Otomedius PC

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ZOM

Re: Otomedius PC

Post by ZOM »

Yah, considering what's inside that thing is huge. heh.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

TrevHead (TVR) wrote:its been awhile since i went to an arcade but those cabs in that picture are bloody massive for a 1p game.
I have seen these cabinets in Tokyo last summer and the marquee it's the only massive thing in them(about 30%~40% of it's height). I think it is equipped with a 21" touch monitor and the cabinet it's also used for Winning eleven arcade version, in which you can choose between the regular CPO controls or a PSX2 pad.

Maybe Otomedius and Winning Eleven also use the same pc based hardware?

A bit offtopic: Although there is not so much love for this game and many people dislike it, I had a great time with it and I love all the game details: music, graphics, voices, the Tokyo tower stage...

BTW. 360's gorgeus mode is better than the original arcade, at least in my opinion.
Working in the japanese language achievement
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Evrain wrote:I guess then it's on HDD, as there is no dongle or anything on the main unit.
I wish I could remember where I saw this, but I'm quite sure I saw it reported that there's a CompactFlash card and a "secure" USB flash drive involved. My guess would be that the OS is on the CF card (CompactFlash protocol is essentially ATA, so it's cheap/easy to adapt one into an HDD replacement) and the game itself is loaded from the USB drive after boot.
Evrain

Post by Evrain »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
Evrain wrote:I guess then it's on HDD, as there is no dongle or anything on the main unit.
I wish I could remember where I saw this, but I'm quite sure I saw it reported that there's a CompactFlash card and a "secure" USB flash drive involved. My guess would be that the OS is on the CF card (CompactFlash protocol is essentially ATA, so it's cheap/easy to adapt one into an HDD replacement) and the game itself is loaded from the USB drive after boot.
It would seem slightly unpractical to separate the OS from the main unit... perhaps the game is on the CF and the dongle provides the encryption seed and other security checks? If it's XPe we're talking about, it's not stored in a removable media (see Type X and BemaniPC), if you track down the source tell me, I'm curious :)
However, if they made the same mistakes as Taito, I sense impending doom once they actually make again a game that doesn't suck.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Evrain wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:
It would seem slightly unpractical to separate the OS from the main unit... perhaps the game is on the CF and the dongle provides the encryption seed and other security checks? If it's XPe we're talking about, it's not stored in a removable media
CompactFlash isn't necessarily any more removable than anything else. There are passive adapters that will plug one straight into an ATA header, where it won't act much different than a hard drive.
Afterbirth

Post by Afterbirth »

I've got it working on my PC - 4chan has links but i've forgotten where.

You have to install it to drive F (or make a virtual drive using MagicISO's magic disk or something akin to that) so...

f:\GGG

Then within the bin folder run the following..

bms_GGG.exe and whilst thats open (its only a box) you run Otomedius.exe
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Otomedius, running on a "PC", running on a Macbook Pro.
http://twitpic.com/57gmjz
Buttons need configuring - recognises the Saturn-style USB gamepad for Shot, Power Select and D-Burst Attack, but the button layout is messed up, and directions don't seem to be working.
Trackpad works quite nicely for aiming the D-Bursts, however, lol.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

OK time for me to clear some of this up.

Otomedius runs on the eAmusement (platform) in addition to the network. That cabinet is called the eAmusement cabinet, it is a standard cabinet that several games fit into, it has different marquee options and all the side art, control panel, monitor shroud and what not is swappable. All the lights in the cabinet are multicolor and are controlled by the hardware, so they always fit the game.

The Model of the PC that Otomedius runs on as far as I can tell is called the Konami A3. No idea why. The specs are REALLY low (I own one) like celeron P4 socket 478, 512 meg and a video card that can't run Source Engine games.

The hardware up until recently was not removable from the cabinet, and was meant to stay with the cabinet, when switching games you simply change the artwork and install the new game via the CDROM drive. It was all very zen.

Compact flash and USB aren't involved for data storage or security. eAmusement cabinets come with 40gb hard disks, ATA100.

That is a hack of Otomedius AC running on PCs, that hack is based on the restore disc software and is VERY old, Otomedius Gorgeous after full patching has the last release of Otomedius AC.

