Why are all of the shmups on the XBOX 360?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
jonny5

Re: Why are all of the shmups on the XBOX 360?

Post by jonny5 »

emphatic wrote:
Vyxx wrote:Why do so many people make this topic? If you want to play them bad enough, you'll import a 360.
Because you can't search the shmups forum from a PS3?
i lol'd
sven666 wrote:because Ken Kutaragi and Segata Sanshiro had a showdown outside of the Cave office, Kutaragi really went to town on Segata and SEGA went tits up because of this, Kutaragi is living the rest of his day in a slow medium-security resort and as a result Cave had to turn to the third option.

(Nintendont doesnt count cause Cave games contain blood and cant be controlled by waving a dildo around the livingroom)

..aaaand there you have it.
:shock: :lol:
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I'm going to try and search this forum using the PS3, my launch model, that i've had for 3 years coming up.. That still works brilliantly.

Did I choose wrong to buy the PS3 that still works or did I buy wrong because no Cave shmups are going to come to it?

I can live without Cave shmups. Really I can. But for those who feel deprived I feel sorry for.. Really I am sorry, on Caves behalf, its a scandal. Its like the British government putting money into German Steel, or the Americans buying fireworks for July 4th from China.. Its like that...
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Rob

Post by Rob »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Did I choose wrong to buy the PS3
Yes.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

So buying an import 360 would have been a better choice?

If you like sports, FPS and games by teams that do not know how to program the PS3 then I would agree.

Apart from the odd shooter such as Caves offering, i'm only missing left 4 dead series. It seems you guys have tunnel vision, or is it me? Don't answer that. :P

Obviously being on the shmups website is going to get biased opinions since the 360 is where is all the action is. Thats like going to www.waveyourarmsabout.com and asking which is the best console.
Kron

Post by Kron »

neorichieb1971 wrote:
Apart from the odd shooter such as Caves offering, i'm only missing left 4 dead series.
And the huge amount of interesting content on Live Arcade compared to the piss poor PS Store.

If being honest I'd rather go through another 5 360s than be stuck with my PS3 and thats from someone non plussed about Cave.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

neorichieb1971 wrote: its a scandal. ....or the Americans buying fireworks for July 4th from China.. Its like that...
That's not a scandal Richie, it's capitalism! :D

My PS3 Story - by Skykid
TBH you didn't choose wrong to buy the PS3 - I'm guessing you were an early adopter? With the Playstation track record I can't blame anyone for going for it, I was just put-off by the astronomical launch price. It made me angry in the first instance that it was so expensive for so long. Still, after about a year I got one when in Hong Kong for a marginal discount. Its size and weight pissed me off a bit - it was cumbersome and a bastard to lug about when setting up. Eventually I got back to the UK, played it for two weeks before the fucking disc drive packed up. :evil:
That made me even more angry. Indeed, the notion of PS3's not breaking is a myth - the same fault happened to 3 owners in my workplace, and there aren't many of them to begin with.
So I was feeling a little kicked in the guts over the whole thing, but worse so when Sony Europe told me to fuck myself with regards to repairs- I'd have to fly back to Hong Kong to have it done.
So my brand new black breeze block was worth sod all.
I steered clear after that for another year, and when the opportunity arose bagged one from a guy at work who was selling at the brainless price of £120 - I needed one to review LBP and Killzone 2.
LBP did nothing for me and Killzone 2 was wank.
By that point I was pretty sure the console wasn't up to much except to act as a superb multimedia machine - and that's what it is to this day. It serves all my movie watching needs and gets used regularly for it and the odd bout of the superb Wipeout HD. As far as games go, with late, censored NG2 ports, inferior Bayonetta business and a slow SFIV online service I just can't see much point in using it for games at all.

I'm not saying owning one stops anyone having a great time, it just limits choice. Choice about which online service to take advantage of and which games to buy. Stop being so stubborn dude, buy a 360 with a copy of Futari and a cheap arcade stick. Lots of fun to be had. :wink:
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

cools

Post by cools »

neorichieb1971 wrote:But for those who feel deprived I feel sorry for..
Start a charity. :wink:
spl

Post by spl »

I must admit it's a tad frustrating. I purchased my PS3 with the mindset that japs hate xbox and how much more successful the PS2 was compared to the original Xbox. Being region free from the factory I was so happy thinking 'Oh wow I can play all those cool jap games now without a chip' and now I find out I made the complete wrong decision.

