Darius Burst announced for PSP

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
UnscathedFlyingObject

Re: Darius Burst announced for PSP

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

I just played through all the paths in the game, and I have to say I'm disappointed. First of all, most of the levels are a variation of space, and while they're nicely rendered, it gets boring. Where are the ancient civilization ruins, dinosaur planets, alien forests, etc? Why is everything so damn grey? Then, you notice they cut all kinds of corners with the bosses. There are 11 levels in the game but only 8 bosses. Zones C,D share one boss and zones E,F,G share another, and to add insult to injury, only a couple of them hold a candle to what's in G-Darius in terms of creativity, scope and attack variety. What happened to the mind blowingly cool boss intros? The crazy attacks? The intensity? Oh, yeah and no two player mode. WTF.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

I have to wonder if a lot of stuff doesn't get unlocked?

I agree with the monotony of the backgrounds.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

This news isn't too encouraging, but I'm still looking forward to it (mine just shipped out from NCSX and should be here probably Monday). Hopefully DB will be a solid game if not 110% awesome.

I'm guessing this might NOT have the mid-stage branches ala G-Darius.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

I've been getting back into my PSP lately. I don't have a PSP collection at all though so.. is it worth importing?

I plan on modding my PSP wherein I can use RemoteJoy for Monster Hunter, so I can use an external 360 controller. External USB Saturn pads work too.. which is really the only reason why I'm considering this.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
UnscathedFlyingObject

gameoverDude wrote:I'm guessing this might NOT have the mid-stage branches ala G-Darius.
And you would be right.

The game is not bad by any means. It's certainly better than say Thunder Force 6, just not quite as good as G-Darius or Darius Gaiden.
FER

Post by FER »

This insight on the bosses means Darius Gaiden's are still the hardest
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

FER wrote:This insight on the bosses means Darius Gaiden's are still the hardest
Woha, in my opinion G.Darius is ALOT harder than Darius Gaiden.
Goshi

Post by Goshi »

Woha, in my opinion G.Darius is ALOT harder than Darius Gaiden.
If you use the laser counters G-Darius' bosses tend to go down very quickly. The Fossils in particular.

That said though without laser counters the bosses are very tough. Particularly the final bosses. I agree, I found G-Darius' bosses much harder.
How's the difficulty?
Its easier than both G-Darius and Darius Gaiden.
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

UFO, can you teach me how to counter boss lasers?
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I guess the backgrounds are from "Ikaruga Syndrome". Also found in Gradius V and Border Down.

Still, I didn't like the way Gaiden's backgrounds look overall(except the first stage), even though they had variety. G Darius though, was the full course.

Even though the second stage is "space" it does look exciting and spins around and whatnot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzRQTcH9DzU
FER

Post by FER »

This insight on the bosses means Darius Gaiden's are still the hardest
And I mean with the NORMAL autofire (the game is still beatable that way)
UnscathedFlyingObject

adversity1 wrote:UFO, can you teach me how to counter boss lasers?
I have only countered the first boss, but the basic idea is to press and keep pressed the burst button right before the enemy laser hits you. For the first boss, look carefully as it's charging its laser. It'll start by sucking in energy and then three rings will appear in rapid succession. The boss will shoot its laser right after the last ring disappears. It comes out fast, so keep an eye on it and press the burst button a split second after it comes out. It should look like the enemy laser hit you but it will turn golden, that's the cue that you did it.

Edit: it comes out for me about 1 in 4 times, so my timing isn't what I'd call perfect.
Edit2: managed to counter the second and third bosses. You start to get the hang of it after a while, but I still think it's hard to pull off consistently.
Devil REI

Post by Devil REI »

I've noticed there's a download version available via Japanese PSN, and it's cheaper than it is on UMD. I'm considering buying it by this means, since it'll be a week or two before I can get it otherwise. Is there any significant difference between the download and the package version besides the lack of manual/box?

