Stick or Pad?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
clp

Re: Stick or Pad?

Post by clp »

I like the dcast stick i have 2 and a sanwa stick tbh just get used to whatever you have il play with anything really.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

If I'm not on a keyboard, I'd have to go with stick. Most pads are too mushy.

Granted, either A: I suck with a stick, or B: most cabs I've played in the wild have the difficulty bumped up from defaults.

note: this only applies to shmups and fighters, I tried to play Sonic Rush with a keyboard, and OH DEAR GOD. Luckly, I got my DS back yesterday, and enjoyed myself fullwell to its pad. I'd expect it to be worse if I plugged in a proper stick in too.
Last edited by null1024 on Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Stick.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ave

Post by ave »

Saturn, Dreamcast, Mega Drive and SNES-pads are great for shooting games IMO, but I'd prefer a stick anytime. Only if it is fixed though, I can't stand having an arcade stick sliding back and forth in my lap while I try to play something -___-
THE ETERNAL
ncp

Post by ncp »

Sticks only really give you an advantage in pressing multiple buttons in succession. In fighters, this is very important, and I would say sticks give an advantage in fighters, but for shmups, I don't really think it matters at all, it's just preference. Although I guess there's a couple games sticks might help, like Mushi Maniac with no rapid, with its strange emphasis on button tapping, but even that's not that bad with a pad if you use R/L as full-auto and then another button for full-auto tapping.

edit: also, I use a stick, mostly because I have a lot more fun on them than with a controller. I sit on a chair and just set it on my lap.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Earlier this year I got a stick and man did I suck at first (using it on my lap)... eventually I changed my setup so it could sit right in front of the screen and this made all the difference for me.

It is more fun to use a stick so I say give it a try and get used to it.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

I can't justify buying a stick. I'm just not as hardcore as i use to be in the genre. I think the SF4 Pad does very well. Its much better than the 360 analog and wayyyyyyyyy better than its crap d-pad. Playing with the SF4 pad makes me feel more connected to the games. Im sure id like a stick but I really think Ghegs summed this thread up.
EPS21

Post by EPS21 »

TodayIsForgotten wrote:I can't justify buying a stick. I'm just not as hardcore as i use to be in the genre. I think the SF4 Pad does very well. Its much better than the 360 analog and wayyyyyyyyy better than its crap d-pad. Playing with the SF4 pad makes me feel more connected to the games. Im sure id like a stick but I really think Ghegs summed this thread up.
I wouldn't totally discount sticks just cause you're used to the pad though, who knows if you buy a good one, you'll be hooked from the get-go, and wonder how you could possibly play the games without one. I really doubt anyone who plays a lot of arcade games ever regretted buying one (unless of course its a cheap, crap stick).
TodayIsForgotten

Post by TodayIsForgotten »

No. I don't mean they are out of the question. The problem is i like having the best around. And of course its all subjective in this case. I would love to have a stick but i can't justify plopping down 100 or more dollars as i hardly play console shoot em ups or any PC game for that matter. I just lose interest and wind up collecting things more than i play them.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

It all depends really on what your using it for.

I personally enjoy playing Shmups with Stick. I do just as well with a pad too so it makes very very little difference.
Making a lot of quick movements is easier with a stick than it is with a pad.

On the other hand though when playing fighters and it depends on which fighters of course.
While playing Virtua Fighter it has to be a stick because of the amount of of quick diagonal movements involved.

With 2D fighters I can manage with a pad easily but pushing multiple buttons to do combos can get difficult. Sticks allow multiple buttons pushes because your using three fingers instead of just one thumb and index finger.

It doesn't really matter all that much really :)
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

i use both pads and stick, i do better with pads, because i only recently got a Namco stick (the one that came with Tekken 3, 10 years ago) and i'm getting used to it; it's not that sensible unfortunately, i'm thinking of replacing the stick with a Sanwa
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

I recently got a Street Fighter IV stick and it is pretty awesome. Up until now I played with a pad but I want to get used to the stick. I'm still in the awkward learning phase but it makes the feeling more true to the arcade. I definitely did better with the pad I think I'll use the stick from now on. Like someone also said, the 360 pads you can use them on a PC too.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

After spending some more time with one of the Sat pads I find myself using it more often (especially for games where I'm holding two buttons).
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

HRAP 2 and Saturn Pad = perfect for any occasion ;)