shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:26 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject: Re: R-Type Final really sucks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:48 pm 

FRO wrote:
tizerist wrote:
Play with save states. Otherwise it’s stupidly hard.

I could respond in a snarky fashion, with "git gud" but I know what you mean. I'm working on the original R-Type now, and it can be brutal until you learn the paths. I would say the same for Super R-Type; it's more painful, because it means you'll have to learn a stage in its totality in order to reach the boss, then hone that stage skill while learning the boss pattern. It's not ideal, but it's doable. I'm finding out quickly that persistence pays off. For years, I hit a wall with Stage 3 in R-Type, and couldn't ever figure out how to get through the stage w/o being reckless. But I'm now consistently getting to the end of Stage 5 on 1 credit, after only 3 weeks of play, averaging *maybe* an hour a day. I suspect by the end of the month, I'll at least have the first loop figured out.

Oh, absolutely. I could never get much further than Stage 3 in the arcades either, and then when PSX R-Types was released, I could get into it seriously for the first time. I found both R-Types so punishing that I ended up selling the disc to someone I knew. Of course, I missed it so I bought another copy, and then I sold that disc too. I ended up buying it a third time, and finally got to grips with both games.

Maybe I will play Super with save states -- say, one per stage -- just to see and hear the game once again. Unlike the original game and first sequel, I don't aspire to be particularly good at Super.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:24 pm 

The bosses are the most likely things to cost you a life, with their unexpected attacks, so a save state before them would be good for practice. Since some bosses can be killed with a single fully-charged wave cannon shot at point-blank, you can minimize the risk with a good plan of attack. And if you know R-Type II, you know three of the seven stage bosses in Super already.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:19 am 

Mortificator wrote:
The bosses are the most likely things to cost you a life, with their unexpected attacks, so a save state before them would be good for practice. Since some bosses can be killed with a single fully-charged wave cannon shot at point-blank, you can minimize the risk with a good plan of attack. And if you know R-Type II, you know three of the seven stage bosses in Super already.

Good suggestion Mortificator, I made a save state shortly before each boss and got through the game no problem. It's been a long time since I played the game and much of it was new to me.

I've always considered Super to be just a port of RT2, but it probably merits consideration as its own game. Three of seven stages are entirely new, and even stage 3 (which is obviously based on stage 2 of RT2) is rather different, with a unique boss and new music. Actually, the music is new even in stages which are familiar (specifically stages 5 and 7); only the music from stage 2 is an obvious rendition of RT2's stage 1. As with so many games on SNES, it makes fine use of the excellent SNES bass (and the compositions are nice too).

The Force control has been tweaked in a way I don't like though: when you send it out and call it back, I find it hard to get out of the way sometimes, and end up reattaching it to the same side it was on (instead of reversing its position). This doesn't happen in any other R-Type game. Besides that, the game is pretty slow sometimes (not that I mind much). The stages themselves are straightforward on the default difficulty -- probably too easy in fact -- though bosses can be tricky. Regardless, the lack of mid-stage checkpoints is a major flaw.

Game definitely has its good points though, and does enough differently to be considered on its own. My new list:

RT > RT2 > RTD > RTF > RT3 > RTL > SRT

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:13 am 

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/07/g ... e-final-2/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:58 pm 

Quote:
Thus, they put all that they wanted to do at the time into R-Type Final with the intent of that being the last game.

Reminds me of Sin & Punishment 2. I thought that was also Treasure's way of thinking whilst making it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:23 am 

I see there's not much love here for Final's soundtrack. Personally I think what was delivered suits the game perfectly, stage 2 for example - there's a dense, pulsating ambience that reflects the bizarre wildlife you encounter in the swamp-like environment of the default version. Then the following stage with the warship gives you a rousing, dutiful number before the cold and alien boss theme 'Mechanical System' kicks in just as you max the dose level of the Force Device and expose the warship core itself.

Stage 1 sounds eerily vacant, a bit like the stage itself, and a touch macabre - dirge-like as people say I guess.

I like the game itself. It's a bit style-over-substance compared to previous entries in the series, but it has more style than most modern STGs can claim to have IMO. It's solid enough to kick around with using a favourite ship once in a while to just soak up the atmosphere. It certainly doesn't 'really suck'.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:22 pm 

qmish wrote:
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/07/granzellas-kazuma-kujo-on-what-could-have-been-r-type-final-2/

I would be very surprised if there won't be something done with the R-Type IP in the coming years. I guess the Switch boat has passed but maybe something for the next console/handheld generation?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:53 pm 

ciox wrote:
qmish wrote:
https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/07/granzellas-kazuma-kujo-on-what-could-have-been-r-type-final-2/

I would be very surprised if there won't be something done with the R-Type IP in the coming years. I guess the Switch boat has passed but maybe something for the next console/handheld generation?

The Switch boat has passed?

Isn't it still going on and having various games coming to it, it also seems to be getting quite a few ports of shmups so i wouldn't say the boat has passed yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:15 pm 

One of my favorite shooters.

qmish wrote:

Wow... I hope that the interest generated leads to some footage showing up.

Last edited by kid aphex on Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:16 pm 

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
Quote:
Thus, they put all that they wanted to do at the time into R-Type Final with the intent of that being the last game.

Reminds me of Sin & Punishment 2. I thought that was also Treasure's way of thinking whilst making it.

I always felt this way about Treasure/SP2 as well...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:21 pm 

Should have made that its own topic.

The Switch has been out for about two years. It'll be a thing for at least another two or three years, if not more.

Quote:
Kujo also talked about a bit of the development of R-Type Final. According to him, he felt sorry for titling it thus, but at the time, demand for side-view shmups was declining, and the team thought they wouldn’t be able to continue to make more games. Thus, they put all that they wanted to do at the time into R-Type Final with the intent of that being the last game. Kujo ended off his thoughts by saying that he will start thinking of what he can do for the series from now on.

All that needs to be said. Call it "the Final Fantasy dilemma".

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:46 am 

r-type final is fine far as i'm concerned although i'll see if my view changes whenever i get around to doing a no miss clear of the default F-A route on r-typer difficulty

https://braintemple.bandcamp.com/
my prog electronic albums 'n stuff

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 am 

Super r-type is pretty stupid honestly. The lack of mid level checkpoints is evil, and it ramps up way too fast.

original r-type is still the best.

It is very much a game that you learn to play. if you really get stuck, just watch a playthrough of it.

Within five games i was reaching level six. within a few more i was reaching level seven. still haven't gotten the hang of level seven yet, that one is hard.

a lot of it is because i watched others play it in the arcade, and learned the easy tricks. (for example the level 4 boss quick kill, which when done right removes ALL it's challenge)

R-Type III is really cheap in the later levels (OMG, that maze!), just because it's a console game and thus it's considered OK to throw stuff at you with no warning whatsoever because you can just remember next time and no quarters needed. Original arcade was a lot more fair about such things, giving you plenty of clues that certain spots may become dangerous without warning later.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:37 pm 

RiderKick wrote:
ciox wrote:
qmish wrote:

The Switch boat has passed?

Isn't it still going on and having various games coming to it, it also seems to be getting quite a few ports of shmups so i wouldn't say the boat has passed yet.

Not to mention that the First two R-Type games(R-Type Dimensions EX) just released on the Switch e-shop a couple months ago. If enough people bought/buy it, I'm sure future R-Type releases will be considered.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12