Pirate shmup-o's (split from Fast Striker)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TrevHead (TVR)

Re: Pirate shmup-o's (split from Fast Striker)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

So, can you make good art and make it freely available? Of course! But can you make good art that also requires significant time and money investments and still give it away? Possible, but unlikely
Exactly, and programming is very time intensive both in making the games and in learning how to do so in the first place. The same can be applied to any artist who is at the top of their particular craft. I doubt we would see classical music players of the same caliber of Sarah Chang because her parents probably wouldnt of bothered fostering the talent in such a forcefull way if it was just some side hobby to keep the kid busy untill she went to univercity
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Tylerxuppercut wrote:LOL man why is everyone so butthurt about it...all I hear is

RABLE RABLE RABLE RABLE RABLE RABLE
Im not sure who your saying is but hurt but if you mean the the anti pirating sentiments. Its quite understanderble. Unlike mainstream games, Shmups and other niche games work with tighter budgets and require the goodwill of its small community to buy their stuff and not pirate it. If it wasnt for all these butthurt folk here who put their money where their mouth is, there wouldnt be any shmups in the first place.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Shmups - they hurt your butt.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
drauch

Post by drauch »

"oooooooooooh aghhhhhhhh" (Guile death scream).
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

emphatic wrote:Shmups - they hurt your butt.
Im a PC gamer been arse raped is a common ocurance for me
captpain

Post by captpain »

emphatic wrote:Shmups - they hurt your butt.
You should see my butt, emph.

erm wait
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

no one wants your hurt butt :|
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I downloaded it also, but I had it pre-ordered BEFORE I downloaded it. Torrents are awesome and this... I dunno, I want these guys to make their money but sometimes a torrent of a game is just, useful. I was waiting on my copy to show up in the mail and had no guilt in downloading it. I have the original on the shelf now so that CDR is a coaster. Did the same thing with Last Hope, have an original on the shelf and no idea where that CDR is now.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Tylerxuppercut

Post by Tylerxuppercut »

drauch wrote:"oooooooooooh aghhhhhhhh" (Guile death scream).

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (cammy death scream)

plz dont hurt my butt
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Tylerxuppercut wrote:
drauch wrote:"oooooooooooh aghhhhhhhh" (Guile death scream).

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (cammy death scream)

plz dont hurt my butt
GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(Ketsui, like the Nutri-Grain 'Iron Man' ads)

:lol:
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Strider77 wrote:I downloaded it also, but I had it pre-ordered BEFORE I downloaded it. Torrents are awesome and this... I dunno, I want these guys to make their money but sometimes a torrent of a game is just, useful. I was waiting on my copy to show up in the mail and had no guilt in downloading it. I have the original on the shelf now so that CDR is a coaster. Did the same thing with Last Hope, have an original on the shelf and no idea where that CDR is now.

Yeah but would you upload it if the torrent didn't exist?

... Wouldn't a better approach be to ask the developers for a download version as well as a disk version?

^Might not have happened for the first game [eg. last hope], might have happened for the second game - IF you had asked. Instead the illicit route unfortunately stops people even bothering to send an email to the devs about such things.

Whether or not sharing impacts profits negatively, it still clouds the issue, devalues any potential investment, and simply takes control away from the owners and creators.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

gray117 wrote:Yeah but would you upload it if the torrent didn't exist?

... Wouldn't a better approach be to ask the developers for a download version as well as a disk version
Just to play devil's advocate here, surely the torrent then saves the dev's time and resources since they now don't have to develop and distribute a demo themselves.
In fact maybe the torrent uploader should receive a portion of the games advertising budget for all their hard work lol
Tylerxuppercut

Post by Tylerxuppercut »

mjclark wrote:
gray117 wrote:Yeah but would you upload it if the torrent didn't exist?

... Wouldn't a better approach be to ask the developers for a download version as well as a disk version
Just to play devil's advocate here, surely the torrent then saves the dev's time and resources since they now don't have to develop and distribute a demo themselves.
In fact maybe the torrent uploader should receive a portion of the games advertising budget for all their hard work lol

lolz check and mate!
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Indeed lolz!
I guess this whole thread could've been avoided (which would have been a pity really- ha ha) if the OP had PM'd me instead. I did get a PM but he'd withdrawn it before I had time to open it.
I've since PM'd the OP to try and clear this up but he hasn't yet replied.
If you're going to point the finger at someone then maybe you should have the balls to look them in the eye when you're doing it lol

Shmups Forum has always been a friendly and intelligent community and we all love shmups (though obviously have different ways of showing it!) so hopefully once this increasingly entertaining thread has run it's course (if it ever does) and everyone's untwisted their knickers, got their rattles back in their prams etc. we can all kiss and make up :D
gray117

Post by gray117 »

lolz what?

Someone go kiss ngdev.
Heartwork

Post by Heartwork »

gray117 wrote: Whether or not sharing impacts profits negatively, it still clouds the issue, devalues any potential investment, and simply takes control away from the owners and creators.
Wait what? This is demonstrably not true. The ability to download a game almost never negatively impacts the market value of the hardcopy. Do an eBay search for almost any well-regarded Dreamcast title; most of the older ones go for something in the realm of $80 these days, and all of them are available on the internet for free. Hell, even look at the prices of a games like MvC2. Hardcopies of that game are still worth $80-100, despite that game being released as a downloadable game on XBLA and PSN several months ago. The price of the hardcopy didn't change at all when that happened.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

mjclark wrote:Indeed lolz!
I guess this whole thread could've been avoided (which would have been a pity really- ha ha) if the OP had PM'd me instead. I did get a PM but he'd withdrawn it before I had time to open it.
I've since PM'd the OP to try and clear this up but he hasn't yet replied.
If you're going to point the finger at someone then maybe you should have the balls to look them in the eye when you're doing it lol

