DoDonpachi 2: Bee Storm - Internet ranking

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
postman

DoDonpachi 2: Bee Storm - Internet ranking

Post by postman »

I just found out that DDP 2 has an internet ranking, which is very unusual for an arcade machine. I checked the igs homepage, and there is no listing for high scores for Bee Storm.

Are there any more shmup arcade machines with a net ranking feature?

Or does anyone know if the ranking page is still up somewhere?
zlk

Post by zlk »

The DDP2 internet rankings became useless around one year ago. The top 100 scores were completely fake. The DDP2 roms have been floating around for quite some time and probably someone familiar with the IGS hardware and emulation found a way to fake the scores. The world record on DDP2 is about 8.2 billion. All the scores on the IGS website were at least 1000x higher than that.

Currently mushihimesama by Cave has an internet ranking system.
Darkcomet72

Post by Darkcomet72 »

8.2 billion is the REAL world record???!!! Holy :shock:

That's even higher than Dai-ou-Jou Black Label!!!

I need to know more about the scoring system.
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
Neon

Post by Neon »

I thought high scores for that game were irrelevant, since they don't reset when you continue.
zlk

Post by zlk »

If you continue once, your score will end in a one. If you continue twice, then your score ends in a two and so on. I suppose if you continued 10 times, the continue information would show up in the internet code that you get at the end of the game to submit to IGS even though your score ended in a zero. The 8.2B score is legit as the player that achieved it is very well known in Japan.

There are two keys to scoring high in DDP 2. The first is to get very close to enemies and laser them. If you can point blank laser an enemy that takes a while to kill, your score will skyrocket. The second key to scoring well is to use the energy ship and scrape bullets for tons of points. One good technique is to hit the laser energy-bomb when you very close to an enemy as it emits tons of bullets. You will score tons of points from being close. Your energy-laserbomb will also refill as the bullets go through you (you are invulnerable since you are using the energy-laserbomb) and you can repeat the process over and over.
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Wait, is this game emulated? If so, how?
dbd

more rumours about score tables?!

Post by dbd »

More dubious happenings........

how do you ever know for sure if scores are faked or not?

anyone can post anything,

it might be possible to even figure out the codes used in some games, so that a highscore table entry might be faked,

only way you could really know 100% is if you were watching them play, or saw* the whole replay of the game.

*and heard!
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Re: more rumours about score tables?!

Post by Thunder Force »

dbd wrote:it might be possible to even figure out the codes used in some games, so that a highscore table entry might be faked,

only way you could really know 100% is if you were watching them play, or saw* the whole replay of the game.
Official world record databases such as Twin Galaxies do indeed require players to pass verification requirements.