R-Type Final really sucks

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
devilmanozzy

Re: R-Type Final really sucks

Post by devilmanozzy »

E. Randy Dupre wrote:Well, no. We can't. You can. Just because that's your opinion, it doesn't make it fact.

I can believe somebody could play level 3 and not notice the slowdown. It's an epic level - massive boss, potential destruction of city streets - and it'd be relatively easy to think that the slowdown was actually some kind of intentional slow mo effect layered over the top to emphasise that, especially if you're unfamiliar with other games in the genre.
Well I guess I just didn't notice. I mean if you want slowdown play Super R-Type. Gradius III snes as well had major slowdown. In short, I guess I'm not as picky. Grew up on nes and snes.
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
http://shmups.co.uk/<- The new url of shmupswiki.com
mr_m0nks

Post by mr_m0nks »

I think R-Type Final is Okay, I haven't spent as much time with it as I would have liked but what I have played I enjoyed
Now comes with Gaming Blog and Twitter:
http://mctgaming.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/mr_m0nks
All Your Shmups are belong to us!
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Play through with the Arrowhead on default and I find that the game is pretty well paced for the most part.
This.

I'm pretty sure the game has been designed around the R-9 Arrowhead. It just feels 'right' in a way it doesn't when using the other ships.
FRO

Post by FRO »

I just don't get all the hate on this game. I had loads of fun with it. I never finished it because I got stuck at a certain point, and there are some fairly frustrating spots (it's a memorizer, after all, lol), but when I was playing it regularly I had lots of fun with it. I especially liked toying around with all the various ships. People can bag on the slowdown & slow pace of the game all they want, but how many other shmups in history have been slow? Gradius? The original 2 R-Type games? Need I go on? I think people just got spoiled with Delta and decided they couldn't settle for something that wasn't equally good.

I need to go back to this one & see if I can 1CC it...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Well, for every game someone dislikes, someone likes.

I mean, for those who like it, does it's "sparse-ness" not bother you any? I think it's a bit inexcusable. In a shump especially.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Remember the Sig of Ghegs? That ought to end all needless discussion here.
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

evil_ash_xero wrote:I mean, for those who like it, does it's "sparse-ness" not bother you any? I think it's a bit inexcusable. In a shump especially.
Honestly? No, not really. The entire thing's like that and I just find it fitting - it's not a glorious explosion of light and sound in honour of the passing of a legendary series, it's a funeral dirge. Okay, that doesn't make for a great shmup, but it does make for a great game. As long as you're prepared to accept that atmosphere can sometimes be as important to the enjoyment of a game as anything else.

The only bit I've ever found to feel empty is the bit immediately before (or after? It's a while since I played it) the crab mid-boss in the very first level. There's a hellishly long period of time between the last batch of enemies and the next. That's the only place, though.
fogelmir

Post by fogelmir »

I think the game is cool, especially the last area where the couple is getting it on.
Never Give Up, Never Continue!
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

DJ Incompetent wrote:Final is better than 1 or 2.

Yeah, that's right. I said it. It's true. Ban me.
Final-ly! OK, so the level design not quite as good as earlier entries, and yes their is an issue with pacing, but the bosses (cmon, the giant testicular sack in the swamp level) and the unlockable craft(while kinda unbalanced), more than make up for it.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Fighting a testicular sack in a swamp is always good, but nothing makes up for boring level design, massive slowdown, and lack of action.
indutrial

Post by indutrial »

Seeing copies of this game for $5 next to Robotech discs at Gamestop is depressing. I bought this and Gradius V at different points during the past few years and don't play either of them that much. 9 out of 10 times I'll decide to pop in Gradius III & IV, R-Type III, or either series' PS1 originals instead. While it's certainly obvious that Gradius V plays brilliantly and that both games look amazing, both that and Final feel too atmosphere-driven and stylized to give me positive reminders of the delightfully-inexplicable insanity of either series' wonderful forebears. The music in both games similarly didn't jump out at me in any significant ways.

When I think of R-Type titles I haven't sat down with seriously, I find that I'm much more compelled to work on Leo than R-Type Final.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

R-Type in general moves to a different tempo, but in the case of Final some of the pacing is certainly a little odd, I agree. The Battleship stage IS absolutely full of slowdown, but contextually nothing gamebreaking for me considering what else was on offer. Lets talk about its good points too
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
kozo

Post by kozo »

I know this won't change anything for people who hate the game (I'm somewhere inbetween "hate" and "really need to give it another shot") but, if your computer can take it, emulating the game might be an option to not only make it look prettier, but also maybe reduce slowdown and maybe even remove the framelimiter and speed up the game. Just a thought.

BTW, if someone wants to sell me a cheap Japanese, non "Best" copy of the game...well, you have a buyer. :)
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

R-Type Final deserves at maximum 7/10, but your predecessor R-Type Delta is fantastic and deserves at least 9.3/10.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

The only thing that I can complain is the blandness and the major slowdown, even in emulator.

At least, things gets hectic after stage 3.0 (or 3.5)
raigon50

Post by raigon50 »

yeah, this may be an older topic, but I really want to leave my opinion. only read the first page, so excuse me if someone has already said this.