Shmups Forum has always been a friendly and intelligent community and we all love shmups (though obviously have different ways of showing it!) so hopefully once this increasingly entertaining thread has run it's course (if it ever does) and everyone's untwisted their knickers, got their rattles back in their prams etc. we can all kiss and make up :D
Well NGDEV are the only people who really have the right to get mad, and they seem to be keeping out of it. I've made my feelings known. Now back to playing my downloaded CAVE ports on my jtag.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
gray117

Post by gray117 »

Heartwork wrote:
gray117 wrote: Whether or not sharing impacts profits negatively, it still clouds the issue, devalues any potential investment, and simply takes control away from the owners and creators.
This is demonstrably not true. The ability to download a game almost never negatively impacts the market value of the hardcopy.
Sorry should have been clearer; I didn't mean consumer investment, but rather potential business investors, publishers, licensing, and even other developers.

I don't think you can compare ngdev as a business to capcom, or even snk. I would look at them in terms of the attitude grev originally received, as concerned their older properties.
gavin19

Post by gavin19 »

NAVVARR wrote:Its a shame since I'd say the NG-Dev would be well within their rights just to walk away from the Dreamcast scene now and concentrate on other projects on more secure and possibly more lucrative systems
Every platform is almost totally broken now anyway. The game would be pirateable(?) no matter which it was developed for.
gray117 wrote: Yeah but would you upload it if the torrent didn't exist?
Ultimately someone will upload it anyway, makes no difference. Every DC game ever made has ended up on usenet/bittorrent at some stage, this one is no different. Thing is, why upload it to 2 different trackers? TPB would have sufficed and made for a 'stronger' torrent. If I was uploading something it would be to one place. Two different places just smacks of attention seeking.
TrevHead (TVR) wrote:Artist who get paid for their work create better art because they dont have to go out find a real job to pay the bills and spend more time improving in their craft and making better things for us to enjoy
Like Van Gogh you mean?
a.k.a - G19
gray117

Post by gray117 »

gavin19 wrote: Ultimately someone will upload it anyway, makes no difference. Every DC game ever made has ended up on usenet/bittorrent at some stage, this one is no different.
This is time dependant - so yes when absolutely makes a difference. And this game is different in source, timing, distribution and numbers.

Asie from legal definitions: Few things are inevitable, much could be described as tolerable, some - such as this imho - is regretable.
gavin19 wrote: Like Van Gogh you mean?
This is not a good current example. Try most of the employees at capcom, ubisoft, or even cave ... something like that?
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

gavin19 wrote:Thing is, why upload it to 2 different trackers? TPB would have sufficed and made for a 'stronger' torrent. If I was uploading something it would be to one place. Two different places just smacks of attention seeking.
Doh! It's (probably) the same torrent with the same trackers but posted on two different sites to increase the potential traffic and thus strengthen the torrent.
But I really can't believe that people are now trying to give advice about how how make torrents more effective in this thread.
If this was getting funny before then it's got even funnier now :D
Last edited by mjclark on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

^ certainly made me laugh :) ... albeit from a different perspective.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Just because "someone" will upload it or download it doesn't mean it's ok to download it.

I'd always rather have the original game but then again I'm like that with music - I always want the CD with the accompanying artwork than some digital download.

The fact is that downloading licenced software without paying for it via legitimate means is illegal. Period. It's illegal for a reason - it's stealing. End of.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Tigershark wrote:The fact is that downloading licenced software without paying for it via legitimate means is illegal. Period.
Seems a bit sexist.
Is it still illegal even if the person downloading it isn't having a period?
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Tigershark wrote: The fact is that downloading licenced software without paying for it via legitimate means is illegal.
Yes.
it's stealing.
No.
It's copyright infringement.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Tigershark wrote:The fact is that downloading licenced software without paying for it via legitimate means is illegal.Period
Are you sure? This is shocking news if it's true :D
and I'm still not sure about that "period" thing either.

Also, smoking weed is illegal, so are you going to savagely indict people who do that too?
Maybe everyone guilty of these horrific crimes should go and turn themselves in to the law- something needs to be done or this tidal wave of crime will engulf Europe and North America leaving no room for decent folk at all.
Perhaps the best thing to do is outlaw electricity which will stop all this downloading nonsense before it's even started.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

I bet every person in this thread has downloaded something that has infringed copyright, including the OP (you're way into your doujin scene man. :o )

NGDev have let it lie, so should we. Downloading stuff is a fact of internet life.

And it's great.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

One great thing about living in switzerland is:

It's perfectly legal to download Movies and Music. DLing software is illegal and a copyright infringement.

Uploading complete or nearly complete movies or tracks is prohibited on the other hand...

Now, this has nothing to do with the thread itself, but I just like to hear the clickety-clack of my keyboard when I'm typing.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
Paradigm
Banned User

Post by Paradigm »

Tigershark wrote:The fact is that downloading licenced software without paying for it via legitimate means is illegal.
Tigershark wrote:338,100 Spitfire 1-4 Mame
:roll:
Skykid wrote:I bet every person in this thread has downloaded something that has infringed copyright
This. Take your moral crusade elsewhere you hypocritical cunts.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Paradigm wrote:
Tigershark wrote:The fact is that downloading licenced software without paying for it via legitimate means is illegal.
Tigershark wrote:338,100 Spitfire 1-4 Mame
This. Take your moral crusade elsewhere you hypocritical cunts.
Downloading a decades out-of-print game that never had a home version is not quite the same as downloading a small production, still in print, aimed at a niche audience... I know that wasn't specified in the quote, but it really is a huge difference.
Humans, think about what you have done