Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra (XBox 360)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
emphatic

Re: Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra (XBox 360)

Post by emphatic »

moozooh wrote:It's probably the same as with Progear, where setting the screen to be wider than 4:3 improves the proportions of bullets (first and foremost) and most in-game graphics, but makes for a rather uncomfortable difference between vertical and horizontal movement speed.
Keep in mind that these games are made for arcade monitors originally where you can adjust the height width with analogue pots. Putting the screen in 5:4 is native res or at least closer to it = less scaling blur. I'm gonna try to see if I notice any speed difference on the x/y axises while playing. I watched a replay after changing the setting and it looked "normal" enough. :)

I have also made this change (aspect 5:4) on my own setup now (360 @ 480p-> UVC -> NANAO MS9) and it looks lots more crisp than before.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
HamidoOs

Post by HamidoOs »

What does the limited edition of the game include? I read somewhere that it includes the original soundtrack, but I'm curious about the DOJ art in the bundle!
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-br- ... -3qfx.html
(Sorry if this has been answered before. I couldn't find the info)
---------------
Dead inside.
---------------
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

The DOJ art is from the soundtrack packaging. It includes discs for both the arranged Ketsui and DOJ soundtracks.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

emphatic wrote:
moozooh wrote:It's probably the same as with Progear, where setting the screen to be wider than 4:3 improves the proportions of bullets (first and foremost) and most in-game graphics, but makes for a rather uncomfortable difference between vertical and horizontal movement speed.
Keep in mind that these games are made for arcade monitors originally where you can adjust the height width with analogue pots. Putting the screen in 5:4 is native res or at least closer to it = less scaling blur. I'm gonna try to see if I notice any speed difference on the x/y axises while playing. I watched a replay after changing the setting and it looked "normal" enough. :)

I have also made this change (aspect 5:4) on my own setup now (360 @ 480p-> UVC -> NANAO MS9) and it looks lots more crisp than before.
Wouldn't 4:3 (1.33:1) be closer to native resolution than 5:4 (1.25:1)? According to this post http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 04#p399504 the PGM boards have a 2:1 pixel ratio.

I'm guessing that the 5:4 option might be in there for those who have a 1280x1024 monitor.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

For the record, I tried playing in 5:4 and it did feel unnatural.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

The only filter that works well for me is Bicubic. The other ones have jittery backgrounds. This is on a 720p LCD and SD(through component)CRT.

Is there something i'm doing wrong, or is this just how it is? Seems odd that it would only have one filter that didn't have shaky backgrounds. Raiden Fighters Aces had good stable filters.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

evil_ash_xero wrote:The only filter that works well for me is Bicubic. The other ones have jittery backgrounds. This is on a 720p LCD and SD(through component)CRT.

Is there something i'm doing wrong, or is this just how it is? Seems odd that it would only have one filter that didn't have shaky backgrounds. Raiden Fighters Aces had good stable filters.
That "wobble" is pretty annoying. I don't really notice it though during play. I wonder if this game will get a patch sometime in the future. Perhaps they will remove the temporary invincibility at the beginning of stages 2-5 like it is when playing the PCB.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I find that Bicubic is the best looking filter on a CRT via RGB scart anyway (especially if you've altered the overscan slightly).
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

bcass wrote:I find that Bicubic is the best looking filter on a CRT via RGB scart anyway (especially if you've altered the overscan slightly).
Yeah, it's a good filter. I just thought it was kinda fucked that the other ones are kind of on the useless side.
gray117

Post by gray117 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
bcass wrote:I find that Bicubic is the best looking filter on a CRT via RGB scart anyway (especially if you've altered the overscan slightly).
Yeah, it's a good filter. I just thought it was kinda fucked that the other ones are kind of on the useless side.
Depends on the setup - plus sometimes its good to include the option just so people know they've got the one that works the best for them :)
bcass

Post by bcass »

Yeah, I didn't notice wobble in all modes until I altered the overscan.
alastair jack

Post by alastair jack »

This game is fun.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

lol way to bump an old thread without contributing anything of interest
roker

Post by roker »

Jockel wrote:lol way to bump an old thread without contributing anything of interest
lol

it was 10 days between his post and the last post
"something witty."
by someone witty
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

roker wrote:
Jockel wrote:lol way to bump an old thread without contributing anything of interest
lol

it was 10 days between his post and the last post
not first page = OLD :mrgreen:
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Haha- at this point I am probably dreaming.

But I want that DOJ patch- but I'd love a scanline/display options patch for Ketsui while we're at it. Great game, but the darn scaling is all kinds of goofy in that one :P
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Dale

Post by Dale »

alastair jack wrote:This game is fun.
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

4 4 4

3 3 3
1 1111
lol
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Is there any way to play the game, even if you die or whatever, and see the last boss "Doom"?

In DOJ BL EX, you could just choose "1 Loop" and you'd get to fight the true last boss.

