Sine Mora(Suda 51 shmup)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Drachenherz

Re: Sine Mora(Suda 51 shmup)

Post by Drachenherz »

Udderdude wrote:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
Alfred wrote:I like it, I don't care if you all think it's shit. The game has some problems but at the end of the day it's still a good game. It was their first try at a STG. I would be interested in SM2. If more European devs would read this forum their games would be better and we could test the games before release.
Didn't one of the devs actually talk to people here and acted as if he gave a shit about what people kowledgeable in the shmup genre have to say about his team's idiotic ideas, only to then ignore almost everything that was said to him?
Yeah, he was in here a few (dozen?) pages back. He also showed up after the game was complete and released.

Here's his account! :O http://shmups.system11.org/memberlist.p ... ile&u=7548
Get the pitchforks out!
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

I suppose one of the easiest ways to assess how much you like a game is how often you play it. In my case I prefer to play Chu Chu Rocket.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

But Chu Chu Rocket is great fun to play with friends, and even single player some of the puzzles are mind bending.

Also to be fair, some of my favorite games I'v only played through once (Rpg's and whatnot), but those were 200+ hour playthroughs.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
casualcoder

Post by casualcoder »

EmperorIng wrote:Maybe she doesn't like all those loli shmups you have. :P
Actually, you are right. She just shakes her head and mumbles something about Japanese weirdness, which then i sometimes follow with a lecture on artistic freedom and the merits of gameplay underneath the exterior. At other times I just say, "yeah, I know."
Special World

Post by Special World »

and then goes on to play a game with furry rape ;)
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Didn't one of the devs actually talk to people here and acted as if he gave a shit about what people kowledgeable in the shmup genre have to say about his team's idiotic ideas, only to then ignore almost everything that was said to him?
If I recall, when it was suggested that there be basic changes like a speed/slowdown button to help people using digital controls (like an arcade stick), autofire, etc, I think Reiker said something to the effect that he didn't want to make any changes that made the game 'too hardcore'. It was very bizarre. Pretty sure they were just looking to hype up the game while their main market was a casual audience all along.
casualcoder wrote:I think for a shmup to really take the genre mainstream it would have to have the mastery of a Cave title with the visual appeal of something like this turd of a game
The artists who did Sine Mora should seriously team up with Cave's game designers.
Squire Grooktook

Good game design that makes it more fair for the player = too hardcore?

lol
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Special World

Post by Special World »

It's interesting to think that we're probably not playing the same game as most people who enjoy Sine Mora. I played it for a little bit last night in story mode, and it wasn't too bad. It was a little slow and the boss attacks could get stupid, but it really wasn't a terrible time. But if you play it in arcade mode, the game just turns to hell. It wasn't meant to have a scoring emphasis, and the insistence that people only play on hard or maniac is baffling. It seriously undermines your "casual-friendly" (or anyone-friendly, really) system when you can only take one or maybe two hits in arcade mode before being doomed to a game over. They should have AT LEAST made sure you could reasonably survive three hits.

Also, either the game's been patched or some people have been exaggerating. I recall hearing that there was no autofire, but it's there. I didn't try out a rapid-fire controller to see if I could break the limit, but when I hammered the button it seemed to go about as fast as the autofire.

Thinking about it, it's reasonable that a reviewer or casual player would think the game is good. It looks nice, has a well-presented story (although I haven't gotten very far), and seems solid from a playthrough where you're only focused on story. Since the difficulty isn't high in story mode, it doesn't make you aware of just how unfair and unpolished the game is in most respects. I think a lot of these people would play the arcade mode and not realize it's horrible because they just think it wasn't meant for them. Like, they play it and see how hard it is, and assume it's for hardcore players and that it accomplishes its objectives as well as the main game does. It does not.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure no one ever said there *wasn't* autofire, but rather is no *object limit* to it, so get your own rapidfire-controller and have a lovely stream of red.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Special World wrote:Also, either the game's been patched or some people have been exaggerating. I recall hearing that there was no autofire, but it's there.
The complaint was never that there's no autofire whatsoever, but that the autofire rate was too slow and VASTLY slower than the maximum cap when using a rapid fire controller. There's essentially no autofire in the sense that you do little to no damage compared to mashing like crazy or using a rapid controller, so someone with a rapid controller basically can break the game and the scoreboards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LbaiD5jKyo

