Shienryu impression and a question

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
JL

Shienryu impression and a question

Post by JL »

I'm currently playing this one. I've got impression that it has lots of similarities with the classic Raiden 2. It has much simpler weapon system and it's more colourful. I've also noticed that there's a crazy guy appearing at the very end.
Last edited by JL on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

I picked up Shienryu when it came out for Saturn, and was quite addicted to it for a while. Though it is very derivative of the early Raiden games, it's still very enjoyable. It's one of my favorite Saturn shooters, to be honest, even if it isn't very unique.
JL

Post by JL »

One thing, I'm curious about is the 'P' letters appearing below the score from time to time. I know that it suppose to mean 'power-ups', but even when I seem to have full power-ups(3 max?), I do not see those letters. I wonder when do they appear and why?
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

I've wondered about those P symbols as well.

Although the Raiden influence is obvious, Shienryu feels more derivative of Toaplan to me. Granted, Raiden was heavily influenced by Toaplan's work. But the prevalence of circular tanks, the weapon system, the space levels, they scream Toaplan homage.

Damn fine game. Not as good as Raiden or Toaplan's best, and it'd be hard pressed to be a AAA Saturn shooter, but it's still thoroughly worthwhile.
D

Post by D »

I don't know about the P.
But you guys do know about the shield that you can get tight.
Somehow I forgot how you can get a shield that can guard your ship against bullets.

The sprite changes a little bit. It has a grey shield somewhere in the middle. And you can get it once and the shield breaks. You will hear a sortof scraping sound and the shield is gone.

This has been discussed in the past, but I think it was in the old forum.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

D wrote:I don't know about the P.
But you guys do know about the shield that you can get tight.
Somehow I forgot how you can get a shield that can guard your ship against bullets.

The sprite changes a little bit. It has a grey shield somewhere in the middle. And you can get it once and the shield breaks. You will hear a sortof scraping sound and the shield is gone.

This has been discussed in the past, but I think it was in the old forum.
Oh yes, the shield. Every so often, a super powerup item will appear, which will automatically power you up all the way. However, if you're already fully powered up, and you get this item, bam, shield.

That's one of my major gripes with Shienryu, it's too random. Without warning 1Ups will pop up and suddenly you have a whole new thing to worry about. And nothing is worse than dying when trying to get the 1Up. Damn checkpoints. (Although I don't mind it in Shienryu so much, because they don't apply at bosses.)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Whenever you get a flashing "P" you automatically get a level increase in weapon power and a shield (extra hit) which is signified by the white on the front of your ship. When you get one of the flashing "P"s when you're fully-powered up, a roulette of power-ups/bombs is ignited, which is good for grabbing points and bombs. Both "P"s and 1-ups are random from my experience (though the flashing "P" appears most often when you die during a level), and you can actually get up to a 3-up icon.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Nemo wrote:Whenever you get a flashing "P" you automatically get a level increase in weapon power and a shield (extra hit) which is signified by the white on the front of your ship. When you get one of the flashing "P"s when you're fully-powered up, a roulette of power-ups/bombs is ignited, which is good for grabbing points and bombs. Both "P"s and 1-ups are random from my experience (though the flashing "P" appears most often when you die during a level), and you can actually get up to a 3-up icon.
Are you sure you automatically get a shield with the flashing P? I'm almost certain that the shield only activates when you're already fully powered.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

alpha5099 wrote: Are you sure you automatically get a shield with the flashing P? I'm almost certain that the shield only activates when you're already fully powered.
no, nemo is right, you always get the shield (grey nose). (at least in the saturn version). when you're at full power you get the item wheel + the shield if you don't already have it.
D

Post by D »

That's also what I like about Shienryu.
That e can have topics like this.

Thanks for the info.
I never got the spinning wheel thing though.
Guess I'm not that good.
Or I should play on a difficulty other that the hardest one.
JL

Post by JL »

It's cooler than what I thought initially. By the way, I got '2up' item while I was playing one of later stages. Yes 2 extra lives!!
Sengoku Strider

Re:

Post by Sengoku Strider »

I've gotten caught up in this game for the last week, just playing it for hours. When it first arrived a couple of weeks ago, I was a bit disappointed, and thinking it might have been a hundred-odd dollars not so well spent. "Oh. It's just a bog standard Raiden clone. Hmm, it seems to lack flash, kinda cookie cutter. Blah, why is the enemy mech on the cover so much cooler than the ship they give you? This must just have an inflated price for Saturn reasons."

I came back to it a couple of weeks later in a less sleepy state, and it just sucked me right in. The movement feels really fluid. I was alternating between it and Layer Section this afternoon, and the latter (which I still like) just felt like it was underwater by comparison. It's in that classic Toaplan lane where it's challenging, but it's not manic or bullet hell. I can stick with it for a long time without burnout.

