NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ave

Re: New Neo Geo / Dreamcast Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by ave »

rancor wrote:
Battletoad wrote:Sometimes I got another 1UP from destroying a joker, that was in stage 4 if I remember correctly. But I have no idea how it is triggered..
As I'm not playing the game right now, I cant remember specifically but this joker is triggered by completely destroying a wave of the larger ships that make a momentary appearance. Once they are all destroyed, you must then get the joker. If you wait too long the large ships fly away and you lose your chance.
You can get two extra lives from jokers in total. If you get a life or not does always depend on your found secrets. Find them all and you get 1 bonus life in stage 3 and one in stage 4 (right before the midboss) if you destroy the joker.
THE ETERNAL
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

How long does it take to ship this game?! I've been waiting for over a week since the posted shipped status has changed! I selected DHL 3-6 days. I emailed Timm and no response :/
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

IDruggedShamu wrote:How long does it take to ship this game?! I've been waiting for over a week since the posted shipped status has changed! I selected DHL 3-6 days. I emailed Timm and no response :/
EDIT: Try sending RHE a PM on this board. He's on here frequently.
SWY: Games are just for fun
Battletoad

Post by Battletoad »

I posted my impressions on Fast Striker on my new blog in not quite short. Those who still don't know if Fast Striker is worth a purchase might want to read them. It's almost review-like, but I feel like I've just not exhausted the game enough yet. Still need/want to improve a lot, especially in Maniac. Something to save for later though.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Fast Striker is out for iOS, just $5 too.

GET!

http://itunes.faststriker.com/
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

how the hell hadn't I heard of this before
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Sweeeet 8)

I didn´t follow the original release of this game and only played it for ten minutes now, but so far I really like what I´m seeing. Four modes that all seem to have seperate scoring systems is already awesome. The whole style reminds me a lot of Iridion II/Nanostray - chunky prerendered graphics, upbeat chiptunes in the style of the homecomputer era, and nice bullet design. So far I had no idea what I was doing, but I can see myself sinking a lot of time into this.

I hope this does well, and maybe you guys will also port Dux and Last Hope? I can imagine especially Dux doing well, with its very unique graphics, making it easy to see on the rather small iPhone/iPod screen. (By the way, I like that I can choose between a smaller and a bigger screen size here, I love the big one graphicswise but the smaller one is easier to play with.)

And actually, the first time I saw this game was in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUU5WOdwK1w
I really enjoy this guys relaxed reviewing style.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
chempop

Post by chempop »

Just gave each mode on the iOS version a few credits, definitely a fun game, and adjusted to suit the touch controls fine. Was there a way to shoot backwards in the arcade version? Doesn't look like you can in this one.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

No, there doesn´t seem to be any option to do so, which is weird since there´s a later boss that attacks you from below.

Overall I´m quite enjoying this game. Some stages are better than other - I REALLY love the space stage, with the giant missiles, and the very cool boss, followed by that ridiculous box stage. At least the boxes don´t kill you, but suddenly there´s so much going on onscreen that I just pray to get out of there alive.

Another odd thing is that Original mode is somehow way easier than Novice mode, since you only have a very narrow shot in the latter, making it much harder to kill enemies on the sides, forcing you to move around a lot more, especially due to the horizontal orientation, while in Original the shot is much wider.

On the plus side, the music is very nice, the game plays very smoothly and the touch controls work flawlessly. It reminds me a lot of a PC Engine shmup.

One thing I would really wish for is the option to have a visible hitbox - the ship especially in Original is very mute colored, and sometimes (especially in that box stage) the different effects just overlap so much that I lose track of where I actually am. Some of the dodges are also really tight, and having a glowing orb as your hitbox (kinda like in recent Cave games) that lays above all other effects would really help. The bullets are easy to see, so maybe using one of the bullet sprites (with a different color) as a hitbox indicator would work well.
THE BULLETS ARE NOW DIAMONDS!
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

chempop wrote:Just gave each mode on the iOS version a few credits, definitely a fun game, and adjusted to suit the touch controls fine. Was there a way to shoot backwards in the arcade version? Doesn't look like you can in this one.
Yes you can shoot backwards in the NG, DC versions.
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

Is. It just me... Or is original mode moving Hella fast compared to the DC ver? Maybe it's the illusion created by autofire, but man, I feel overwhelmed playing on IOS....

Guess it takes some getting used to. Anyone else feel the same way?
rancor

Re: NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by rancor »

Spotted another flyer set yesterday in Akihabara - These things were quite literally everywhere in the store I was in.. They're heavily promoting F.S. :mrgreen:

Necronom

Post by Necronom »

@Rancor
Hehe, thanks for sharing...first time I see a videogame promoted by "Made in Germany"...usually it's "Banned in Germany" :lol:
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Fast Striker iOS is now $0.99 for a month.

Not a huge deal but still a dick move. Definitely won't be buying any more of their iOS games unless they are dirt cheap.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
genetik

Post by genetik »

brentsg wrote:Fast Striker iOS is now $0.99 for a month.

