Pink Gorilla U-District in Seattle - Shmupmeet 10/02 @ 2pm!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
bobbyconover

Re: Shmups on location in Seattle @ Pink Gorilla (U-District)

Post by bobbyconover »

Looks like I'm not going to be able to get it set up tonight after all (need to take a sudden, urgent trip to Canada tonight) but I'll set it up ASAP and let you guys know when it's good to go. Sorry about that!
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

I will be in there tomorrow sometime. Yeah! Never played Espgaluda II before but I am really looking forward to trying it out. Also looking forward to going for that stupid RFJ 1cc.
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

bobbyconover wrote:Looks like I'm not going to be able to get it set up tonight after all (need to take a sudden, urgent trip to Canada tonight) but I'll set it up ASAP and let you guys know when it's good to go. Sorry about that!
No worries, have a safe trip
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

Good news guys, Espgaluda II is up and running!

http://www.pinkgorillagames.com/pink_go ... spga_1.php
ExitPlanetDust

Post by ExitPlanetDust »

Awesome awesome thread. I commend you.

I know I'm late to the discussion but I wanted to offer my 2 cents.

Fighting games - I would suggest signing up on Shoryuken.com and posting information in the PNW section they have. You can generate buzz and find out what kind of parts they prefer in their fighting cabs. Here in Austin, people seem to prefer Sanwa buttons and sticks.

Pricing - Here in Austin we have UFO. it appears to be in a similar location to PG. It's near, but not on, a large college campus (University of Texas). They charge anywhere from .25 to $1, depending on the age and popularity of the games. If an expensive game draws a lot of play they will lower the price.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

He's got MvC2 which Bobby says does pretty well (there are hobo's panhandling right outside PG with signs like "Need quarters for MvC2") It's at $.50 IIRC, and he's considering getting another fighter to attract that following.

We were considering games like Third Strike or Blazblue; I'm sure SRK could help us out much more in that regard.
marus

Post by marus »

Just tried out the Espgaluda II cab today. Really liking it, I actually want to learn how the scoring system works now that there's an arcade to play at. I'm a little sad that tetris is gone though (not that I played it, but it was fun watching others play it).

I again recommend posting on SRK if you want to get more fighting games. Also, if you get BlazBlue, make sure to get BBCS, seeing as CT is pretty much dead in the competitive scene.
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

Hey guys, just a heads-up in case anyone was planning on coming down this weekend. The shmup cabs have actually been pulled for the weekend to be part of the PG booth at Sakuracon. Hopefully this will help promote the arcade!

As for fighting games, I'm definitely interested but am kinda putting them on the back-burner for the moment while we figure out what we're doing with a lot of other half-complete games that we already have. We definitely want to embrace that scene ultimately, but it might be a couple of months before I can dive into it in earnest. I'll definitely post on SRK when I start getting more serious about it!

Also about TGM, it's not necessarily gone for good, but that PCB was a loaner and was earning worse than anything else in the arcade, so we decided it was time to pull it until such time as we might be able to get a newer/flashier version like Terror Instinct. I'd love to ultimately give it a slot, but with only 4 candy cabs, every one of them has to have a pretty solid earning PCB in it or it's a bit of a waste. Hopefully I can find more of them before too long and will be able to give more oddball games (including some personal favorites) a shot.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

heh I just came in not too long ago and wondered where the cabs went. I guess its silly to assume you'd move them on the same day of the con. Well if you need any help or just wanna hang at this thing give me a holler :D

Is my uber arcade play up on youtube yet? :roll:
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

EPS21 wrote:heh I just came in not too long ago and wondered where the cabs went. I guess its silly to assume you'd move them on the same day of the con. Well if you need any help or just wanna hang at this thing give me a holler :D

Is my uber arcade play up on youtube yet? :roll:
As a matter of fact, it is! I totally forgot to mention that!

Here are the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI2W8eid1LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyDzye_mV6g
marus

Post by marus »

Bump for love! The new bubble bobble clone freaks me out. It's addictive though. I'm also liking the neo geo cab! I'm guessing not many people were playing Twinkle Star Sprites though? Kind of a shame, but Metal Slug 3 is a good game too. Too bad I suck at it.

Also, it was fun being able to play at Sakuracon, and meet some fellow shmuppers. Hopefully PG continues to build publicity.
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

marus wrote:Bump for love! The new bubble bobble clone freaks me out. It's addictive though. I'm also liking the neo geo cab! I'm guessing not many people were playing Twinkle Star Sprites though? Kind of a shame, but Metal Slug 3 is a good game too. Too bad I suck at it.

