How does Chaos Field work?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
nitrifikation

How does Chaos Field work?

Post by nitrifikation »

I've been given the task of reviewing this just because "it'll be cool", and I'm fine with that. But I was also fine with having this and ignoring this, because I've always had a hard time understanding exactly how it works. That won't stand for a review, though, so I've decided to dedicate today to figuring out how it works before I pass judgment on it.

So far, I've read Rando's review and figured some stuff out by myself, but I'm still at a loss with certain things.

What's the real key to scoring? After reading the review, I tried going for as much "chaining", as it were, as possible, but even when I thought I did fairly decently for a first go, I scored so much worse than when I just play "normally". For the record, I usually try playing with Ifumi, and use nothing but the regular shot and sword. With some milking, I get what I feel is a pretty ok score of 5.5m or so for the first stage. But when I switched over to Hal and tried to "chain", I got rotten scores like 1.2m even though I, like I said, thought I was playing competently for someone who's just starting out.

And I don't get it. 1.2m->5.5m is a pretty steep climb. Usually, when you start to learn how a scoring system works, your score will increase subtly if not dramatically. Here, I experienced a dramatic drop in score instead.

That's just one thing that leaves me stumped as far as scoring goes. Pretty much everything has me confused, so if someone who's figured it out would care to explain all of the basics that'd be much appreciated. Thanks.
nitrifikation

Post by nitrifikation »

Ah, I see I was way off on the score now. And I tried to use Ifumi's shield as much as possible and racked up 1100 hits total, before dying (I was messing up a lot), and a higher score of 5m for the first stage. I misremembered or something and the real score I get for not using anything but shots was about 3m.

But that raises another question.. What's a good way to get back some of those meta fill-ups, or whatever, if the best way to score is to be in chaos field and use a lot of shields (if that is the best way, that is)?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I think that destroyed stuff gives up more meta refills in Order Field, so if you need to fill the meter back up you'll probably want to switch to that for a bit.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

The key to scoring in that game is killing the bosses while having a chain going and carrying the chains over to each boss. In the first stage, I use Ifumi's spinning shield through the first two bosses and wind up with a combo between 700 and 900, then switch to Chaos field for the third boss and use the lock on for the thick bullet sprays that come from either side and kill the boss. You can clear 13 million on the first stage if you kill the final boss witha high enough combo.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

I'm a little confused though as to what defines a "chain" in Chaos Field. Anyone clarify?

Ahh... reading the review a little more carefully. The two "specials" start the combo. So it makes sense then to kill a boss with one of the combos, as to gain the multiplier. Do combos carry over from one to another or are they separate events?

Thanks,

Bill
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

the2bears wrote:I'm a little confused though as to what defines a "chain" in Chaos Field. Anyone clarify?

Ahh... reading the review a little more carefully. The two "specials" start the combo. So it makes sense then to kill a boss with one of the combos, as to gain the multiplier. Do combos carry over from one to another or are they separate events?

Thanks,

Bill
Combos carry over from boss to boss. Combos are just the number of shots you hit with your special. When you hit one, it triggers a timer (the bar in the upper right under your combo) and as long as you hit another bullet before it runs out, the combo continues. The higher the combo is when you kill a boss, the higher your score goes.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

I finally get it. Thanks!

Bill