NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
CIT

NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by CIT »

As reported in German gaming mag M!Games NG:DEV Team (Last Hope) are to release a new Neo Geo shoot 'em up called Fast Striker in Q3 2010.
  • - Game will be released for MVS and distributed to arcades. Further there will be a cheaper "consumer MVS" version with forced freeplay.

- It will be vertically scrolling, with horizontal screen.

- Scoring system will be Dodonpachi-esque chaining with a counter that discharges into a large laser with multiplier.

- Apparently there will be three different game modes to choose from. (?)

- Game uses 1024 Megs for graphics, with animated backgrounds at 60fps.
Preview:

Last edited by CIT on Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emphatic

Re: New Neo Geo Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by emphatic »

Looks very interesting. Can't wait to see some in-game videos. This might be my first purchase of an NG:DEV product.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
pixeljunkie

Post by pixeljunkie »

wonder why they are sitting in front of cabs when they probably have NO interest in releasing this on MVS? [in other words, believe it when I see it] Is that a direct translation? from the article?

also, they'd be my hero if they actually made a vert Neo game.
Last edited by pixeljunkie on Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

CIT wrote:Game will be released for MVS and distributed to arcades. Further there will be a cheaper "consumer MVS" version with forced freeplay.
can't you read pixel?
pixeljunkie

Post by pixeljunkie »

Jonny wrote:
CIT wrote:Game will be released for MVS and distributed to arcades. Further there will be a cheaper "consumer MVS" version with forced freeplay.
can't you read pixel?
yes, I was saying I don't believe it. I never believe print...in German.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

pixeljunkie wrote:
Jonny wrote:
can't you read pixel?
yes, I was saying I don't believe it. I never believe print...in German.
no you weren't saying it, you are saying it now.
pixeljunkie

Post by pixeljunkie »

Jonny wrote:Oh, I see what you mean. You are very smart and handsome. My mistake.
No worries, i forgive you.
kernow

Post by kernow »

1024 megs eh? that won't just be for graphics, also I thought the limit was around 720 mbits.

it'd actually be really cool if someone made a vertical shooter on MVS that required a tated monitor.
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

lol- another MVS shooter? I am still several behind as it is haha.

Would make me happy to see the most recent updated version of their last one on MVS as well.

(on a side note- a 'consumer MVS version? What kind of logic made them come up with that?)
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
Dragoforce

Post by Dragoforce »

Remembering the price of the AES last hope.... :cry:
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

What? A vertizontal in space?

WHAT COULD THIS MEAN?!

Maybe a Rayforce clone? :P
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Strike has to be the most overused word in shmup names.

I'm curious on how NG:DEV will handle a vertical. MVS-only for now? I can wait. :D
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I think I like the look of those magazine scans, although I can't read any of the text, Alpha Mission II was the first thing that came to mind, which I liked quite a bit. Unfortunately I don't own a Neo Geo, I wonder if there will be a Dreamcast port later.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I admit to being curious, I do like my MVS shmups and one more good one would be nice to have. "Consumer MVS version with forced freeplay" does sound weird. I'm guessing they'll try to sell the game to both arcades and home users, with the latter version being cheaper, and the forced freeplay is there in order to discourage arcade operators from buying the more affordable version. Are there really enough arcades with interest towards the game to justify such a move?

@NG:DEV - please get the game right the first time so that there won't be n revisions of it. Consult your local shmuppers. Please provide vids.

And if somebody could translate that article, that'd be nice.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Awesomeness, they are using the term "vertizontal" in the article!
I'll translate the whole article later.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Plasmo wrote:I'll translate the whole article later.
Good man. 8)
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
ncp

Post by ncp »

- Scoring system will be Dodonpachi-esque chaining
Manly.
harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n »

Wait for Dreamcast release?
Eppur si muove...
apple arcade

Post by apple arcade »

sounds awesome, too bad I don't own a Neo Geo

DREAMCAST PORT!
MathU

Post by MathU »

CIT wrote:Scoring system will be Dodonpachi-esque chaining
LOL, stopped reading right there.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Here's the main article first, will do the interview later.

