Gigawing isn't all its cracked up to be.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

OptimusPrimeX wrote: Ok so someone tell me... how the f'ing hell in hell could anyone get past GIGAWING.. 2 's final Boss (with mutipal forms) w/out using 15 credits.. OMG.. i almost crapped myself trying to figure out if there was a pattern, or if it was just to look pretty.
Ok... done:
http://www.sirkain.net/~kiken/GW2replay.html

Obviously, I'm not the only person capable of this.

On a side note: it's funny watching these old videos again because it makes me realize how much I've learned since then. :)
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Kiken wrote:
OptimusPrimeX wrote: Ok so someone tell me... how the f'ing hell in hell could anyone get past GIGAWING.. 2 's final Boss (with mutipal forms) w/out using 15 credits.. OMG.. i almost crapped myself trying to figure out if there was a pattern, or if it was just to look pretty.
Ok... done:

On a side note: it's funny watching these old videos again because it makes me realize how much I've learned since then. :)
If thats the way you feel, or your current skill allows you (15 credits?)
Well then, thats why you dislike it so much.

I can't watch Kikens replay, but I have beat both Gigawings with 1 Credit/no continues. PLayed on defaults, using the ship/plane Stranger.
Yea, I know, its an extra ship, but I can get very close with the first "V" shape ship as well.
OptimusPrimeX

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

I'm definintely giving this game another try, and actually becoming quite fond of it. Lets see what happens and what kinda scores i can manage ^_-

oh ...Kiken.. thanks for the link..
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:
Kiken wrote:
Ok... done:

If thats the way you feel, or your current skill allows you (15 credits?)
Well then, thats why you dislike it so much.

I can't watch Kikens replay, but I have beat both Gigawings with 1 Credit/no continues. PLayed on defaults, using the ship/plane Stranger.
Yea, I know, its an extra ship, but I can get very close with the first "V" shape ship as well.

lmao.. well.. maybe not 15 credits.....if it was i would have no place playing these games to begin with. Just making the satement stand out a bit :)
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Kiken wrote:
Ok... done:

On a side note: it's funny watching these old videos again because it makes me realize how much I've learned since then.
I don't think I ever thank you for those videos Kiken. I follow your strategies for the stage seven boss, and now I could no bomb it(not on full rank sadly). :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Is there rank?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Rob wrote:Is there rank?
Yes there is. Dieing anywhere in stages 4, 5, or 6 will drop the rank back down to default for the final boss battle.

And glad to be of service, I|Mrm.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Oh, I guess I won't have to worry about that then. I play well, but far from perfection.
PLus, I use bombs too!
Gee, I suck. :lol:
gs68

Post by gs68 »

OptimusPrimeX

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

I've taken on Gigawing as my new shooter to concentrate on. I'm going to learn this thing in and out, and try for some high score ownage

(instead of making a new topic to ask these questions, i thought i would just ask them here)

Questions for Gigawing Gurus

-where is the exact hit box for most of the ships?..cockpit?...or just most of the center of the body of the plane?

-What is the difference between medal types collected.

-Boss Battle + High scoring*....for high score should i keep shooting to a minimum?... and is it more worth using my Shield to obtain medals at boss fights, or grab some up and still manage to defeat the boss for a Bonus(destroying Boss worth the points?)

-is it possible to dodge the final boss forms in Gigawing 1 and is there any replays of this

god.... this link even pisses me off.. and i'm the one who misunderstood it in the first place. Or at least in this topic.

gs68 wrote:Giga Wing is so misunderstood.

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemranking ... wid=366044
Rob

Post by Rob »

OptimusPrimeX wrote: -is it possible to dodge the final boss forms in Gigawing 1 and is there any replays of this
You see the gaps between the bullets, right? :wink:

If there was a shooter that had impossible patterns it would get trashed (legitimately) for having poor design. All of these games are possible, meaning I've never heard of a modern shooter with "impossible" patterns, except for maybe Garegga with its ruthless rank. I don't think anyone has 1-life cleared that game.
OptimusPrimeX

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

Rob wrote: You see the gaps between the bullets, right? :wink:

lmao.. aw shucks :oops: ..... I definitely worded that wrong. Basicly has anyone around here done it. I know for me its going to take quite a while before i figure out the pattern ^_-
BER

