Twinbee Yahho! Deluxe Pack

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
LoneSage

Twinbee Yahho! Deluxe Pack

Post by LoneSage »

Is that the correct title? Can't remember if it's 2 h's or 2 o's.

Anyways, I'm going to get this collection in a coupla days (got it for $20 shipped; that's the going price, right?) and I was wondering what Twinbee games are included. I've never really played a Twinbee game (I did play the first FC Twinbee on some Hong Kong machine that had like 40 FC/NES titles once but don't remember much of it), so I'd just like to know what I'll be expecting.

Any difs between the Saturn and PS1 version? I'm getting the Saturn version.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I have the PSX Detana Twinbee Yahho Dexlue Pack. I'm a bit irritated that the Xenocide files still have misleading info. The only games in the package are Detana Twinbee and Twinbee Yahho. No other Twinbee games are in it. From what I heard, the PSX and Saturn versions are pretty much the same.

Both Detana and Yahho are arcade ports. There is no Tate for either game, but Detana has a decent looking console style full screen mode and looks good in Arcade mode too. Yahoo only has the arcade mode, which looks good, though it's a slight bit small, but not too small or pixlated looking, though. I didn't notice too much slowdown in either game, though Yahho has a slight amount of minor slowdown. Nothing that interferes with gameplay, though.

IMO, Detana Twinbee is an excellent game. It was the first game in the Twinbee series with the anime style characters and that style has stuck with the next two games in the series, Pop 'n Twinbee (not in this pack) and Twinbee Yahho. It introduced the charge shot to the Twin Bee series, though it isn't used in Pop 'n Twinbee.

The gameplay is similar to the NES and Arcade Twinbee where enemies fly in groups. You get extra points for destroying a group of enemies like the arcade version. You attack both ground and air enemeis like Xevious.

As usual, you shoot bells to make them change colors. Gray is for double shot, yellow is for points, blue is for speed up, Green is for shadow (three other twinbees following you and shooting with you), Purple is for three followers that don't shoot (not sure exactly what this does), and the black bell is the evil bell that slows your ship down and probably removes power ups too.

Just like the NES Twinbee, the ship's arms fall off when they are shot, though you only lose one arm at a time, unlike the NES Twinbee. When both arms are gone, a flying ambulance comes to the rescue. If you touch this ship you get your arms back. However, if you lose your limbs again, you have to die to get them back. Losing both arms prevents the ship from bombing ground objects, though your helpers and the special Winbee power up can still bomb for you when you lose your limbs.

Twinbee Yahho is similar to Twinbee Yahho, but has some new features. It has some stages with windy areas where you have you avoid being blown in to objects of projectiles.

In Twinbee Yahho, you can choose from four different charge beams. One of them is the charge from Detana. The other three beams are a multi bomb that attacks both air and ground objects, a charge that makes a helper appear, and an extremely cool wind up punch. Everything I said about Detana pretty much applies to Yahho too, though the purple bell isn't in it. There is a new pink bell that seems to bring your arms back when you get it.

The best new addition to Yahho is the power ups that can be earned by bombing ground enemies. Unlike the rare power ups in other Twinbee games, these are very frequent. The power ups are things like big bombs (useful for ground enemies), laser guns, missile launchers, and flamethrowers. When you have two ground bombing earned weapons, you can't bomb ground objects (they are held in your hands) unless, of course, you have the big bombs.

Yahho seems to be somewhat faster paced than Detana, but has very similar gameplay with the groups of enemies and the bells. There are no more point bonuses for shooting down groups of enemies, though.

One of the coolest additions to Twinbee Yahho is that the game now has full voice. There are no subtitles, so I couldn't understand any of it, though.

Both games have a slight amount of Japanese text, but the options can be figured out rather quickly. However, much of the story from both games is missed if you have no knowledge of Japanese (like me). The four options of the charge beams in Yahho can be figured out by looking at the examples. If I remember correctly, the top game on the start menu is Yahho and the bottom game is Detana. I wish the Bells and Whistles version of Detana was in the game. That version is completely in English.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Yow, I wanted to say something too, but BrianC literally reviewed the whole thing! The Psone DP supposedly should be slightly better than the SS one, due to movie compression quality and psx resolution closer to the orginal screen ratio of the coin-op, or so I was told on this same forum.

Anyway, Lonesage... you're gonna have lotsa fun! :D
X - P - B
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Also, if you max out power-up bells (blue/speed, four; gray/shot 3 or 4?), next bell of the same colour will be worth 56,730 points. Same discourse for the green or red bell (respectively the options or the shield, take one of them once and then you get the bonus), but you can't have shield and options at the same time. Last but not least, there's the pink bell: if you get hit at both your arms, an ambulance will give you back the arms. If the same thing happens again, you have to take the pink bell.If you have both your arms, the pink bell is also worth 56,730 pts.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Andi

Post by Andi »

Is anybody going to start the high score thread for this game back up? I was pretty proud of that score...
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

Whoo, got it in the mail today...and I just beat Yahho in the Special mode. What's the dif between Special and the Arcade mode (I think that's it; not Practice mode) besides more colorific colors in Special?

Yahho's a great game, I definitely could tell it was made by the Parodius team. The short cutscenes were great, as were the boss characters. However, I can't help but feel that it was rushed, or incomplete...at least 2 more levels and it coulda been gold.

Great game tho, wish I woulda remembered Detana was the bottom one, because I'd rather have played the games in order they came out :(
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

LoneSage wrote: What's the dif between Special and the Arcade mode (I think that's it; not Practice mode) besides more colorific colors in Special?
Bump.

Anyways, I beat Detana tonight...very plain shmup with very nice music; can't get those nice tunes out of my head. It's just so cute that I can't help but like it, though.

Any game in the series that you people think is better than Yahho!?
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

One last bump to see if anyone knows the answer to my question, thuper thanks :)
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

LoneSage wrote:Any game in the series that you people think is better than Yahho!?
It's difficult to say... If you enjoyed these and you have a snes, you should hunt a copy of Pop'n Twinbee. It's quite cheap and it's generally considered the best in the series.

It is however "best" in the sense of "fit to console gameplay". They added an energy bar, made things slightly easier, and drastically increased the levels' length (this way, you'll enjoy the music a lot more). As a result, it feels a more quite experience that Yahho-!

So, if you're into manic, or huge fans of arcade shooting, you might like it less than those two.

About the Special Mode... I don't remember anything different other than colors. But I might be wrong on this, likely.

And there's a legendary cheat code that allows you to play in "Dark Mode": that too is a mistery that has yet to be solved. What Dark Mode does?
X - P - B
gigadrive32

Post by gigadrive32 »

would someone be so kind as to list all the orgiinal arcade games in the TwinBee series?

I'm not very familar with TwinBee games :oops:
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Twinbee (1985)

Detana!! Twinbee (1991)

Twinbee Yahho-! (1995)
X - P - B