Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galaga 88

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Arcatech

Re: Shmupmame Lagless Edition official release

Post by Arcatech »

Thats the only fault i can spot on this. I usually like to set up a custom button for like charge shots.

Guess I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth though.
Pulsewidth

Post by Pulsewidth »

Great post. Thanks for making this patch. I'll enjoy testing it.
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

PsikyoFan wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:Small taps are actually possible- the dragon is easier to stop on a dime when you need a small move to go through gaps between bullets. There's none of this "give a little, get a lot" shit going on with movement.
The changes made cannot change the behavior in the way you describe, this is a placebo effect.
Not true at all, at least depending on what he means. If he is trying to simply tap to move small increments this is indeed placebo effect. But if he is talking about actually "stopping on a dime" by releasing the move button and stopping earlier then he is right and this build helps.
PsikyoFan wrote: Just to make this absolutely plain and clear - there's a few different changes in here, but they mostly amount to the same thing; rendering the sprites a frame or two earlier (At the expense of hw accuracy and synchronisation with backgrounds if used).
That means that you see the baddies/bullets/whatever slightly earlier, that your ship will appear to start/stop moving slightly more responsively. It does not mean that for an input of the same duration the game will overall respond any differently.
The ship will not only "appear" to move more responsively but will move slightly more responsively. And yes an input of the same duration will have the same effect in any build, obviously.

PsikyoFan wrote:For me, this is not a beneficial change to shmups since it results in the sprites and backgrounds falling out of sync.
I fail to see how the background being imperceptibly out of sync affects the gameplay in any way.
PsikyoFan wrote:
nimitz wrote:the frame buffer
A 'frame buffer' is something quite specific - and it's not this.
My bad. I meant sprite buffer.

mufunyo: where is that TGM community you speak of, I'm curious.
mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

nimitz wrote:mufunyo: where is that TGM community you speak of, I'm curious.
Mostly buried in the murky depths of Quakenet's IRC network. But we also have a website.

http://tetrisconcept.net/forum
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Well, it's a hackjob after all. This delay must've been there for a reason and obviously, for the sake of exactness, the lag added by MAME should be sorted out rather than this. The emulation as such hasn't been improved, but many people's gaming experience clearly has. Those who play emulated games commit such compromises all the time. Aesthetically, this one is pretty harmless. To me these games look the same as before, only feel different/control better this time around.
nimitz wrote:
PsikyoFan wrote:For me, this is not a beneficial change to shmups since it results in the sprites and backgrounds falling out of sync.
I fail to see how the background being imperceptibly out of sync affects the gameplay in any way.
Maybe, just maybe it could mess with the collision detection whilst navigating a ship through the hazardous environment ("furniture" everywhere, like in R-Type). Dunno, depends how collisions are tied to backgrounds. This should be objectively measurable with step-frame method.
P.S. Okay, I see what it does. When sprites scroll at different speed/in a different direction than the background (that's what most of them do most of the time), it's alright. Only when sprite is supposed to scroll at the exact same speed and in the same direction as the background (destructible scenery bits etc.), it appears to "shiver" a little. That is all. It's pretty apparent in a slideshow mode (pause the game with P, then hold Shift and keep tapping P); pots in Guwange, standing infantrymen and whatnot, they all seem to be "jumping" in slideshow, but when you are watching the attract mode at full speed, it's only a wee bit of "shivering". When you are actually playing, you're focused on the balloons and confetti, stuff moving on screen, which is as smooth as ever.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Good news nimitz, I just playback'd a 40-minute inp and it never desynched. I noticed this build doesn't use NVRAM either so I guess it's safe to assume inps won't desynch at all.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

Ruldra : great news, thanks
Sandlegs

Post by Sandlegs »

played esprade more than i have in a couple years last night. was truly a fine experience. guwange was also quite awesome. INSTANT WOLF!
(2x middle fingers)
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

So, after much help from the guys at mameworld and shmup.com. I finally managed to compile mame plus 99. The 137 patches didn't work so I made new ones and after some testing here's the "Pro" edition of Lagless mame is ready for you guys.