If it's been patched so that you can't mash at all and the shot's just always slow... meh, still can't be bothered to care anymore. also watching that video again, fuck they really are bad at level design and enemy placement, it all looks so slow and boring and gimmicky, it makes me want to run into the sweet comforting arms of a Cave game
Special World

Post by Special World »

Fair enough. I thought the criticism was that there both wasn't autofire, and that you could increase it well beyond any sane limit. I'll have to try using a turbo controller to check at some point, I'm pretty sure my fightstick has turbo anyhow...
Special World

Post by Special World »

Yep. Autofire's still broken. It makes the arcade mode more tolerable, though.

Not that most of you played it much, but are you guys actually able to clear the levels in arcade mode? I can't get anywhere. Between the one-shot time-outs, sloppy control, and cheap boss attacks, this is one of the hardest shooters I've played.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Stage 1 will ruin you if you take it seriously - you'll be restarting over and over because you didn't get a shield before the midboss, or you get to the midboss with like a level 3 weapon, or what have you. By stage 2 your weapon will either be good or great and things go much more smoothly. Half your score comes from time bonuses and going through the stage at max rank, so losing your multiplier isn't the end of the world. (it's very nice if you can keep it though!) That applies through the whole game; don't be afraid to drop your multiplier to use your subweapon or reflect your way out of a tight situation.

I got to the last boss and bit it a second before winning and I never went back to finish it. Some day I will - I want that clear under my belt. Domus is a bitch though and I really hate how often I lose my run at it.

EDIT: The only cheap boss attacks I can think of are Kolobok's spiral and Papa Carlo's saw. I don't really see a way through them without either having a shield or using a subweapon/capsule. What else are you having trouble with?
Last edited by CStarFlare on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Special World wrote:Not that most of you played it much, but are you guys actually able to clear the levels in arcade mode? I can't get anywhere. Between the one-shot time-outs, sloppy control, and cheap boss attacks, this is one of the hardest shooters I've played.
I remember distinctly that the first boss in Arcade mode was absurdly harder than I'd expected, not to mention the difficulty in killing popcorn in a timely fashion made the timer extremely unforgiving in arcade mode. I actually chalked it up to the really fast and difficult to control precisely analog movement combined with how little spread the main gun starts with. But that was admittedly all before I knew about the rapidfire exploit, which really does completely change things.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

The popcorns can be annoying until you have a level 3 weapon. Just remember where they come on screen and try to get close to them to deal extra damage.

And yeah, the stage 1 (mid)-boss is poorly designed. My first memories of the game were frantically trying to kill every piece of him before I ran out of time - only to realize much later that he runs away and you don't have to be suicidal in trying to kill to top turret. And that spiral is just broken.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Special World

Post by Special World »

CStarFlare wrote:EDIT: The only cheap boss attacks I can think of are Kolobok's spiral and Papa Carlo's saw. I don't really see a way through them without either having a shield or using a subweapon/capsule. What else are you having trouble with?
I would consider a lot of the laser attacks and charging attacks to be cheap. You can memorize your way out of getting hit by them, but it's extremely unlikely that you'll escape getting hit by one your first few playthroughs. And if you focused more on arcade than story mode, that's really going to fuck you over.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Special World wrote:Not that most of you played it much, but are you guys actually able to clear the levels in arcade mode? I can't get anywhere. Between the one-shot time-outs, sloppy control, and cheap boss attacks, this is one of the hardest shooters I've played.
I only played Arcade mode, with the GE-22 and reflection capsule. Beat it with no continues.