The only game I really play on PS3 (SF4) is on 360 aswell and every shmup game I want to play is on 360 only.

Oh well what can you do eh? I guess it's time to sell the PS3 and get a 360. :lol:
Burningvigor

Post by Burningvigor »

I bought a ps3 also thinking it would be a success like ps2. I was dead wrong.. and all the exclusive games that were on ps3 quickly became multi platform. To make things worse many of them were better on the 360 because online is more consistant on the 360.

Ive been trying to sell this system but nobody really wants it. The game store offers me 99 dollars for it when i spent almost 400. Im just hanging onto it just in case you know.

Im not going to lie that I have an american 360 and it went to repair 2 times within 2 years of when i got it. Thankfully it was still under warranty. But I think microsoft got it right now. I havent had a problem for over 3 years after that fix. Seems like they changed the model of the power supply which caused most previous 360 to RROD.

I really do wish shooters were on the ps3 because its region free but meh. Im just wondering what happens if your jap 360 breaks down? Do they offer repair for it even if you're not in japan? Im really tempted to buy a japanese 360 to play some shmups....
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

neorichieb1971 wrote:by teams that do not know how to program the PS3
By teams that would program for the PS3 if the PS3's engine wasn't painfully difficult to work with.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Elixir wrote:
neorichieb1971 wrote:by teams that do not know how to program the PS3
By teams that would program for the PS3 if the PS3's engine wasn't painfully difficult to work with.
I think it's more like "by teams that would program for PS3 if the publishers gave them the time and budget and code that wasn't optimized for DirectX". Sony apparently thought that they'd have enough loyalty and/or technological pull to beat Microsoft's growing API dominance, and built their system around the assumption that everyone would be developing for it first and then porting elsewhere. It turned out to mostly be the other way around, and now they're paying for it.
yyr

Post by yyr »

peace4myheart wrote:because it is easier and cheaper to develop on XBOX 360. XBOX 360 = PC (more or less)
I'm surprised that nobody has yet pointed out that this isn't true.

If you change "Xbox 360" to "Xbox" in that statement, it IS true, as the original Xbox was based on PC hardware. However, the 360 is much different, based on a unique PowerPC architecture running with 4 cores. (In fact, on a basic level, all three current, popular consoles are based on PowerPC architecture!)

---

It is true that Xbox 360 has basically become the new console for shmups, and if you are enough of a fan to post here, it is inevitable that you'll probably want to get one eventually. However, there is at least one other niche out there whose fate is uncertain.

A couple months back, Konami released beatmaniaIIDX16 Empress for PS2, and announced that there would be no further IIDX releases on PS2. The game came with a 2nd disc including almost 100 songs from prior versions, for a total of almost 200 (this is why it was more expensive than typical versions). This was a game that saw a total of FOURTEEN releases on PS2. They have also not announced any more releases of their other major music game series (pop'n music, Guitar Freaks/DrumMania, DanceDanceRevolution) on PS2 recently, leading one to believe that there won't be any more.

The question, then, is where do they go now? Most fans of these games are assuming PS3 because, apart from a few Dreamcast and a couple of Nintendo releases, the home versions of all of them have lived on PlayStation platforms. Meanwhile, in the interim, a modified (terrible motion controls) Wii version of pop'n music has been released, an awful (very few songs, poor controls) Xbox LIVE Arcade version called "beat'n groovy" came out, and a PSP version has been announced (not the real thing, boooo).