Features :
-Savestate support
-Custom buttons
-Customizable Autofire
-record/playback (untested, but should work fine)
-All mamep99 games unlocked

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/?1i3z5mt0tmd
Ruldra

Re: Shmupmame Lagless Edition, new release mamep99

Post by Ruldra »

I found something interesting: the readme mentions that the background layer and sprite layer aren't completely synched, but you can't really notice that. Well, when you record something at 30 fps and then watch the video, you can clearly see the desynch...you see all enemies and items going left and right slightly (at least with Zero Wing -- I believe vertical games will have stuff going up and down). It looks a bit odd.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Hmm I guess that would make videos look a bit funny too... think I may still test this too, and see what happens.
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
LaserGun

Post by LaserGun »

Looks like dicking around with mame and it's lag problems wasn't a waste of time, Nimitz :lol: good job

also, quick question, does the .99 version only remove lag from the drivers specified in the .137 version?
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

LaserGun wrote:also, quick question, does the .99 version only remove lag from the drivers specified in the .137 version?
Yes, only the specified drivers, nothing else. The rests behaves like mamep 99.
captpain

Post by captpain »

nimitz wrote:
LaserGun wrote:also, quick question, does the .99 version only remove lag from the drivers specified in the .137 version?
Yes, only the specified drivers, nothing else. The rests behaves like mamep 99.
Out of curiosity, why are they enabled? I guess it's for convenience.

For what it's worth, I'd rather have the other games disabled and simply use a different version of MAME for them.

This completely owns, by the way.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

This rules. Here is a mirror for any who'd rather avoid the ad-laden file hosting site.
http://www.hyakushiki.net/shmup/mamep_~1.zip
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

probably a stupid question, but which roms do we use with this mamep99 build?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

jonny5 wrote:probably a stupid question, but which roms do we use with this mamep99 build?
The MAME 0.99 ones? Image
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

emphatic wrote:
jonny5 wrote:probably a stupid question, but which roms do we use with this mamep99 build?
The MAME 0.99 ones? Image
'tis what i assumed....i did say it was a stupid question :wink:

can anybody recommend where to get older sets(or individual roms)....i only know where to get current sets

im really only after progear no arashi so if anybody feels like being super nice and hooking a brother up and saving me some searching that would be awesome :D just shoot me a PM
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

I made a mame folder with all the improved shmups in the 99 version for personal use

If anyone is interested here it is:

It's a mame list of all 65 "shmups" (including mercs, outzone) I usually put the version used in the high score threads.
Just put the file in your mame\folders\ directory

Link (This is a .ini file of 633 bytes it's basically a list of game names):
http://www.mediafire.com/?zy1mmw2lkjt

edit: I decided to include everything, including the semi-broken toaplan games
Last edited by nimitz on Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:52 pm, edited 8 times in total.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

nimitz wrote:I made a mame folder with all the improved shmups in the 99 version for personal use

If anyone is interested here it is:

It has 56 "shmups" (including mercs, outzone) I usually put the version used in the high score threads.
ust put the file in your mame\folders\ directory
perfect!!!

thanx so much for this....makes things much easier for me now....lag free(closer anyways) progear definitely peaked my interest

nice work!!
Keade

Post by Keade »

The romset hasn't changed drastically from 0.99 to the current version, but generally speaking, if you need an old ROM, I think there are 2 solutions :
- Get a very very old romset, download the roms updates packs and update (using software such as ClearMAMEpro)
- Get the latest romset and use rollback roms (the inverse). I would go for that solution.

I didn't take time to actually test this but I eventually will : there are a ton of old MARP inps I want to see.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

i plan to grab those roms nimitz posted, delete all but progear and throw it on my mame rig....

im mainly interested to see how it plays compared to the PCB/mame without the driver fixes....

cuz progear in normal mame is annoying.....
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

I never posted any roms, what I posted is a "mame folder" which is a list of games to use in a mame gui version to sort games.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

nimitz wrote:I never posted any roms, what I posted is a "mame folder" which is a list of games to use in a mame gui version to sort games.
yes....my apologies....i just realized that :oops:

didnt read your post very carefully(at work)

im setting it all up now....i will post back with my impressions....i havent really played progear (since i sold my PCB) due to the input lag in mame....
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

very noticeable improvement on progear :D

huge thanks for this nimitz!
orange

Post by orange »

has anyone else had trouble getting 360 sticks to work on this? every controller i have works except my 360 stick

edit: also said stick works on every other version of mame i have tried
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

If your Windows detect the stick correctly (check up on "game controllers" in the control pannel), you can just use JoyToKey.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

mufunyo

Post by mufunyo »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:If your Windows detect the stick correctly (check up on "game controllers" in the control pannel), you can just use JoyToKey.
And induce another 2 frames of lag :mrgreen:
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

could anyone make a debian package out of it?
pretty pleeease? :mrgreen:
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Is there any way this could be incorporated into GGPO? It would make the online experience that much better.

But I think that program uses FBA or something else like that. too bad... :|