You CAN play this game without eAmusement, however, it is the most pointless thing in the world, as you cannot save your unlocks. thus taking the entire point of playing Otomedius away from playing Otomedius.

while eAmuse emulators exist for the music games, nobody has coded one for Otomedius so the game remains unsupported. I'm sure a big part of that is how old the only cracked copy of the game is (This build only has 3 of the 6 characters and I'm pretty sure that Versus Mission doesn't work)

You *DON'T* have to install it to F:\, but F:\ is the NVRAM location.
TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

lgb wrote:
TrevHead (TVR) wrote:i cant see any commercial shmup developers really supporting the pc due to piracy
you do realize that piracy isn't nearly as big of a deal as it's made out to be
I was about to say this. More people pirate on consoles than on PCs. Just because its easy to do, doesn't mean everyone knows how to do it. You'd be surprised how many people find bit torrent hard. Let alone usenet or irc.

*edit wow this is an old thread. Nevermind.
Afterbirth

Post by Afterbirth »

Thanks for clearing that up dieKatze88.

I only wanted to see it as i dont' get the chance to hit arcades in the UK anymore.
Incidentally you can run it via Pinnacle Game profiler to get is working with a 360 pad. Just ensure you use the main.exe as the starting proggie.
TrevHead (TVR)

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

TodayIsForgotten wrote:
lgb wrote:
TrevHead (TVR) wrote:i cant see any commercial shmup developers really supporting the pc due to piracy
you do realize that piracy isn't nearly as big of a deal as it's made out to be
I was about to say this. More people pirate on consoles than on PCs. Just because its easy to do, doesn't mean everyone knows how to do it. You'd be surprised how many people find bit torrent hard. Let alone usenet or irc.

*edit wow this is an old thread. Nevermind.
Hehe I didnt notice it was a old thread until I saw my own posts. But you are correct about many PC / console users been lazy or just not tech savey to bother with pirating themselves, many would rather just pay someother guy to do all the work.

There is quite a number of friends and acquaintances that have got themselves a PC but have no intrest in learning to use it, even for the most basic of tasks including virus security. Its common that im asked to help them fix their PC or get something set up on it. I wouldnt mind if they activly took an intrest in what I was doing so they could fix the problem themselves next time it happens. Generally nowadays if they arnt prepared to learn then I cant be bothered helping them. I just tell them to google the problem, its only basic stuff anyway.
TrevHead wrote:its been awhile since i went to an arcade but those cabs in that picture are bloody massive for a 1p game
God know why I thought that, since the screens look an average size to me atm. Maybe I was looking at the first photo where the screen looks bigger :?
Videogamer555

Post by Videogamer555 »

Can somebody here explain just how this Otomedius emulator works? I know it is based on the arcade version of the game, but it doesn't use any emulator I've ever heard of. It isn't using either MAME or Kawaks. It's using something called GGG. Specifically the exe file is called bms_GGG.exe. I have no idea how this file works to emulate the arcade system. Is it a custom-made emulator created with the specific intent of maging Otomedius playable? I notice though that Otomedius has its own EXE file called Otomedius.exe. So why is the GGG emulator needed? I can't find any information on GGG at all on the net. Google searches for "bms_GGG" all link to pages about the PC dump of the Otomedius game. Can somebody here shed some light on how this is supposed to work?
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

A good place to remark that Otomedius has appeared in MAME version 0.185.
About 2.7 GB of CHD archive, marked as not working, actually not working (the driver is just a placeholder), and too slow even if it worked.
dflff

Post by dflff »

Afterbirth wrote:I've got it working on my PC - 4chan has links but i've forgotten where.

You have to install it to drive F (or make a virtual drive using MagicISO's magic disk or something akin to that) so...

f:\GGG

Then within the bin folder run the following..

bms_GGG.exe and whilst thats open (its only a box) you run Otomedius.exe

thanks a lot for this post. It has given me hope to make it work on my pc.

encountered the error.

バックアップファイルエラー
5-2502-0003
バックアップファイルを初期化しました
TEST BUTTON = TEST MODE

Backup File Error
5-2502-0003
Initializing the Backup File
TEST BUTTON = TEST MODE

-- but I can go to the menu using F6. Just trying to figure things out. :)
dflff

Post by dflff »

by the gods! after some errors. I finally got the game to work.

Tron, Madoka, and Tita are my favorite characters. :D