It looks like niche game developers (or maybe just Konami) really have no idea how to approach this situation. But if the more popular music game series do eventually wind up on 360, then more developers of niche games will follow as well, I think. At that point, it will be easier to swallow buying a Japanese 360 for those who still are not convinced to take the plunge.
http://www.yyrgames.com
I exclusively make arcade-style games. Now available for Steam and Xbox =)
Ex-Cyber

Post by Ex-Cyber »

yyr wrote:
peace4myheart wrote:because it is easier and cheaper to develop on XBOX 360. XBOX 360 = PC (more or less)

If you change "Xbox 360" to "Xbox" in that statement, it IS true, as the original Xbox was based on PC hardware. However, the 360 is much different, based on a unique PowerPC architecture running with 4 cores. (In fact, on a basic level, all three current, popular consoles are based on PowerPC architecture!)
It's true that the hardware is not PC-based anymore, but the APIs and development tools are still very much Windows-based according to everything I've heard. Since most game code is written in C++ and the like (not to mention scripting languages) these days, having a different underlying CPU is nowhere near as big a deal as having a different API.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's 3 cores rather than 4.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

yyr wrote:

---

It is true that Xbox 360 has basically become the new console for shmups, and if you are enough of a fan to post here, it is inevitable that you'll probably want to get one eventually. However, there is at least one other niche out there whose fate is uncertain.

A couple months back, Konami released beatmaniaIIDX16 Empress for PS2, and announced that there would be no further IIDX releases on PS2. The game came with a 2nd disc including almost 100 songs from prior versions, for a total of almost 200 (this is why it was more expensive than typical versions). This was a game that saw a total of FOURTEEN releases on PS2. They have also not announced any more releases of their other major music game series (pop'n music, Guitar Freaks/DrumMania, DanceDanceRevolution) on PS2 recently, leading one to believe that there won't be any more.

The question, then, is where do they go now? Most fans of these games are assuming PS3 because, apart from a few Dreamcast and a couple of Nintendo releases, the home versions of all of them have lived on PlayStation platforms. Meanwhile, in the interim, a modified (terrible motion controls) Wii version of pop'n music has been released, an awful (very few songs, poor controls) Xbox LIVE Arcade version called "beat'n groovy" came out, and a PSP version has been announced (not the real thing, boooo).

It looks like niche game developers (or maybe just Konami) really have no idea how to approach this situation. But if the more popular music game series do eventually wind up on 360, then more developers of niche games will follow as well, I think. At that point, it will be easier to swallow buying a Japanese 360 for those who still are not convinced to take the plunge.
So long as people can use their old, expensive PS2 controllers like an ASC, that is lag free from various adapters (for either ps3 or 360), the true fans of the series won't care and will buy another console if they have to. It's still ridiculous to expect that from the consumer anyways, and tbh, the series could stay on the PS2 forever, no graphical improvement would change the core gameplay, and hold notes (shit thats been in DDR forever) doesn't require new hardware to run on.

Also, shmups.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I'm pleased that shmups are on the 360 because I believe XboxLive is a better service than PSN. Sure you have to pay for the service but cross game party chat is great and there is more content to choose from on XboxLive over PSN. I have a PS3 and use it more or less for the exclusive games only.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Ex-Cyber and hirounder are correct.
yyr wrote:The question, then, is where do they go now? Most fans of these games are assuming PS3 because, apart from a few Dreamcast and a couple of Nintendo releases, the home versions of all of them have lived on PlayStation platforms. Meanwhile, in the interim, a modified (terrible motion controls) Wii version of pop'n music has been released, an awful (very few songs, poor controls) Xbox LIVE Arcade version called "beat'n groovy" came out, and a PSP version has been announced (not the real thing, boooo).
If Microsoft feels that these types of games would help them in Japan, they will moneyhat Konami to make them 360 exclusive (or at least timed exclusive), just like they did with iDOLM@STER. The Beat'n Groovy experiment would have given better results if it had a customizable button layout, and/or if there was a Pop'n controller available for 360. If the 360 does become the new home for these games, the specialized controllers will follow as well, so controls won't be much of an issue for most of the fans.
:lol:
kernow

Post by kernow »

360 is easier to develop for.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

NR777 wrote:
Darkseed wrote:
My bad. I visit many forums and your post came off as the typical passive/aggresive hater.

Well, I was mocking what I saw to be blatant console fanboyism. I am loyal to games, not hardware, and I really think brandmonkeys should stick to posting on gamefaqs.
This.
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Thats like going to http://www.waveyourarmsabout.com and asking which is the best console.
Easily SNES, followed by Neo Geo, followed by chipped PS2.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Thread split, the discussion about innovations in the gaming industry and such is now here.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Darkseed wrote:I mean the PS2 still outsells the 360 over there.
No, it doesn't. The 360 has been outselling the PS2 in Japan for quite some time now.
Leynos

Post by Leynos »

Japanese 360, Japanese PS3 and modded Wii all sitting pretty in my living room. 360 for the shmups, PS3 for the SRPGs and Wii for Sin & Punishment 2.

