NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
emphatic

Re: New Neo Geo Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by emphatic »

neorichieb1971 wrote:If what we want and what they want don't cross then thats no sales.
^^I fixed that for you.

I have DeathSmiles and yet I never play it, as its an INCONVENIENCE to un-TATE my screen. :D
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
captpain

Post by captpain »

neorichieb1971 wrote: However, I suppose there is room for us to be wrong.
Nah.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

kernow wrote:I thought the limit was around 720 mbits.
The limit depends on the cart design. With custom banking hardware the size is basically limited only by what you can physically fit into the cart. What's interesting is that there actually doesn't appear to be any special banking hardware even on some of the bigger games (e.g. Last Blade 2 doesn't have any different custom chips than Alpha Mission 2).
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

neorichieb1971 wrote:since I have a 1 slot and i'm a consumer I think the game would be best served vertical.
I think that's the most selfish line I've read in a while. I have a CMVS and could easily play MVS games in tate, that doesn't mean I somehow magically know what's best for a game I know next to nothing about.
neorichieb1971 wrote:Especially since more shooters in this day and age are in the vertical TATE domain.
I'd say that's a good reason to go vertizontal right there. We haven't seen one of those in a long while and it's a nice change of pace. As long as the game is designed from the ground-up to be vertizontal, it can be just as good as any other. Tate doesn't mean instant greatness. It's just the alignment of the playing field and monitor, after all.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Ghegs wrote:It's just the alignment of the playing field and monitor, after all.
:roll:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

So which version are normal consumers supposed to get? I don't mind buying the free play MVS version but somehow, I get the feeling a much cheaper DC port will be released not too long after that with a few more features.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Ghegs wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:since I have a 1 slot and i'm a consumer I think the game would be best served vertical.
I think that's the most selfish line I've read in a while. I have a CMVS and could easily play MVS games in tate, that doesn't mean I somehow magically know what's best for a game I know next to nothing about.
neorichieb1971 wrote:Especially since more shooters in this day and age are in the vertical TATE domain.
I'd say that's a good reason to go vertizontal right there. We haven't seen one of those in a long while and it's a nice change of pace. As long as the game is designed from the ground-up to be vertizontal, it can be just as good as any other. Tate doesn't mean instant greatness. It's just the alignment of the playing field and monitor, after all.
You pay for what you like, and i'll pay for what I like. Sure I don't know anything about the game, except the worst shooters are usually vertical in a horizontal playing field and this one tightly fits into that description. If the game was horizontal in a horizontal playing field I would most definitely give it a try.

Even if this next game is a vertizontal game, I can at least show my displeasure now and perhaps somewhere down the line the devs will look at other possibilities that I might like.

Not been selfish, just carrying across my opinions. Surely a forum is there to debate, not just agree?
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ganelon wrote:So which version are normal consumers supposed to get?
The forced freeplay MVS version...in this day and age most NG fans have a MVS, consolized or otherwise

Scratch that, get the tate version.

Anyway, I don't poop in my own bed so I will wait for more infos and hope for the bests.

But,
CRIPES, DDP chaining. :x
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Surely a forum is there to debate, not just agree?
Of course. It just boggled my mind how the first reaction of some people to the game was "It should be in tate!", like tate-shmups are somehow inherently and automatically superior. Personal tastes are one thing, but certainly there's room in your heart to let shmups of all kinds live.
neorichieb1971 wrote:Sure I don't know anything about the game, except the worst shooters are usually vertical in a horizontal playing field and this one tightly fits into that description.
But in an earlier post you said:
neorichieb1971 wrote:Strikers 1945 plus is one of my favourite shooters
so I don't really understand where you're coming from. Then there are Sonic Wings 2 and 3 which, while not exactly masterpieces, are still enjoyable. And of course Mars Matrix.

Let's wait until we at least see some better screenshots or even video footage rather than judge the game solely because it's a vertizontal, that's all I'm saying.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Strikers 1945 plus is an exception to the rule where my tastes lie. So obviously there is a slim chance I might like it. However, I like S1945+ because of its simplicity. Chaining DDP style doesn't sound appealing on the suggested setup.

But your right, its early days to decide. I just wish some of the unorthodox decisions the dev team made included that of a TATE MVS game.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

neorichieb1971 wrote:However, I like S1945+ because of its simplicity. Chaining DDP style doesn't sound appealing on the suggested setup.
Well, according to the article Plasmo translated there'll be three modes of play; one without a complex scoring system, one with DDP-like chaining and one with Ikaruga-like chaining. Hopefully they can make each mode at least competent so there'll be something for everybody.

On the other hand, if it doesn't work out, people will complain how the game doesn't have a scoring system, how the DDP chaining sucks and how the Ikaruga chaining is too puzzley. It's a harsh world...