Also, it was fun being able to play at Sakuracon, and meet some fellow shmuppers. Hopefully PG continues to build publicity.
Thanks! Yeah, I was hoping you guys weren't too freaked out by the sudden disappearance of Feveron. Just remember that nothing is set in stone and this is all very experimental for now. Basically the reason I swapped those two cabinets into Puzzle Fighter and Twinkle Star Sprites was to try to appeal more to anime fans at the convention. In the end they only made half of what the shmups did! When I brought them back I didn't have time to swap the monitor back to vertical for Fever SOS, and on top of that I had noticed its earnings taking a nosedive, so I figured I'd just pull the Twinkle Star (which was a loaner from a friend) and put in something tried and true like Metal Slug to see how it does. Ultimately we'd like to have a dedicated 4-slot upright or candy, but this is all I have for now! As for Diet Go-Go.. I just kinda wanted to see how people would react to weird obscurities like that. So far people seem to be liking it! I'm thinking about keeping that cab as a constantly rotating slot for wacky games most people have never heard of. Maybe we can even make it a feature.. "Be sure to check in every other week to see what new weird game is here!" or whatever. I'm pretty much just throwing a lot of ideas out there right now and seeing what sticks. :)

In other news, this might not excite the shmup players as much, but I just picked up a big load of games that should really fill out the place once the back wall comes down. I ended up with several showcase cabs, a dual-seat driver, a Drum Mania and a Police 911. Should be interesting to see how they do once we get them all set up.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

bobbyconover wrote:In other news, this might not excite the shmup players as much, but I just picked up a big load of games that should really fill out the place once the back wall comes down. I ended up with several showcase cabs, a dual-seat driver, a Drum Mania and a Police 911. Should be interesting to see how they do once we get them all set up.
Was that from that one sale at narrows or something not too long ago? I met Bill there the other day and told me about it, I wanted to go but forgot the exact date and time of it unfortunately. That's cool you got some more stuff though, shmup wise or not, when's that back wall gonna come down? That place is gonna become a full fledged place to rival other arcades in this region (not that hard to do around here though lol).

I got the ALL on galudaII recently, can't wait to come by again and put it on the PCB up there :D
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Just out of idle curiosity... are the scores that were on the PCB when I sent it over still there?

I'll need to stop by if I'm ever in the area!
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

StarCreator wrote:Just out of idle curiosity... are the scores that were on the PCB when I sent it over still there?

I'll need to stop by if I'm ever in the area!
Are you the one who sold that board to Bobby then? I though he bought it from Gwyrgyn Blood. There's some 200mil+ scores on just Tateha for the machine record iirc
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Yeah, it was my PCB, but some of the scores (DAN) are Gwyrgyn's, most of them placed just to test it out when I first received it.
marus

Post by marus »

I told Gabe about this today, but I figured I'd post in here too. The shot button on the 1-player side on the Espgaluda II cab is going out, or something. As in, if you just hold the button down, you'll occasionally stop shooting for a second randomly.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

marus wrote:I told Gabe about this today, but I figured I'd post in here too. The shot button on the 1-player side on the Espgaluda II cab is going out, or something. As in, if you just hold the button down, you'll occasionally stop shooting for a second randomly.
I kinda noticed that too last time I was there. I guess its just not me then. Personally I'd like to see some seimitsu parts in there instead while Bobby's at it :mrgreen:
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

Hey guys, I swapped out that button a few days ago so hopefully all should be good now. If not please let me know and I'll look into whether it's a wiring issue or what. I couldn't replicate the issue myself (even on the old button) so it's hard to tell. Sorry it took so long, but I haven't checked this thread in a while and the message never made it to me from the PG staff!

By the way, by some miracle, the Espgaluda 1 PCB I bought 5 months ago through (bidding service) Rinkya arrived a couple of days ago. They had told me that the seller was unresponsive and that my money had basically been thrown away, so I assumed it was a total bust, but amazingly out of nowhere it showed up. I wasn't sure what to do with it now that I have the Espgaluda II -- should I swap it in for a while?
marus

Post by marus »

You could always buy another cab and run them both next to each other :D
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

Hey Bobby, glad to hear from you. That's sweet you got EspGaluda, but it's too bad you already have ESP2 running. It wouldn't make much sense to have them both there together (unless your a big shmups fan). Maybe you could swap them and see if ESP earns more than ESP2, just for an experiment. See if people prefer the old school graphics or the new shinny stuff
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
marus

Post by marus »

I was playing some EspII yesterday, and unfortunately it seems that the problem with the shot button is still there. It might have something to do with the wiring. I'm surprised to hear that you weren't able to replicate the problem. When I play I can't get past the first stage without it happening (maybe I should also mention that this is with the default control scheme).
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

marus wrote:I was playing some EspII yesterday, and unfortunately it seems that the problem with the shot button is still there. It might have something to do with the wiring. I'm surprised to hear that you weren't able to replicate the problem. When I play I can't get past the first stage without it happening (maybe I should also mention that this is with the default control scheme).
I'm pretty sure focus shot/laser (button1) is the same on both control settings. Glad to hear its already been taken care of though.

