Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galaga 88

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Xyga

Re: Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galag

Post by Xyga »

It doesn't seem to be but it's a more powerful cpu. Its STP probably remains lower than the G3258's OC'd beyond 4GHz, but there aren't many situations where you need that much power so I'd bet that new Pentium is somewhere in the between the G3258's stock and the same reasonably OC'd.
In terms of price they're about even at the moment, since the G3258 hs been going up for a while (why?)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Has anyone built this from source? I'm a make user. The make.mak file complains about a target that doesn't have a rule to build it : (
zakk

Post by zakk »

Just to ask the obvious question: you also found and extracted the mameplus 0.148 source?
finisherr wrote:Has anyone built this from source? I'm a make user. The make.mak file complains about a target that doesn't have a rule to build it : (
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Yes. The make file there has a broken target.
zakk wrote:Just to ask the obvious question: you also found and extracted the mameplus 0.148 source?
finisherr wrote:Has anyone built this from source? I'm a make user. The make.mak file complains about a target that doesn't have a rule to build it : (
zakk

Post by zakk »

It's been forever since I even tried compiling shmupmame, but I remember it having various issues that required correcting manually.

I also remember mameplus having a bunch of annoying windows-specific stuff you'll have to hack around if you're not compiling on windows.

I guess what I'm saying is good luck.
unsane

Post by unsane »

Getting back into shmups again. Is this what i should be using?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

yes
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

no
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
donluca

Post by donluca »

No and the first post of this topic should really be updated to reflect that.
Liquidus0

Post by Liquidus0 »

What is a good alternative to shmupmame 4.2 if you don't recommend it anymore ?

I only have an old version of MAME and I can't use save states with some games.

Any version that is better and that don't have issues with save states ?
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Mameplus 0.168 would be a good choice if you want autofire and custom buttons. There's a custom build of newer MAME by our member here that includes these two features.
unsane

Post by unsane »

Liquidus0 wrote:What is a good alternative to shmupmame 4.2 if you don't recommend it anymore ?

I only have an old version of MAME and I can't use save states with some games.

Any version that is better and that don't have issues with save states ?
copy-paster wrote:There's a custom build of newer MAME by our member here that includes these two features.
Here.
PurpBullets

Post by PurpBullets »

yo
been a while since I visited here. while I missed the farm, I did not have much to contribute over the years.

just wanted to say I have now recorded 2 different .inp on separate occasions of a western record, 1st with the newest shmupmame 4.2. although the .inp desynced. no pausing during game or playback, played with the exact same version/same settings/etc.

after looking into it, I read about the nvram being pertinent, tried deleting the nvram, no dice. tried recording a fresh run with a fresh nvram, then with an empty nvram folder. still desynced either way... so what gives? pretty disappointing to have gotten the western record score, twice, but not be able to show the video.

also tried with an old vanilla version of mame (around 0.14X), but it desynced too strangely.

(never had a problem with desync's before, recorded plenty of inp and converted to avi, but since I got a new computer and went from mac to windows now this)

can someone tell me what CORE STATE/PLAYBACK OPTIONS should be in the .ini? I havent touched any of that stuff, but maybe that is the cause.

any advice is appreciated.

also this emulator seems great aside from this .inp dilemma. so thanks and well done.
PurpBullets

Post by PurpBullets »

What would be the most lag-free alternative to shmupmame 4.2?

I can definitely sense a difference with responsiveness compared to vanilla mame.

I would also rather not have an iteration of MESS, I dont really need or want an "all in 1" bloatware emu.

Tried everything I could think of, but the replay still desyncs in the 2nd or 3rd stage.
Tried deleting nvram before recording then before playing back inp and aviwrite.
Tried deleting nvram/cfg.
Tried keeping nvram/cfg.
Dont really think its game specific. Have seen other inp recordings on youtube. (on youtube as far back as mame32 plus! 0.100 (2005))

Also noticed while attempting to playback inp the RNG is not the same as it was while recording.

Guess its time to pack it in and try a different emu, but would really like to keep the lagless driver.

Thanks in advance
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

just a heads up that dodonpachi isn't lagless in this one compared to shmupmame 2.2(but it lacks savestates there)
same probably goes for all other games on that driver
PurpBullets

Post by PurpBullets »

Bananamatic wrote:just a heads up that dodonpachi isn't lagless in this one compared to shmupmame 2.2(but it lacks savestates there)
same probably goes for all other games on that driver
This is a great reply. Thank you bananamatic. :lol:
I was listening to bananarama the other day and I thought about you. You and DDP. :mrgreen:
Also bananas in pajamas.
I appreciate the advice.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

copy-paster wrote:Mameplus 0.168 would be a good choice if you want autofire and custom buttons. There's a custom build of newer MAME by our member here that includes these two features.
Are either of these two as lag-free as shmupmame?
PorCus

Post by PorCus »

Hi there ! Sorry for reviving this thread, but unfortunately the download for the shmupmame 4.2 isn't working anymore. Is there an alternative to download that ? I could also use the source and compile it by myself, which was also my intention.
pmp

