Blade Buster (FC) Amazing new doujin caravan game

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
mjclark
Banned User

Re: Blade Buster (FC) Amazing new doujin caravan game

Post by mjclark »

THE wrote:We are not an emulation/warez garbage forum here.
Indeed no! That's what PMs are for :D
Adigun A. Polack

Post by Adigun A. Polack »

In a reply to me here, mjclark wrote:
Adigun A. Polack wrote: in quite fact, I have just now spotted an important little video on Nicovideo that I want all of you to see, in which that guy there in the film has *actually* pulled it off most successfully!!! :shock: Have a look at this link:
...and please especially watch the first 15 glorious seconds of that video here, with the rest of this piece being an AWESOME 5-minute no-miss run of this game. Be sure not to miss it, I truly promise!!! :D !!
How do I get the video to play,do you have to be registered with Nicovideo cos all the links I click on that page just take e to Japanese txt and can't see a play button anywhere.

@Adigun A. Polack : I'd wondered if you were a member of this forum ( and if you'd seen the new hi-score threads for x68k and indie Caravan games) and I'm a great fan of your YouTube plays so cheers :D
First and most important of all, here is a site that you and all everyone else on this fantastic forumboard can try if any of you want to play the vids directly from Nicovideo without even registering an account with them, and it is simply called Nicovideo Redirector. The main link for you is right here:
...and mjclark, for example, if you want to play that video link that I just gave you, all you have to do is to copy it and paste it into the blank long box at the top-center part of this newly-given site I am talking about in this post, followed by a single click of the “Watch” button. You will then go to the next screen where you will access the target video with the Play button in the center of the small screen of the video you have just chosen. Press Play, and in just a few very short moments, your video is *definitely* good to run, guaranteed!! I have tried and tested it out just now, and it really works extremely well so far!!! :mrgreen:

You know what, WORRY-FREE VIDEO ACCESS indeed is what I am talking about here on this one, with zero-frustration whatsoever!!! :idea:

And yes, mjclark, I have been a member of this Shmups forumboard since 2006, and still am even today! :cool: Although I have not seen the high-score threads very much here myself, at least I am alive and kicking some serious ass in a more positive light, I must say!! And CHEERS TO YOU as well for the awesome reply regarding my shmup videos on YouTube, and I am most proudly looking forward to uploading even more of my new original plays soon when I get a chance!!! :D !!
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

I just wanted to chime in to confirm this works great on real hardware using the PowerPak from retrousb.com. They're damned expensive but it's a worthy purchase for NES/Fami fans.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Adigun A. Polack wrote:First and most important of all, here is a site that you and all everyone else on this fantastic forumboard can try if any of you want to play the vids directly from Nicovideo without even registering an account with them, and it is simply called Nicovideo Redirector. The main link for you is right here:
Thanks-that's a really useful resource. I did end up registering with Nicovideo in the end (with a lot of help from Google Translate) and I've also been checking out some YouTube Blade Buster uploads as well. There's one here from a guy who says he drew the graphics for the game and one here with a score of over 500,000 on 2 minute mode.
Everything seems to turn on how the first stage boss is handled, and there's a different strategy in each vid I've seen so far.
Adigun A. Polack

Post by Adigun A. Polack »

mjclark, you wrote:
Adigun A. Polack wrote:First and most important of all, here is a site that you and all everyone else on this fantastic forumboard can try if any of you want to play the vids directly from Nicovideo without even registering an account with them, and it is simply called Nicovideo Redirector. The main link for you is right here:
Thanks-that's a really useful resource. I did end up registering with Nicovideo in the end (with a lot of help from Google Translate) and I've also been checking out some YouTube Blade Buster uploads as well. There's one here from a guy who says he drew the graphics for the game and one here with a score of over 500,000 on 2 minute mode.
Everything seems to turn on how the first stage boss is handled, and there's a different strategy in each vid I've seen so far.
My pleasure for sure on that, mjclark, first of all. ;)=b And thank you so much as well for the two excellent YouTube vids of this game indeed, which shows good and well that you can really rack up some BIG points in shooting down the many rotating white shot-cartridges (over and over) that come out of the left and right sides of first boss when you first meet him... up to around 5,000+ pts. a pop per side as the shots alternate between those two sides indeed, I am estimating. So yeah, you are QUITE right; there are some interesting strategies/scoring opportunities during that boss indeed, you know!? :D
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Kyle wrote:I just wanted to chime in to confirm this works great on real hardware using the PowerPak from retrousb.com. They're damned expensive but it's a worthy purchase for NES fans.
fixed :<
I wish they'd make a Famicom one, i'd buy that in a heartbeat.
I just don't want to rape my poor little Famicom with a huge tumor sticking out of its ass.
ImageImage
:?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I'm kind of surprised there isn't one. Is retro gaming mainly a western thing, or is it just that most of the games westerners would use a device like that for are games that are already available (for cheap) in Japan?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

