SNK presents King of Fighters...SkyStage?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
TodayIsForgotten

Re: SNK presents King of Fighters...SkyStage?

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

^^ if you use more than one attack you will not get a text-based pop-up. Only use athena's lv 3. or only fire.
PsychoGun
Banned User

Post by PsychoGun »

originalz wrote:For the 50 gold, does it have to all be without taking damage? I can get over 50 no problem on a normal run, maybe I can do it just by using Athena's shield but bloody hell does it seem annoying, since it'll make for some tough times while the power meter recharges.
don't get it, don't get any other color medals till you get 50. and it has to be from specials, so just spam with athena level 3.

the easiest way I did it was to play stage 3 in easy difficulty. just level 3 the first few waves of enemies and that should do it.
Daigohji

Post by Daigohji »

I've been pleasantly surprised by this game. When I first heard about it I was expecting a tedious mess, but it's turned out out well.
originalz

Post by originalz »

PsychoGun wrote:
originalz wrote:For the 50 gold, does it have to all be without taking damage? I can get over 50 no problem on a normal run, maybe I can do it just by using Athena's shield but bloody hell does it seem annoying, since it'll make for some tough times while the power meter recharges.
don't get it, don't get any other color medals till you get 50. and it has to be from specials, so just spam with athena level 3.

the easiest way I did it was to play stage 3 in easy difficulty. just level 3 the first few waves of enemies and that should do it.
Oh, it'll pop up once you get the 50? You don't have to finish the stage? That's no problem then...
PsychoGun
Banned User

Post by PsychoGun »

originalz wrote:
PsychoGun wrote:

Oh, it'll pop up once you get the 50? You don't have to finish the stage? That's no problem then...
yep, if it doesn't pop right away you won't get it.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I picked this up today and am enjoying it so far. If anything, it's nice having another 360 shmup to TATE. :)
nash87

Post by nash87 »

PsychoGun wrote:I've had moments where I thought I was getting into this game, but no.

Final Verdict: this is the shittiest shmup ever made.

I'm fucking done. I'd rather spend my time on something else.
yet you keep playing it and posting about it. "are you okay?!" :roll:

it's a shame that the xbla version doesn't get all the extra stuff that the psp got. this is one of the few games i'd actually be willing to pay for the dlc. there's still a chance of it becoming available later, hopefully free.

i wish terry wasn't bottom tier like he is in cvs2. at least burn knuckling and buster wolfing enemies will never stop giving me sweet satisfaction
GaijinPunch wrote:Someone PM me when we have to play w/ the stick up our asses.
"shrimps in my eyes! I cannot see!"
XBLA: h8erfisternator
PsychoGun
Banned User

Post by PsychoGun »

nash87 wrote:
PsychoGun wrote:I've had moments where I thought I was getting into this game, but no.

Final Verdict: this is the shittiest shmup ever made.

I'm fucking done. I'd rather spend my time on something else.
yet you keep playing it and posting about it. "are you okay?!" :roll:

it's a shame that the xbla version doesn't get all the extra stuff that the psp got. this is one of the few games i'd actually be willing to pay for the dlc. there's still a chance of it becoming available later, hopefully free.

i wish terry wasn't bottom tier like he is in cvs2. at least burn knuckling and buster wolfing enemies will never stop giving me sweet satisfaction
Yep I do have a fixation with shitty games sometimes, It's hard to walk away.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

As much as some people dissing this game, I too kind of like it, at $10, it isn't that bad, although its either Raiden or Cave game type of difficulty by the time you reach st. 2+ on either Normal or Hard (plus taunting), even so, its gonna be another shump for me to hold on to until new shumps come out on XBLA, or play other shumps that I've have though to keep me busy until then. And yes, I too would like to see a SkyStage Hi-Score thread.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

This game played on a 360 is one of the examples of why handheld ports will never feel the same as the big screen experience.

