Deathsmiles HG101 Article: iPhone Update Fact-Check Needed!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BulletMagnet

Deathsmiles HG101 Article: iPhone Update Fact-Check Needed!

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hello everyone, and a happy Festivus to you all! As it turns out, though, I'm going to need one more Feat of Strength and a whole lotta Airing of Grievances from you, if you're willing to help: as the topic title suggests, I've been working on an article about the Deathsmiles games for Hardcore Gaming 101, and it needs to be given a once-over before it's ready to submit. I'll paste the text into the next post (or two, if needed), and you guys can let fly with stuff I've missed or messed up. Here are a couple of things I'll note specifically beforehand:

1) In terms of plot and characters, the first game shouldn't present much of a problem since it's been localized, but all I could get for DS2 was what I gleaned from cutscenes/artwork and a Google Translate of stuff on Cave's page - I'm pretty sure some of it is wrong, especially Lei's back story. On a side note, I was unable to find the names of his angel helpers, so if anyone knows those that'd be great - also, I'm wondering if the English names given to the familiars in the first game are different than the Japanese originals.

2) Scoring- and mechanics-wise, again, I'm pretty confident that I covered everything major for the first game, though I didn't go overboard on every single nuance: if I left out something major, please bring it to my attention. Again, the sequel is the one I'm most iffy about, especially when it comes to the console modes, so give those a good look and inform me of any inaccuracies or omissions you notice.

3) I don't know how much of the paragraphs concerning merchandise and other "extras" will end up making it into the final article, but if there's a particularly notable product or event I overlooked by all means mention it.

4) I tried to make at least brief mention of the key programmers and other staff members who worked on these games, but I might've passed by one or two of those as well - same goes for some of the technical and hardware details, which some of you guys know a lot more about than me.

5) I haven't put together the final list of music tracks and outside links to appear at the bottom yet (not to mention the images and other touch-ups throughout, though that's a whole separate ball of wax), but I've got a bunch to narrow down - feel free to throw in a suggestion or two if you think it might prove handy though.

6) Finally, there's obviously some personal opinion in there, and I certainly don't expect anyone here to agree with everything I write, but if you feel I've gone way off base in some aspect of my criticism feel free to bring it up. No guarantees I'll apply what's said, but I will take it into consideration. ;)

--------

That about covers the major stuff, I think - here comes the text itself, so if you have a little time to read it over feel free to let loose and give this thing (and me) a trial by fire, as I (and most of you, I'd guess) want the finished product to turn out well. To anyone who's able to lend me a hand with this project, many thanks in advance, and I hope you like what's here so far!
BulletMagnet

Re: Deathsmiles HG101 Article: Fact-Checking Needed!

Post by BulletMagnet »

EDIT: Submitted!
Tyjet

Post by Tyjet »

When you first introduced MBL after explain the power up, you should mention that there are two counters, one main counter and an overall counter.

When you mentioned "the multiplier does not reset upon “power-down” (though it does drop slowly between charges)"

I'm guessing you mean the overall counter. It doesn't drop during the stage nor in power up, only in boss battles. It does drop constanly in MBL 1.1.

If you mentioned it, nevermind (it's a long and comprehensive article so I may have skipped a few words)

Awesome job!
My Youtube Channel | Xbox: Tyjet Poison | My Scores
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Tyjet wrote:When you first introduced MBL after explain the power up, you should mention that there are two counters, one main counter and an overall counter.
Just to make sure I follow you, when you say "main counter" you mean the one that goes up to 1,000 and drains in power-up mode, while the "overall counter" is the one that determines item value and usually maxes at 10,000, right? If this is the case then I think I got that part right, I just call them the "item counter" and "multiplier" instead - I might want to reword it to make it less confusing, though, or at least make a quick reference to the terms you used (not sure which ones, if any, are the "official" designations).

