New shmup: Jamestown

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ChurchOfSolipsism

Re: New shmup: Jamestown

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Look at that ship's fucking laser... it's been a long time since I've seen such fantastic pixel art in a shmup....

edit: yeah I know this not actually in-game but the pixel art is still awesome...
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Hand-drawn graphics in 2010 :shock: :o :D :mrgreen:
If that's your thing, then keep an eye on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Who did the art for this? It's really nice.
subcons

Post by subcons »

dmauro wrote:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Who did the art for this? It's really nice.
There are only three guys on the team, so I'm assuming one of, if not all of them. Could be wrong though. Didn't notice a mention of artwork credit on their site.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Something reminds me of Metal Slug...

Anyways, b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l.! Really, amazing work on the gfx. Here's hoping the game is balanced for some decent and challenging 1p only play - all that talk about 4 player co-op makes me a tad bit skeptical.
Slump

Post by Slump »

ZOM wrote:Something reminds me of Metal Slug...

Anyways, b.e.a.u.t.i.f.u.l.! Really, amazing work on the gfx. Here's hoping the game is balanced for some decent and challenging 1p only play - all that talk about 4 player co-op makes me a tad bit skeptical.
Yeah that was kinda what crossed my mind too. I think from a design perspective 1p only play would almost have to suffer if 4 player co-op is meant to be the name of the game. Then again, with as much work that seems to be going into the graphics hopefully the same is going into all aspects of the game play. Can't wait to see how the game plays out.
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

Pretty impresive.
Althought i don't see the point of 4 players mode in a shmup.
"SUNTORY BOSS is the boss of them all since 1992".
ChurchOfSolipsism

Lunchbox wrote:Pretty impresive.
Althought i don't see the point of 4 players mode in a shmup.
Me neither... the only time when you have enough people at your place to play a four player-game is when you're having a party and everybody's too fucked up to actually play...

edit: it hasn't crossed my mind until now that there's online gaming as well... I'm too old for that modern shit.

dmauro wrote:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:Hand-drawn graphics in 2010 :shock: :o :D :mrgreen:
If that's your thing, then keep an eye on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

Who did the art for this? It's really nice.
I'm not sure I'm following you - are you talking about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pilg ... _the_World
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
TaygetaVendetta

Post by TaygetaVendetta »

I think everyone is drawing Metal Slug comparisons because of the explosions. Look just like the ones from MS.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'm not sure I'm following you - are you talking about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pilg ... _the_World
This
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

When I first saw the title, I misread it as "Jonestown." Made me wonder if the Kool-aid man was going to be the final boss.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

TaygetaVendetta wrote:I think everyone is drawing Metal Slug comparisons because of the explosions. Look just like the ones from MS.
Actually, the way that err... levitating-octopus-turret is drawn reminds me alot more of it than the xplosions.

Oh, and the bullets look like the ones from the MS-aliens.
Ultimate Rat

Post by Ultimate Rat »

For any wondering, the art is all done from scratch by one incredibly talented and hard working man- Mike Ambrogi. His brother, Tim, and their friend Hal do the programming and all of the rest.

I have played the first level of the game and can honestly tell you that it is just so, so incredible. The art all looks so great in-game and there is so much more great stuff to look forward to. I only played single player, but can say that it was lots of pure fun. I have no clue how it plays when you add players, however I'm confident that it will be marvelous.

