NeoGeo/Dreamcast/iPhone Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KBZ

Re: New Neo Geo Shooter Fast Striker by NG:DEV Team

Post by KBZ »

RHE wrote:It's fine to hear your opinion about the game, but you obviously try hard to make the game look like a homebew because you believe it's a homebrew. You're looking at it from the wrong side, you know. I'm asking your you to explain your opinion to improve the product, but your one-liners and weak comparison aren't very helpfully. Telling us the bullets look like a cheap flash game is simply insulting. At least I don't know a single one that has betters bullets.
ex.machina wrote:I'm a collector,...
Okay, then I won't argue with you about gameplay anyway. :wink:

*HIGH FIVE*
=/
Battlesmurf

Post by Battlesmurf »

Between this (I am really really curious about the MVS thing that'll be sold) and the DDP PGM2 there are some neat things out there. I think the price on this guy will make or break things though- so here's hoping.

Out of curiosity- what's the mind set for having so many different versions? I like putting in coins, but am not currently an operator.
My trade/wanted list
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1135521

Twitch.tv/RedHotHero
RHE

Post by RHE »

I don't quite the confusion about the bullets colors - they aren't 'rainbow' at all. It's just that every type of shoot that got its own way to move, got it's own color. Mostly there are 2-3 different kind of shots on screen, sometimes 4. Sometimes the game breaks the rule though, we'll improve this.
Battlesmurf wrote:Out of curiosity- what's the mind set for having so many different versions? I like putting in coins, but am not currently an operator.
It's a good way to make the game accessible for MVS owners for a reasonable pricing. When we sell the game for 349 EUR to customers with coin-up spport all gamecenters would get this version too, but gamecenters can earn money with the game and that's why they pay higher prices.AFAIK arcade games cost around 1200 EUR, even those from Milestone.

Btw, whith the carts update function it's even possible to add coin-up support for customers at a point.
Last edited by RHE on Wed May 05, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

You better hope those game centres did not throw away those trusty MVS motherboards haha.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
RHE

Post by RHE »

Am I right that the confusion about the bullets comes from this section?

Overall the bullets pattern are quite sorted in the game btw, but this one is messy indeed. :P
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Most shooting games have 2 bullet types. Yours has at least 2 + those blob things you collect. I would try to stop the blob collecting in manic areas to allow the player to concentrate on surviving rather than collecting. Thats a gameplay preference on my part.
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

This MVS release looks pretty rad, and better than Last Hope IMO (which I'd still love to own an AES copy of)

I'm tempted to pre-order this MVS, but I'd much rather plunk down a few extra hundred for an AES, ...maybe on par with Last Hope AES pricing.

To RHE:
If there is a 100% confirmation that there won't be an AES release in the future, I'd still like to know the coin-op amusement version's pricing.

Also, production number estimates / numbers are of interest. Will the coin op version be limited as well, or just re-flashed home versions on a per-order basis?

Anyway, thanks for the great effort, and congrats for keeping up with new encryption tactics.
Hail Atlantis!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I would also like confirmation that the game requires no gameplay updates down the road. Get it right first time instead of relying on updates. That would ensure the game gets the nod for professionalism rather than homebrew. You make your own reputation on this one.
THE

Post by THE »

An AES version is rather unlikely as we would need to engineer new PCBs. Secondly we would need to either purchase cartridge shells from SNKP or use existing games and convert them. Both options are currently not eligible.

The consumer versions have a similar limitation like Last Hope AES. Sales of the arcade version starts in June/July and it will be most likely only available through Japanese and HK/Asian arcade distributors.

Regarding updates:

By today's standards arcade shmups are a very high developed and difficult genre to develop for. Please keep in mind that even longtime shmup developers like Cave need several updates to perfect their games: 1.0->1.5->BL or even 1.0->2.0.->3.0->4.0 for DSII.

However, we have several location tests planned and we have very experienced beta testers from the shmup community.
We do design and testing like there is no update possibility to ensure maximum quality from start.
The future is 2D
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

THE wrote:However, we have several location tests planned and we have very experienced beta testers from the shmup community.
We do design and testing like there is no update possibility to ensure maximum quality from start.
This is the way to go. Way to go!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

I think i have identified the problem people have with the bullets.
They look too 3D-ish and lack definition.
In most "professionally" made 2D shooters the bullets look always flat (sometimes with structure) and very clear.
ImageImageImage
I think your shots lack a bit of contrast against a dark background.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

After looking at the sample screenshots taken from Psikyo's Dragon Blaze & Cave's DDP-DOJ and Guwange PCB titles, both developers have used their time-honed expertise & artistic talent to make their signature bullets stand out from the foreground and background scenery. It's a given alrighty.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
THE

Post by THE »

Jockel wrote:I think i have identified the problem people have with the bullets.
In most "professionally" made 2D shooters the bullets look always flat (sometimes with structure) and very clear.
That sounds like a plausible explanation. Indeed our bullets were more 3Dish and used a lot/too much color on them. We now made them more flat and reduced the contrast within the bullets and increased the contrast between bullets and BGs.
The future is 2D
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Can you update the youtubes to reflect the changes?
kevkevkevkev