Not a huge deal but still a dick move. Definitely won't be buying any more of their iOS games unless they are dirt cheap.
Just saw. I feel like a sucker buying it on launch day, 4 days ago at 5 times the price. If they put out a separate ipad version at an even higher price, I'll be really pissed.
"When a madman appears thoroughly sane, indeed, it is high time to put him in a strait-jacket."
Edgar A. Poe
mesh control

Post by mesh control »

meh, it's worth the five bucks, IMO.
lol
louisg

Post by louisg »

I just got this a couple days ago for iPod. It's neat-- I haven't sunk a lot of time into it, but I'm enjoying it a lot more than their previous game. I can also see why it would be very cool for Neo Geo fans: Mars Matrix on your Neo!

So, did they drop it to 99 cents after it only being out for a few days? That is pretty odd/dickish. The first time I heard about the iOS version it was already 99 cents!
Humans, think about what you have done
Denova

Post by Denova »

I think ipods will die out oo. Why should we buy something with less functionality?
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

OH SHIT I BOUGHT A FUCKING PHONE OR TABLET FOR HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS BUT I CAN'T BE ARSED TO SUPPORT AN INDEPENDENT DEVELOPER WITH 4$!
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

Denova wrote:I think ipods will die out oo. Why should we buy something with less functionality?
What-like the Dreamcast and PS2?
And yeah it's cool to support indie devs with your spare change (I've been trying to buy Gridrunner++ but they won't even take my money eh?) and certainly under a tenner it makes sense, but there's no point in supporting substandard products just for the sake of it.
I spent £10= on Strania/Side Vower and it's superb but some of that Red Spot stuff is £30 for shit that's simply inferior. But then again there's all that argument about paying more as an investment in future games.But then again...
Treasurance

Post by Treasurance »

Denova wrote:I think ipods will die out oo. Why should we buy something with less functionality?
because it costs more than a half less? This "less functionality" is just half the RAM and a sucky camera, and everyone has a phone already
louisg

Post by louisg »

Treasurance wrote:
because it costs more than a half less? This "less functionality" is just half the RAM and a sucky camera, and everyone has a phone already
Yeah, I got one as a gift, but I probably wouldn't have gone for an iPhone anyway: my carrier doesn't support it, it's way more expensive from month to month than my current phone plan (afaik), the phone itself is way more expensive, and this is perfect for whipping out to play a quick game of Sword of Fargoal or Road Blaster as stuff compiles!
Humans, think about what you have done
THE

Post by THE »

*shameless bump*
While you guys are buying Deathsmiles iOS why not purchase Fast Striker iOS too?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fast-str ... ?mt=8&ls=1

It's only $2.99

:mrgreen:
The future is 2D
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Personally I'm still using my 80GB iPod because they haven't made anything better since then (apart from the 160gb version).
I don't give a rats ass about all that stuff an iPhone does when all I want is listen to music - so I want a not-too-expensive MP3 player with more than 80gb (because I've been seriously lacking space on my iPod the past couple of years) and at least 24 hours battery life. I don't want a phone. Apple should really make a new ACTUAL iPod, but I doubt it would ever happen. Hell, I'm not even seeing it coming from any other manufacturer.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

THE wrote:*shameless bump*
While you guys are buying Deathsmiles iOS why not purchase Fast Striker iOS too?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fast-str ... ?mt=8&ls=1

It's only $2.99

:mrgreen:
I already did ;P

Would you consider adding an optional Cave-ish control style?
The movements you have to make are way too far for my taste.
That way the finger is blocking the view more often.
rancor

Post by rancor »

I agree - please do something about the movement scheme. This game is amazing on DC, but kinda "meh" on the iphone. Only because of the controls.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Decided to resurrect this Fast Striker thread:

Is it possible to upgrade an LE MVS version of Fast Striker into an proper arcade MVS version with the "Insert Coin" & proper crediting necessary to "coin it up" to play it instead of the usual "Press Start" associated with the LE MVS carts of FS?

Plus, I've noticed that it's updateable via handy USB port as well (but requires the cart to be opened up to do so).

I understand on a typical MVS cart, you'd flick a switch on the dip switch setting to enable "Free Play" mode, of course. Whereas with the LE MVS FS, it's set on "Free Play" all the time.

How many of the arcade MVS carts of FS were produced?
And how many of the LE MVS carts of FS were produced?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

I have no idea PC Engine Fan....

I have my own question though.... is there a dfference in the 1st print and the newly "Reprint" of Fast Striker? I have an LE 1st print that is still sealed, but if something has been changed in the reprint, I'd like to pick it up since NG Dev has it listed for 19 EUR currently... Anyone know?
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It doesn't look like there's a difference between the original pressing of the regular edition and this reprint. The DC was already "version 1.5". From the page, it uses the regular edition artwork which is different to the limited edition artwork.

It's not in stock until April though - I'm guessing they're getting them pressed alongside Gunlord.
IDruggedShamu

-

Post by IDruggedShamu »

-
Last edited by IDruggedShamu on Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.