Gigawing isn't all its cracked up to be.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

Well, I rank shmups by comparing them to their peers...I think Elemental Master compares favorably to other Genny shmups...it's rather unfair to compare it to a 32bit shmup that was made 10 years later...and Elemental Master has pretty kick-ass bosses too. :wink:

I just thought GW2 looked rather blah compared to other shmups on the DC like the fantabulous Zero Gunner 2 or Ikaruga.
Rob

Post by Rob »

tehkao wrote:it's rather unfair to compare it to a 32bit shmup that was made 10 years later...
No way is that unfair!

You win by liking Zero Gunner 2 anyways. But I don't think GW2's graphics are far off from ZG2's. ZG2's are very consistent and excellently understated (whereas GW2 is more in your face with some nearly offensive color combinations, yet still awesome).
Neon

Post by Neon »

it's rather unfair to compare it to a 32bit shmup that was made 10 years later
Hogwash. I'm not going to play a crap game because it seemed good in 1993 (I'm not referring to elemental master here, which is top qual)
The shortness is an aid to replayability. See, it's just a thing about scoring games that really don't click with fans of old school shooters. If you don't play for score you miss the big picture.
Amen. Imagine trying to 1cc this if it was 2 hours long.