Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galaga 88

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Obiwanshinobi

Re: Shmupmame Lagless Edition, new release mamep99

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

mufunyo wrote:
Obiwanshinobi wrote:If your Windows detect the stick correctly (check up on "game controllers" in the control pannel), you can just use JoyToKey.
And induce another 2 frames of lag :mrgreen:
Measuring the lag induced by JoyToKey in frames doesn't make much sense. It doesn't wait until a game runs two frames forward; rather it takes some time, and how many frames it lasts depends on given game (as different games have different framerates).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Measuring the lag induced by JoyToKey in frames doesn't make much sense. It doesn't wait until a game runs two frames forward; rather it takes some time, and how many frames it lasts depends on given game (as different games have different framerates).
The point is that playing a lagless version of MAME with Joy2Key is a bit pointless because first you remove lag and then you add lag again. It's a bit like getting a real PCB because you don't want input lag, and then ending up playing it on a supergun connected to a 50 inch LCD TV that adds like 4 frames of lag.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Dunno, haven't played a shmup with JoyToKey (only DMC3, like, years ago), thus I'm not sure how bad it'd be in one.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

I just tried this for the first time with Dodonpachi, and I want to state my opinion here because this new MAME is a real improvement.

The absence of lag, with one less frame for Dodonpachi, means if I'm not mistaken a speed of response from the game that is 17ms faster. For having played FPS online, I know 17ms is a lot in a fast game. I can definitely feel the difference, it clearly improves player performance. For some reason it seems to display a much clearer/smoother picture than wolfmame99 too.

This is the version of MAME I will be using from now on.

Test note : Save states and input recording / playback work fine for Dodonpachi, however you should probably add something to block the ability to save/load a state, fast forward, and most importantly to pause, when recording a run. It's easy to abuse pausing to play frame by frame and that is no good at all. Please do fix this !
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Keade

Post by Keade »

WolfMAME already does all this and more (embeds the recording speed in the INP file along with various other information)
'Better get the source or diffs of an existing version of WolfMAME (or libraries, since WolfMAME is not EDIT :*not open-source) and apply it Nimitz' lagless input hack, I think.

edit : forgot a word
Last edited by Keade on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Keade wrote:WolfMAME already does all this and more (embeds the recording speed in the INP file along with various other information)
yep
who's doing this? :D
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
captpain

Post by captpain »

600 million now, PROMETHEUS, no excuses.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

captpain wrote:600 million now, PROMETHEUS, no excuses.
Haha. Indeed this discovery made me want to try again and get a bigger score.
I would like a cheat-free version before trying though :p Even though I think people trust me... you never really know someone, especially online ;]
Follow me on Twitch??
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

From the DDP hs thread:
As for a version that would disable pause/ save states during recording, I would like to do this. But since I don't really know what to disable or what to look for (and being pretty busy with other projects atm) I would need the wolfmame source, which I cannot find anywhere. If anyone can find a mame source with patches to remove these options, I will gladly compile and release it as an official version for replays.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Anyone else have white text on a white background in the game list? (it is slightly inconvenient)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

ED-057 wrote:Anyone else have white text on a white background in the game list? (it is slightly inconvenient)
Yes, but as I have a frontend in my cabinet, it doesn't matter much at all.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
captpain

Post by captpain »

ED-057 wrote:Anyone else have white text on a white background in the game list? (it is slightly inconvenient)
Options -> Game List Font.
Keade

Post by Keade »

I've just PMed Malhemiut at MARP to ask him if it was possible to get WolfMAME source, libraries or diffs files in order to apply this hack to WolfMAME.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Keade wrote:I've just PMed Malhemiut at MARP to ask him if it was possible to get WolfMAME source, libraries or diffs files in order to apply this hack to WolfMAME.
Good. Let's get this done!
Follow me on Twitch??
Keade

Post by Keade »

mahlemiut's answer wrote:Source diffs are available http://wolfmame.marpirc.net/ look for wolfxxx.zip and inpviewxx-xxx.zip

Might be worth changing the version string (src/version.c) also, just so you can tell the difference between the emulators. Inpview is not a requirement, either, if it is not needed.
I guess this is equivalent as having the sources.

I don't know what program he used to produce the diffs files though.
To me this looks like a Linux standard command ("diff -Nru base0137/src/emu/inptport.c w0137/src/emu/inptport.c").

edit : lolol I forgot you needed older diffs Nimitz (106). I sent him another PM :mrgreen:
t0yrobo

Post by t0yrobo »

Wow this is really great. Even a scrub like me can tell a difference in, nice work.
XBL - CountryGolden
clp

Post by clp »

is batrider included in the improved lag list? and can someone please help me locate the rom , thanks.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

clp wrote:can someone please help me locate the rom , thanks.
No, no they can't.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
clp

Post by clp »

Stupid rule is stupid , can someone please pm me location to the batrider rom for this mame thanks .
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

well you can't ask for a rom either, unless directly by pm (I think)
Follow me on Twitch??
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Just google it, jesus tittyfucking christ.
clp

Post by clp »

Jockel wrote:Just google it, jesus tittyfucking christ.
ah its ok i dont think the driver was one of the lag upgraded ones anyway for batrider .
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

clp wrote: ah its ok i dont think the driver was one of the lag upgraded ones anyway for batrider .
did you read the thread?

he says that in the first post :lol:
clp

Post by clp »

aye just read it lol.
captpain

Post by captpain »

How does a person with almost 650 posts manage to....ffffffffff
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

Quick bump for those who might have missed it...
Also a good time to thank you guys for the positive feedback, almost 1000 downloads now, glad to see it's appreciated.

As for a definitive replay version, I'm not promising anything, but I might try to do it with the 137 wolfmame source diff.
dannnnn

Post by dannnnn »

mufunyo wrote:The point is that playing a lagless version of MAME with Joy2Key is a bit pointless because first you remove lag and then you add lag again. It's a bit like getting a real PCB because you don't want input lag, and then ending up playing it on a supergun connected to a 50 inch LCD TV that adds like 4 frames of lag.
Is there a lag-free alternative to Joy2Key? For some reason, MAME doesn't recognise my controller even though Windows lists it as working (with up to date drivers).
Observer wrote:WELCOME TO VIOLENT CITY. That's all the storyline I need.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

dannnnn wrote:
mufunyo wrote:The point is that playing a lagless version of MAME with Joy2Key is a bit pointless because first you remove lag and then you add lag again. It's a bit like getting a real PCB because you don't want input lag, and then ending up playing it on a supergun connected to a 50 inch LCD TV that adds like 4 frames of lag.
Is there a lag-free alternative to Joy2Key? For some reason, MAME doesn't recognise my controller even though Windows lists it as working (with up to date drivers).
xpadder
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

nimitz wrote:As for a definitive replay version, I'm not promising anything, but I might try to do it with the 137 wolfmame source diff.
That would be totally cool man. Really a nice gift to the community.
Follow me on Twitch??
phrenzee

Post by phrenzee »

dannnnn wrote:Is there a lag-free alternative to Joy2Key? For some reason, MAME doesn't recognise my controller even though Windows lists it as working (with up to date drivers).
Just to be sure - you did enable joystick input in Options > Default Game Options > Controller and configure it in Mame via the tab-menu?
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.