Post by kevkevkevkev »

why so expensive? i mean, i know you have alot of costs involved in making it all, but most people here are in the uk and our exchange rate sucks. paying that much isnt realistic. even for the die hard neo gamers mvs has always been the cheaper option. to pay that price it would have to be one of the best shooters ever and maybe a signed/numbered limited editon of 50 or something. is it that limited? i probably would have paid 100-150 pounds and took a chance. i would have thought a dreamcast version would be more profitable for you?
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

THE wrote:
Jockel wrote:I think i have identified the problem people have with the bullets.
That sounds like a plausible explanation. Indeed our bullets were more 3Dish and used a lot/too much color on them. We now made them more flat and reduced the contrast within the bullets and increased the contrast between bullets and BGs.
I'm honestly surprised you reacted so quickly! Great job! :)
nem

Post by nem »

kevkevkevkev wrote:i would have thought a dreamcast version would be more profitable for you?
Taking into account how well Last Hope sold on the Dreamcast, I'm sure there will be one down the line.

A NeoGeo CD version would be neat as well, but I guess technically unfeasibly considering the crazy meg count?
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

I'm impressed by the trailer, how about a pc release, so people can actually play it?
“What did I had done!”
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Matsunaga wrote:I'm impressed by the trailer, how about a pc release, so people can actually copy it?

Corrected.
clp

Post by clp »

please just do a dreamcast version thatd be a guaranteed purchase for me .
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I think the chances of a DC version are 100%. Not to let the cat out of the bag, but the obvious reason for not announcing a DC port is because

MVS motherboard owners probably also have a DC.

Its better to announce something like that after you've sold your initial batch.
Matsunaga

Post by Matsunaga »

neorichieb1971 wrote:
Matsunaga wrote:I'm impressed by the trailer, how about a pc release, so people can actually copy it?

Corrected.
Don't correct me. I would pay a reasonable price for a download, not $500+.
“What did I had done!”
Observer

Post by Observer »

Matsunaga wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:

Corrected.
Don't correct me. I would pay a reasonable price for a download, not $500+.
Or a boxed limited edition. People love those. I like them too. Plus they could easily patch things fast if someone finds a bug or something... Who knows.

Let's see how people receive this release first. It looks nice and for some reason it reminded me a bit of Mars Matrix in terms of design, although with more mechs. And I like mechs too.
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

neorichieb1971 wrote:

Corrected.
I heard there's a program that lets people play pirated MVS games on PC.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

According to these guys this MVS release has encryption that SNK never used. I would be very surprised if it were busted that easily.
ex.machina

Post by ex.machina »

I also think a PC version would be nice, actually nicer than a Dreamcast version. I haven't connected my DC in ages and at the end you can both copy DC/PC games anyway, so it should make no difference in terms of risk.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

neorichieb1971 wrote:According to these guys this MVS release has encryption that SNK never used. I would be very surprised if it were busted that easily.
I'd be surprised if it's particularly hard to get around; all it takes is one loose thread, and loose threads are virtually guaranteed when you don't control the hardware platform. For MVS in particular, it can be assumed that even a modestly-equipped attacker controls the BIOS; a realistically well-equipped attacker (e.g. a bootlegging outfit) might have a full-blown 68000 ICE module and bus analyzer. More broadly, remember Schneier's Law: "Anyone can invent a security system that he himself cannot break". It's quite possible that it will last long enough to sell the production run, but that will most likely owe less to the quality of the protection and more to respect for the developer and/or lack of interest among those with serious cracking skills.

Regardless, the larger point is that if someone wants to buy the game legit and play it on PC, that is not currently an option, whereas the mere absence of a PC port isn't necessarily going to stop PC users from going the warez route.
ResOGlas

Post by ResOGlas »

To: RHE / THE

Would it be possible to please confirm if Fast Striker is compatible with the available MVS to AES converters such as the PRANSLATION, Phantom 1, or the Super MVS Converter II?

I believe a huge chunk of your potential "Consumer MVS" market relies on AES converters. Thanks again to NG:DEV.TEAM for your time and effort.

Also, can the Coin-Op version be pre-ordered in the limited Edition ShockBox version?
Hail Atlantis!
THE

Post by THE »

ResOGlas wrote:To: RHE / THE

Would it be possible to please confirm if Fast Striker is compatible with the available MVS to AES converters such as the PRANSLATION, Phantom 1, or the Super MVS Converter II?

I believe a huge chunk of your potential "Consumer MVS" market relies on AES converters. Thanks again to NG:DEV.TEAM for your time and effort.

Also, can the Coin-Op version be pre-ordered in the limited Edition ShockBox version?
Please refer to the FAQ for the current state of Adapter compatibility:
http://www.ngdevteam.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=58

Yes the Coin-Op version can be ordered as a Shockbox LE. The final pricing of the Arcade version is not decided yet, but it will be rather expensive as it is intended for the Japanese/Asian coin-op market.
The future is 2D
AKAperly

Post by AKAperly »

did anyone end up pre-ordering? I went with the LE.

i'd be interested to hear some gameplay impressions, anyone from the boards go to a beta location test?

hoping for a new trailer or some more info with only a week left until release.
support western shmups.