Dodonpachi coop 2nd loop?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Flanpop

Dodonpachi coop 2nd loop?

Post by Flanpop »

Hey, I'm new here and really wasn't sure where I should post this so forgive me if this is the wrong place!

Well, my friend and me were netplaying Dodonpachi on MAME and we finally managed to 1cc the 1st loop!
But, for some reason it didn't let us play 2nd loop!?

So I wanna know if there's a certain requirement for playing 2nd loop in co-op or if its a one player thing only.

Thanks in advance!
linko9

Re: Dodonpachi coop 2nd loop?

Post by linko9 »

There are general requirements, regardless of the number of players. You must do one of the following:

get 50million points
die only twice (or something like that?)
Get a chain of a certain length (varies by ship, I think it's 280 for A-type, >300 for C?)
Get some Bees (all of them in 3 stages?)

I'm too lazy to look up the specifics, but you can find it in the Strategy section of these forums. I can see how getting some of those would be difficult with 2 players, since chaining is near impossible with 2 players. I'd suggest you start learning where bees are.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

linko9 wrote:There are general requirements, regardless of the number of players. You must do one of the following:

get 50million points
Get a chain of a certain length (varies by ship, I think it's 280 for A-type, >300 for C?)

I'm too lazy to look up the specifics, but you can find it in the Strategy section of these forums. I can see how getting some of those would be difficult with 2 players, since chaining is near impossible with 2 players. I'd suggest you start learning where bees are.
Correction. You don't have to do all of them at once. Only one of those along with dying twice.

- You must die twice at least < The one that applies to all other conditions (and from other ones, you need to do only one)
- Get above 50 millions
- I think you're more or less on the chaining part. Chaining entire stage 2 provides you access to loop 2 (if you have died twice before end of loop 1) off the go
- You need to get all bees in 4 stages out of 6
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Aliquantic

Post by Aliquantic »

Kaiser wrote:Correction. You don't have to do all of them at once. Only one of those along with dying twice.

- You must die twice at least < The one that applies to all other conditions (and from other ones, you need to do only one)
That one is wrong (fortunately for me!) and you can loop it even if you have no lives left, as I've just done so in MAME savestate practice. The other requirements are correct, though... and good luck for looping it with both players as any of the conditions will be hard to achieve with someone else "interfering" :)
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Unfortunately the game cannot be looped with 2 players from the start. For some reason(seems to apply for all Cave games) whenever you add a 2nd player even at the select screen it counts as a "continue"(me and my mate met the requirements for Tsuujou loop in Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu once and it denied us the loop after it counted my mate's score as a continue. We both entered at the ship select screen.) So unfortunately there's no way to loop cave games with 2 players from the get-go. The closest you can get and sometimes seen on nicovideo vids is to have the 2nd player join at the very beginning of the 2nd loop.
captpain

Post by captpain »

Kaiser wrote:
linko9 wrote:There are general requirements, regardless of the number of players. You must do one of the following:

get 50million points

Correction. You don't have to do all of them at once. Only one of those along with dying twice.

- Get above 50 millions
- I think you're more or less on the chaining part. Chaining entire stage 2 provides you access to loop 2 (if you have died twice before end of loop 1) off the go
- You need to get all bees in 4 stages out of 6
He didn't say that you have to do them all at once. Also, why would you ever think a Cave game requires you to die?

ResumeDPosition wrote:Unfortunately the game cannot be looped with 2 players from the start. For some reason(seems to apply for all Cave games) whenever you add a 2nd player even at the select screen it counts as a "continue"(me and my mate met the requirements for Tsuujou loop in Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu once and it denied us the loop after it counted my mate's score as a continue. We both entered at the ship select screen.) So unfortunately there's no way to loop cave games with 2 players from the get-go. The closest you can get and sometimes seen on nicovideo vids is to have the 2nd player join at the very beginning of the 2nd loop.
Interesting. This is confirmed in DDP for sure?
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Wow, that is interesting. I always assumed it would be possible, but can't say I've ever seen it done. Strange that they wouldn't allow it.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

captpain wrote:Interesting. This is confirmed in DDP for sure?
I can safely confirm myself that is the case here and in other Cave games outside of Donpachi since that has no requirements. DDP, DDP DOJ, DDP DFK, Ketsui all won't loop if both players meet requirements for a loop.

Here in DDP I've tested myself by doing a 2 player TAS in the past with all bees collected, no deaths, ~80 million with both players, both hitting 330+ chains in several stages: yet no loop. You can even test it yourself if you wanna meet the no deaths requirement through mame invincibility. It does kinda suck and I don't know why Cave would leave out the option of a co-op looping since I imagine in some games it would be harder. The only way to go about an epic co-op TLB showdown is to have 2p join during the 2nd loop :(
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Trying my best to not sound elitist but i recon been able to easily get to the 2nd loop with two players (or having a 2nd player helping player 1 to get past a certain part of the game) can cheapen the expience of single players possibly lessening the appeal of the 2nd loop. Kind of like having the whistle warp shortcut to beat SMB3 can cheapen playing the game normally for some ppl.

Part of DDPs legendry status is the fact that not many ppl have 2ALL them, for me having countless you tube vids of 2 players beating hibatchi would take all the magic away
linko9

Post by linko9 »

Yeah, but if that were Cave's rationale, they wouldn't let a second player join during the second loop. Personally, I don't find co-op shmupping fun at all, but if you enjoy it, it seems like it would be nice to play both loops together.
Flanpop

Post by Flanpop »

Thanks for all the replies! I'm a little sad now that I know its just not possible to do it~ But I'm happy that we managed to 1cc coop at least!

I'm gonna start working hard to 1cc first loop in single player now! Wish me luck!
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

So, what are the actual requirements for 2nd loop?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Don't continue, and satisfy at least one of the following:
* Get 270 hits with type A, 300 hits with type B, or 330 hits with type C (probably the easiest, IMO)
* Achieve "bee perfect" (collect all bees in a stage without dying in between) in at least 4 stages
* Lose at most two lives
* 50 million points
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Thanks a lot. The chaining requirement seems the most doable at my level. I still have a loong way to go though :oops:
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Yeah, you can reach that amount with a decent stage 2 chain, if that's all you're after. Stage 5 is also a good candidate if you're using type C. Good luck :D
el_rika

Post by el_rika »

Thanks! Stage 2 is what i had in mind as well. Right now i'm mostly using A-L.