything ... it didn't actually have a jump button).

harri here seems like he's looking for some sort of ultra-generic archetype/protoform that will perfectly represent the genre. Such a game does not exist, has not ever. Before the term evolved to describe the dominant forms, and the concepts became more culturally codified, there was so much variety - these older games games (ie. Asteroids, Defender, Robotron, Space Invaders - some of which are THE games many people think of when they think of 'shooter', but would be excluded by some of the arbitrary definitions being tossed around here) have sort of been grandfathered in, and either are just called shmups generically or get their own sub-genre labels if there are enough games like it.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

Hair wrote:
dpful wrote:Anyone who uses the word "shmup" for any thing but a shmup (robotron's certainly not a shmup, duh), steps on all shmup lovers toes.
Why is Robotron not a Shmup? It has every element that makes a Shmup. You dodge bullets and shoot enemies using an on-screen avatar. what about Bangai-O?

Obviously Shmup is not in the dictionary, so everyone has a personal definition. If you don't think Robotron or Metal Slug is a Shmup, that's fine, but my wider definition doesn't step on anyone's toes. In Metal Slug, Robotron, R-Type, and DDP, you are doing the same basic thing even if the control scheme is different. People often exclude games as Shmups, but have no reason to explain why.

I am a Shmup lover. Of all Shmups. Even the ones you don't consider Shmups. I don't consider you less of a Shmup lover for your narrow definition that excludes games based on... well... you'll have to tell me why Robotron is not a Shmup. Shmups don't have to scroll. The background appearing to move has little to do with the gameplay. See: rRootage.

What I can't believe is how many posts there are dicussing bombs. A Shmup doesn't need bombs, or power-ups. It's completely irrelevant to the discussion. See: Noiz2sa. They are common, not mandatory.
Robotron is a twinstick shoter, if I'm not mistaken(Haven't played it only seen gameplay) It belongs to a pretty well known genre! Why should it be called a shmup allso? And Metal slug is a shoter/platformer! Bangai-O seems to be even worse! It seems to be a twin stick shoter with more freedom! (I haven't played this game so if I'm wrong please do correct me) Freedom to move at your own pace! While in a shmup you don't have this choise! shmups may not allways have scrolling backgrounds, but the enemies are scrolling...(they turn up at a point they are programed to vs you going to the area where thay appear or are placed)

I think nobody is saying a shmup needs bombs to be called a shmup, but if somebody did they would be right like 1/4 times. (at least) So one could allmost say that bombs(that make you invinsible for a short time not all bombs) are one of the elements that make a shmup a shmup!

MVHH
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

harrihaffi wrote: MVHH
Why are you signing your posts?
You have a username. You don't need to sign your name at the bottom of all of your posts as well.
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

RNGmaster wrote:
harrihaffi wrote: MVHH
Why are you signing your posts?
You have a username. You don't need to sign your name at the bottom of all of your posts as well.
Kinda a habit I have!

MVHH
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

There's also a singature option. If you feel so hard the need to have a signature, you could just configure your signature in your profile. It would make posts more organized and less clunky
toaplan_shmupfan

Post by toaplan_shmupfan »

So I've always treated "shmup" as short for shoot-em-up. Therefore, I generally qualify that with the type of shmup.
  • Space Invaders, Galaxian, Galaga--fixed shmup, because the ship is fixed on one axis.
  • Gaplus, Sky Shark, Twin Cobra, 1942, Varth--vertical shumps.
  • Scramble, Super Cobra, ThunderForce III/IV/V, Gradius series, Section Z--horizontal shumps, not just because the main scrolling direction is horizontal but also that that the orientiation of the ship is horizontal.
  • Zaxxon, Viewpoint--Isometric shmups.
  • Asteroids, Robotron 2084, Smash TV--arena shmups, even though Asteroids can wrap around within the arena. (Total Carnage is sort of a hybrid vertical scroller and arena shmup).
  • Contra series, Metal Slug series--platform shmups, the primary game mechanic is still shooting but with added jumping.
  • Ikari Warriors, Heavy Barrel, Commando, MERCS--run and gun shmups because the primary mechanic is still shooting.
  • Star Wars, Star Raiders, Star Trek, Star Fire, StarBlade--they are still shmups just from within the spaceship view rather than an outside the ship view. I tend to want to call them inward scrolling shmups because of that.
Yeah, I know, some want to only limit the definition of shmups to the horizontal and vertical scrolling airplane and spaceship games. They can certainly do that.
renardqueenston