(Please don't use this opportunity to lecture me on how downloadable games are terrible and ruining everything, because I am fucking sick of reading that shit)
I most definitely hate your favorite shooter.
For the sake of our own sanity, let's not even talk about Psikyo, Battle Garegga, or DDP DOJ with each other.
Follow my searing, world-shaking insights on tumblr Tweetarz
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

There shouldn't be any difference. Because of the UMD-less PSP Go all PSP games gets a PSN release.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Devil REI wrote:I've noticed there's a download version available via Japanese PSN, and it's cheaper than it is on UMD. I'm considering buying it by this means, since it'll be a week or two before I can get it otherwise. Is there any significant difference between the download and the package version besides the lack of manual/box?

(Please don't use this opportunity to lecture me on how downloadable games are terrible and ruining everything, because I am fucking sick of reading that shit)
Downloadable would have faster loading times.
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

Hi all...would someone mind translating the messages that appear when you first boot the game?

would be appreciated.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

I was browsing on the Japanese PSN site today and noticed Darius Burst is available for 4,000 yen along with a 61 MB file size. Pretty small file size for a PSP shmup title indeed.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
UnscathedFlyingObject

seiatsu wrote:Hi all...would someone mind translating the messages that appear when you first boot the game?

would be appreciated.
First one asks you if you want to create a save file, second one tells you that autosave is ON.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

Fun game. However, the game lets you win up until the 2nd boss, and then the rectal penetration commences. I'll never see cuttlefish the same way again.
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

Thanks Unscathed

My next question....what is the change weapon button for....nothing happens when i press it. Am I missing something here (keep in mind, I've just started playing and haven't unlocked anything but one extra ship).

Sorry about the basic questions, just that my Japanese skills are lacking
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

seiatsu wrote:Thanks Unscathed

My next question....what is the change weapon button for....nothing happens when i press it. Am I missing something here (keep in mind, I've just started playing and haven't unlocked anything but one extra ship).

Maybe there's a mode you unlock later on where you can change weapon types or something.
UnscathedFlyingObject

You can only change weapons in Burst Mode, which I think you unlock after beating the game. Whether or not it matters what route, I don't know.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Devil REI wrote:I've noticed there's a download version available via Japanese PSN, and it's cheaper than it is on UMD. I'm considering buying it by this means, since it'll be a week or two before I can get it otherwise. Is there any significant difference between the download and the package version besides the lack of manual/box?

There's no difference, although for 600 more yen you could go for the retail copy. I'd go for PSN if you can't wait. Just remember that you can only download it 5 times before having to pay for it again.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
UnscathedFlyingObject

I'm dead tired of hearing people sing the advantages of digital downloads. Seems I can't avoid anywhere I go.

Really, it goes both ways. I'll even go as far as to say that people supporting DLC are more noisy. "DLC iz the wayz of the futureeeee wheeeeeeeeee." Can't stand it.
Seismic

Post by Seismic »

A few questions:

- Can someone explain the multiplier system? What effect does it have and what causes it to increase? I notice the red flash, but why does that happen? And I guess taking a hit causes the multiplier to demote?
- Is the second Burst weapon kind of abuseable? It's basically a full-screen shield that recharges when it absorbs bullets or if you destroy something
- Also, is this game kind of boring? After I master counter laser, what else can I learn about the game system?
CecilMcW00t

Post by CecilMcW00t »

Elixir wrote:There's no difference, although for 600 more yen you could go for the retail copy. I'd go for PSN if you can't wait. Just remember that you can only download it 5 times before having to pay for it again.
You can download it as many times as you want. You are limited to 5 consoles though. So, for example, if you have 6 PSPs, you can have the full game downloaded to 5 of them but when you try to download it to the 6th PSP it won't let you. You would have to deactivate one of the previous PSP systems first.
"I've always wanted a thing called Tuna Sasimi!"
Hydeux

Post by Hydeux »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:

You can only change weapons in Burst Mode, which I think you unlock after beating the game. Whether or not it matters what route, I don't know.
You unlock Burst Mode by finishing K zone, not necessarily a 1cc (and to do it I used the Next, and followed the hardest course)
Men, is that me or the game is REALLY hard ?
I thought Burst mode would be easier, and indeed it is a bit (and it's also QUITE better), but the last level is always a pain in the ship ! Even using the burst laser as a shield (let's say you let it in a corner, firing in the opposite corner, and the ship trying to duck) won't work !