My videos
cools

Post by cools »

Moar Gigawing and Mars Matrix style shooters please.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Ghegs wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:However, I like S1945+ because of its simplicity. Chaining DDP style doesn't sound appealing on the suggested setup.
Well, according to the article Plasmo translated there'll be three modes of play; one without a complex scoring system, one with DDP-like chaining and one with Ikaruga-like chaining. Hopefully they can make each mode at least competent so there'll be something for everybody.

On the other hand, if it doesn't work out, people will complain how the game doesn't have a scoring system, how the DDP chaining sucks and how the Ikaruga chaining is too puzzley. It's a harsh world...
If its the case of me playing it, I probably won't beat the normal version of the game. Putting chaining and polarity values in the game will just make it more complicated. I do prefer games with one system, 3 systems seems like 3 games in 1. Shoot, bomb and dodge is my kind of game.
clp

Post by clp »

I dunno why but this game feels like it could actually turn out good , my only concern is the 3 modes thing in that i hope there not biting off more than they can chew with production .
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

And here's the interview:

Q: NG:DEV.TEAM is worldwide the last company producing games for the Neo-Geo. How does it feel like?

Timm: Feels nice! Although we would certainly like to have some competition, because we’d like to play games other than our own. You can’t enjoy your own games the way you’d enjoy other games, because you already know them inside-out. Even on a hobby-level, noone really dares to program anything for this system. Of course the niveau is rather high. On the Neo-Geo you can’t impress with simple games.

Q: Rumours say that SNK Playmore has retired from the MVS business, because they couldn’t cope with the piracy that was going on. Don’t you worry about this?

Our cartridges have copy protection. We also use our own circuit boards, which are new and clearly superior. We knew about the weakpoints, that SNK Playmore had in their designs and have fixed them.

Q: A small company fixes the problem that SNK Playmore, owner of the rights for Neo-Geo, has given up on?

We’re flexible and brave while japanese people are very reluctant when it comes to business decisions.

Q: SNK has printed the number of megabites on each case. What number would “Fast Striker” have?

Definitely over 1000. We aim to get 1024 megabit on the graphics’ side. The highest SNK Playmore had to offer regarding graphics, was 512 megabit, so we’re able to double that. It’s going to be the biggest game for the Neo-Geo.

Q: How many bullets can be on screen at the same time?

I think it’s about 140. It’s not much compared to modern Cave games, but it’s the maximum on the Neo-Geo yet.

Q: Amongst other things, you can see a three-dimensional looking city as a background graphic. How does that work?

That’s a rendered 3-d animation. There are 120 frames, that repeat themselve after one circle. As far as memory concerns, this takes up 64 to 128 magebit per background.

Q: How did you come up with the name “Fast Striker”? Sounds a bit like football…

Because we’ve heard some criticism already, we haven’t decided on the name yet. René came up with it and it was supposed to underline the game’s speed. We quickly agreed on “Fast” and René added “Striker”. It’s supposed to mean something like “Schneller Angreifer” [literal german translation]

Q: How does the scoresystem in Maniac mode, the game’s main mode, work?

In Maniac mode, similar to DoDonPachi, you have to destroy enemies in a certain timeframe. There’s a bar on the left, which slowly decreases. If it’s empty, your chain is broken. You quickly have to destroy more enemies again to fill up the gauge again. An extension and feature of our game is the so called “grinding”. You get into “grinding”-mode when you’ve shot bigger enemies with your beam shot for long enough. Your ship and its laser become green, you weaken the enemy and during this time, you get twice as many points and the chain value doubles. Using the “grinding” technique is the most important way to score in this game.

Q: How do the bosses look like and how do you defeat them?

The bosses are machines and spaceships. We have, for example, a spaceship with turbines called “Guardian”. It flies over a city and protects it. If you destroy its turbines first, you are rewarded with a higher score. These secrets arise from a creative process. We don’t sit down for a month, write everything down and then work off each point. We discuss, play and implement the ideas.

Q: What makes a shooter good? What do you have to do?

That’s a difficult question. We had a concept in the beginning, but we’ve already moved away from these first ideas over the time. The “Colour”-mode was originally meant to be the main one. It’s based on “Radiant Silvergun” and “Ikaruga”, but became a little bit too weird over the time.

Q: 2d-shooters made in Europe often look promising, but on a second look reveal lacks in gameplay. The difference often lies in small details. Are the Japanese simply better in developing 2d shooters?

What does “better” mean? I think, that the main problem with European 2d shooters is, that we have been stuck to one concept for too long while people enjoyed Japanese shooters more. There are certainly players who like Euro-Shmups. You can clearly see that from the success of “Söldner-X”. I’d agree that the Japanese are much better and that they have brought it to perfection over so many years. Best example: Cave. It doesn’t matter where you look at, everything’s perfectly thought through. As a developer it’s even clearer to see. In details, their shooters are still evolving of course.