Post by renardqueenston »

Any one who says "STGs" need to grow some balls and use the proper baby word, "shmups".
Anyone who says "shooters" needs to get with the times.
i prefer "shooter" over "shmup" just for ease-of-saying-it. "shmup" also seems more common in europe than north america, but maybe that's just the area of canada i'm in - whereas "STGs" is more popular in japan and whatnot. ~SHMUPPIN' CULTURE~ and all that!
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

We really need to invent a better label for our community.

"Shmup" just sounds silly and lame. Rearrange it a bit and you've got smurfs.

"STG" sounds like a disease. Argh, I've got STGs!

"Shooting game" invites confusion with numerous other genres. One person's shooting game is another person's Half Life.

Lets rebrand ourselves! How about ace games? Being an ace implies flying, and also having the highest kill count. The goal of many shooting games, of course, being to be at the top of the scoreboard. Plus, it just sounds cool. "Yeah, I'm a fan of ace games."
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Blackbird wrote:How about ace games?
Then again
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Hair

Post by Hair »

harrihaffi wrote:Robotron is a twinstick shoter, if I'm not mistaken(Haven't played it only seen gameplay) It belongs to a pretty well known genre! Why should it be called a shmup allso? And Metal slug is a shoter/platformer! Bangai-O seems to be even worse! It seems to be a twin stick shoter with more freedom! (I haven't played this game so if I'm wrong please do correct me) Freedom to move at your own pace! While in a shmup you don't have this choise! shmups may not allways have scrolling backgrounds, but the enemies are scrolling...(they turn up at a point they are programed to vs you going to the area where thay appear or are placed)

I think nobody is saying a shmup needs bombs to be called a shmup, but if somebody did they would be right like 1/4 times. (at least) So one could allmost say that bombs(that make you invinsible for a short time not all bombs) are one of the elements that make a shmup a shmup!
Robotron is a twinstick shooter, I said that in my first post. But twinstick shooters are a subgenre of shmups. Just as old school verts, manics, bullet hell, horis, tube shooters etc... are all sub genres of shmups. Metal slug isn't a platformer, it's a shmup. The gameplay is 99% dodge and shoot. There are very few platforming elements, though it does have them. It is more similar to R-Type than it is to Mario World. It may look more like Mario at first glance, but the core gameplay is 100% shmup.

Again, I ask... why is a twinstick shooter or run-and-gun game not a shmup? What about their gameplay makes them not a shmup? I will say again that, at the core, a shmup is a game with visable, slow-moving bullets which you dodge using your on-screen avatar while shooting enemies. It's simple, and at the heart of every shmup. Why call some of them shmups while others get their own specific genre which only has like 5 games in it?

You make an interesting point about Bangai-O having freedom, but a shmup doesn't have to be linear. A shmup isn't a shmup because you have no freedom, that just happens to be the case most of the time. Bangai-O is pure 100% shmup gameplay. Having a small degree of free-roaming doesn't change that, nor make it another genre. A few shmups do have multiple paths (Blast Wind, Panzer Dragoon 2). Bangai-O represents evolution in the genre, not another genre entirely. If 300 games came out in the wake of Bangai-O that had similar gameplay, then it would become a new genre and need a different name (roaming shmup?... hell, those games would STILL be a subgenre of shmups). In reality, Bangai-O is just a unique shmup.

Edit: The overhead levels in Thunder Force II have as much free-roaming as Bangai-O, and Thunder Force is a classic shmup even with the overhead levels.

The best reason for calling twinstick and run-and-gun games shmups is because shmups have evolved so much over time that only the most inclusive definition makes sense. If Space Invaders is a shmup, and the most modern shmup (with new elements previously unseen in shmups) is still a shmup, then you need to include everything in between. Look at how different R-Type and Ketsui are! I'm pretty sure Robotron can fit in there and not stick out like a sore thumb in a genre so varied. It is a wide, HUGE genre, and that is why we have terms for sub-genres and even have terms for games based on their age/era.

