Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galaga 88

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
BPzeBanshee

Re: Shmupmame 4.2: Lagless Mars Matrix, Strikers 1945, Galag

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Mushihimesama (2004) onwards are on the CV1000 hardware which is very different from what they were using before - heavier performance requirements, more modern CPU type, etc, so the blitter only applies to those games. The blitter is for a form of slowdown for which I found 63% to be pretty damn close for some games but it's not and will not be completely accurate for a very long time as there are other sources of slowdown on the board which aren't being accurately handled.
Nasirosuchus

Post by Nasirosuchus »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Mushihimesama (2004) onwards are on the CV1000 hardware which is very different from what they were using before - heavier performance requirements, more modern CPU type, etc, so the blitter only applies to those games. The blitter is for a form of slowdown for which I found 63% to be pretty damn close for some games but it's not and will not be completely accurate for a very long time as there are other sources of slowdown on the board which aren't being accurately handled.
Agreed. The slowdown will never be 100% accurate to the PCB but the same is true of the ports. I still find the games fun to play even thought they'll never be arcade perfect.
pbsk8

Post by pbsk8 »

Nice. Then all 2004 and above games I will set 63% blitter.

I am waiting for my first arcade stick to arrive, Hori RAP Pro V from amazon.

I hope this new version is plug and play like the V4 so I can enjoy UME and all CAVE shmups and others as well.
fishstickilicious

Post by fishstickilicious »

I just downloaded the latest version. I was wondering if there's a way of getting rid of the BIOS files from the available games list. Otherwise, I'm really enjoying the lagless gameplay.
NO.ONE

Post by NO.ONE »

i have problem with strikers 1945 plus... the rom dont work and i dont know why u.u
quash

Post by quash »

I'm back to using shmupmame because the latest builds of MAME+ won't run Salamander 2 at the right speed.

I've had two issues with shmupmame from the beginning: it won't disable bilinear filtering no matter what, and it won't save my control configurations. Anyone know a fix for these?
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

NO.ONE wrote:i have problem with strikers 1945 plus... the rom dont work and i dont know why u.u
Can you play other NeoGeo games? Forget if you need the NeoGeo bios or something? Another thing I notice playing NeoGeo game via any MAME version is the game titles are never highlighted as available or working unlike all other roms. Yet if I find the name and select to boot the rom, it boots and works just fine.
pbsk8

Post by pbsk8 »

On mame and ume, both 158 version, how can I set percentage for blitter delay?

In config option, only "yes" or "no" for using it is available, nothing more. :cry:
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

If it's the same as 0.155, the actual percentage is in the slider controls menu, while the toggle is in the game configuration menu.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Is it possible to tinker with the Qt GUI? Apparently romsets are using 7z now which Shmupmame does support in its built-in UI, as well as the old-style GUI, but Qt does not. I'll use the old GUI version for now.
ProjectAKo

Post by ProjectAKo »

Anyone compile this lately? I'm looking to add some things for a personal version such as score saving per level (for this one singular game only, since it will probably require reading specific memory from its RAM) and auto nvram deletion, because I'm kind of tired of doing these things manually.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

So I was trying Battle Garegga on ShmupMAME yesterday, and it still seemed to have 2 or 3 frames of lag compared to demo on Saturn that comes on the Soukyugurentai disc, even with vsync off.

I'm using my AMD 7970 with a 320x240 resolution going to my PVM (resolution created with CRU). Is there something wrong with this setup that may be causing extra lag?

Also, would GroovyMAME work with my current hardware setup? Or would I need to install custom drivers or something?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Answered most of my own questions.

I set up GroovyMAME with a frame delay of 9 (though I got slowdown during some boss attacks, so I may need to lower to 7 or so), and the input lag was almost eliminated! It still felt like there may be a frame of lag, so I wonder if combining nimitz's ShmupMAME fix with GroovyMAME's frame delay would yield an even better result.
Teeb

Post by Teeb »

Wanted to register just to say how cool this is, nimitz, and to express my gratitude! Thanks for all your hard work and expertise!