Q: With what features does your game contribute to the genre?

Actually with the grinding feature, that builds up on already known concepts. Other than that, of course with the visuals. The rendered backgrounds are something special, not only for the Neo-Geo, but also for the arcade scene in general. Cave makes use of big wallpapers, while our backgrounds are animated.

Q: What retail price are you aiming at?

Because we want to release “Fast Striker” in the arcades, the price is going to be similar to other games there. A bit cheaper maybe, because we’re newcomers, but still expensive. But we’re planning to release a cheaper MVS cartridge as a consumer version later on. We probably have to change the coin options for this one so that the cheaper version can not be used in an arcade. There are no plans for any Neo-Geo home conversions of “Fast Striker” yet.

Q: By the way, how much does a Cave PCB cost for an arcade owner?

Around 1500€ - we want to have our game way below that tag.

Q: Still a lot of money, but owners of a Neo-Geo are used to this sorrow. When will the game be released?

We’ll have finished programming the game around february. During this period we will also be negotiating with potential publishers. It would be nice to announce the game on the next arcade expo.

Q: Will more Neo-Geo games follow?

Definitely!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Sounds intriguing from a technical art piece. The neo will be smoking under the hood.
doctorx0079

Post by doctorx0079 »

nZero wrote:The still nearly ubiquitous Neo*Geo cabinets aren't set up to deal with a TATE'd monitor. You'd have to stick a 1-slot MVS into a dedicated cab, which removes a lot of the desirability for operators who were just planning on pulling Aero Fighters 3 out of the ol' 4-slot and slapping this in its place next to King of Fighters 98, Samurai Shodown II and Metal Slug 3.
This is exactly what Pinball Pete's would do for example. If they hear about it and if they bother to get it. Their Raiden Fighters was in bad shape when I saw it a couple of years ago. I also used to play a Neo-Geo at a laundromat until the owner sold it on eBay, D'OH!! :evil:
SWY: Games are just for fun
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I hope this is not a third strike. Color me hopeful, and may the issues that plagued Last Hope and Dux don't happen again.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Thanks for the translations, Plasmo. Bit surprising that they're already almost done with programming the game.

My videos
Animaitor

Post by Animaitor »

Thanks for taking the time to translate the article and interview Plasmo! Would be great to see a Neo Geo game on tate but doubt they'll risk sales to add this feature. I'm sure they learned a lot after Last Hope and Dux releases. The game looks interesting but I don't have a MVS system. Would be too crazy to think of a DC release in a near future?
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
Nate

Post by Nate »

My MV-1 cab burned up in the great studio fire of '07 :cry:

But, I managed to wrestle the PCB w/ cart slot out of it before all the charred remains were cleaned out; still have it in a box in my storage shed somewhere. I know a kid who may or may not be able to devise something from what I have left that I can play this on! Yay!!!
LSU

Post by LSU »

I know I asked about a NeoGeo CD release of this in a previous thread already, but if the devs are reading this, I'll plead again. :-) Otherwise, Dreamcast disc please... pretty please... with sugar on top...
undamned

Post by undamned »

Jockel wrote:And fuck the bashers.
Seriously.
There's a developer that still makes Neogeo / Dreamcast games, even listening to the complaints of the gamers, and still people bash the new game, even though they have never even seen the new game in motion.

I mean if it's out and it sucks, fine - bash it all you want.
But all this bitching way before the game is even playable for the public is just annoying as hell.
Got Dux? Bashed before AND after, lol.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
MathU

Post by MathU »

I hate TATE games.
YOKO 4 life.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Edit: Sarcastic post about giving the game a chance, which didn't really work, was here.
Last edited by Taylor on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

emphatic wrote:Looks very interesting. Can't wait to see some in-game videos. This might be my first purchase of an NG:DEV product.
Me too. Looks pretty sweet!
Fight Like A Robot!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Dragoforce wrote:Remembering the price of the AES last hope.... :cry:
Remembering Last Hope. :cry:

( :P Nah just kidding NG:Dev... sort of.)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Serious tech question: the interview says 1024Mbit of graphics ROM. Is that using custom banking hardware, or is it confirmed that all four bits of the upper nibble of the sprite attribute byte are extra sprite number bits?
twalden

Post by twalden »

I'm guessing this game is going to be well over $500 like the Last Hope home cart release? :shock:
If I'm going to be spending that much, it won't be on a homebrew game.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

Some interest here, waiting for some gameplay videos and then possibly cart pricing. Taking a bit of faith to hope it turns out well though, having been a somewhat vocal hater of Last Hope myself.