NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
david peterson
Banned User

Re: New Neo Geo / Dreamcast Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by david peterson »

emphatic wrote:
david peterson wrote:total ass
Please define. I consider myself an ass-man myself, so this is sorta interesting.
:lol: basically the same as running either mars matrix or how the sprites from capcom vs snk 2 look running through VGA slightly cropped playing area and pixelated sprites. I dont really understand the tech side but can someone roughly explain to me why mame can get 320/240 games to look fantastic on a 1080+ pc res setup but nothing is done or applied to have the same effect for low res running at 640x480 console output?
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

I've ordered the Fast Striker Double Bundle and a package turned up today with only the LE Version and three stickers?!!!

-are the LE and the ordinary version shipping together?- or has there been a mistake made with my order? When will I get the ordinary version?!!

I've emailed the 'contact us' on the website..... just waiting for a reply...

as an update- got an email back -my missing copy is on the way! Yeeeeha
Last edited by NAVVARR on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Hair

Post by Hair »

I got my DC copy of Fast Strikers today. Been playing it for several hours. It's very fun in every diffilculty mode, is fun to "improv", and seems like it will be fun to memorize as well. It's a welcome addition to the DC shooter library, and I love the fact that it is verizonal. I hope NGDT does more games for the DC. I think FS is as good as many of the respected doujin danmaku PC games.

While I have cursed Last Hope and Dux many times, it's cool to have a solid doujin team making games for the DC, and their 3 games so far have shown some good variety and improvement. I also think Last Hope and Dux are welcome additions to the DC library, which lacks old school horizontal shooters.

I know I sound like I am riding NGDT's pole, but until I played FS today I was expecting to be disappointed. I am still kind of on the fence about Last Hope and Dux. Sometimes I have fun playing them, and other times am disgusted. FS is solid through and through. But I'm more of a danmaku fan then Gradius/R-Type descendants.

I think Last Hope and Dux get some negitive reviews solely because they are so unforgiving, which for hard core players is a good thing. They are just too hard core for me I guess.

Their AES love is really cool too, but I don't own one, so I'm just hoping for more DC or even PC material from them.
That's so Raiden
Hair

Post by Hair »

After more playing, I would put it up there with Mars Matrix (another great DC verizonal). Played some more Dux and Last Hope as well, and I think FS is easily their best game yet. I just can't get a hang of Dux even after 20 hours in the last few months. Bullet visability (and background contrast) in FS is high, while it is low in LH and Dux.

Sorry for double post, my first post didn't show after 24 hours and then popped up.
Last edited by Hair on Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
That's so Raiden
RHE

Post by RHE »

Here's a unboxing and gameplay video from gagaman: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjvGe4MzpHk

He's obviously no hardcore shmup player but still its a nice vid. :)
Hair

Post by Hair »

Playing more FS....

The way the point items line up when you are not holding down your primary fire button reminds me of Endless Nightmare, an obscure German Dreamcast homebrew shooter. In Endless Nightmare you have to fire a special beam to line up the point and power-up items, but this minor aspect feels similar in FS. Of course Endless Nightmare is anti-danmaku and even has limited ammo for your main weapon, so FS is not a copy in any way, but since both are doujin Dreamcast games from Germany I wonder if Endless Nightmare gave some inspiration to FS.
That's so Raiden
THE

Post by THE »

Deleted for the sake of sanity
Last edited by THE on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The future is 2D
david peterson
Banned User

Post by david peterson »

I wrote about it with queries , but so far its been ignored.
rtw

Post by rtw »

THE wrote:Btw. the crappy DUX is not an NG:DEV.TEAM game!
Interesting, so who is behind KonTechs.Ltd ?
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Hair

Post by Hair »

@THE- Interesting. I thought Last Hope and Dux were both NGDT published games. I knew Hucast was a side project or something, but I obviously don't know the details. I don't mean to pry, but could you shed some light on the difference between NGDT and Hucast? Information online is pretty vague. I knew they were different dev teams, but are they different companies or publishers as well?

I do think of NGDT as beyond homebrew since you guys have great packaging, real arcade cabs, etc... You are a small scale, independant professional developer... but I don't think of homebrew as a bad thing either. I fully support Dreamcast homebrew... but the quality ranges from crap to top-quality. I don't think FS copies Endless Nightmare at all, but since it is a German DC game I thought you guys might be aware of it. The point items merging to a single lane is just a slight simularity. FS is definitly in a different league! But since you guys make games for "dead" hardware I think the link to the homebrew community is there, even if you guys attain a higher level of quality.

Hell, I think Kenta Cho/ABA is basically "homebrew" (I hate that term though), and his free Shmups are some of the best. games. ever. made. period.

