GP's Cave-heavy Translation Matsuri Love In

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

Great interview. I like the part where Namiki said to Iwata "there used to be quite a few games like this" and they felt the art had a 80s/90s feel to it.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Love.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I read the whole of the DDP interview and apart from the inspirations and 2nd loop additions they added late on, I didn't find it very interesting at all.

Its interesting that they pushed the bullet count so hard even though it seemed impossible at the time to navigate through it. :D

Thanks for the translation Gaijin.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
raiden

Post by raiden »

I was surprised finding HOW influential Battle Garegga has been. Seems like the whole trend of danmaku might not even have occured without Battle Garegga.
D

Entire article

Post by D »

Dodonpachi Developer Interview
"This is the way we do it!"

In March of 1997, a non-stop shooter appeared that made even hardcore players moan in pain. It's name is Dodonpachi. Why is it so hot? Why does it make one so addicted? It was developed by Cave, by a staff made up of previous Toaplan members who continually put out famous shooters one after another. No doubt this is where the secret of the fun lies. Now let's take a look at their latest work.

Interviewers: RED, MVP, Kouji (April 1997 at Atlus Head Office)

-First, can you both, IKD-san and Kouyama-san, tell us what parts you were in charge of with previous games, and of course with Dodonpachi?

IKD: Games I was in charge of, including back when I was with Toaplan, include V-V, Batsugun, Donpachi, and Dodonpachi. For Dodonpachi I was in charge of the progression from planning to production, as well as ship turning and enemy placement, which Kouyama-san and I did half and half.

Kouyama: I worked on two projects, Batsugun and Dodonpachi. On Dodonpachi I was mainly in charge of character and boss programming.

-Can you tell us about the complete process?

IKD: We started planning around February of last year, and began development soon after. Then around November we finally did a location test with a version that had up to stage 5. We finished with stage 6 and the 2nd loop just before this years AOU show. We struggled to get that last version out.

-I believe the version we recieved included up to stage 4 of the second loop. At that time, was that considered as high as it would go?

IKD: Yes. In the beginning we intended to have the 2nd loop end with stage 4. Considering the difficulty and the transition from the first to the second loop, we thought stages 5 and 6 would be too intense.

Atlus Publicist: However, for various reasons we were delayed in making the master rom. During this period, we shrewdly had them put in the 2nd loop stages 5 and 6 (laughs).

IKD: We made the best of a bad situation.

-Thankfully that's the only part you made rough on our strategy columnist (laughs).

IKD: Sorry about that (laughs).

-Before we start talking about Dodonpachi, I'd like to ask about your previous game, Donpachi.

IKD: Donpachi was the first thing I worked on once I started at Cave. For the first one, I was thinking about making a shooter with the areas of expertise fostered at Toaplan. As such, it seems to have a very simple system at it's base, but is still deep and exhilirating.

Atlus Publicist: From Atlus' side, rather than having them make games of completely different genres, we wanted them to make shooters like those those crazy Toaplan ones. Sticking to that, we wanted something that would make people think that "Atlus is picking up where Toaplan left off!"

-And now two years have passed and Dodonpachi has been released. As a sequel, are there any newly established concepts?

IKD: Yes. For Donpachi, even though we wanted to make a product that was noticeabley "Toaplanish", that "Toaplanishness" had something that even now hasn't fully "digested" in me. Therefore, for Dodonpachi, while we carried over the system, the feel this time was made by ignoring it's prequel and putting in only elements we found most interesting.

-I think most Toaplan shooters have two types of firing in them. The fast kind of bullets that you would counter against, and the rather slow moving but plentiful bullets you would pass through. For the games that IKD-san has been involved with, I'd say there seems to be more of the latter.

IKD: I am personally no good against fast bullets. When I was a player, I was playing a bit of Tatsujin and Kyuukyoku Tiger, but moreso I found an appeal in Salamander. Even now I won't forget the shock of making it to the 2nd and 3rd loops (laughs). Dodging your way through a screen filled with bullets... I like that "tasting the bullet-dodging" feeling (laughs).

-I fully understand that. Dodonpachi also requires one to dodge his way through swarms of bullets.

IKD: I think the invigorating feeling of dodging the more abundant, but slower bullets is different, and even visually I think has more of an impact and can really show off a players abilities.