Let me know if I misunderstood anything you said, and thanks for the help. :)
Phellan Wolf

Post by Phellan Wolf »

Whoa Bullet awesome work. Sorry for not being helpfull however you'd better care about what you've posted since there're a lot of copy&paste stealers around the internet.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Phellan Wolf wrote:Sorry for not being helpfull however you'd better care about what you've posted since there're a lot of copy&paste stealers around the internet.
I suppose that's always a consideration, but HG101 knows this article is coming from me, and that's about all that matters on my end, really - I'm not sure how much else someone would be able to do with a writeup on a relatively obscure pair of games to begin with anyways, heh.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Enjoyed the reviews BM, they showcase a great writing talent. I did see one slight grammatical error but now for the life of me I can't remember where it is! You have done well finding the middle ground between the target audience and the hardcore collective with this which is perfect because, as stated within your review, that's what these 2 games are all about.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

stryc9 wrote:I did see one slight grammatical error but now for the life of me I can't remember where it is!
Heh, if you remember where you saw it feel free to let me know. :)

Outta curiosity, is anyone able to address the specific "iffy" areas I mention in the first post? SOMEbody here must know what I'm missing there...
Tyjet

Post by Tyjet »

This is all pretaining to MBL not vanilla.
BulletMagnet wrote:Just to make sure I follow you, when you say "main counter" you mean the one that goes up to 1,000 and drains in power-up mode, while the "overall counter" is the one that determines item value and usually maxes at 10,000, right?
Yes (I personally go by those names). According to the Aksys's DS manual, it's Item Counter and Overall Counter. So:

Item Counter = 1,000
Overall Counter= 100,000 (Not 10,000)

I reread it and I see what you're saying. It's just the "(though it does drop slowly between charges)" threw me off.

Just to clarify my last post, the Overall Counter will not drop/degrade unless you're in a boss fight or lose a life.

PS. I also reread a part in the Aksys manual about MBL and there is typo with the numbers about the counters and there are some unclear sentences. So if you did reference the manual, just be aware.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Tyjet wrote:According to the Aksys's DS manual, it's Item Counter and Overall Counter.
If that's the case then I definitely ought to at least make mention of those terms in there, if not use them most frequently. I probably also ought to once-over the wording in that section to make it a bit clearer.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Pardon the bump, but I REALLY want to make sure I've got all my facts straight before submitting this - any and all help is very much appreciated!
nZero

Post by nZero »

BulletMagnet wrote:On a side note, I was unable to find the names of his angel helpers, so if anyone knows those that'd be great - also, I'm wondering if the English names given to the familiars in the first game are different than the Japanese originals.
Going by the DSIIX manual, I'd transliterate them as Pipi (the blonde) and Pepe (the other one). As far as the others, they look pretty much the same.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

nZero wrote:Going by the DSIIX manual, I'd transliterate them as Pipi (the blonde) and Pepe (the other one). As far as the others, they look pretty much the same.
Excellent, many thanks! :D If anyone out there could offer some additional details regarding the backstories for Supe and Lei (especially the latter) that'd be equally great, as I KNOW I'm missing something on those...
BulletMagnet

Re: Deathsmiles HG101 Article: Update Needed!

Post by BulletMagnet »

Hey again all: as you know, several developments have taken place on the Deathsmiles front since I first submitted the original article to HG101, and the piece is in need of an update. Some of the necessary info is right out there for me to add in, but other things I need some help with: the following are the questions I need someone else to answer, I'll add more if I think of any.

1) What exactly is the story for iPhone mode? Something about a "pursuit of crystals" from months ago, is it supposed to tie into the original game's story? On a related note, the official site is similarly stingy when it comes to the bio for Tiara/Mu...any relevant details to offer?

2) The official site seems to suggest that Tiara's first "appearance" was actually in one of the Deathsmiles drama CDs...can anyone confirm this?

3) From the video(s?) available it's a bit tough to tell if Tiara's shot has any special properties...it looks almost like it "splits" or "splashes" but I can't be sure. Same goes for Mu's shots too.

4) Are Gamerpics and other stuff for the original Deathsmiles now available in all three regions? I think they are, but I want to be certain.

5) Did the patch for the US version do anything to "fix" the over-the-top character accents, alongside the slowdown and bugs? The PAL version apparently toned them down from the get-go, was anything done across the pond?

6) On a related note, was the GoD release of Deathsmiles IIX the "patched" or "unpatched" version?

7) Rising Star was teasing some manner of announcement, possibly related to Deathsmiles, and was hoping to reveal something before June ended...has there been anything else to report since then?