BTW, I am a few beers in as well. Being a professional commercial brewer (not just a home brewer; I even hate that term when applied to brewing beer at home) has it's ups and downs. Hard work, and the pay sucks, but I get to bring home some of the beer I make, and it's not weak.
That's so Raiden
RHE

Post by RHE »

@david peterson
That's because we're just awaiting your world record breaking Fast Striker scores: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32143 :mrgreen:

slaps THE for calling DUX crappy
david peterson
Banned User

Post by david peterson »

RHE wrote:@david peterson
That's because we're just awaiting your world record breaking Fast Striker scores: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32143 :mrgreen:

No chance i wont be touching this one anymore , VGA is the only option i have and it looks terrible back to ketsui i go.
RHE

Post by RHE »

david peterson wrote:
RHE wrote:@david peterson

No chance i wont be touching this one anymore , VGA is the only option i have and it looks terrible back to ketsui i go.
:roll:

And people wonder why shmups are a niche genre.
david peterson
Banned User

Post by david peterson »

Because devs sell there product as VGA when really it isnt? :roll:
rtw

Post by rtw »

david peterson wrote:No chance i wont be touching this one anymore , VGA is the only option i have and it looks terrible back to ketsui i go.
I think you're being unfair, I'm running FS on a DELL P1130 Sony OEM 21" CRT Flat Screen Trinitron Pro Series
and it looks fantastic.

LCD is starting to come of age but the best is still a CRT for retrogaming.

May I suggest you read this:

http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/
http://scanlines.hazard-city.de/
Last edited by rtw on Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
RHE

Post by RHE »

I have no clue how a serious shmup player can avoid a CRT anyway. :?

Fast Striker is low res NeoGeo port afterall it should be clear from beginning that it doesn't look a clean as Border Down on VGA. On a CRT it will be fine, just like all other DC low res games. Technically the problem is the upscaling, when you have a TV with good upscaler (or an extra device for that) it will look better on a LCD.
jase25

Post by jase25 »

I've been saving my pennies for the MVS version, gutted its now sold out.

Whats the chances of the MVS version becoming available again in the future?
RHE

Post by RHE »

Chances are very good, you can keep yourself up to date on our twitter http://twitter.com/ngdevteam
As soon as we can announce anything about a re-stock we will put it there. :)
jase25

Post by jase25 »

Thats great news, I will keep an eye out for news of a re-stock. The game looks fantastic :D

Many thanks, Jase
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Only interested in MVS but I think last time I looked price was a bit high. I'd probably pay £200 but I suspect its much more than that.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

THE wrote:@Hair

We are a 100% NEOGEO/Arcade developer and have nothing todo with homebrew, nor would we ever take homebrew as an role model for anything but how it's not done.

I am personally a 100% Japanese Jamma connoisseur btw. so I wouldn't touch anything like that with a pole :P
You've piqued my curiosity here, because, well, quite honestly, Last Hope says "Hi".

What is your definition of "homebrew" and what in that definition do you dislike? Is it strictly what hardware is targeted?

Now, as you are an Arcade developer, I can understand your approach to game design (actually I fully believe in it). A game for the arcade requires certain necessary influences on game design, foremost being "the need to make money". This leads in the direction of the vague "hard enough that games are short, compelling enough that players keep putting in quarters." Time is money after all.

It's shooters that derive from arcade games that I personally like the most. However, there are still some very good free ones, written solely for the PC, such as the already mentioned Kenta Cho games, or Astro Ports free games (Sonic Ironstorm or Demolition Gunner) that share much of the design aesthetics of arcade shooters. There are even free ones like Linley's White Butterfly or Garden of Coloured Lights that, while not "arcade" in the sense I'm discussing, are excellent shooters and have absorbed a lot of play time from me.

I guess you're coming across as a little elitist. Am I misreading you here? You've certainly earned some right with Fast Striker, but you're also not yet at the point where "your shit has stopped stinking".

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog
david peterson
Banned User

Post by david peterson »

RHE wrote:I have no clue how a serious shmup player can avoid a CRT anyway. :?
hahahahahahah oh wow, cool no problem if thats your attitude you can count me out of supporting anything you do ever again . Seriously people need a reality check im not gonna go buy a crt just to play some doujin junk + why advertise as VGA compatible and not go into detail? all they had to do was say CRT would be best? Sorry guys but you are a joke .If anyone wants this copy i have for 5 quid send me a pm you can happily have it for its real value .
RHE

Post by RHE »

I never implied some should get a CRT for FS. I only find it's weird how a serious shmup player can avoid a CRT since most great shmups are low res imho. The game also works great on a VGA CRT just so you know - VGA does not imply LCD. The quality of a VGA LCD picture also depends on the quality of your built-in upscaler or external upscaler.