And the artwork is really nice, done in a hand-drawn style that's just a pleasure to look at. It holds up really well, with scan lines or without. The use of colour is wonderful, I wish my crummy cell phone camera could do it justice:

OSSCs need an image export function of some kind.

The best analogy I can think of for my thoughts so far is that Shienryu is a really nicely cooked steak. It's not filet mignon, it doesn't have much in the way of spices on it. But it's still a really good meal that provides plenty of shmup protein.
JL wrote:One thing, I'm curious about is the 'P' letters appearing below the score from time to time. I know that it suppose to mean 'power-ups', but even when I seem to have full power-ups(3 max?), I do not see those letters. I wonder when do they appear and why?
To answer a question from 16 years ago, in case anyone Googles this game and stumbles across this thread:

The Ps beneath your remaining ships in the top left are extra power ups in reserve.
If you hit max power and collect another power up, a P will appear there, up to three.
If you die those will carry over, and you'll start at the equivalent power level.
spmbx

Re: Shienryu impression and a question

Post by spmbx »

As a casual player i never really got into this because i could never get over the completely mediocre soundtrack. The game itself always seemed pretty cool to play, just... why?
BEAMLORD

Re: Re:

Post by BEAMLORD »

Sengoku Strider wrote:shmup protein
This is gonna become part of my shmup lexicon :mrgreen:

Haven't played this one, or bothered to research much, but I'm in the long process of building a Saturn shmup collection. Ticking off the classics mainly at the moment, titles I largely know about. Maybe I'll look at it more closely at some point.
Sengoku Strider

BEAMLORD wrote:

Haven't played this one, or bothered to research much, but I'm in the long process of building a Saturn shmup collection. Ticking off the classics mainly at the moment, titles I largely know about. Maybe I'll look at it more closely at some point.
It's one for down the line. Even though it's pushed the classics out of my rotation ATM, the game's on the expensive end of the catalogue, and there are others that are more unique in multiple ways.

Of the Saturn shmups I have so far, I'd rate them like so:

Classic, can't go wrong with it:

Radiant Silvergun (The crown jewel of many a Saturn collection. Expensive but worth owning.)
Dodonpachi (I have a lot of fun with it, but some hardcore players will tell you nothing but the PCB will do, though the PS1 version is closest)
Strikers 1945 (Quite likely still the best version of a fantastic game)
Sengoku Blade (Same as above)

Really good:

Layer Section (Many have this in the first category)
Darius Gaiden (Many will say this is the best Darius game and put it in the first category)
Soukyuugurentai (I would have had this solidly in the first category until rank & scoring put me off a bit, but I might come around to it again)
Shippuu Mahou Daisakusen Kingdom Grand Prix (I almost want to put this in the first category)
Shienryu
Gunbird

For fans only:

Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Mobile Suit Gundam

^^ Both mediocre games that do use the license well and can be had for like $5.

Witholding judgement:

In the Hunt
Layer Section II

^^ I haven't spent enough time with these yet to form a solid opinion.

Recommend buying on other systems:

Battle Garegga (I can't recommend the $2-300 Saturn port when the PS4 version tops it significantly.)
Fantasy Zone (Sega AGES in 2019 > Sega AGES in 1997)
Thunder Force AC and Thunder Force IV (Sega AGES in 2020 > Gold Pack 2 in 1996)

Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang and Guardian force are all coming out for current platforms on one Saturn Tribute disc. They're all pricey but the Cotton games in particular have reached completely stupid territory. Unless the emulation turns out to be awful, wait on the collection instead.

I'm also waiting on the physical Switch release of Game Tengoku from Dispatch Games, I'll be able to offer opinions on that when it ships some time circa 2027.
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Thanks for the pointers. So far, I have Darius Gaiden, Layer Section, Thunder Force AC/IV, Donpachi and In The Hunt (bugged version that never boots - lucky me). So a mixed bag so far. Just checked ebay for Shienryu, pricey but within the affordability range for me. I'll get round to it, at some point or other
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

@Sengoku Strider:

Your impressions of Shienryu very much match my own. I got it together with Layer Section as one of my first Saturn shmups, back when both were actually quite inexpensive and only RSG was fetching high prices. It's just a really well-made game, very solid on all fronts. It's no surprise that it's a frequent visitor in my yearly top 25. Nice to see it getting some love.
Bassa-Bassa

Post by Bassa-Bassa »

BEAMLORD wrote:

Get S. Gurentai, Shippuu Mahou Daisakusen, Layer Section, Darius Gaiden, the three Parodius and Twin Bee Deluxe Pack while they're more or less affordable. Game Tengoku if you can use a vertical CRT monitor (otherwise the recent rerelease might be a better option), but this is just "really good" at most.

Anything else, I don't think it's in the affordable category or is the Saturn version the one you should look for.
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

I picked up Shienryu a year ago, and was pretty impressed with it. I appreciate its simple, straightforward gameplay and nicely detailed graphics and backgrounds. Even the soundtrack is catchy. Its become one of my favorites on the Saturn.