Also, thank you to Obiwanshinobi, who very early on in the thread, explained how to test for lag. It's nice to personally confirm things that you previously could only speculate about (or blame...on)

On a side note, I was surprised that in the games I tested (Outzone and Strikers 45 II), there wasn't that much lag to begin with: Two frames in Outzone, and one in Strikers; and also, that one frame makes a BIG difference.

I use a real Saturn pad through a USB adapter. I thought that would have added lag, but I guess not? I also thought LCD monitors added lag, but I guess not one frames' worth? I dunno. Just rambling. Not asking. It'd go over my head anyway.

Thanks again, Nimitz!
QXC

Post by QXC »

Is there some way to use switchres with shmupmame so the output is synced with my display?
KBZ

Post by KBZ »

QXC wrote:Is there some way to use switchres with shmupmame so the output is synced with my display?
What kind of display?

I used shmupmame with switchres and crtemudriver arcade_osd to output correctly to a Nanao MS9
=/
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Wow cool stuff! I'll download later.

BTW is both G-Darius and Raystorm runs smoothly on the latest release?
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Is the v4.2 still the latest release? Will there be a new release with the current MAME version?
Is there a way to use the "shmupmame" with MAME Plus XT(extended), respectively make a version off it?
I use MAME Plus XT only at the moment. I like the shader options like xBRZ3.
donluca

Post by donluca »

I *think* the improvements of Shmupmame have been integrated in GroovyMAME, not 100% sure though.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Is this being worked on anymore? I would love to have lagless Raizing games.

I know that the previous version did, but it won't run on my comp. I know you guys are doing this for free....but PLEASE!

Also, how come when I play STV games, it gives me a few Driver errors? But the games will still play.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Nope, the developer bought into the MAMEdev memes years ago and now hates his project. Unless someone else takes over the project, there's no real hope for lagless MAME anymore.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
tjg92

Post by tjg92 »

Ever since the Windows 10 Anniversary Update hit, if I try to exit or Alt-Tab out of a fullscreen game in Shmupmame it freezes my PC and I have to restart. I guess I ought to try a different version of MAME and see if that fixes anything.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Not even joking, the Windows 10 AU is a trainwreck and has hurt a billion other programs and games. I recommend not using Win10 at all, at least not until you absolutely have to.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Despatche wrote:Nope, the developer bought into the MAMEdev memes years ago and now hates his project.
Clearly he couldn't have decided that their reasoning was better, obviously he just bought into the memes :arrow:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ilitirit

Post by ilitirit »

I compiled a 64bit Windows windows version of Shmupmame that fixes some of those double input config issues and adds a "Quick Input" configuration option

https://mega.nz/#!uMIx2BYB!mBNC0gRsotnx ... RlRapzqPlU

Use at own risk. Don't blame me if it wipes your drive, eats your lunch, steals your girlfriend etc etc.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Is there any advantage using ShmupMAME over GroovyMAME? I mean GroovyMAME is also lagless.
jeffpin

Post by jeffpin »

ilitirit wrote:I compiled a 64bit Windows windows version of Shmupmame that fixes some of those double input config issues and adds a "Quick Input" configuration option

https://mega.nz/#!uMIx2BYB!mBNC0gRsotnx ... RlRapzqPlU

Use at own risk. Don't blame me if it wipes your drive, eats your lunch, steals your girlfriend etc etc.

How did you recompile? I was having trouble doing this. Looking for a no nag high score build, did you apply those patches?
ilitirit

Post by ilitirit »

Shadolf wrote:Is there any advantage using ShmupMAME over GroovyMAME? I mean GroovyMAME is also lagless.
I tested this with the 0.17* version of Groovymame. At least in SSF2T, Shmupmame had one less frame of lag using my testing procedure (which may or may not be flawed).

The way I tested it was too press pause, hold a direction (jump in this case), then advance frame-by-frame till the character jumped. Groovymame was slower by one frame. This was on Windows 10 64 using d3d9ex video. I believe this has been replaced with bgfx.

I haven't tested it in the latest version.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

That's just a baseline. There will almost always be a few more in realtime operation, due to inherent latency in the OS, USB polling, video drivers, monitor, etc. But yeah, Shmupmame reduces that baseline where I assume Groovy works to make the realtime stuff faster (assuming you have the proper hardware setup).
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Is windows 10 still freezing while using shmupmame?