Memorize shit, that's the only way to get through. Be on the lookout for spots where you can safely point-blank enemies for faster kills.
It's true, almost every boss has a pattern that seems unavoidable. However, if you don't get hit during stages themselves the game is kind enough to allow you to get to a boss with a shield in stock. The trick is to take advantage of the 5-second invincibility provided by the shield (once you get hit) in order to get through the nastiest part of the fight unscathed and not even use a capsule.

In a good run I could get to Libelle without losing my multiplier, but that part between Libelle and Papa Carlo always hits me.... :lol:
BIOS

Post by BIOS »

im a button press away from buying Sine Mora. is it really that bad.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yes.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Do you like scat? if not, don't buy this.
Squire Grooktook

Are you getting it for 1 dollar on Steam? If you like your games looking pretty, and would like to see somewhat experiment with the concept of a time limit in a shmup, then I guess maybe you could get some one time amusement out of it.

Just don't expect to revisit it. Or to get good level design. Or good gameplay design.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

BIOS wrote:im a button press away from buying Sine Mora. is it really that bad.
I came across 3rd party website selling S&M (PC) for under £2 yesterday, I can't remember the name but If you are gonna buy it you might aswell pick it up cheap so you don't feel violated :)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

If you're going to get it, get it cheap.
Observer

Post by Observer »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:
BIOS wrote:im a button press away from buying Sine Mora. is it really that bad.
I came across 3rd party website selling S&M (PC) for under £2 yesterday, I can't remember the name but If you are gonna buy it you might aswell pick it up cheap so you don't feel violated :)
Probably Green man Gaming, heh.

If I want a shmup with a time limit mechanic I would rather pick Warning Forever (free) or the experimental Project RepLiser...
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Try the demo first if you're not sure?
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Hal1

Sine Mora is going MOBILE!

Post by Hal1 »

Sorry for this post being slightly late...

Sine Mora is out now for iOS (Universal)! Pocket Scientists, the developer who ported this game to iOS, is almost finishing the Android port! This is the second mobile release of a Grasshopper Manufacture game and will be also its first Android game!

App Store Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sine-mo ... 96796?mt=8 (Note: The co-developer of the game Digital Reality is listed as the seller.)

Press Release: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressrele ... mobile.php

SORRY FOR LATE EDIT BUT here's a gameplay video of this version, for those who missed the Sine Mora iOS port.
Last edited by Hal1 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I express my apologies for posting a bunch of mobile shmup threads in this forum in recent months, because some members perceive them as "spam." I have to redeem myself.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

Cult classic

Post by 7711 »

Fuck all the hate this games gets, I'm buying it.
Not expecting to love it, but I'm really curious and seriously in love with the graphics.
Overly obsessed asian girls fanatic.
23/08/2013 : I now swear on my honor (like I have any) never to use a bomb again.
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

7711 wrote:Fuck all the hate this games gets, I'm buying it.
Not expecting to love it, but I'm really curious and seriously in love with the graphics.
Get Akai Katana. Horizontal, great graphics, tons of fun in novice mode, great challenge in normal mode. 3 unique modes for the price of one.
Try out both demo's and then decide. But if you want it for the sake of wanting it. Go ahead.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
malchitos

Post by malchitos »

nasty_wolverine wrote:
7711 wrote:Fuck all the hate this games gets, I'm buying it.
Get Akai Katana. Horizontal, great graphics, tons of fun in novice mode, great challenge in normal mode. 3 unique modes for the price of one.

I got to agree...I bought both close to the same time...and even though SM is so much prettier...it was out shined by AK's shin mode. In fact I've not touched SM in over a year...but did play AK a few days ago and usually do once a week. I wanted to fall in love with SM...but we are just friends I guess. :|
Waiting on the end!(Whether that's the world or a burrito in the microwave changes daily.)