I see there is a loop selection in the EX options, and a "continue at doom" choice also. I have turned on the "continue at doom" to on, and turned the game on one loop. I stage selected 5, and credit fed my way through the stage, and after I fought the regular last boss, I just zoomed off the screen, and it game me a "Game Over".

Is there any way to see this guy, without doing it legit?
Lusche

Post by Lusche »

select in the extra option 'ura loop'
complete the first loop and you will enter the 'ura loop' after it even if you are uterly shitty and have to credit feed every 2sek ... credit feed the 'ura loop' and doom appear
HamidoOs

Post by HamidoOs »

I love the way that stage 4's mid-boss DANCES to the particular music of those moments 8)
---------------
Dead inside.
---------------
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Anyone else here running this game through an Emotia to a cab/RGB monitor? I can't seem to find a good setting for it that doesn't have some weird look to it. With ESPII and Futari, I got it pretty much pixel-perfect, but this always seems to look awkward (things like some text kind of "bleeding over" or some edges not quite lining up with the scanlines) somehow. It looks alright, but I'd like to get it as "perfect" as possible.
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

You can check the thread I made a while ago. Is in Spanish but the settings I use for the game, the emotia and the XRGB-3 are easy to understand. Just scroll down to the section called "DIFERENTES MODOS DE VISUALIZACION". You can also check a sequence of images with different setups and let me tell you how big of a difference the game looks and plays with scanlines. Hope it helps.
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Animaitor wrote:You can check the thread I made a while ago. Is in Spanish but the settings I use for the game, the emotia and the XRGB-3 are easy to understand. Just scroll down to the section called "DIFERENTES MODOS DE VISUALIZACION". You can also check a sequence of images with different setups and let me tell you how big of a difference the game looks and plays with scanlines. Hope it helps.
Thanks, tried those settings, and it does look better, but still not quite "pixel perfect", but getting that out of this is probably a pipe dream anyway. At least the scaling effect is gone.

Anyway, 4th stage is still raping me hard in this :roll: Even if I manage to no miss through Stage 3, I always bite it on Stage 4.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

drunkninja24 wrote:
Animaitor wrote:You can check the thread I made a while ago. Is in Spanish but the settings I use for the game, the emotia and the XRGB-3 are easy to understand. Just scroll down to the section called "DIFERENTES MODOS DE VISUALIZACION". You can also check a sequence of images with different setups and let me tell you how big of a difference the game looks and plays with scanlines. Hope it helps.
Thanks, tried those settings, and it does look better, but still not quite "pixel perfect", but getting that out of this is probably a pipe dream anyway. At least the scaling effect is gone.

Anyway, 4th stage is still raping me hard in this :roll: Even if I manage to no miss through Stage 3, I always bite it on Stage 4.
As far as I know, it's not possible to get a pixel perfect output with the 360 port. Since the pixel ratio of the original hardware is 2:1, there is always going to be some scaling/filtering going on since the 360 can't output the original resolution and only outputs interlaced 480i or discrete resolutions 480p, 720p, etc.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

It looks sharper if you use the 5:4 ratio instead of the 4:3 in the video settings. At least in Ketsui. Let's hope the "smoothing off" setting will actually work when we get a patch.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

emphatic wrote:It looks sharper if you use the 5:4 ratio instead of the 4:3 in the video settings. At least in Ketsui. Let's hope the "smoothing off" setting will actually work when we get a patch.
Have they announced a patch for Ketsui?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

jepjepjep wrote:
emphatic wrote:It looks sharper if you use the 5:4 ratio instead of the 4:3 in the video settings. At least in Ketsui. Let's hope the "smoothing off" setting will actually work when we get a patch.
No, sorry if my bad wording made you think so. I'd love a patch that made it run the same speed as the PCB though, that would be awesome. The 5:4 AR looks much better IMHO and is also available for Futari. Not so sure about ESPGALUDA II. It's like the TATE vs. TATE HOSEI in the Arika PS2 ports.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

emphatic wrote:
jepjepjep wrote:
No, sorry if my bad wording made you think so. I'd love a patch that made it run the same speed as the PCB though, that would be awesome. The 5:4 AR looks much better IMHO and is also available for Futari. Not so sure about ESPGALUDA II. It's like the TATE vs. TATE HOSEI in the Arika PS2 ports.
Both Futari and Galuda II I got looking crisp and clear in 240p on my Astro with a slight centering adjustment on the display.

Anyway, been plugging away at the game again, finally am able to get to Stage 5, but I'm still dying in stupid places and not leaving myself with much by the time I get there. I did break my old 52mil top score with 53mil though :mrgreen:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

drunkninja24 wrote:Anyway, been plugging away at the game again, finally am able to get to Stage 5, but I'm still dying in stupid places and not leaving myself with much by the time I get there. I did break my old 52mil top score with 53mil though :mrgreen:
Nice one. I once played Ketsui for 'round 10 hours straight on a shmupmeet and raised my high score with 1 lousy million as well. 8)