The game just looks great and plays great.
People should complain less and raise their hands to shmup heaven for having real shooters coming out at this rate these days.
antares

Post by antares »

Is it clear yet what makes the intruding boss in stage 3 appear?
Because I get to him every time and this ruins my runs completely. 5 out of 10 times I get killed by him and the other 5 times I get to stage 4 on my last life and without bombs :x
WTB: Arkanoid II Revenge Of Doh PCB, Outzone PCB, Fixeight PCB
PsychoGun
Banned User

Post by PsychoGun »

antares wrote:Is it clear yet what makes the intruding boss in stage 3 appear?
Because I get to him every time and this ruins my runs completely. 5 out of 10 times I get killed by him and the other 5 times I get to stage 4 on my last life and without bombs :x
try dying once, he appears if you don't die and get all the invitations I think.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

Just downloaded the demo. First thoughts: what the fuck is this shit.
PsychoGun
Banned User

Post by PsychoGun »

I finally got a TATE setup and KOF skystage looks fantastic rotated. Too bad the game still teeters on sucking IMO. It is slightly funner to play with the bigger aspect ratio, though.

They could have done wonders for the gameplay by giving you extra lives (in addition to your life bar) and true extends. Since the deaths are so cheap.

Or they could have just made the gameplay better.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Am I the only one who thinks this game is hard. The medals are so distracting to me and you dont go invincible while you bomb. I am not very good at shmups to begin with but I think its tough as nails. Maybe I should try more characters out...
clp

Post by clp »

can an actual decent player review this please? i havent played this yet but cant help feeling like all the moaners are just a bit skill redundant and are falling to that old " this game is to hard for me so its a shit game " syndrome. Kollision seems to rate this game and hes a great player so maybe the more experienced are picking up on things the newbs are not?
PsychoGun
Banned User

Post by PsychoGun »

2dvertical wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this game is hard. The medals are so distracting to me and you dont go invincible while you bomb. I am not very good at shmups to begin with but I think its tough as nails. Maybe I should try more characters out...
You're not the only one. It's an annoying game to play.

Deaths are cheap, the medals obscure bullets, and there are no "real" extends.

I don't think the game is so much "hard," but the annoying aspects of the play system make it harder than it should be.

Nothing about this game makes me want to keep playing it, I tried to beat the shittyness, but I gave up that battle.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

clp wrote:can an actual decent player review this please? i havent played this yet but cant help feeling like all the moaners are just a bit skill redundant and are falling to that old " this game is to hard for me so its a shit game " syndrome. Kollision seems to rate this game and hes a great player so maybe the more experienced are picking up on things the newbs are not?

Never said it was a bad game its just hard. And its only ten bucks, just freakin buy it.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

clp wrote:can an actual decent player review this please? i havent played this yet but cant help feeling like all the moaners are just a bit skill redundant and are falling to that old " this game is to hard for me so its a shit game " syndrome. Kollision seems to rate this game and hes a great player so maybe the more experienced are picking up on things the newbs are not?
Because average player views don't count?

Jeez. :roll:
greg

Post by greg »

I ordered the PSP Neo Geo Heroes on Amazon.jp for an awesome price for myself and a friend of mine, which more than made up for the lousy exchange rate. I had it shipped to my J-Mommy and I waited for her to include them when she sends her usual care packages to my wife.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I played the game at Hey and I liked it, but didn't spend much time on it. I just got my PSP game from the mail last night and I like the game. It has KOF Skystage just like the arcade, but the Neo Geo Heroes game is an entirely different game. I'd say it's more like a sequel than anything, with way more stages and a Darius-style decision branching after each level. I think it's the neeters. I don't know why people are hating on the game so much. Yeah, it's not the best shmup ever, but it's still fun. I'm finally able to get the hang of Athena's teleport. I played the game a little bit last night and all the way on the train to work this morning. I haven't played all of the characters yet, but I like how all the characters have different abilities (one chick spins and sends bullets back into baddies a la Giga Wing even). I don't understand why Marco's fire rate turns to a pea shooter after holding the fire button for too long. Other characters aren't like that. Kula's snowman ("yuki daruma") drop was kinda dumb.