R-Type FINAL is indeed a slow paced shmup, especially compared to the rest of the series, but it is supposed to be the end of the main series.
FINAL explains what the Bydo were, where they came from, and the struggle to defeat the Bydo. The eerie vibe the game gives off is to show who the Bydo changed the planet and to display how terrible and disturbed the Bydo truly were. I really can't see anything fast paced and light being the final game for R-Type, the game had a lot of potential and it used it.
Yeah, maybe Irem should take another shot at it, maybe clean up the gameplay a bit and shorten level 3 (it WAS way to long), but the overall story for it was great, and when I first beaten R-Type FINAL, I felt somewhat sad knowing that that was it.
I don't always see gameplay as the only thing. Bad gameplay doesn't exactly make for a bad game.
When the bullets shoot bullets, you know you have a problem.

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 »

I'm picking this game up tonight at a retro gaming event in a pub, so I will only be spending a few pounds on it.

Sounds like that is a good thing :)

The pub has an R-type cab in it so I will get some of that in whilst I am there :D
esreveR

Post by esreveR »

>See thread labeled, "R-Type Final really sucks"
>Suddenly have an urge to play R-Type Final
>Realize this text doesn't turn green

This is what happens when people criticize games in front of me.
WARNING: TARGET APPROACHING!!
xris

Post by xris »

The game sucks, kinda. I'm not gonna lie on this one, I put in the invincibility cheat every time and just played to unlock ships. I got most, some of them were pretty frickin' sweet. I did enjoy the levels that were all crazy weird, like playing as bydo against r types, fighting glow crustaceans, the eyeball tunnel that glared at you, etc. Because of this, the game sucks, but my time with it did not.
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

xris wrote:The game sucks, kinda. I'm not gonna lie on this one, I put in the invincibility cheat every time and just played to unlock ships. I got most, some of them were pretty frickin' sweet. I did enjoy the levels that were all crazy weird, like playing as bydo against r types, fighting glow crustaceans, the eyeball tunnel that glared at you, etc. Because of this, the game sucks, but my time with it did not.
I agree with this message. :mrgreen:
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
http://shmups.co.uk/<- The new url of shmupswiki.com
Square King

Post by Square King »

Final is definitely worth the 500 pennies I threw at it.
Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 »

Square King wrote:Final is definitely worth the 500 pennies I threw at it.
Agreed. Had a quick blast last night. I only spent 400pennies on it though. It is slow but I was having fun, the backdrops are pretty cool. Certainly not a terrible game by any stretch.
raigon50

Post by raigon50 »

hmmm... I suddenly want to write Irem and ask for a new R-Type that isn't Command or anything like that. Maybe something for the Wii Ware if they don't ant to do anything huge.
Though, I don't think they should exactly do another R-Type FINAL. "R-Type FINAL 2" doesn't sound quite right... Maybe an R-Type LEO remake?
When the bullets shoot bullets, you know you have a problem.

Square King

Post by Square King »

I think Irem should jettison the R-Type name -- because it'd be hard work to live up to the pedigree at this point, let's face it -- and come up with a brand new hori shooter.
R-Type

Post by R-Type »

I love R-Type (if you couldn't guess). And R-Type Delta is probably my favorite in the series as RTF and RT3 have faults that lower them: unfun and the Foundry.
Still, RTF is one of my favorite games (contradiction I know) because I love futuristic ships, the music, the stages and atmosphere. If I see it with a different perspective, then it's a great game.
But AS a shmup it fails quite a bit, and in the end I prefer to play RTD most of the time (Cerberus + Laser shot = win) or some MAME shmup when I am in the mood.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

R-Type wrote:I love R-Type (if you couldn't guess). And R-Type Delta is probably my favorite in the series as RTF and RT3 have faults that lower them: unfun and the Foundry.
Still, RTF is one of my favorite games (contradiction I know) because I love futuristic ships, the music, the stages and atmosphere. If I see it with a different perspective, then it's a great game.
But AS a shmup it fails quite a bit, and in the end I prefer to play RTD most of the time (Cerberus + Laser shot = win) or some MAME shmup when I am in the mood.
I couldn't agree more. R-Type Delta is also for me the pinnacle of the series but R-Type Final is more of a meditation. It's soooo pretty and so ponderous at the same time. Not satisfying as a shmup but quite distracting like worry beads or something.
Having said that, I'm not a great fan of the series and for me the most fun is playing that strange offshoot R-Type Leo.
peterbrady69

Post by peterbrady69 »

I agree that R-Type Final kind of sucks. I have loved R-Type since I played the first one in the arcades. Even spent $70 on it for the TurboGrafx 16 back in the day (that was a lot of money back then, and for a 14 year old!!)

Yeah, Super R-Type kind of sucks. The SNES was an infant with great graphics capabilities but a fairly slow cpu. It took developers awhile to get used to it.

R-Type Final just isn't very fun to me though. The game is sooo slow. You can go way too long with nothing to do. Plus the slowdown. I spent hours playing, and during the down times, I would maneuver my ship to get a feel for the speed, and when a few enemies and bullets hit the screen I swear my ship would respond more slowly. It just had a bad feel for me.

Plus the boss designs.....

I don't think it is the worst game ever, but there are a LOT more shooters I would rather play than R-Type Final.
ShmupSamurai

Post by ShmupSamurai »

R-Type III(SNES) > Final anyday
Use Shumpman's advice!

"USE A BOMB!"
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

R-Type III is way slower than Final. I'm sometimes tempted to compile a video of all the parts in that game where absolutely nothing is happening on-screen and see how long it lasts.

I like Super R-Type, but it (and R-Type II) don't feel complete on their own. If the additions from the console arrangement were somehow folded back into the arcade you'd have one hell of a game.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Back to the grave, evil, evil thread.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]