Its funny though... I've had the PS1 version (Gekiho) for a long time now, and I've always felt it was just a mediocre shmup on that console. I played it a few times and never went back. Lol
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

spmbx wrote:As a casual player i never really got into this because i could never get over the completely mediocre soundtrack. The game itself always seemed pretty cool to play, just... why?
Are we even talking about the same game???
I won't say the OST it's one of the all time greatest, BUT:

https://youtu.be/zPVq9j91w0s

https://youtu.be/WkAAgLYXl1s

https://youtu.be/Eh8xNrJZUjI
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I always liked the soundtrack on this. It's a shame the sound levels are botched as I get get a lot of clipping and distortion on Saturn (I assume it's not just an issue with my setup).

I'm pretty sure I read through this thread back then but I never saw Shienryu as a Raiden clone. The lighting seemed more Tatusjin than Raiden, but yeah they share a common ancestor, as mentioned previously.
CIT

Post by CIT »

J-Manic wrote:Its funny though... I've had the PS1 version (Gekiho) for a long time now, and I've always felt it was just a mediocre shmup on that console. I played it a few times and never went back. Lol
Yeah, the PS1 Port ist garbage. The PS2 port is really good though, with tate mode and even 240p display. It also comes packaged with the sequel, Shienryu Explosion, although that game is just OK.

I recommend Shienryu fans check out it’s quasi-prequel Daioh and quasi-sequel Sengeki Striker. Those games are cool too, although Shienryu is still the best of the bunch.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

One thing about the Twinbee Deluxe pack. Detana Twinbee seems to be based on the X68000 port and lacks a tate mode. Yahho was always on a horizontal monitor, though.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

CIT wrote:
J-Manic wrote:I recommend Shienryu fans check out it’s quasi-prequel Daioh and quasi-sequel Sengeki Striker. Those games are cool too, although Shienryu is still the best of the bunch.
Yup, Warashi goodness. I own Sengeki Striker but Daioh PCB is hard to find :cry:
Sengoku Strider

scrilla4rella wrote:I'm pretty sure I read through this thread back then but I never saw Shienryu as a Raiden clone. The lighting seemed more Tatusjin than Raiden, but yeah they share a common ancestor, as mentioned previously.
You're quite right to peg that as an influence. My mind went to Raiden because of the missile, spread & purple homing weapon trio, and just because of how massively successful the first two games in that series were. Since Raiden was quite consciously designed as a Toaplan clone because the devs needed a safe money maker, the question is kind of academic anyway.

Looking at footage of Tatsujin (I recently bought a copy, but it's stuck on a ship somewhere out in the Pacific), there are a ton of elements lifted right out of it. The powerup icons are practically CTRL+V. Even Shienryu's first boss is almost a xerox. They could have called this game Tatsujin Daioh and nobody would have blinked (aside from copyright lawyers).

Shienryu has an advantage in technology and presentation though. I'm looking forward to being able to compare them head to head now.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

The golden rival mech in Daioh & Shienryu is also very reminiscent of the golden rival mech from Dogyuun. Right down to the chest beam.

One of the things that makes the Athena / Warashi duo more immediately comparable to Raiden is the structure - Earth levels for the beginning, then blast off into space for the later portion. Every (non-Fighters) Raiden game does that while the Tatsujins are only set in space.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Sengoku Strider

Is it just me, or does picking up the shield raise the rank massively? I swear I get sniped within a minute of getting it every time.
SF Kosmo

Post by SF Kosmo »

I always dug the arcade Daioh where you could use any weapon at any time like Radiant Silvergun. I wish there was a version of Shienryu like that.
Sengoku Strider

SF Kosmo wrote:I always dug the arcade Daioh where you could use any weapon at any time like Radiant Silvergun. I wish there was a version of Shienryu like that.
When I first read this I was like "nah, you'd mess up the game balance" but then I realized there kind of isn't one. There's a tradeoff between the lightning being good for most situations but awful for most bosses. But the truth is the basic spread shot is the best all around weapon for almost any situation, it does the most damage, fires the fastest and at full power it covers like 60% of the screen . Letting you switch to the homing missiles or lightning in tight situations would at least give you a reason to ever use anything else.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Herr Schatten wrote:@Sengoku Strider:

Your impressions of Shienryu very much match my own. I got it together with Layer Section as one of my first Saturn shmups, back when both were actually quite inexpensive and only RSG was fetching high prices. It's just a really well-made game, very solid on all fronts. It's no surprise that it's a frequent visitor in my yearly top 25. Nice to see it getting some love.
I pretty much did the same, and it was I think the fourth Shmup that I bought for the Saturn when prices were completely fine - around 2000.

It's a nicely polished homage in some ways to Raiden and it's well done, but I've always admired Raiden and it may not appeal to other Shmuppers who don't like that slower and more deliberate style of Shmup.

Well worth playing if you can.
More Bromances = safer people