First Post - Game Maker for Shmup Creation

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
cdawg4949

First Post - Game Maker for Shmup Creation

Post by cdawg4949 »

Hey Guys,
Been a long time reader of these boards and decided to finally take the leap into registering for an account. After playing a good 60 hours of Mars Matrix, I realized just how fun shmups can be and got hooked after shuffling through this forum for almost a year now.

Anyhow, I read in the recent Temp forum about people using Game Maker for shmup creating. I have since almost finished my first level of my first shmup. Is this program recommended for creating shmups? Are there alternatives? I know absolutely no programing so it seems to be working nicely for me. I'm also making all my sprites in photoshop which is quickly becoming a chore.

Also, is there a simple program for creating midi files, entirely within the computer? Anywhere I could try out some games made in GameMaker so I can get some ideas? Any help would be great.

I should have a really rough version of the first level in the next few days here so if you guys are willing to check it out and give me some feedback, that would be awesome.

-CODY-
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I have coded a shmup called "Space Disorder" entirely in Gamemaker. I consider it to be a pretty good game, and most people who played it also liked it.

I am now coding another shmup on it.

So.. I personally think GM it's a pretty good tool for making shmups. Actually, I'd say it's an excellent tool for it. It's powerful, it's easy to use, and it makes game making a lot fast.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

While working on my game Red Griffin (currently a one stage demo), I've had quite a number of bullets flitting over the screen using Game Maker 6- that's in the current not yet released demo which currently has 4 difficulty settings. I'm waiting to get stage 2 done before releasing the 2nd Demo.

GM6 (the current version) is considerably faster than the previous GM5.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

GM6 is FASTER?

I read in the oficial site that GM6 had lots of new stuff (All the stuff is REALLY interesting), but the drawback of it is that the games made with it would , in general, ask for faster systems.

Because when GM6 was released when I still only had my old P233 , I didn't get it.

The game I am doing now is being done in GM5...

My next project after it, I'll probably do it in GM6...
PerishedFraud ឵឵ ឵឵

Re:

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ ឵឵ »

Shatterhand wrote:GM6 is FASTER?

I read in the oficial site that GM6 had lots of new stuff (All the stuff is REALLY interesting), but the drawback of it is that the games made with it would , in general, ask for faster systems.

Because when GM6 was released when I still only had my old P233 , I didn't get it.

The game I am doing now is being done in GM5...

My next project after it, I'll probably do it in GM6...
You won't believe this, but GMS2 is out now and it's even BETTER than GM6!
Play to win. Win for fun. Can you do the can can?