Thanks in advance for the help once again. :)
Tyjet

Post by Tyjet »

4) I believe, yes
5) The US version didn't change a thing in the texts.
6) Unpatched when downloaded, but prompt you to update the game with the patch when you first start it up
EU03

Post by EU03 »

1. Story for iPhone mode...uh, it doesn't really tie into the original plot, just sort of picks up after the drama CD. Tiara prepares for a tea party, and finds Mu. Then suddenly monsters start attacking, Tiara gains magic powers, and then goes out to start wrecking shit up. Turns out the Angels are behind the monster attacks since they all want to go back home. Tiara proceeds to stop them, and everyone celebrates, yay.
Spoilers for Normal difficulty are as follows:
Turns out Mu is a Dreameater, and crafted a dream for Tiara based on her desire to be an Angel in order to consume her. Turns out none of this is real, so Mu turns out to be the true last boss in order to escape the dream. As usual Deathsmiles endings, there's a choice to either forgive Mu or kill him for good. Forgiving him is bad end, as he continues to eat dreams throughout the land. Good end is banishing him, and Tiara becomes a fine queen.

2. Yes, Tiara's first appearance is in the 3rd drama CD, which is why her original design is still Inoue. The story for that is basically her looking for crystals that supposedly grant her magic power, so she can be like the Angels or whatever.

3. As far as I can tell, Tiara's shot/laser are pretty straightforward. Laser just turns into a ripple beam that sort of oscillates in width, but nothing fancy. Mu's shot is also nothing special. Mu's laser, however, splits into two after reaching halfway across the screen, both going in 45 degree directions. It's kind of worthless now that I think about it.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Great, that covers almost everything. :) Two other items I forgot to inquire about, though:

1) Aside from the new TLB, and selectable Extra difficulties, are any of the stage layouts/bullet patterns changed from the original's?

2) IIRC in previous iPhone ports "Normal" difficulty is actually a bit easier than the arcade defaults, which are most closely replicated on "Hard" settings: is that the case here?
EU03

Post by EU03 »

1. As far as I can tell, not really? I haven't touched Deathsmiles on 360 in a while...

2. Arcade mode has no difficulty setting, since it uses selectable ranks (haven't actually checked if the bullet density is the same as the 360 port). iPhone mode has no ranks between stages; you have to select either Novice, Normal, or Hard (unlocked after successive completions). It seems that the bullet patterns for the difficulty is pretty much analogous to rank 1, 2, and 3. However, enemies have a lot more health between difficulties and bullets take a larger chunk out of your lifebar, I guess to encourage to keep playing for better loot. The difficulties do have different leaderboards, though.
BulletMagnet

Re: Deathsmiles HG101 Article: iPhone Update Fact-Check Needed!

Post by BulletMagnet »

Okay, I think I'm just about ready to submit the article updates to HG101, but I want you guys to take a look first to make sure I didn't mess anything up or leave anything important out (especially since I haven't played the iOS edition myself). Anyway, here are the three new segments I've cooked up: 1) a profile for Tiara, 2) a few paragraphs on the PAL release and the iVersion, and 3) a short mention of the GOD edition of IIX.

----------

Tiara – Not actually an “angel” at all, Tiara is a Gilverado native…the parasol-packing royal princess of the land, to be precise. Despite coming off as somewhat cold at first blush, she desperately wants to do something to help in the fight against the evil forces invading her domain: unlike the angels, however, she can’t use magic…until she happens to meet a small, porcine creature named Mu, who ends up serving as her in-game attendant. Though her initial “appearance” was on a spinoff Drama CD (in which she searches for a way to gain the same powers as the Angels’), she eventually gained enough popularity for an upgrade to playable status in the portable edition’s “iPhone mode”.

---------

Around the same time as the aforementioned patch was issued, European publisher Rising Star Games finally delivered a PAL localization of <i>Deathsmiles</i> to fans across the pond. As with the U.S. release all of the Mega Black Label content is included on-disc, though this one’s first-print “Deluxe Edition” instead packs in an original (non-arranged) soundtrack CD and a PC “desktop accessory set” previously available only in Japan; more importantly, the complaints from American shmuppers have been duly noted, as both the embarrassing text dialogue and missing slowdown have been addressed and fixed. The music CD was slightly screwed up, released as a data disc full of .wav files that wouldn’t work in a “traditional” player, though Rising Star did offer to send a replacement to anybody who asked for one: otherwise this edition turned out quite well, and was given a warm reception by both critics and shooter enthusiasts.

