what happened to: Dennin Aleste 2 (Robo Aleste 2) ???????

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

a.) a good number shmupers here do not own, love and appreciate Dennin Aleste / Robo Aleste
Uh, because you treat a particular game with "god" status means everybody else should? That's not going to happen.

And especially with shmups, so cry. Personally I haven't heard of this thing before, and I haven't heard of it, it must be pretty crap. Also, most games that are underrated usually have a few people who love it. Basically all games have some influence on a person after they've played them, and usually people don't forget what they've played unless it was, say, Bubsy 3D.

Just like - I have a boxed, japanese Mario Kart for SNES with manual. Sitting next to it, is a japanese, boxed Mortal Kombat for SNES. And you know what? They're both fucking shit. But you know what? Lots, and I mean lots, enjoy Mortal Kombat(and the fact that you have to press a button to block and Mario Kart. I don't blame them for it though.

Do I go around, screaming at people who don't appreciate Toejam and Earl and give their own love and dedication towards mainstream shit like Madden 2005? No, but to each their own.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
D

Post by D »

Elixir wrote:
I have a boxed, japanese Mario Kart for SNES with manual. Sitting next to it, is a japanese, boxed Mortal Kombat for SNES. And you know what? They're both fucking shit.
Just because you have two boxed Japanese games with manual doesn't justify bashing them. 8)

Both are excellent games.
People still play Mario Kart SNES, and i imagine few underground tournaments are still being held.MK is good too. Still compettive games, the both of them :P
CIT

Post by CIT »

Elixir wrote:
Personally I haven't heard of this thing before, and I haven't heard of it, it must be pretty crap.
No, if you haven't heard of it, it just means you don't know anything about shooters. The Aleste series IS basic shmup knowledge.

----

Re: original topic

I never heard that a sequel to Dennin Aleste was in the works, although there was supposed to be a "Seirei Senshi Aleste" game for PCE, kind of as a companion piece to Seirei Senshi Spriggan. Possibly that is what is referred to here.

As for Dennin Aleste. I like it better than Musha Aleste from a technical standpoint, although it's gameplay is somewhat weaker since they removed the ability to adjust your options.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

I must derail this topic and point out that link indicates that Alien Vs. Predator, which I'm assuming is the Capcom beat 'em up, was cancelled for the Saturn. MOTHER FUCKER!

There's a few other interesting games I wish had made it, like Guilty Gear.
Some men dream of fortunes,
others dream of cookies.
Lucky Numbers 4, 15, 16, 24, 36, 46
Rooster

Post by Rooster »

[quote="alpha5099"]I must derail this topic and point out that link indicates that Alien Vs. Predator, which I'm assuming is the Capcom beat 'em up, was cancelled for the Saturn. MOTHER FUCKER!quote]

Agreed. That would be my alltime favorite beat em up. If you happen to be into Dreamcast homebrew at all, they have a Beats of Rage mod available that is supposedly the same as the arcade offering with small improvements like rain effects (can't vouch for the entire thing being accurate, but I did peek at it and what I saw was decent).

Back on topic (sort of), MUSHA rocked pretty hard.
nosorrow

Re:

Post by nosorrow »

Rooster wrote:
alpha5099 wrote: Back on topic (sort of), MUSHA rocked pretty hard.
Yes it does!

However, Robo Aleste is one of the most underwhelming shooters I've ever played. I believe I have owned the game three different times, only to sell it back shortly thereafter every time... Only, I play some Musha - or Space Megaforce or Zanac Neo - and then I say to myself: "Maybe I should try that Robo Aleste again, it looks and sounds nice and I probably wasn't ready for it!", or something like that. But every time I do, I become infuriated by the one-hit kills and the seemingly underpowered weapons. Or maybe I am just playing the game wrong?

Is anyone still playing Robo Aleste semi-regularly around these parts? I'd love to read why you think the gameplay is great (I think we'll all agree that production values are very good, so no need pointing that out :-)).
Kollision

Re: what happened to: Dennin Aleste 2 (Robo Aleste 2) ???

Post by Kollision »

Robo Aleste is superior to MUSHA in every single technical and aesthetical aspect.
The only criticism I'll accept is the train stage being too long, but that's it.
the androgyne

Post by the androgyne »

Sorry for the bump but ah, better late than never right?

https://twitter.com/yamimaru_/status/13 ... 05345?s=21
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Wow. I made some stupid posts back in 2005. Now that I have Dennin Aleste, I have mixed feelings about the game. So far, it feels a bit unpolished compared to Musha, though the aesthetics are very nice. Love the idea of a fictional version of past Japan with giant robots. Thanks for the information on the cancelled Dennin Aleste 2. Looks like M2 is using some ideas from it for Senjin Aleste.

edit: I'm not so sure that Compile Club poster is related to the article on Dennin Aleste 2, but I wouldn't be surprised if it influenced the design of the characters in Senjin Aleste.