If shmup just means "a vert or hori" then it is a really useless term. Why not just say vert or hori? If you remove many subgenres from the term "shmup", then I can't say I like shmups, I have to say "I like shmups as well as twinstick shooters, rail shooters, tube shooters, run-and-gun games, walk-em-ups with 360 degrees of aiming, etc..." Including all shoot-em-ups under the banner "shmup" makes it less confusing, but only if they share the same core (which my examples do). Picking certain subgenres and removing them from the shmup family at random just makes the term less useful and more confusing.

Many of these subgenres (especially twinstick shooters, rail shooters, run-and-gun) are so small and uncommon that as stand-alone genres they don't make much sense. Adding them to the term "shmup" doesn't glut or convolute the term at all, especially since the games share the same core gameplay, which no other genre has.

Shmup is a wide term, a big family that doesn't care whether a game scrolls or not, has a jump button, has bombs, 360 degree aiming and/or rotation, a dude avatar or a space ship. It is the individual subgenres that get more specific based on what elements are used or not used. Genre=less specific, based on a common core value (metal is metal whether it is Black Sabbath, Slayer, Children of Bodom, or Deicide). Subgenre= more specific, based on inclusion or exclusion of certain elements (classic metal, trash metal, black metal, death metal etc...)

Saying Robotron and Metal Slug aren't shmups is like saying Children of Bodom is techno because it has keyboards and doesn't sound exactly like Slayer.

As time goes on, shmups will keep evolving, so we'd better be prepared for the term to get even wider and wider, and with more and more subgenres. That is *less* confusing than the alternative, which would be to create a new parent genre for every game that brings something new to the shmupping table and saying they can't be shmups.
Last edited by Hair on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's so Raiden
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Hair wrote:Metal slug isn't a platformer, it's a shmup.
I strongly disagree.
In shmups you are supposed to move anywhere around the screen (provided it isn't fixed à la Space Invaders). In Metal Slug, as in any other platforming action/adventure game, you must shoot, melee, and jump. Jump.

Labeling games like Metal Slug as shmups is wrong.
Hair

Post by Hair »

Shmups don't require you to move anywhere on screen. That is common of the genre but not the core and not required. You already have one example of why you are wrong, and there are several others. Centipede, Titanion etc...

Some shmups have a close-range melee weapon. Gunbird, Cybattler, etc... The lack of a melee weapon isn't what makes a game a shmup. And in Metal Slug the knife only automatically takes the place of the gun when the enemy is right next to you. It's more of visual spice than a gameplay changer. It is just a sprite substitution, not a different attack. In Cybattler and Gunbird the melee weapon is assigned another button and proper use of it is part of the gameplay. Are those games not shmups to you because of the melee weapon?

If Ikari Warriors or Guwange had a jump button, would it cease to be a shmup. Hell no. a jump button alone doesn't make a game not a shmup, especially when the jump button is primarily used to dodge bullets... you know... slow moving visable, dodgeable bullets like every single shmup ever. No game that features this is as the core gameplay *not* a shmup. Because of the differences Metal Slug isn't a hori, it's a run-and-gun platforming shmup. Yes it has a different subgenre than, say, Progear. But it's still a shmup. The core gameplay is shmup, not Sonic or Mario.

If you don't call Metal Slug a shmup, that's cool with me. But I'm definitly not "wrong", nor am I alone. Metal Slug has everything that makes a shmup and nothing that disqualifies it. You are nitpicking at elements that don't make a game a shmup, or not a shmup. They are just peripheral elements which define subgenres of shmup.