This is certainly a "blood, sweat, and tears" sort of operation and these guys are all perfectionists, so they wont release it until it's at maximum awesomeness. Final Form Games is pretty damn devoted to making our gaming dreams come true and I'm looking forward getting to play the whole thing (not to mention what they might have in store for us after their first game).
ChurchOfSolipsism

:D

Buuuut... as awesome as they are, graphics alone don't make a game, so could you tell us any details, e.g. the gameplay, its scoring system, old school - new school etc. and when we can expect videos? This looks just so much like sth I've always wanted... I hope they make it brutally difficult... a bit below DOJ's difficulty level would be nice...
TaygetaVendetta wrote:I think everyone is drawing Metal Slug comparisons because of the explosions. Look just like the ones from MS.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'm not sure I'm following you - are you talking about this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Pilg ... _the_World
This
CHeers man, that warmed my heart. As soon as I saw the first scenes I thought to myself yeah, that looks like it could totally have been done by this
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n105 ... ertson.png

(Changed the embedded image into a link because, y'know, giant pixel penis. -Ghegs)

dude. Looks like it will be released on 10th August....
ChurchOfSolipsism

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote: http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n105 ... ertson.png

(Changed the embedded image into a link because, y'know, giant pixel penis. -Ghegs)
Sorry, I usually hang out at places with much less class than this board...
ShmupSamurai

Post by ShmupSamurai »

My jaw just hit the Earth's core... :shock:
Use Shumpman's advice!

"USE A BOMB!"
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Good sign, wearing pixelcorp's limited edition Ikaruga shirt. :wink:

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm »

Bump. Any more news on this?
ChurchOfSolipsism

AmidstStorm wrote:Bump. Any more news on this?
Godammit man... I thought there was news on this, then it's only a post asking for news :lol:
AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:
AmidstStorm wrote:Bump. Any more news on this?
Godammit man... I thought there was news on this, then it's only a post asking for news :lol:
:) lol, apologies.
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

That looks pretty great... I am definitely looking forward to this!
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

I was wondering what happened to this game as I was woried it might of become vapourware, looking at their site its good to see that isnt the case.
I was hoping to catch a glimse of some gameplay footage of which non has been released yet, still those tunes are very good (theyre in he IFG final for audio), I dont think ive ever played a shmup with that style of music and wonder how itll fit to the gameplay. With it been in the same style as hollywood movies like last of the mohawicans Itll probably should fit pritty well, but ill reserve my judgement until I see some gameplay footage or get to play it.

Looking at the really good pixelart I cant understand why 6 months ago I wasnt that impressed over the graphics (maybe it was the coulour pallete as I was playing allot of shmups with vibrant and strong colours back then (ie doujin stgs) where as nowadays I use MAME allot.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I just noticed the little colonial guys are recolored sprites from FF 6. Hope they change that before it's released .. bad boys.
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

This does look aces, even if the world is totally over steampunk by now (please?). Thanks for bumping this!
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

Just signing in on this thread to say this game is amazing. I met the Final Form team at GDC, great guys who really know shmups! I cannot wait to play this game. Amazing graphics!! And beautiful soundtrack!
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
Score Rush Extended [PS4]: viewtopic.php?t=55520
esreveR

Post by esreveR »

DEM GRAPHICS

I really want to play this...
WARNING: TARGET APPROACHING!!
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

I wonder if there's any chance of a demo any time soon. Maybe if we all ask nicely.
Evilmaxwar

Post by Evilmaxwar »

Udderdude wrote:I just noticed the little colonial guys are recolored sprites from FF 6. Hope they change that before it's released .. bad boys.
Haha, i was going to comment on the same thing, looks like Edgar XD
ChurchOfSolipsism

DocHauser wrote:I wonder if there's any chance of a demo any time soon. Maybe if we all ask nicely.
I'm with you on this, doc.
Snake

Post by Snake »

I've been following this closely since July. These guys don't update much, tweet often, or do any of that mess. Hopefully because they are coding like mad.

The OP mentioned knowing the guys, and somebody else talked to them at a conference, so does anybody know what the story is on platforms? XBL? PSN? PC?

I don't care if it's freeware or not, I'll happily pay for this one.
ryosnk

Post by ryosnk »

This looks good!
Save some money boards. Great deals.
http://savesomemoney.proboards101.com/index.cgi
Snake

Post by Snake »

Hey hey! Got my question answered by Final Form itself, in the form of a new website (with gameplay footage):

http://www.jamestowngame.com/