Besides the fact that CRTs a cheap to get anyway. (for some people it will be a matter of room though I get this)

To each their own.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

david peterson wrote:
hahahahahahah oh wow, cool no problem if thats your attitude you can count me out of supporting anything you do ever again . Seriously people need a reality check im not gonna go buy a crt just to play some doujin junk + why advertise as VGA compatible and not go into detail? all they had to do was say CRT would be best? Sorry guys but you are a joke .If anyone wants this copy i have for 5 quid send me a pm you can happily have it for its real value .

You made your own false expectations.
RHE is right in his reply to you.

Still waiting for my copy that I am gonna play without VGA on my -not so old- CRT. :|
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

david peterson wrote:
Translation: Hi there. I have a shitty HDTV made from LCD and did little to no homework before purchasing, simply presuming that there is no reason that the $300 K-Mart TV that I want to keep my budget limited to should not work perfectly as I expect. Therefore this game is a complete and utter piece of shit.
Hair

Post by Hair »

Dave Pete- A lot (repeat: A LOT) of DC games look like crap in VGA mode even though they support it, on ANY TV. That doesn't make them bad games. Using a DC in VGA mode without the ability to go to composite or S-Video seems like a bad idea. Do you really not have any RCA cables? The DC VGA box allows you to change from composite, to S-Video, to VGA at the flip of a switch. I'm sure your TV has inputs for all three, so you don't even need to swap cables or anything.

No offense to NGDT, but even thinking FS would or could look better in VGA seems silly. Is this the first DC game you've ever played in VGA? Try Marvel vs Capcom 2! Sometimes composite cables are actually better even when the game supports VGA. The developer never tells you which looks better or what type of TV to get because that is up for you to decide. It isn't that you need to get a CRT TV either. I run FS on an LCD TV and it looks great.... but there is no way I'd use a VGA box for it. I save that for Soul Calibur and Border Down.

I prefer fun bullet patterns and challenging enemies to high-tech graphics. FS is very fun to play, it's not a tech demo for some poser's HDTV like most new games are.

For the record I don't think Dux is crappy, but I think it caters to a very small sub-crowd of shmup fans. I don't think the level design, huge sprites, respawn points, busy backgrounds (I know you can turn them off, but then it just looks bad) etc... mesh to create a fun game. Last Hope is hard and fun while Dux just frustrates. The line between frustration and challenge is thin and, IMO, staying on the right side of it is a mark of a great developer. I don't know exactly what makes the line, but I know when a game has crossed it. But I am sure some people love Dux. I love hard horis, even ones that make you restart the level when you die, but the gameplay has to be spot on and the bullets visable.
Last edited by Hair on Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
That's so Raiden
LSU

Post by LSU »

I'm quite enjoying Fast Striker too. It's a lot of fun, and the different modes will give it some longevity I'm sure. Personally I'm very happy it's still presented in true lo-res on the DC.
david peterson
Banned User

Post by david peterson »

Endymion wrote:
david peterson wrote:
Translation: Hi there. I have a shitty HDTV made from LCD and did little to no homework before purchasing, simply presuming that there is no reason that the $300 K-Mart TV that I want to keep my budget limited to should not work perfectly as I expect. Therefore this game is a complete and utter piece of shit.
Nope my lcd isnt the reason this game is falsely advertised as compatible for something it isnt . 0/10 The game isnt shit either as ive stated numerous times so basically you are a complete mongoloid . I would still like a basic tutorial though on why mame is capable of displaying low res games perfectly at hi resolutions?
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

david peterson wrote: Nope my lcd isnt the reason this game is falsely advertised as compatible for something it isnt . 0/10 The game isnt shit either as ive stated numerous times so basically you are a complete mongoloid . I would still like a basic tutorial though on why mame is capable of displaying low res games perfectly at hi resolutions?
Because MAME typically uses hardware to scale. Connecting a low-res source via VGA and then having the display itself scale further (which all LCDs do) isn't always pretty and the outcome is HIGHLY dependent on the quality of the LCD itself. The game isn't "falsely advertised" at all.
david peterson
Banned User

Post by david peterson »

drunkninja24 wrote:
david peterson wrote: Nope my lcd isnt the reason this game is falsely advertised as compatible for something it isnt . 0/10 The game isnt shit either as ive stated numerous times so basically you are a complete mongoloid . I would still like a basic tutorial though on why mame is capable of displaying low res games perfectly at hi resolutions?
Because MAME typically uses hardware to scale. Connecting a low-res source via VGA and then having the display itself scale further (which all LCDs do) isn't always pretty and the outcome is HIGHLY dependent on the quality of the LCD itself. The game isn't "falsely advertised" at all.
Thank you finally some straight answers that make sense to us non serious shmuppers with lcd,s , appreciate that man .