Post by BER »

OptimusPrimeX wrote:-where is the exact hit box for most of the ships?..cockpit?...or just most of the center of the body of the plane?
I can't define it well, but it's somewhere in the yellow-orange cockpit, which is a two-by-four pixel rectangle through the center of your plane.
OptimusPrimeX wrote:-What is the difference between medal types collected.
The difference among them is just the value by which they increase your multiplier. Each medal produced from a reflected bullet adds +1 to your multiplier. You'll find other medals in these denominations: +1, +5, +10, +20, +100.
OptimusPrimeX wrote:-Boss Battle + High scoring*....for high score should i keep shooting to a minimum?... and is it more worth using my Shield to obtain medals at boss fights, or grab some up and still manage to defeat the boss for a Bonus(destroying Boss worth the points?)
To answer your first question, you should shoot only to control the attack patterns that the bosses choose. For example, for the night sky boss, the first form fires few bullets, while its second form fires lots of bullets. You'd want to destroy the first form's wings as quickly as possible with all of your weapons, so you have as much time as possible reflecting lots of bullets onto the boss's second form.

To answer your second question, it depends on which boss you're fighting. For the first four bosses, you should maximize your multiplier by collecting those medals, because the Time Bonus would be smaller than whatever you can do with your multiplier later into the game. But for the last three bosses, it depends. If your multiplier is already maximized, you should maximize that Time Bonus, since medals can give you nothing at this point. Otherwise, I don't know.
OptimusPrimeX wrote:-is it possible to dodge the final boss forms in Gigawing 1 and is there any replays of this
If you're talking about the seventh boss, yes, it's possible. I've done it through save states and under-clocking the game on an emulator. Clover-YMN has done most of it in the omake section of his CKDF video, but he dies twice in the final boss's form, and he doesn't defeat the boss.

(Also, if you want to break the Japanese national record, dodging the boss without using the reflect force is actually required. For some reason, only shooting at it is worth more points than reflecting bullets onto it. But I have yet to confirm this.)

If you need more help, I have a good idea of a strategy that can get you 260 trillion points in the game with the Widerstand. You can search for them in my journal entries at Gaming Journals:

http://www.free-conversant.com/gaming_journals

But my ideas are disorganized, so you can ask me for further explanation. I also know a few tactics with the Carmine, but I have little experience using it. I don't know how to beat the Japanese national records, however.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

BER wrote: If you need more help, I have a good idea of a strategy that can get you 260 trillion points in the game with the Widerstand. You can search for them in my journal entries at Gaming Journals:

http://www.free-conversant.com/gaming_journals
I been reading a few of your journal entries the past couple months. I never saw someone so dedicated, and thorough, and still doesn't have a job :D . BTW: I'm in the bay area too (South San Jose)...if you find any good arcades with shooters please let me know.
Last edited by Dave_K. on Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Neon

Post by Neon »

is it just me, or is the dreamcast port worse than the cps2 version? I don't mind the scaled up visuals so much as the explosion sfx being weakened...
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Dave_K. Wrote
I been reading a few of your journal entries the past couple months. I never saw someone so dedicated, and thorough, and still doesn't have a job . BTW: I'm in the bay area too (South San Jose)...if you find any good arcades with shooters please let me know.
I went to Nickel City the other day, and the shooters there are in a sad state. Raiden Fighters 2 didn't work, Giga Wing 1 has messed up colors, Mars Matrix had messed up controls, and the list goes on and on.

BER - I too read you journal entries, and your analysis and dedication is admriable. Too bad I never had a chance to see you in action in Strikers 99.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

OptimusPrimeX wrote:

lmao.. aw shucks :oops: ..... I definitely worded that wrong. Basicly has anyone around here done it. I know for me its going to take quite a while before i figure out the pattern ^_-
Yes, I've 1CC Gigawing.
It took lots of play and pattern development though.
I prefer to play GW1 with Kawa-X on the X-Box with a upgraded X-Arcade. (WOW, thats a lota "X"s)
Anyway, the PCB and emulated versions are the same, and they run slightly slower that the Dreamcast versions. The DC features lower res, but its overclocked!!!
I don't know how I did it, but I beat the DC version. (import)
I'm trying to improve my skills with all the characters...to be overall, badass.
OptimusPrimeX