Four years after its original appearance Deathsmiles also earned itself an overdue trip to the iPhone and iPad, the third Cave arcade port to make the transition: as always, you’ll need a pretty recent device for it to work. The standard set of modes, namely a straight-up “Arcade” and an exclusive “iPhone” variation, are here, plus compatibility with both OpenFeint and Game Center and “Practice” settings to fine-tune your skills. Unlike its predecessors there’s no neutral “movement bar” area set aside for your finger to control character movement, so it can be a bit trickier to keep your digits out of the way of the onscreen action, but the “button” layouts for attacks are a bit more user-friendly than they were in the earlier games. Arcade is pretty much what you’d expect (no playable Sakura), with a few changes: the Final and “EX” levels can now be played on easier difficulties, “power up” mode lasts longer, “auto-bomb” is available, and the text translation has been (re-)redone.

iPhone mode is another matter entirely: not only have both the character art (now rendered by mangaka Yukinatsu Mori) and soundtrack (remixed by Takeshi Miyamoto) been given a new coat of paint, but an exclusive solo playable character, Tiara, has taken the place of the original cast. Unlike the others, she can be outfitted with various items to increase her stats (including “defense”, as the traditional three-life setup has been replaced by a health bar): equipment can be obtained either as random drops from defeated enemies (including bosses, who can now be “sealed” via a quick “match-the-pattern” sequence at the end of battle) or by spending the point items you collect at an inter-level shop. Stage layouts and enemy patterns are unchanged (though giving mid-sized enemies visible health meters is nice), save for a new “True Last Boss” at the very end, but higher challenge levels now need to be unlocked: while some players dislike this somewhat “grindy” aspect (especially since you can’t switch to a different character to change things up), others will enjoy the sense of progression, especially since better equipment is a necessity to survive later on.

Imagine that, though…a phone game containing scads of collectible stuff, some of which is essential for progression! Yeah, you probably knew what was coming next: a few weeks after the initial release an update appeared, containing bug fixes, a few new options and other additions, and (dun-dun-duuuun) a fresh batch of items and perks (extra continues included), some of which can only be bought with real-life money. Several are just bits of Cave fan service (most notably equipable weapons taken from DoDonPachi, Guwange, and other Cave titles), but others (most notably the Lucky Charm accessory, which increases the drop rate drastically and is pretty much a necessity if you want a complete item collection) are tougher to go without. While it is possible to finish the game without any of the paid DLC, there’s still an unmistakable whiff of Farmville in the air, a somewhat depressing development for such a respected arcade presence.

--------

Even after the relative success overseas of the first <i>Deathsmiles</i>, chances for the sequel going global didn’t look good: the outdated visuals in particular were a tough enough sell even in the friendlier homefront market, so Aksys expressed no interest in following up its localization of the original in the U.S. Cave, however, had other ideas: cutting out the middleman entirely, the company opted for a quick, self-published digital release via the 360’s “Games on Demand” download service (first in the States, and soon after in the rest of North America), retailing for 30 dollars. None of the text has been translated, but all of the menus were in English to begin with, so little is lost to non-Japanese speakers outside of some story details: essentially, the game is pretty much identical to the on-disc version. This is perhaps a bit of a disappointment after the more lavish treatment the first game received, but definitely preferable to no Western release at all: meanwhile, across the Atlantic European fans have been hoping for Rising Star to pick this up, but so far nothing’s been announced.

--------

As always, any assistance you can offer is appreciated! :)
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

I still find it hard to believe theirs no dodonpachi hg101 article...
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

AntiFritz wrote:I still find it hard to believe theirs no dodonpachi hg101 article...
IIRC the sitemaster said he had someone lined up to do it, though I'm not sure if that's changed.

Anyways, anything about the update sections above need work?
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Sod DS iphone! its about time you went back to blogging on Destructiod BM :P

Na im only kidding, im actually looking forward to reading it on the HG101 site, I dont have a iphone but the differences between this and the other versions intrests me
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

Always a pleasure to read your informative articles, BulletMagnet. Can't wait for this one!
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...