Dodonpachi Developer Interview (page 2)
-When playing Dodonpachi, you get that feeling deep down that you two were playing shooters from way back.

IKD: You could say that. That's probably because we were so hooked on first-class Konami shooters like Gradius and Salamander.

Kouyama: The game I first got into was Xevious. Then after entering high school I moved on to Kyuukyoku Tiger. In both cases, there was a lot of "shooting" going on. Incidentally, one of the staff members of the arcade I was going to back then was IKD-san.

-I guess misery loves company (laughs). So how was your score back then? (laughs). That's to say, I think that someone who doesn't play a lot of games can't make something amazing like Dodonpachi. Can you comment on that?

Kohyama: This is getting scary... (laughs). I'm pretty slow when it comes to getting high scores, but after about a year of playing I got up to about 18 million on Tatsujin, 10 million on Hishouzame, and 9 million on Kyuukyoku Tiger. I mainly go after the vertical shooters. This is kind of making me look like a maniac... is that okay?

-If I just ask sophisticated questions I can't write an interesting article (laughs). What about you, IKD-san?

IKD: Back when I was working in an arcade I wasn't one of the better players amongst my friends. I guess if I really tried, I think getting 10 million on Tatsujin wouldn't be so hard. But, that really isn't such a feat.

-Even so, 10 million on Tatsujin... sounds like you're being modest.

IKD: No, no (laughs).

-I see. That's quite a record. So these are the people that are now on the development side of things.

-The game titles, Donpachi and Dodonpachi, I think are very Toaplan-ish. Were there any other candidates?

Atlus Publicist: The title Dodonpachi was given by the developers, but was something that IKD-san agressively opposed (laughs).

IKD: I kept thinking, "why does it have to be Dodonpachi?!" (laughs). I had the perfect title already picked out.

-And what was that title?

Donpachiryuu (laughs). This time, we made it where people will want to play together. I felt that there was nothing more than this -- that it was perfect.* I was planning on calling it down to the subtitle "Donpachiryuu: Kore ga Oretachi no Yarikata (This is How We Do It)" (laughs).

-We'll use that for the title of this interview (laughs).

Kouyama: Within the company, "Dodonpachi" was overwhelmingly popular (laughs).

-Were there any conscious influences from other shooters?

IKD: I think a lot of Battle Garegga popped up. That was kind of shocking.

Kouyama: When I first saw it in the arcades, looking at the 2nd stage bosses attack patterns I honestly thought to myself, "is it okay to have gone this far?"

IKD: To an extent at first, thinking from a players point of view, even with all the bullets we used, and even with the difficulty we chose, I thought "we'll start it off easy". However, when I saw Battle Garegga, that feeling suddenly crumbled (laughs). Then It was more like "we gotta throw some action in here". I thought there was no way we could surpass it.

-But in the end you chose a different direction than Garegga.

IKD: From the beginning I always told myself "I can't make a game like Garegga even if I wanted to" so figured either way they would turn out different. However, it was a great opportunity for me to experience the fun of dodging bullets. Before Garegga came out, I was gradually becoming disinterested in bullet-dodging... rather the fun was concentrated on special weapons like what you'd find in Darius Gaiden. However, when Garegga came around, I once again felt the joy of "just dodging plain old, straight-shooting bullets". From that came the inspiration to make a game with even hotter bullet-dodging.

Kouyama: We did concentrate on things like the number of bullets while examing Garegga screens. In certain phases like the boss stages, if they had 60 bullets, we'd make 100 (laughs). We made it thinking, "we won't lose in terms of bullets".

Dodonpachi Developer Interview (page 3)
-So how many bullets can fit on screen at once in Dodonpachi?

Kohyama: Up to 245 (laughs). You'll definitely see 245 on Kabachi (fire bee), the last boss. Actually, even though there will only be 245 on screen simultaneously, he'll try to shoot more off-screen (laughs).

-When I was playing it in the editing department they were saying "Dodonpachi has the most on-screen bullets in the universe". It really does, doesn't it? (laughs).

IKD: But that's not to say that it's good just because it has a lot of bullets. It does in fact have that, but we were careful to have a befitting difficulty and visually appealing bullet swarms.

-When playing Dodonpachi, there are a lot of screens with an overwhelming amount of bullets that would make you think "you can really dodge this?!", but since the hit box is so small, you can somehow pull it off. There are many places that would make even a beginner think, "Wow! I'm really good!" I think that's the most attractive part of Dodonpachi.