CStarFlare wrote:I'm kind of surprised there isn't one. Is retro gaming mainly a western thing, or is it just that most of the games westerners would use a device like that for are games that are already available (for cheap) in Japan?
Retro gaming seems to be just as big in Japan with all those toys based on classic Famicom games. I think some Famiclones were available in Japan, as well. I think the lack of a Famicom one has more to do with this being an independent project of western origin.
THE wrote:Recca boots
Speaking of that, there was a Recca Pure for Famicom being sold (don't remember if it was ebay or yahoo auctions, but it's gone now) and went for over 100 dollars. It looked like a well made repro, but the auction didn't make it clear that it was a repro and the price it got sold at was insane. It's too bad Taxan went out of business before Recca came out. I wonder if there would have been a US release with Ken Lobb endings if they stayed around (Recca was programmed by Kid who worked with Taxan, a US company owned by Naxat, who published Recca).
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Not wanting to be pedantic but...
BrianC wrote:It's too bad Taxan went out of business before Recca came out. I wonder if there would have been a US release with Ken Lobb endings if they stayed around (Recca was programmed by Kid who worked with Taxan, a US company owned by Naxat, who published Recca).
Taxan is still in business as a subsidiary of Kaga Create and Naxat is another subsidiary of the same company, and Recca was programmed by Yagawa but developed byKID who only went into insolvency in 2006.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

mjclark wrote:Not wanting to be pedantic but...
BrianC wrote:It's too bad Taxan went out of business before Recca came out. I wonder if there would have been a US release with Ken Lobb endings if they stayed around (Recca was programmed by Kid who worked with Taxan, a US company owned by Naxat, who published Recca).
Taxan is still in business as a subsidiary of Kaga Create and Naxat is another subsidiary of the same company, and Recca was programmed by Yagawa but developed byKID who only went into insolvency in 2006.
oh ok. I was a bit confused. I know the US division stopped publishing games around 1992 and that Kick Master and G.I. Joe 2 NES were contracted to Kid by Taxan, but published by other companies. I did mean to say "owned by the same company that owns Naxat", though. Kid also developed G.I. Joe 1, Burai Fighter (which came to the US first, oddly enough), and Low G Man for Taxan.
Dragon1952

Post by Dragon1952 »

Can anyone post a picture of the famicom cartridge mock-up that is supposed to be on "his" twitter page. I can't find that myself!
I would also love a famicom cartridge of this!
"wax on...wax off!"
antron

Post by antron »

Google NES Reproductions. You will find someone who can make NES Reproduction carts.

One of our SHMUPS forum members also makes and sells them at Neo-Geo Forums.

This game uses:
  • Mapper #: 4
    Mapper name: MMC3
    Mirroring: Horizontal
    Battery-backed: Yes
These NES carts can be converted to Blade Buster, the most common ones are in bold:
  • Crystalis
    Deja Vu
    Gold Metal Challenge (capcom)
    Kirbys Adventure
    Magician
    Might & Magic
    Pool of Radiance
    Shadowgate
    Tecmo Basketball
    Tecmo Superbowl
    Uninvited
    Wario Woods
And these would need a battery added:
  • Bill Elliot Nascar
    Bo Jackson Baseball
    Bugs bunny birthday blowout
    Dracula (imagesoft)
    felix the cat
    gauntlet 2
    home alone
    image fight
    jurassic park
    kid klown
    king quest 5
    MC Kids
    Roundball
    Silver Surfer
    Star Wars
    Super Mario Bros 2
    Super Mario Bros 3

Tetris 2
    Tiny Toon workshop
    where in time is carmen
    where's waldo
*** Leon, at the NES cart site, confirmed that the above information is correct ***
ShmupSamurai

Post by ShmupSamurai »

looks akin to Recca :D
Use Shumpman's advice!

"USE A BOMB!"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Thanks to the very skillful RGB I now have a beautiful, working, score-saving Blade Buster Famicom cart:

ImageImage
(click for bigger)

It is quite awesome. And it seems the creator of the game has no issues with people putting the game into a cart, as there's some discussion going on about it in his site's guestbook.

Now I can properly start aiming for 500k in 2min mode.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ShmupSamurai

Post by ShmupSamurai »

Nice lookin' cart there! 8)

I wonder who did the label art, because it looks fantastic... :o
Use Shumpman's advice!

"USE A BOMB!"
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Oh man that looks so beautiful :shock: I want one my self.
antron

Post by antron »

We need to get that label in NES form.
rancor

Post by rancor »

Ghegs wrote:Thanks to the very skillful RGB I now have a beautiful, working, score-saving Blade Buster Famicom cart:
I must have that. Is RGB doing a run of those? Is it considered rude to PM him about it if he hasn't announced it? I'm sure he's gotten a flood and I don't want to anger him if he's the only source at the moment.
RGB

Post by RGB »

When this game came out I thought it would be nice to play it on a real deal, so I built a cart for myself. After that Ghegs got interested and so I built another one for him : ) These carts are special in a way, because instead of eproms I used flash memories (a bit more expensive), so that if a newer version comes out I can easily update it with my carts programmer.
Last edited by RGB on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

It'd be ace to see a custom Blade Buster NES cart sticker label. Cool to see that one of the very last official NES game carts to be released in the USA, Wario Woods, is a great donor cart to be converted into a superior BB caravan cart.