„Fast Striker“ is a vertical shooter, made by NG:DEV.TEAM, in which the background scrolls from top to bottom. It’s designed for the usual 4:3 aspect ratio, the special term for this is “vertizontal”. As we could see during playtesting, the game's system is based on classics like “Strikers 45”, “DoDonPachi” and “Ikaruga”, but doesn’t quite reach the perfection of those. While you are fighting for pure survival in “Original”-Mode, you have to build up a chain in “Maniac”-Mode and have to score with colour combinations in “Color”-Mode. It’s a nice feeling to exclusively reveal a new title, especially if it’s one for the Neo-Geo. The developer SNK, has abandoned the 16bit system about 6 years ago, but Timm and René Hellwig don’t care about that. After their first horizontal game “Last Hope” (2006), the brothers from Hannover present their second shooter “Fast Striker” for this rather old system. A shooter, that has potential to be an international success. With SNK Playmore as a publisher, the two developers are planning to bring the shooter to the last arcades of this world. At this time SNK Playmore didn’t give their OK yet.
Apart from that, it looks like the two developers learned from their mistakes of their first game and so the new maxim is “Reward instead of Punishment”. Casual gamers now have the chance, thanks to the selectable difficult settings, to see more than just the first stage. “In the past we thought that checkpoints were necessary for a good gamedesign”, Timm admits. “Later I realized that this was nonsense and that you don’t need such thing at all.” There’s a complex scoringsystem to keep players motivated.
The rendered background graphics of “Fast Striker” rush by with 60 frames per second, while dozens of colourful bullets keep the player busy. Taking a glance under the hood proves it: the gorgeous visuals are indeed only produced by a Neo Geo MVS. More than any other game, “Fast Striker” uses everything the system has to offer technically. Only in the sixth and last level, slowdowns and graphical glitches appear. “That’s what we’re currently working on”, René comments. One can be excited about it - the finished product will be released around mid 2010.
Last edited by Plasmo on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Zeether

Post by Zeether »

Remember guys, understand a game's concept first. :lol:
<Aquas> EDMOND DROPPED OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL TO SMOKE COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OPIUM
<Zeether> shoe failed college again <croikle> credit feed
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

Looks cool so far.
And fuck the bashers.
Seriously.
There's a developer that still makes Neogeo / Dreamcast games, even listening to the complaints of the gamers, and still people bash the new game, even though they have never even seen the new game in motion.

I mean if it's out and it sucks, fine - bash it all you want.
But all this bitching way before the game is even playable for the public is just annoying as hell.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Certianly has piqued my curiosity. Hope it shows up in a version I can actually play (I do not own a Neo Geo).
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Make it a TATE game and i'm interested. Surely the tagline "Worlds first TATE MVS game" is worth it alone?

Although Strikers 1945 plus is one of my favourite shooters, there are limitations to the whole vertizontal set up. Bullets have to move slower because you don't have any reaction time due to the extreme short sightedness of height on the screen. Since the MVS system has never attempted such a feat, I would imagine the game would sell more on curiosity alone. Especially since more shooters in this day and age are in the vertical TATE domain.

Just my 2 cents.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
kernow

Post by kernow »

Theres no chance playmore are going to publish this either.
nZero

Post by nZero »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Make it a TATE game and i'm interested. Surely the tagline "Worlds first TATE MVS game" is worth it alone?

Although Strikers 1945 plus is one of my favourite shooters, there are limitations to the whole vertizontal set up. Bullets have to move slower because you don't have any reaction time due to the extreme short sightedness of height on the screen. Since the MVS system has never attempted such a feat, I would imagine the game would sell more on curiosity alone. Especially since more shooters in this day and age are in the vertical TATE domain.

Just my 2 cents.
The still nearly ubiquitous Neo*Geo cabinets aren't set up to deal with a TATE'd monitor. You'd have to stick a 1-slot MVS into a dedicated cab, which removes a lot of the desirability for operators who were just planning on pulling Aero Fighters 3 out of the ol' 4-slot and slapping this in its place next to King of Fighters 98, Samurai Shodown II and Metal Slug 3.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Are you serious? I haven't seen a Neo Geo cabinet take a penny in ages.

Your right though, MVS multi's will not be an option if the game is TATE, but since I have a 1 slot and i'm a consumer I think the game would be best served vertical. As a hori game, this game poses no interest to me. If they want to do hori, there should be an option to flip the game on its side.

If a Dreamcast port is planned, then even more reason to make it TATE. I don't really see any arcades buying this to make money, its purely there as a cheap option for arcade operators. I doubt a dedicated MVS cabinet CRT still has any brightness left in it to do the game justice.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

The first thing I asked these devs when they mentioned an MVS release was "please make it TATE" etc, but that wasn't even a consideration. And now as there's already a "press release", it's too late. If the game is at least as fun as "Do-Donpachi 2 - Bee Storm" for the PGM I'll probably end up buying this. I wonder why none of the brothers have shown up in this thread yet?
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

People are within their right to do what they want to do. However, it is us that will buy the game that will support future endeavors. If what we want and what they want don't cross then thats less sales. I believe we are already at that point where quite a big % of the shmups community are already disappointed in the artistic direction of this game.

However, I suppose there is room for us to be wrong.