IKD: That's right. We wanted to make the players "dodge furiously". We tried hard not to make the bullets turn or have tricky trajectories.

-Conversely, if Garegga had never come out, Dodonpachi might've just been a collection of various special weapons. Maybe even wouldn't have had this many bullets.

IKD: I think you're absolutely right.

-This game really spits out some tough attacks. I'd be very interested to know how you go about making bullet patterns.

IKD: I think Kohyama-san and I go about making them in different ways. If I think "this kind of attack would be cool" or "wouldn't it be pretty if this barrage spreads out like this?" I put it right into the program. In short, I get an idea, program it, and check it on the screen. If it's fun, great. If it's not, I try to think of something I can tweak. If I can't, I scrap it. In general I don't think about the difficulty. If I get an idea, I first materialize it.

Kohyama: I'm the opposite. I first think of the whole thing. I get an image in my head and go from there. I try to think how the enemy should shoot to make an interesting pattern, or a nice looking swarm. I give it a thorough simulation to see if it's difficulty will fit for that stage. Then, I test it out on the screen.

-Even so, in the end I guess you have to take into consideration the current difficulty.

Kohyama: Well, I think for the first four stages, the difficulty can get to where a beginner might have to bomb his way through a tough pot.

IKD: But then when you get to stage 5, there's an overwhelming desire to not pay attention to the difficulty and just make whatever you want to make (laughs). I developed the game thinking it would be a single-loop, 5-stage game. When I heard there would be 6 stages, I turned white (laughs).

Atlus Publicist: In other words, Donpachiryuu starts after stage 5 (laughs).

-Of all your works, are there any particular patterns you're particularly fond of?

Kohyama: I like the 6th stage boss attacks, especially the lasers.

-I remember now that you mentioned the 6th boss. This will probably disqualify me as a writer, but is there a proper way to dodge his attacks?

Kohyama: In short, it comes down to spirit (laughs). My apologies to the strategy columnist (laughs).

IKD: But that's a problem on the development side, too. Somewhere in the development phase, there are patterns that you say to yourself you can't dodge. Then Kohyama-san will proudly say, "I could do it". Then we'd put it out there to see, and somehow he'd miraculously pull it off (laughs). There are typically correct ways of dodging but Kohyama does it differently every time. However, I'm also guilty of looking at a pattern and thinking, "yeah, they might figure out a way to get through this one" and gving it the okay without thinking it through (laughs). That's why for the last boss, all I can say is to "fight your way through!" (laughs).

Kohyama: We also intentionally took out any safety zones. In development, we made notes saying "there's a safe spot here" as we went along (laughs).

-In the event that there will be another sequel, do you already have it envisioned?

IKD: Personally I'd like to stop the Donpachi series here. However, if we were to do it, I'd like to further evolve the system and make about twice as many bullets (laughs). Like a "one ship takes on an army" situation.

Kouyama: I'd like to make a completely new game with a completely different system. I'd like to try a new product that carries on in the Donpachi and Dodonpachi fashions. However, if I was told to do a sequel, it would have to be done with IKD-san. To make a crazy game like that, you've gotta have crazy developers (laughs).

Translated by Gaijin Punch

Translator Notes: *~ryuu as a suffix in this case means something like "style". I think there's something lost in translation here... not that IKD is a cunning linguist or anything. It made a bit more sense in Japanese, but not that much.

Thanks to: Click Stick for the scans
Ord

Post by Ord »

The work that you do GP is as always stunning and very much appreaciated. Thank you.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

We love you :D
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

There is a linear note in the DOJ/Ketsui soundtrack by the composer.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Valgar wrote:There is a linear note in the DOJ/Ketsui soundtrack by the composer.
I don't see a scan of it at Click Stick. Anyone else have it?
Ord

Post by Ord »

I've PMed you a scan.
TVG

Post by TVG »

thank you dude,you rock.

hey i dont get it, is IKD ikeda? i tought he developped tatsujin.
now it all doesnt make sense.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Yes. IKD-san is Ikeda-san. They actually goofed it up in the Gamest Graphics interview. They spelled it IKD for every time he spoke except once. :) Not sure why but I just used Ikeda.