Post by OptimusPrimeX »

BER .. i appreciate the info.. i'm going to try what you've said out this week as i memorize all of the attack pattrns throught the game.. (damn i'm drunk as hell now.. i'm gonna go play now, ;lets see how goo the drunken state stands up t0o shooters.. prob not too well..) .. Man i really gotta get a video capture card, so i can post up some of my runs ^_-
TWITCHDOCTOR wrote:
OptimusPrimeX wrote:

Yes, I've 1CC Gigawing.
It took lots of play and pattern development though.
I prefer to play GW1 with Kawa-X on the X-Box with a upgraded X-Arcade. (WOW, thats a lota "X"s)
Anyway, the PCB and emulated versions are the same, and they run slightly slower that the Dreamcast versions. The DC features lower res, but its overclocked!!!
I don't know how I did it, but I beat the DC version. (import)
I'm trying to improve my skills with all the characters...to be overall, badass.

overclocked!!!!..wow interesting.. 'i'll assume that it quite possibly could be running at either a higher frame rate/ or just a different spee than the PSC counter part?... anyway.. cant let that discourage me, albiet i'm playing Gigawing 1 and 2 through my Dreamcast..
raiden

Post by raiden »

is it just me, or is the dreamcast port worse than the cps2 version? I don't mind the scaled up visuals so much as the explosion sfx being weakened...
overclocked!!!!..wow interesting.. 'i'll assume that it quite possibly could be running at either a higher frame rate/ or just a different spee than the PSC counter part?... anyway.. cant let that discourage me, albiet i'm playing Gigawing 1 and 2 through my Dreamcast..
For about half a year, Gigawing 1 on DC was the only shmup I´d play. I got until stage 7 and unlocked the Stranger ship, but never managed to 1cc it. Btw, does anyone know whether it´s possible to unlock the Stranger in the CPS2 version?
Since I got the CPS2 version a few weeks ago, I´ve been playing that, while the Dreamcast is sitting in a drawer. I´ve been meaning to compare both versions thoroughly, but didn´t get around to doing that yet. I think the CPS2 version is easier, especially in the later stages, where it will slow down significantly. Visually, it´s certainly sharper, while of course slowdown isn´t something nice to look at. One thing I like especially about the CPS2 version is the fact you can skip dialog by hitting the Start button. Concerning audio, well, the Dreamcast version drowns the sound effects in loud music, while the CPS2 version drowns the music in loud sound effects, it´s a matter of taste what you prefer.
Still, with highscore saving and the score attack mode, I think the DC version is one of the best home ports around, and I wouldn´t suggest getting the CPS2 version until you´re an absolute diehard fan of the game, as it costs 10-20 times as much as the DC version.
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

PLease do compare em! I would find that really interesting.
The extra ship Stranger, is not available in the PCB form. I believe its a console only extra.

Also, which version CPS2 board is it? The Japanese dipswitch difficulty is set at 4, whereas the US version is set at 2. Probably the same with the DC versions. I only have the JPN GW on DC, and its set at 4, so I couldn't compare directly with the US one.

Hey, you can even alter the color with the start button CPS2/emu, as well as bomb and shoot.

One more thing, you can also bypass the "story" in the Dreamcast port as well, by pressing the bomb button. If not that, its gotta be one of em.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

The majority of differences are a result of the hardware. The resolution on the DC version isn't exactly accurate (which is somewhat of a moot point if you're the type who dosen't give a crap about things like that) and the soundtrack...eeerrgh

It sounds like they tried making an "arranged" soundtrack, and failed. The music sounds grittier on the CPS2, which is just fine. The DC's sound effects also aren't as punctuated as the CPS2's, which given the right volume, produces nice loud explosions :D

There is a slight amount of lag between player input and your plane's actual movement...might not be noticeable at first, but it becomes more apparent if you've played the CPS2 or MAME versions.

Slowdown on the DC happens in spurts (mostly when you're reflecting crap) but runs mostly at full-speed, though those slow spurts can really get annoying. On the CPS2, there's a LOT of slowdown, especially when compared to MAME, which runs a bit quicker than on the PCB.