Post by pmp »

Retroarch has input lag reduction features in it which I have been playing around with. It 'feels' good to me, but I am quite bad at noticing input lag and was curious if anyone else would try it out and see if they feel a difference.
Under Settings > Latency, Set Run-Ahead to Reduce Latency > ON, set the number of frames you want to run ahead, I've been using 2, and Runahead Use Second Instance > ON. There is an issue with games that run between 57-60 hz being sped up to 60 hz. To fix this, goto retroarch.cfg and reduce the value of audio_max_timing_skew, I found 0.001 works for my purposes. You can verify the game is running at the correct speed by turning on FPS in the overlay and comparing it with the machine information.

edit: you will also probably want to turn off vsync and windowed full screen mode in settings

edit2: I've had some mixed results testing this. It doesn't appear to always work, and when it does Retroarch tends to crash when you try to go back into the menu. In Ketsui, I was able to get 2f off the input lag and it seemed fine. But in Batsugun I was able to fly through bullets without dying.

edit3: Run-Ahead only works when turned on in game. It will not work if set in Latency settings, or saved in a per core/game Configuration override. It has to be enabled manually every time.
Last edited by pmp on Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KaizaCorp

Post by KaizaCorp »

You'll likely want to set the run ahead frames per game. You can test how many frames of delay there are (first without run ahead enabled) by pausing the game (default P key), inputting a direction, and advancing the game a frame at a time (default K key) until the game shows the movement. Then set the run ahead frames to be 1 less than what you counted (generally).

After that's set, pause, input, and advance frames again to test the run ahead settings.
ZEONist

Post by ZEONist »

EDIT: Stupid question. Got it!
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

The download for the shmupmame 2.2 isn't working anymore. Is there an alternative to download that?
Please!
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

For the life of me I cannot get autofire to work for Tatsujin and I have no idea why. Autofire works just fine on literally any other game I try. Total shot in the dark here, but anyone have any advice for something I can try? This is with 4.2 obviously.
dannycheeto

Post by dannycheeto »

DietSoap wrote:For the life of me I cannot get autofire to work for Tatsujin and I have no idea why. Autofire works just fine on literally any other game I try. Total shot in the dark here, but anyone have any advice for something I can try? This is with 4.2 obviously.
have you tried altering the frequency?
ZEONist

Post by ZEONist »

ZEONist wrote:EDIT: Stupid question. Got it!
okay, this time i am serious: after joining this fine forum i found out about the shmupmame 4.2. thing (yeah, i actually never heard of it before or i did not realize what it was or that i could be a good idea to try it out... not sure) and gave it a try. surprise, i really like it for certain games. after playing GUNBIRD 2 for like three hours this evening (and filling up the highscore board with my lovely initals) i realized that it doesnt saves the highscores. what can i do to fix this ? a quick search via google didnt bring anything usable to light. my other MAME is fine with highscore.dat in the plugins folder and all but shmupmame doesnt even have a plugin folder in its native directory tree. long story short: please, someone enlight me on how to setup the highscores function for shmupmame. thanks in advance for your time.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

dannycheeto wrote:
DietSoap wrote:For the life of me I cannot get autofire to work for Tatsujin and I have no idea why. Autofire works just fine on literally any other game I try. Total shot in the dark here, but anyone have any advice for something I can try? This is with 4.2 obviously.
have you tried altering the frequency?
Yeah, tried tons of values: lowest, highest, bunch in between etc and none of them seemed to fix it. What's weird is when I first booted up Tatsujin it had this massive value in the frequency by default

wondering if that has anything to do with it.
third_strike

Post by third_strike »

Can someone send shmupmame 2.2?
Please!
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Sorry for necrobumping this thread, but has anybody compiled a nonag-version of Shmupmame 4.2? I've skimmed this thread, and a couple of people asked for it, but to no avail. Someone have pity, I must have tried half a dozen mame versions and shitloads of different frontends in the last couple of days and I'm fucking exhausted... quarantine's gotten harder and harder to bear... shmupmame is the only thing that has given me any joy. I need it for the mini cocktail I've been building for the last three years. Cheers.
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

ZEONist wrote:
someone enlight me on how to setup the highscores function for shmupmame. thanks in advance for your time.
https://www.mameworld.info/highscore/download.htm

Click here to download the older hiscore.dat (pre 0.174). place the hiscore.dat file in the mame folder with the executable. It should start saving your high scores now. Hope this helps.

Also, If anybody still needs the files for shmupmame 4.2 and 2.2 I can throw it on mega.nz or something. lmk I guess
ChurchOfSolipsism

Post by ChurchOfSolipsism »

Just in case anybody is actually considering compiling a nonag-version of Shmupmame for me: don't do it, I'll get a new PC for my project. I know people here can be amazingly helpful and I don't want anybody to waste their time. :mrgreen:
n0rtygames wrote:[The wife] once asked me "whats a shoryuken?" so I gave her a real life demonstration. Except she was too close on the spin. So I actually SRK'd her. With full vocalisation too...