I don't know why somebody said a few months ago that PSP is not known for its shmups. It as a lot more than the DS does for sure. Xexex is great fun, and the PSP even has Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

clp wrote:Kollision seems to rate this game and hes a great player so maybe the more experienced are picking up on things the newbs are not?
Tks for the "great" there, I don't think I deserve it though...

First of all, graphics here are quite decent for such a cheap game, and I really liked the music (I was very upset for not getting the soundtrack with my PSP copy from play-asia as some fellow shmuppers did).

Even with some of the shortcomings mentioned in this thread, the game gets pretty fun when played for score. Trying to devise a good strategy to keep the chain going for the whole stage is a valid motivating factor, at least for me. I didn't play it long enough, but when I did I was able to chain the whole 1st stage all the time and was just getting the complete strategy for the 2nd stage. Distracting items, bullet visibility issues, few characters available, etc, they're all valid complaints, but I could name lots of other loved shmups that have these same issues.

The game is also pretty hard, given the lack of extends and the risk-reward factor in trying to sustain the chain amidst bullet chaos.

On a personal note, I was never fond of KoF fighting games, but I did enjoy Fatal Fury in the past, and having Terry and Mai in a shooter is big plus for nostalgia's sake. Most probably this also has an influence in why I like KoF Sky Stage. Unfortunately, for me the only good character to play with is Kyo Kusanagi, due to his level 1 special move. Playing with the others makes the game even more difficult...
greg

Post by greg »

OK, so when you activate taunt mode, you increase the amount of Mega tokens that are dropped and your score goes up, however you cannot use your special attacks. That took some getting used to, but oh well. What I don't like is if you get hit once, you lose all of your tokens and they aren't counted at the end of the stage. That reminds me of Metal Slug, in which if you die, all the POWs you've freed aren't counted. I never liked that, especially considering how difficult Metal Slug games are.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

As a funny note to our constant discussion of how no one gives a shit about shmups, take a look at the relative sales figures for downloadable games purchased on Xbox Live:

http://www.trueachievements.com/n2325/x ... ctober.htm

KOF Sky Stage, which had already been out for about a month when these stats were gathered is already being trumped by games that came out this week and also being beat hundreds of times over in relative sales by other games that came out at the same time as Sky Stage.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

that's.... depressing :cry:
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Heads-up! According to this official blog, KOF skystage just came out on european PSN stores. for PSP of course.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/12/ ... mber-2010/

It's price is £15.99/€19.99
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

I've picked this up due to the Xbox Live Deal of the Week.

I haven't exactly figured things out yet, and I still have trouble on some stuff on the second stage. My farthest at the moment is 1-3.

I have gotten almost all the achievements from doing the settings lives/bombs to 5 on Practice Mode, but I have no idea how to get a 300 chain so I can 200/200 this. I couldn't seem to find a video for the 300 chain achievement on Youtube.

I'm not really sure which character I like yet. I'm not sure whether proximity or chaining would be best to go for when combined with specials. obviously optimally you'd want to do both, but I tend to screw so much up. I haven't really seen anything I'd call too cheap yet, though I obviously suck at a lot of stuff.

The patterns do get pretty insane at times, though I have mainly been using Athena so far, so maybe that could be a problem, or maybe not. And the bosses feel like stuff out of Psikyo games which could be a positive or a negative depending how you view those. In fact, the general reward for aggressive play and the high memo requirement from Psikyo as well as high speed, does seem to be applied here too. Though I generally don't care for those games.

Still, I'm having some fun with it at the moment, and I'll at least try to figure stuff out before judging the game in either way.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yep, KOF:SS pretty much plays overboard to a Raiden kind of game (from Moss, no doubt), oh, and Chaos Phoenixma, if you're reading this, here's something that will help you quick if you've already got it, lol.

Kula + Practice difficulty + Stage 5 = 300 Combo achievement.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Mero

Post by Mero »

I don't want your freedom,
I don't want to play around,
I don't want nobody baby,
Part time love just brings me down.
I don't want your freedom,
Girl, all I want right now is you.
Last edited by Mero on Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
psoslayer

Post by psoslayer »

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
KAI

Post by KAI »

I've heard this game is almost dumped.