Ikeda's a very common name though...keep that in mind.
TVG

Post by TVG »

so its not the same ikeda as the tatsujin guy...

anyway, got myself a sig.
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Tsuneki Ikeda (IKD) was not at Toaplan for Tatsujin/Truxton. He likely worked on the sequel, Tatsujin Ou/Truxton 2.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Hehe... nice sig. Funny little bit about that. That's actually a loose translation... or should I say the essence of translating, and not transliterating. That was a prettty hard part of the interview. He literally said something like, "ki ai wo irete suru" which in Engrish means to "do it with fight"...obviously that don't work. :)

The guy conducting the interview at some point prior to the interview (perhaps in the game intro the same issue, or a previous issue) made a note saying, "sorry I've used the word 'ki ai' like 5 or 6 times..." and then as irony would have it, the developers told him the same thing. As there was no reference to where that incident was, I left it out.

Speaking of irony... or should I say charmic retrobution, I got my Progear in the mail today. JPN board + manual and both instruction cards. As a bonus, they threw in this as well as the instruction card to match it :D Someone upstairs is taking care of me.

Anyways, I've started the next one. It's not Cave related, but I think everyone will get a kick out of it.
TVG

Post by TVG »

this makes it even more badass!

dont worry, even if i dont speak japanese nor any asian language, i do know the difficulties in translating the word ki, since it can mean so much shit.

"spirit" fits the context well.
"In short, it comes down to spirit" - dodonpachi developper Kohyama.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

great interview.
i like the part where he says they didn't want to lose the bullet count match to
garegga.
lmn4096

Post by lmn4096 »

Great work GaijinPunch :)

I found an interesting interview of Mihara and top players about DDP-DOJ before the PS2 release. it was in famitsu.

I'm not good enough at english to translate it as you do, so if it is of any interest...

here is the links

http://www.famitsu.com/game/serial/2003 ... 0,0,0.html
http://www.famitsu.com/game/serial/2003 ... 7,0,0.html
http://www.famitsu.com/game/serial/2003 ... 3,0,0.html

by the way it's not a short interview... :wink:
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Yeah, I saw this a long time ago.... well, a few months ago. Never ruled it out, but wanted to do developer stuff first. :) Mihara's weird style of talking (sometimes aimlessly) will no doubt pose a challenge.
lmn4096

Post by lmn4096 »

Yep I understand what you mean about "Mihara's weird style of talking" :D

it's an interesting interview, and it give some good understanding on how Mihara was trying his best to convince Cave's commercial to port their shmups to console. :p
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Coincidental all this Raizing talk of late with Ibara coming out.
Treasure vs. Raizing Interview Translation

Details in the original post.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

That was a real pleasure, I love Iuchi. Thank you for doing these.
Ord

Post by Ord »

Superb work again GP. Your the shmups.com man of the year in my book! :P
Bishamon

Post by Bishamon »

Extreme coolness.

I love the 'Treasure vs Raizing' interview!
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

Great interview, thanks GP. In your comments:
-I've not put in much time on Radiant Silvergun, but Galaxian's pea shooter is the last thing I would compare any RS gun to. If anyone can elaborate, please do.
He means the single vulcan shot when you just tap the button, to pick off individual enemies.
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Does it really "look/feel" like the shot in Galaxian though? Maybe it's just me. :)
GaijinPunch

Post by GaijinPunch »

Snipped from the updated first thread.

2005/07/10
The Man who Made Guwange and ESPRade
A very long interview with Junya Inoue (Joker Jun) found in Continue Volume 6. Dumb luck that I found this. Continue is a pretty obscure magazine... pretty hip actually, when compared to Famitsu.

This is the only thing I could find that's even close to a Guwange developer interview. I'd say this is the most interesting translation to date, as it focuses on one person instead of one game, and covers the many things he worked on, not only at Toaplan, but also at Cave and even his manga after leaving Cave. There's even a brief mention of Gazelle.

I thought of making this a 2-parter due to length. I probably should have which would've made the editing easier (and more accurate I'm afraid). It didn't have a good cut off point though. So, grab some popcorn and have a good read.
RegalSin wrote:New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

:D . Really good read.
8 1/2

Post by 8 1/2 »

Wow, how did I miss this thread until now? I must have been in a trance. Incredible stuff. Parts of Outzone's code still being used? Madness. Thanks so much.
FULL LOCK is BOMB