In Boogie Wings when your plane explodes you start running along the ground as a human with a pistol and a jump button. The game doesn't cease to be a shmup when this happens. I still feel like I am playing the same genre when I lose my plane in Boogie Wings. Don't you?
That's so Raiden
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Drum wrote:It's a genre label, not a word describing a Thing That Exists. It's there for convenience and clarity, to communicate a category/collection of ideas. Until, you know, things get confused. Games like Robotron and Metal Slug both seem like pretty clear-cut cases of shooter sub-genres to me - twin stick arena shooters and run n guns, respectively. They, along with games like Gradius/1942/R-Type all seem like they belong on the same Venn diagram, even if they won't all be in the middle (a jump button especially seems like a sticking point for a lot of people - too close to being a platformer, which is seen as a very different genre from shooters altogether. But of course you have early shooters that have jump buttons, like Radical Radial; and Jump Bug - the OG scrolling platformer - was as much a shooter as anything ... it didn't actually have a jump button).

harri here seems like he's looking for some sort of ultra-generic archetype/protoform that will perfectly represent the genre. Such a game does not exist, has not ever. Before the term evolved to describe the dominant forms, and the concepts became more culturally codified, there was so much variety - these older games games (ie. Asteroids, Defender, Robotron, Space Invaders - some of which are THE games many people think of when they think of 'shooter', but would be excluded by some of the arbitrary definitions being tossed around here) have sort of been grandfathered in, and either are just called shmups generically or get their own sub-genre labels if there are enough games like it.
I am just gonna quote my post from a few posts up. I liked it that much.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
harrihaffi

Post by harrihaffi »

Hair wrote:
harrihaffi wrote:Robotron is a twinstick shoter, if I'm not mistaken(Haven't played it only seen gameplay) It belongs to a pretty well known genre! Why should it be called a shmup allso? And Metal slug is a shoter/platformer! Bangai-O seems to be even worse! It seems to be a twin stick shoter with more freedom! (I haven't played this game so if I'm wrong please do correct me) Freedom to move at your own pace! While in a shmup you don't have this choise! shmups may not allways have scrolling backgrounds, but the enemies are scrolling...(they turn up at a point they are programed to vs you going to the area where thay appear or are placed)

Robotron is a twinstick shooter, I said that in my first post. But twinstick shooters are a subgenre of shmups. Just as old school verts, manics, bullet hell, horis, tube shooters etc... are all sub genres of shmups. Metal slug isn't a platformer, it's a shmup. The gameplay is 99% dodge and shoot. There are very few platforming elements, though it does have them. It is more similar to R-Type than it is to Mario World. It may look more like Mario at first glance, but the core gameplay is 100% shmup.

Again, I ask... why is a twinstick shooter or run-and-gun game not a shmup? What about their gameplay makes them not a shmup? I will say again that, at the core, a shmup is a game with visable, slow-moving bullets which you dodge using your on-screen avatar while shooting enemies. It's simple, and at the heart of every shmup. Why call some of them shmups while others get their own specific genre which only has like 5 games in it?

You make an interesting point about Bangai-O having freedom, but a shmup doesn't have to be linear. A shmup isn't a shmup because you have no freedom, that just happens to be the case most of the time. Bangai-O is pure 100% shmup gameplay. Having a small degree of free-roaming doesn't change that, nor make it another genre. A few shmups do have multiple paths (Blast Wind, Panzer Dragoon 2). Bangai-O represents evolution in the genre, not another genre entirely. If 300 games came out in the wake of Bangai-O that had similar gameplay, then it would become a new genre and need a different name (roaming shmup?... hell, those games would STILL be a subgenre of shmups). In reality, Bangai-O is just a unique shmup.

Edit: The overhead levels in Thunder Force II have as much free-roaming as Bangai-O, and Thunder Force is a classic shmup even with the overhead levels.

The best reason for calling twinstick and run-and-gun games shmups is because shmups have evolved so much over time that only the most inclusive definition makes sense. If Space Invaders is a shmup, and the most modern shmup (with new elements previously unseen in shmups) is still a shmup, then you need to include everything in between. Look at how different R-Type and Ketsui are! I'm pretty sure Robotron can fit in there and not stick out like a sore thumb in a genre so varied. It is a wide, HUGE genre, and that is why we have terms for sub-genres and even have terms for games based on their age/era.

If shmup just means "a vert or hori" then it is a really useless term. Why not just say vert or hori? If you remove many subgenres from the term "shmup", then I can't say I like shmups, I have to say "I like shmups as well as twinstick shooters, rail shooters, tube shooters, run-and-gun games, walk-em-ups with 360 degrees of aiming, etc..." Including all shoot-em-ups under the banner "shmup" makes it less confusing, but only if they share the same core (which my examples do). Picking certain subgenres and removing them from the shmup family at random just makes the term less useful and more confusing.