How does Blade Buster look on an "RGB modded" NES or Famicom console? Are the colors a bit off-key or not?

For playing BB on NES emu purposes, I just use a Dingoo Digital A320 handheld with it's nifty A/V output utilizing composite video at best. Better than nothing & ease of use in general.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
lufy

Post by lufy »

Ghegs wrote:Thanks to the very skillful RGB I now have a beautiful, working, score-saving Blade Buster Famicom cart:

ImageImage
(click for bigger)

It is quite awesome. And it seems the creator of the game has no issues with people putting the game into a cart, as there's some discussion going on about it in his site's guestbook.

Now I can properly start aiming for 500k in 2min mode.

wonderfull what game you us for make it ?
Dragon1952

Post by Dragon1952 »

I love this Blade Buster game and wish that more doujin or independant shooters coded for the famicom would appear from time to time!

These are a real treat!
"wax on...wax off!"
X-Tech

Post by X-Tech »

Recca Gameplay style even a bonus falling down like little eagels from Recca. Even a "Stage" words are in recca font, even a boss looks great. Gameplay is great.

Only one thing is not in Recca style - the music but it's ok.

I'm playing this again and again... :)
Hardcore shmup gamer.
Shmup music fan.
Shmup creator.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I was score attacking BB for sometime, then I gave up.
burgerkingdiamond

Post by burgerkingdiamond »

antron wrote:Google NES Reproductions. You will find someone who can make NES Reproduction carts.

One of our SHMUPS forum members also makes and sells them at Neo-Geo Forums.

This game uses:
  • Mapper #: 4
    Mapper name: MMC3
    Mirroring: Horizontal
    Battery-backed: Yes
These NES carts can be converted to Blade Buster, the most common ones are in bold:
  • Crystalis
    Deja Vu
    Gold Metal Challenge (capcom)
    Kirbys Adventure
    Magician
    Might & Magic
    Pool of Radiance
    Shadowgate
    Tecmo Basketball
    Tecmo Superbowl
    Uninvited
    Wario Woods
And these would need a battery added:
  • Bill Elliot Nascar
    Bo Jackson Baseball
    Bugs bunny birthday blowout
    Dracula (imagesoft)
    felix the cat
    gauntlet 2
    home alone
    image fight
    jurassic park
    kid klown
    king quest 5
    MC Kids
    Roundball
    Silver Surfer
    Star Wars
    Super Mario Bros 2
    Super Mario Bros 3

Tetris 2
    Tiny Toon workshop
    where in time is carmen
    where's waldo
*** Leon, at the NES cart site, confirmed that the above information is correct ***
This is awesome. I SO want to do this. Just please nobody sacrifice a Tecmo Super Bowl cart. That's just wrong.

Anyway, I'm totally comfortable soldering but can someone explain in more detail exactly how to do this? Flashing eeproms and such or whatever it is is foreign to me. And is anybody working on an image for an NES cart? Everyone with an NES should have one of these.
Let's Ass Kick Together!
1CCs : Donpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Dodonpachi (PCB - 1st loop) Battle Bakraid (PCB) Armed Police Batrider (PCB) Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 (360 - Original) Mushihimesama Futari BL (PCB - Original)
rancor

Post by rancor »

I got my cart from "RGB". It looks amazing and saves high-scores as well. Honestly - if I didn't tell you, you wouldn't know it was a custom cart. The label also looks 100% authentic.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

I love Famicom/NES repros. They're the coolest thing ever. My friend has a burner, time for him to get to work. I would gladly pay for an NES version label, though. This game looks sick as hell.

Still dumb to hear that Recca Pure sold for so much. I think I got mine from Game Reproductions for less than $30. Hell, I'm the reason that Recca Pure is even available on that site.

Almost makes me want to try coding an 8-bit game, then I realize Dreamcast development is probably easier. Props to the guy that put it together.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Hi,

Just a question really from a development point of view:

Why do you believe that the famicom/NES is 'hard' to develop for?
More Bromances = safer people
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

MintyTheCat wrote:Hi,

Just a question really from a development point of view:

Why do you believe that the famicom/NES is 'hard' to develop for?
The Dreamcast uses a modified version of C++, which is object-oriented programming. This is just easy, at least for me.

The NES runs on a much older processor that is similar to code to the Atari 2600, though video output is still a tad difficult to master, not to mention the fact that the NES has much stricter limitations.

I can't give you all the specific reasons right now, but the NES does not scream "easy" to me as well as the Dreamcast does. I still think coding on the NES is really cool, though.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
astroid

Post by astroid »

Dragon1952 wrote:I love this Blade Buster game and wish that more doujin or independant shooters coded for the famicom would appear from time to time!

These are a real treat!
Tell me please title of the game on white cartridge :oops:
ImageImageImage