And I don't even mention the Mission Mode : finishing the "level 1" missions is quite OK, but from the "level 2" first missions, it's HELL ! (and there are obviously 8 levels !!! :shock: )
Devil REI

Post by Devil REI »

Been playing it since yesterday. What I like:

- Enemy/stage design that encourages clever, frequent use of the Burst mechanic
- Holy shit awesome bosses, particularly rad towards the later stages

What I do not like:

- Timing for the laser reversal on bosses seems hard to nail down - still haven't been successful on this, and just flying into a laser stream with your counter-burst raging doesn't appear to work in my case :(
- Short. 11 stages? Whut
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN OGR ONLY COMPOSED ONE TRACK?!? God, this fact pisses me off FAR MORE than it should

It's about a solid 7/10 so far. Still haven't opened Burst Mode yet, gonna work on that since it seems like it adds a lot to the game (really, it should be available from the get-go - oh hey another complaint). I'm having fun, but if you're on the fence you might want to wait and see if it gets a discounted domestic release (not out of the question).
I most definitely hate your favorite shooter.
For the sake of our own sanity, let's not even talk about Psikyo, Battle Garegga, or DDP DOJ with each other.
Follow my searing, world-shaking insights on tumblr Tweetarz
EinhanderZwei

Post by EinhanderZwei »

I was waiting for this game since the announcement, and finally yesterday I was able to try it out. Well, yeah there are some flaws obviously, but in general Darius Burst feels like hanging out with an old friend after not seeing each other in years (actually that's exactly hat happened to Darius series). So I'd say it's:
- not the best follow-up to G-Darius, but totally solid shmup on its own;
- not the best shmup ever, but definitely best PSP game to come out this month (for me);
- not the thing to kill all the Touhou clones, but a decent reminder of old-school shmups still soldiering on
- let's be honest, it's the best and most seriously crafted modern follow-up to the classic series. Brand me an asshole, but I won't ever think of Star Soldier R being worth the inclusion to the same lineup that contains Soldier Blade. Darius Burst is a different story - I felt Taito's nostalgia for their own old games while they were making it
In an alternate universal, Soldier Blade II has already been crafted by Hudson Soft and Compile with proper tate this time around (c) PC Engine Fan X!
Sega tried and failed. Nintendo didn't even try. (c) Specineff
Voxbox

Post by Voxbox »

I think it's a great, bite sized, fast paced and worthy Darius game. It's on a handheld afterall, you're supposed to be able to finish it while on the bus.
Devil REI wrote:What I do not like:
- Timing for the laser reversal on bosses seems hard to nail down - still haven't been successful on this, and just flying into a laser stream with your counter-burst raging doesn't appear to work in my case :(
I totally agree with this one. The one time when I actually got it right, nothing really happened. I was locked in a golden beam going on like forever, until the boss stopped firing. Should I have mashed something to kill it?
Devil REI wrote:Short. 11 stages? Whut
Yeah, but what really shortens it is that the first 4 bosses always are the same. It's learning how to beat each boss that makes up most of the lifespan of the Darius games, and especially this one where all the levels are short and more based on reaction time than memorizing. This makes picking different routes little more than just choosing your last boss. As the final bosses are ordered easiest at the top and hardest at the bottom, each with a brutal increase in difficulty, and how few zones there actually are, it's always pretty obvious what route you want.
For the easiest end boss you have to always pick the upper zones, and for the rest you should (or must) always pick zone D at the beginning since it gives you an extend...
Hydeux wrote:Men, is that me or the game is REALLY hard ?
Personally I have little trouble no missing up to the final bosses, with exception of the hardest final zone, which is brutal.
I just no missed the easiest route actually :)

And am I the only one who finds Next to be superior to Legend? The homing missiles makes bosses go down faster, and while it makes revealing items a bit trickier I doubt that there's anything you can't get your hands on. Legends fixed bombs could be preferable on some of the harder levels I guess, but against harder bosses you'd want maximum firepower.