Many of these subgenres (especially twinstick shooters, rail shooters, run-and-gun) are so small and uncommon that as stand-alone genres they don't make much sense. Adding them to the term "shmup" doesn't glut or convolute the term at all, especially since the games share the same core gameplay, which no other genre has.

Shmup is a wide term, a big family that doesn't care whether a game scrolls or not, has a jump button, has bombs, 360 degree aiming and/or rotation, a dude avatar or a space ship. It is the individual subgenres that get more specific based on what elements are used or not used. Genre=less specific, based on a common core value (metal is metal whether it is Black Sabbath, Slayer, Children of Bodom, or Deicide). Subgenre= more specific, based on inclusion or exclusion of certain elements (classic metal, trash metal, black metal, death metal etc...)

Saying Robotron and Metal Slug aren't shmups is like saying Children of Bodom is techno because it has keyboards and doesn't sound exactly like Slayer.

As time goes on, shmups will keep evolving, so we'd better be prepared for the term to get even wider and wider, and with more and more subgenres. That is *less* confusing than the alternative, which would be to create a new parent genre for every game that brings something new to the shmupping table and saying they can't be shmups.
Well! Yeas Robotron is a twinstick shoter and twinstick shooter is a subgenre, but not a subgenre to shmups a subgenre to shooters! Shooters as in just about every game where you shot things! Shmups is a subgenre to shooters to...In my world there are no subgenre to shmups...There are crossgenres games that play like 2 genre at diffrent points or at the same time. Like metal slug that has both shooting and platforming. And the dodging in metal slug is mostly in forms of jumping over(and cralling under) bullet. Jumping is pretty much a trademark element for platformers(there are exeptions see Bionic commando)

Most shmups are linear and some of the games that are called shmups are not...well I kinda started this discussion because I don't agree with the statement that everything in 2d with a spaceship is a shmup. But as you just informed me most shmups are linear...I think this kinda proves that I'm kinda right? Most shmups are linear and most shmups are real shmups and the rest are the games that are debatable to be shmups. These games however do classify as shooters or shooters mixed with an other genre.

And about Thunder Force 2(an other game that I haven't played) the moment I saw the over world gameplay I thought this is not a shmup...But then I've seen some of the other gameplay and it seems to be what I like to call a cross-over-genre! Sometimes it plays like a shmup and sometime it play like a shooter game...(I don't konw if the subgenre of astroid-like gameplay has a name)

You only like shmups? You don't like any other genre?

Shmups games do evolve, but the subgenre remans the same! Because I think the envolve by puting in new elements from other genres and maybe even some genre that don't yet exist...

Maybe I am trying to hard to define what shmup is and maybe I have a to narrow-sight of what a shmups is. When I was young I thought games like gradius where a cross between shmups and rpgs(because of the power-up-system)
Today I want to call it a shmup...but I'm really not there yet...

Anyhow I do enjoy these dissusion and I hope we can continue with them in a little more scientific way(in lack of better words). More proof and explenation of why we think so diffrently. I think that would be what bodom wants...or maybe not

MVHH
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Blackbird wrote: "STG" sounds like a disease. Argh, I've got STGs!
I'd be happy if STGs could spread as well as STDs can.
Demetori

Post by Demetori »

I always thought shoot em' up was a sub-genre itself.

So, there's sub-genres in a sub-genre of the shooter genre.
I'm probably alone in this, but it's been so many years I just stopped caring and or thinking that the arranged letters "shmup" identified to an acronym or sentence to describe itself.

To me it's just a... bunch of letters that sound funny when you say it as an identifier for the shit we play and talk about here, and that anyone who knows what it relates to is in the right place..
Google Translate tells me that Unlimited Mode "is for people who like festivals."
dpful

Post by dpful »

If you live in the US, shmup is a ridiculous word that means just one thing. I can see how if it also meant "shoot-em-up", you could feel confused about metal slug not fitting in.
In the US, you'd get the same confusion about "shooting game".

More intering info: forgotten worlds= shmup. Robotron= not shmup
(especially in the US?)