ESP Ra.De. PCB - International versus Japanese differences?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MmSadda

ESP Ra.De. PCB - International versus Japanese differences?

Post by MmSadda »

What're the differences between the Japanese and International versions of ESP Ra.De?

I'm looking at possibly picking up the PCB of this based on the fact that it's not terribly expensive for a Cave game, and how much I love Galuda - I just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into with one board versus the other.

Also, what are the approximate values of each version?
-Collin
kernow

Re: ESP Ra.De. PCB - International versus Japanese differences?

Post by kernow »

The jp one has a little animation with a hand zooming in, and says 'ESP.ra.de' vocally.

Thats it, and I think its in JP text, you can also burn 2 eproms to change the region anyway, so just go for the cheapest.

$200 for international, $250 for JP.

Its not as fun as ESPGaluda, buy dodonpachi or ibara instead :P
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

ESP Ra.De. is the bomb.
MmSadda

Post by MmSadda »

Awesome, thanks for the thoughts on price - that'll help me decide what to do, if anything. Doesn't look as fantastic as Galuda, true, but I'm really curious to try it....

If I want to try Ibara again (and surprisingly, I may), my buddy has an Ibara board.... Never played DDP as far as I can recall, just DP, aod DOJ....
-Collin
chempop

Post by chempop »

Never played DDP as far as I can recall
for shame!!! Stop what you are doing and download the game this instant.
Honestly though, $200-250 seems like a nice investment for Ra.de, for those who aren't into emerald trany fairies it is a solid alternative - and it has the best bullets ever: HANDS
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

chempop wrote:it has the best bullets ever: HANDS
I actually found them so disturbing that I sold the PCB.
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
kernow

Post by kernow »

I sold the pcb because it was boring :?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

MmSadda wrote:Doesn't look as fantastic as Galuda, true, but I'm really curious to try it....
ESP Ra.De. is incredibly pretty. The hit box is a bit confusing at first (the head of the character I think), especially if you've played ESPGALUDA a lot. The scoring is totally different, more like Ketsui than ESPGALUDA what with all the pointblanking then chaining. Just understand that it plays nothing like ESPGALUDA.

The Japanese PCB has an ATLUS etching on the parts side IIRC, while the international ones does not. This is what you're paying extra for, not the animation on the title screen. :D
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
captpain

Post by captpain »

emphatic wrote:
MmSadda wrote: The hit box is a bit confusing at first (the head of the character I think),
Sort of behind the head, actually, but definitely north of the sprite's center.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

The international version has english text. the game is a lot of fun if you ignore boss milking for score.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

There's always the cool Clover-TAC self produced superplay of ESP.Ra.De on the old school VHS tape format to watch/digress over. You might learn some new tricks to better improve your overall score. Had it converted to DVD-R format for posterity. It has an overall running time of 50 minutes & 14 seconds in length.

It's listed under the following proper VHS superplay title: ESP.Ra.De. ckdf Irori - Clover-TAC

Even Cave fessed up to using pre-rendered graphics for all the main characters for their smooth overall aestethics and motions...they were having a hell of a time trying to get the movements done right by hand but it didn't work out. This is one of those rare cases of Cave utilzing rendered graphics in it's classic old school arcade shmup titles to solve their dilema of sliky-smooth character animation and ESP.Ra.De. has it in spades.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

E.S.Prade is a really fantastic shmup, well worth the relatively low price tag and on a par with Espgaluda (they're just different games, but equally exciting.)

The last boss is a total beeyatch, but getting there isn't too tough a challenge compared to most Cave stuff of the time.

Just get it, it's a great way to start on the PCB route.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

lgb

Post by lgb »

The old Japanese version (4/14) has a particular bug which the new Japan (4/21) and international (4/22) releases removed.
NR777

Post by NR777 »

Skykid wrote:E.S.Prade is a really fantastic shmup, well worth the relatively low price tag and on a par with Espgaluda (they're just different games, but equally exciting.)

The last boss is a total beeyatch, but getting there isn't too tough a challenge compared to most Cave stuff of the time.

Ms. Garra is a huge pain in the ass...as is the 4th Stage boss. Oddly enough, though, Garra's last pattern is much easier than it looks.
Jockel wrote:I could never play on a screen that's smaller than my dick.
serious internet is serious
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

NR777 wrote:
Skykid wrote:E.S.Prade is a really fantastic shmup, well worth the relatively low price tag and on a par with Espgaluda (they're just different games, but equally exciting.)

Ms. Garra is a huge pain in the ass...as is the 4th Stage boss. Oddly enough, though, Garra's last pattern is much easier than it looks.
She's probably the easiest of Cave's final bosses.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
NR777

Post by NR777 »

I'd have to agree with you, at least on her final form. I still have trouble with her first two forms. Esp Ra.De. remains my only Cave clear. *EDIT* As of last night, add Deathsmiles to that list. I'll probably come back to Futari BL once I get tired of Deathsmiles...but I don't see that happening for a while.
Jockel wrote:I could never play on a screen that's smaller than my dick.
serious internet is serious
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Can anyone expand on the effects of the 4/14 bug or what triggers it? The link above just mentions that it is related to scoring but doesn't explain what triggers the bug or what it actually is.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

jepjepjep wrote:Can anyone expand on the effects of the 4/14 bug or what triggers it? The link above just mentions that it is related to scoring but doesn't explain what triggers the bug or what it actually is.
The only thing known is that all of a sudden your score will rise to the likes of 200 millions. No one knows how to trigger it, in fact zlk is offering a bounty to whoever manages to capture the bug in video.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Acid King wrote:
NR777 wrote:

She's probably the easiest of Cave's final bosses.
I'm off to watch some vids. That must mean there's an easy technique for evading those stupid hands.

The easiest Cave boss though? Nah, not with Tyrannosatan around.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

I'm off to watch some vids. That must mean there's an easy technique for evading those stupid hands.
The last attack? All you need to do is circle around her.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

I totally agree with this sentiment. The art in ESPrade is phenomenal, and the scoring mechanics are fun aside from the boss milking. I'm not good enough to worry about the extra points from boss milking but spraying enemies for the 16x multiplier is a good mechanic. I'm surprised it doesn't get much praise, since it's similar to point blanking in Ketsui.

Anyone notice the "New Jack City" graffiti in Bay Area?