I came by at around 9pm yesterday on sat 6/5 and the store was closed, aren't you guys normally open till 11? It made me a sad panda, me and my bro went to gameworks instead
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

Great you actually got that Galuda 1 PCB finally. To see the two games running side by side would be fuckin ace. HEY level quality even. Even if its just for like a week or two
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

EPS21 wrote:I came by at around 9pm yesterday on sat 6/5 and the store was closed, aren't you guys normally open till 11? It made me a sad panda, me and my bro went to gameworks instead
UGH. Apparently there was a meeting the other night where everyone suddenly decided that they should go back to closing at 9pm on Fri/Sat, despite the fact that every Friday I've been there (every one since we started the arcade) it has done great. The problem is that their console sales slow to a crawl from 9-11, and since we don't have specific data for arcade earnings during that time period, it looks dead (on paper) to the guy who owns the store. He is, of course, never actually there in person to see for himself that it's not.

Anyway, the way it was described to me the issue was still yet to be decided upon, yet the guy who closes on Saturday has already started doing so at 9. The night before (Fri), I sat there writing down every coin drop that I saw from 9-11 and it all added up to pretty significant earnings. I still believe they could make money selling some kind of food and drink at night, also, but they seem uninterested in doing that. This whole operation is incredibly frustrating to say the least -- I'm really sorry that it screwed up your Saturday night but I don't know what to tell you at this point. All I can say is that if I ran the place (and I'm tempted to start one more and more each day, so you never know) I would not just suddenly change the hours on a whim without making some kind of announcement or posting it somewhere. When stuff like this happens it's a huge embarrassment to me because I know people think I'm directly connected to PG, but in fact I have no voice at all when it comes to these kinds of matters. I pretty much just put my games in there, fix them when they break, and collect the quarters once a week. We were supposed to make all kinds of other great things happen (high score competitions/tournaments, tearing down the back wall for much more space, many more) and basically it comes down to me pushing for them practically every day while everyone at PG ignores me. It sucks.

Anyway, as for Esp 1/2 -- I'm working on a stand-alone Neo-Geo cabinet right now, and it should be ready in the near future. Once that's running, I can pull Metal Slug 3 from the second Astro City and I'll most likely do the side-by-side Espgaluda cabs for a while. :)

Oh, and I fixed the button thing again -- a wire came loose but I'm confident it's attached for good now!
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

I can understand them not being interested in serving food/drinks; its a hassle, and food = mess potentially on cabs, and given that area, there are 3487987 other bubble tea/cafe's in there anyways. If a business can do without the side revenue of the food route that's most desirable.

Don't worry about it too much, I think its pretty fortunate they let you do this in the first place while they foot the rent. I already know your situation with them so of course I'm gonna be blaming PG, especially if they don't update their hours on their website beforehand, but for others who don't I imagine it can be pretty frustrating. None of these are your fault so no need to apologize.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

Thread revival!

Go and play some Dodonpachi DAIOUJOU and Tenkomori Shooting, now on location at Pink Gorilla.
marus

Post by marus »

KevinDDR wrote:Dodonpachi DAIOUJOU
I love you.

Wait, they didn't replace the Espgaluda cab, did they? I was still playing that...
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

is this related to the pink gorilla in the international district?
going to pax, wanted to check it out.
is it worth my time???? thanks
marus

Post by marus »

Waah, they did replace the Espgaluda cab! I guess my score will have to stay at a measly 23mil for now :(
Oh well, I've been meaning to learn how to play the Dodonpachi games, so this will be a good opportunity.
kid aphex wrote:is this related to the pink gorilla in the international district?
going to pax, wanted to check it out.
is it worth my time???? thanks
If you're in the area, then I'd say it's worth your time considering how few arcades outside of Japan support shooters. Right now they have Dodonpachi Daioujou (White Label), Raiden Fighters Jet, Strikers 1945 Plus, and Tenkomori Shooting (not really a shmup, but has shmup minigames).