The Level 2 Difficulty isn't really that much easier...at the most, the bullets seem a bit slower, although that might just be an offset of me being used to the MAME version......bleh

Also I wonder if someone else can confirm something, it might be a result of the DC port's resolution or just me but eh...is the hitbox larger on the DC?
KrazyJoker

Post by KrazyJoker »

I like the Giga Wings. They're fun and have lots of eye-candy. The graphics may not be considered "top-notch", but the crazy gameplay makes up for it. And the soundtrack to Giga Wing 2 is one of my favorites. I still play them often. Definetly worth a space in your library.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I have to admit that before this thread started, I was not really keen on Gigawing. But after seeing some of the replays and understanding how to play the game CORRECTLY, it has now taken over my life (or any freetime in my life anyway). I really like the original GigaWing over GigaWing2 for some reason. The music is great, and I actually prefer the DC version over Mame.

I'm still on the fence about preordering Generations, being its so similar to GigaWing2...but maybe that just needs time to grow on me as well.

I hope I can gain as much interest in Mars Matrix, but that one button thing has just turned me off from the start.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Dave_K. wrote:Generations, being its so similar to GigaWing2...
In what way? It has no volcanoes, so it's more of an in-between game.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I hope I can gain as much interest in Mars Matrix, but that one button thing has just turned me off from the start.
then quit mameing :wink: dc version auto shotgun > j00
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Rob wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Generations, being its so similar to GigaWing2...
In what way? It has no volcanoes, so it's more of an in-between game.
There I go again making assumtions on something I haven't played yet. I was just going off it looking similar. Glad to know there is hope yet.
tehkao

Why do people like Gigawing 2?

Post by tehkao »

Can someone explain to me the fascination of Gigawing 2? It's one of the most vanilla shmups I've played.

I played it once thru and never felt the desire to go thru it again. I saw nothing in it, either design or gameplay wise, that's really special. What is it about the game that makes people keep coming back to it? :?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

The incredibly satisfying medal-collecting insanity (getting volcanoes is awesome), which results in mind-boggling scores. Seriously, play on Score Attack mode and enjoy the novelty of each medal (and there are thousands of them) giving you 60 billion points each, if you can stay alive long enough.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm not sure how a person can come to the conclusion that it is "vanilla." In what regard? Does the game not have its own style? It does. Does the game not have its own, unique gameplay mechanics? It does.

I looked at the top 25 list you posted and I don't see more than a few games that have complex scoring systems and even then nothing newer than Batrider, so I'm guessing you like straightforward shooting. The game is not like an old school shooter. The goal is not just to survive, play through it once and see the ending. The idea is to score well in both Giga Wings, but especially this one. That is what keeps me playing. Try playing it on 1 credit or (much better still) for score and you should see what is special or unique about the gameplay design, and by game design I mean the actual design; enemy placements, methods required for success, solutions to difficult bullet patterns, etc. It's not a game to appreciate for boss graphics. There is no Dust Dragon in this game.
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

Yeah, I guess score shmups have never been my bag o' tea. The whole concept of trying to play a shmup for a high score is alien to me...in most shmups it's hard enough just to stay alive...

I guess I just prefer straightforward shmups...and not just shmups, but video games in general...

But even disregarding that, I thought the graphics and enemy designs in Gigawing 2 were pretty blah. And it's really short too. There's nothing wrong with GW2 being a score based shmup, but I'm disappointed they didn't design it to appeal to a wider audience.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The graphics complaint is kind of weird to me, because I think GW2 has some of the best graphics of any shooter. Weaknesses are some fairly generic enemy designs (but I can't think of more than a few shooters that really throw out some memorable enemy fodder) and I typically remember the patterns much more than the bosses. Level 5 and 6 are farily unexceptional to look at, but it starts out strong and ends on a high note, and really the game design makes these flaws easy to take. And then you have a game like Elemental Master on your top 25. What!

Vanilla!
The whole concept of trying to play a shmup for a high score is alien to me...in most shmups it's hard enough just to stay alive...
Well here ya go, I'm kind of bored of playing games solely for survival, so this is something I've moved towards. As far as shooting games with scoring systems go, I think Takumi makes the most appealing systems.
And it's really short too.
The shortness is an aid to replayability. See, it's just a thing about scoring games that really don't click with fans of old school shooters. If you don't play for score you miss the big picture.