Couldn't be happier.

Go for platform loyalty, and sooner or later a game you want is going to come out on a platform you don't have. Platform agnostic is the way to go.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

Hold off buying a console until it has a lot of games you want to play (dont buy one "anticipating" its going to have games you want), thats the moral of the story here :idea:
Darkseed

Post by Darkseed »

Cuilan wrote:
Darkseed wrote:I mean the PS2 still outsells the 360 over there.
No, it doesn't. The 360 has been outselling the PS2 in Japan for quite some time now.
You are wrong. Not that I care for sales but you should check the latest Media Create.

I bought a 360 at launch and was not so impressed. Never got the RROD and had fun with Gears and Dead or Alive 4. Once I got the PS3 though I found myself playing the 360 less and less so I sold it.

I now have literaly every console since the NES but no 360. I really dont feel like Im missing out on anything besides the Japanese shmups which would require a Jap 360 anyway. I'll take MGS4, Super Stardust, Killzone 2, Uncharted 2, Pixel Junk Shooter, Flower, good multiplats, etc. over the next Gears or Halo.

The only thing that would get me to inverst in a 360 again would be if they brought all or most of the Jap 360 games to the U.S. Some of you may recommend getting the Jap 360 but some of you guys also buy PCB's and such so I guess Im not so hardcore.

PS2, PC and Dreamcast are my main destinations for shmups. PS3 for modern day heavy hitters and Wii for Dave & Busters style gaming. Hopefully Japanese devs will come through with some good shmups and maybe even try to do something new with these systems strengths.
jkoch

Post by jkoch »

DC906270 wrote:Hold off buying a console until it has a lot of games you want to play (dont buy one "anticipating" its going to have games you want), thats the moral of the story here :idea:
Back in 2006 when I bought my PS3, that wasn't so obvious. Devil May Cry, FF13, Virtua Fighter, and Tekken were all PS3 exclusives. PS3 looked like the console to buy if you wanted to play Japanese-style games, and the XBOX was for "shootin' dudes" while you "chat with your budz."
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

Devil May Cry, FF13, Virtua Fighter, and Tekken
well, those dont do anything for me im afraid. im always of the midset that i dont want a "next gen" console or any modern flashy games, then once theres so many shmups been released(really the only modern genre im still interested in, well them and to a lesser extent driving games), i always get roped in, so i never buy the "wrong" console for my gaming needs
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I think its great the 360 is getting all the shooters. Because afterall, it means at least one of the consoles is getting shooters and it means everyone on this site has a one stop console.

I don't think its fair for those who chose wrongly and the politics of the industry did change tide rather quickly after a lot of people invested. Shit happens though. 360 is the cheapest console to buy though, so you can't complain too much.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

exactly , i mean it would really fuck me up if Ketsui eventually got released as a PS3 exclusive :lol:
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Darkseed wrote:You are wrong. Not that I care for sales but you should check the latest Media Create.
I check Media Create quite often. But it sounds like you (admittedly) don't.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ostcount=1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... ostcount=1
Endymion

Post by Endymion »

hirounder wrote:I mean 2D STGs are niche genre even in Japan, and I'm sure anyone into them already has 360 over there. Say Cave wants to go multi, their development costs would probably have to double, but would their sales double as well? Like I said, I don't think so.
This is the real reason. Any time platform comparisons are made someone says a word that people don't like, "hardcore" is usually that word and well, that's what the situation is. The 360 is the total niche platform in Japan. 2D shooters are niche even there. To put it as Tomonobu Itagaki once said, "I put my games on the XBox because I know that in Japan, nobody will buy them by mistake." Yeah yeah, DOA is not a shooting series, but the same thing applies because it makes sense. It's the same reason that shooters continued to be released for the Dreamcast after Sega stopped making/marketing the thing.
emphatic wrote:
Vyxx wrote:Why do so many people make this topic? If you want to play them bad enough, you'll import a 360.
Because you can't search the shmups forum from a PS3?
LOL :lol: