Sideline PC shmup

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BareKnuckleRoo

Re: Sideline PC shmup

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Oh, okay, phew, I actually worried something might've happened to you and we were at risk of both losing SideLine and Rolling-Start.com suddenly.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

http://sideline.ghegs.com/ is back up. I did notice that the link to Jemm has stopped working at some point, if somebody can point to me where it's located now, I'll update the page.

I do have JEMMEX.EXE stored elsewhere, so I guess I could just add that to the zip as well.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'd just stash it with the game. Back in the day when hard drive space was at a premium and before systems got better about storing drivers needed for multiple programs it made sense to only have one copy of whatever you needed, but nowadays for MS-DOS dependencies like JEMMEX, CWSDPMI, etc, the size of them is relatively trivial and it's usually easier and more convenient to stash all of a game's needed files with it archived together.

I try to do the same thing for Windows games that have needed DLL files. If I ever need a backup, unless the DLLs it needs are massive it's handy to have all of the core files needed stashed in the game's folder, even if it means a few games have duplicate DLL files in their respective folders. It's easier to maintain the games that way for backups and archiving in a working state, even if it means they take up a bit more space.

I notice places like Abandonia don't have SideLine up yet either, might try and put the bug in their mirror to see if they'll offer it for download.

Glad to see you're still around!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Managed to 1CC SideLine's first loop, got all the way to Loop 2 Stage 8 on one credit. Was too tired to keep going, but still have to clear the second loop even if I credit feed it to see if it infinitely loops or not. The second loop seems to be mostly the same in Normal mode until stage 3 or so - the boss has a bit more health, then in stage 4 stuff fires visibly faster and more densely. There's some enemies that become very sniper-y in Stage 7. Current best is 2,968,600.

Actually, the worst change are the spiky orbs that release shootable bullets you first find in Stage 5 and again in Stage 8. The shots they fire are WAY faster and they seem to be harder to kill. I got overwhelmed by them.

Run's up here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdD4m2Mge8k / https://www.twitch.tv/videos/500516882

Should be a decent reference for anyone looking to learn the game, the first loop went a lot better than I expected and I hadn't expected to get far into the second loop.

Currently working on a strategy guide for it now that I'm comfortable I'm good enough at it to write about the game: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65435
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ghegs wrote:I do have JEMMEX.EXE stored elsewhere, so I guess I could just add that to the zip as well.
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I'd just stash it with the game. Back in the day when hard drive space was at a premium and before systems got better about storing drivers needed for multiple programs it made sense to only have one copy of whatever you needed, but nowadays for MS-DOS dependencies like JEMMEX, CWSDPMI, etc, the size of them is relatively trivial and it's usually easier and more convenient to stash all of a game's needed files with it archived together.
Please do guys, it would be nice if all the necessary files would be downloadable on Ghegs 's site or bundled in the zip. I couldn't manage to find that jemmex file, or I should say I'm not sure what I should pick (not a DOS era connoisseur really)

That game is quite attractive, gotta play it.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Sorry, I kept forgetting to do this. JemmEx is now downloadable directly from my site, and apparently the original host site for it is working now as well, so all should be well.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Thanks!
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
maxtherabbit

Post by maxtherabbit »

I want to play this, what level of original hardware is needed? Pentium, 486, etc?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

It was a game that was out originally for MS-DOS (as well as Windows 95 apparently) so I'd assume a Pentium or Pentium II is kinda what you'd be looking at needing to use it on original hardware. It's a lot easier nowadays to just use DOSBox which seems to run it flawlessly (in the sense there's no obvious issues).
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Strategy guide's updated. You all should seriously consider playing this if you haven't yet, cause the game's fantastic.

I need to make some edits to organize the information better and revise individual stage strategies, but I can safely say the info in it is pretty comprehensive (as a result of me playing this a tad obsessively recently...). I haven't found any additional 1UP items but I may may a list of where all the hidden items are like valuable ice cream cones (there's 1 in stage 7 that's a pain to get at the bottom of a shaft, it's like right at the left of a wall).

Current best is now the end of loop 8, with 14 million: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZkYVD2nyRs

If you're not into infinite loop games the game's still perfectly fun, just play a loop or two and call it quits.
gypsie

Post by gypsie »

Hello everybody,

I'm playing the game in pure Ms-dos (pentium 2).

Very good game but only playable with keyboard.

In the setup menu, i can't calibrate the gamepad ( gravis gamepad). Impossible to calibrate well, tested with 2 joysticks.

With no calibration, during game, the ship can only move up and left, no right or down.

I need some help. Are you playing with a joystick/gamepad ?

Best regards
gypsie

Post by gypsie »

Nobody playing this game?