Removing the red flashes in Zero wing

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
nimitz

Removing the red flashes in Zero wing

Post by nimitz »

As the title says, I made a mame cheat to remove the annoying full-screen red flashes in zero-wing, It works perfectly and doesnt affect gameplay in any other way.

http://www.mediafire.com/?6b53flb0an13u7w

It is based off the latest "old" format cheat.dat file and is the latest release of that old format, all you need to do is extract it in your mame folder, then enable the cheat in the game. Also, this is for the zerowing set (not the two player version).

It is very easy to convert it to the "newer" cheat format mame130 and over, I might convert it if enough people want that, but do yourself a favor and play this game on mame 106 or under (old video driver).
Last edited by nimitz on Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed Oscuro

Re: [Done] Zero wing cheat to remove the red flashes

Post by Ed Oscuro »

haha, awesome. Never could imagine why Toaplan did that to the game to begin with - it didn't make the game unplayable to me but it's not very pleasant either.
nimitz

Re: [Done] Zero wing cheat to remove the red flashes

Post by nimitz »

By the way, the whole process of making that zero wing cheat took less than 30 minutes, so if anyone has ideas for anything that can be improved/modified in any mame shmup, just ask here. If it's doable and I like the idea, I'll implement it.

Side note, I just figured out what was wrong with the colors in Flying tiger, I should be able to make a patch soon enough (this one will probably be added to mame)

edit: I made a thread for fixes ideas http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32691
Arcatech

Re: Removing the red flashes in Zero wing

Post by Arcatech »

Would someone be willing to upload the file for this again?

Sounds like a good idea. The flashes always annoyed me.
AgentD

Post by AgentD »

Anyone have this cheat file? I'd really like to locate that.

Edit:

Here's the text of the cheat file.

<cheat desc="Disable Red Screen Flashing"> <comment>Stops the whole screen flashing red when something is hit</comment>
<script state="on">
<action>temp0 =maincpu.mw@00186</action>
</script>
<script state="run">
<action>maincpu.mw@00186=6010</action>
</script>
<script state="off">
<action>maincpu.mw@00186=temp0 </action>
</script>
</cheat>
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I don't remember where I found it (possibly the Progetto site, or whatever it's called that has all the snapshots/icons/etc.), but there's a huge "cheat.7z" file out there that includes this particular one.