Game Gear shmups

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BrianC

Game Gear shmups

Post by BrianC »

I have been trying Game Gear shmups on emu. IMO, the Aleste games are by far the best. I also liked Super Space Invaders. Galaga '91 just seemed like a toned down Galaga '88 to me. I haven't tried Halley Wars or Aerial Assault. Fantasy Zone gear suffers from a screen space problem. Are there any other shmups for the Game Gear? How much should I expect to pay for Super Space Invaders and the GG Aleste games. I don't want to pay $100 dollars for either of the GG Aleste games and I really want to put some good shmups into my Game Gear. I'm guessing that the UK Power Strike 2 GG is worth 20-30 dollars. Is this correct?
druuna

Post by druuna »

Yes 20 to 30 euros in europe if you're lucky and without original box.
Aleste GG japanese version will cost you more, I don't know but probably 50 to 100 if in mint conditions.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

20-30 euros? Isn't that a bit more than dollars? I have once seen Power Strike 2 GG sell for slightly over 20 dollars with other stuff with it, though it was cartridge only. Is there a site where I can find a pricing and rarity chart for different games?

Is Aleste GG really worth 100 dollars? I only seen it on ebay a couple of times and the HK seller that sells Aleste or Aleste 2 for over 100 often sells games like Land of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse at 100 dollars too. I personally think that one HK seller is selling games at higher prices than they are worth. How much should I expect for Galaga '90 or Super Space Invaders US? Is there anywhere else I can find Game Gear games besides ebay?
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

I bought GG Aleste II off E-Bay for next to nothing. I forget how much since it was a long time ago, but it wasn't an unusual amount for a Game Gear game.

Keep in mind that if you stick GG Aleste II into a US Game Gear, it'll come up as Power Strike II. So there really won't be any difference in the actual game regardless of which version you buy. And at least on my Game Gear, the screen is very blurry with all the scrolling.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

GG Aleste I and II are best found on www.ebay.co.uk -Ebay's main European site. I is the most expensive.

GET Halley Wars, it's a cheap and very fun shmup by Taito. Ariel Assault is MUCH better on the Sega Master System.

And, OT, definately check out GG Alien Syndrome (best port of that game I've ever played) and GG Shinobi I and II. And if you don't already have one, try and get a rechargable battery pack for your Game Gear.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Yeah, I definatly plan to get one of the Shinobi games. I almost got the first Shinobi, but the one I ordered from Ebay didn't work correctly. It was glitched and the main character kept dying for no apparant reason. I did get a sample of it and it is something I want to get, though. I'm glad I got a refund for the non working copy.

I have been keeping tabs on this auction on Power Strike 2 UK and it seems to be selling for cheap. It looks like it may even end up being under 10 dollars. I'm not going to bid on it just yet since I just got a few games, but I think it's good to have an idea of what the game sells for before you buy it.

OT: I looked at some finished Zero Wing UK acutions. It looks like the game sells for 10-20 dollars with the case. The one that sold for about 20 still had the tag for hanging the game up. There is a US seller selling the game without the case for 20, though. Either way, it definatly proves that the $99.99 asking price at video game depot is the worst price ever for that game.

I might look in to Halley Wars, but the Aleste games are tops on my to get list for Game Gear. Actually, compile shooters are high on my to get list for about every system they are on. I'm still trying to find out if the GB Zanac even exists. It's listed at gamefaqs, but I can't find info on it or the rom (DON'T TELL ME WHERE TO FIND IT) anywhere.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

"Actually, compile shooters are high on my to get list for about every system they are on."

Same here man! :D I plan on picking up a Game Gear for my portable gaming console at some point, primarily because of the Compile love it got.

And the first GG Aleste is worth whatever you have to shell out for it, trust me. I played it on an GG emulator, and it was my fav. Compile shmup until I got ZanacXZanac yesterday.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

That Power Strike 2 GG auction ended at GBP 3.20 or about $6 US dollars. Not too shabby. I didn't bid on the auction, but I do have an idea of how much the game sells for from the UK.