R-Type Final really sucks

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
DJ Incompetent

Re: R-Type Final really sucks

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Final is better than 1 or 2.

Yeah, that's right. I said it. It's true. Ban me.
Regulus

Post by Regulus »

Definitely not as good as III or Delta, but it was decent, IMO. I replayed most of those stages so many times while unlocking the ships, though, that I don't really feel like playing most of them ever again.

I also happen to really like how much the game fleshed out the backstory of the series.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

R-Type Final is not really terrible. I'd just say it's crucially flawed. Stage 3.0's slowdown is bothersome- I'd rather have had the stage's background be slightly simplified if that would've helped. The first stage could have benefited from a few more enemies. On Stage 5.0, the distortion effect is a tad aggravating. It should've been applied to the background only. Take the good with the bad, I guess.
Bill wrote:R-Type Zeta: Operation Creamy Nougat.
LOL. R-Type Zeta 2: Operation Almond Joy. :D
Kinect? KIN NOT.
sharc

Post by sharc »

it's my experience that bumping the difficulty up cuts down on the huge amount of dead air where nothing happens whatsoever.

i don't really care for the game, but if one thing sucks about it, it's the way that it's impossible to kill the damn hyperspace pod boss without hitting one of its color rod doodads and triggering the wrong final stage. i don't think i've seen f-a on a straight playthrough in years.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Bill wrote:My problem with the sombre game -> slow pace argument is, Delta already managed to be atmospherically bleak and a well-paced shooter. Stages 5 and 6 are about as thematically intense as games period get, let alone arcade-action focused ones, but they're also extremely well-developed levels. Hell, Stage 5 doesn't even have any walls, and still manages to feel utterly claustrophobic thanks to great enemy placement and timing.

Final just has bland level design, in many spots. I'm a lover of atmospheric games, but I'm also a shooter fan... R-Type can't sit still the way an adventure or horror game can. R-Type II can be slow-moving as hell, but the series was never just "slow," it was about taking a leisurely-paced trip through a meat grinder.
Wouldn't try to better that so ill just quote!

The great shame for me is that it was the final game, because the kind of graphics that are possible now could have really brought the grimy organic heavy-metal worlds of the R-Type 2 style alive. Final has some nice moments aestheticaly, but its just so shiny, more like R-Type1 I guess.
Imagine an R-Type rendered with this kind of technology: http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/2075 ... verhp4.jpg
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I liked it enough to unlock all the ships. It's still fun to pop in for a few score attack sessions. Not the greatest shmup ever created by a long shot, but not worthless.

...and hey, it's got the Leo2. Come to think of it...I still need that tag...
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

worst r-type ever is super r type on snes...... game is in constant slowdown mode.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I don't really like anything about the game(except the ships and the tried and true R-Type mechanics), but the sections that you go through with no enemies at all for large amounts of time is just a game killer for a shmup for me. It's so BORING!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

DJ Incompetent wrote:Final is better than 1 or 2.

Get off the drugs man, they'll only destroy you.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:aka fucking it up with invented emo bullshit
I dunno, I rather like having the story there in the background, as you can completely ignore it if you'd prefer. If you have absolutely no liking whatsoever for it, of course, it's not going to draw your attention away from the core game to begin with.
Well, I dunno. I watched some videos and it seemed far easier to focus on the music than the slow enemies that crawled off the right side of the screen.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

evil_ash_xero wrote:

But surfing with the purple elephants on my magical ironing board is so much fun!
dpful

Post by dpful »

To be more clear on about my last post, I liked the game alot- just that spaceship level WAS a game killer. It really rocked the boat. I thought the other parts of the game were either fun, interesting, or modern-shmup-whatever. I could even tell that the spaceship level was intended to be interesting.

The slowdown was crazy bad!
BIL

Post by BIL »

The worst thing about stage 3, it would've made a cool Image Fight / R-Type cross-reference, particularly if played with the Daedalus. But it just makes me want to actually play Image Fight and get away from the treacly slowness.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Damocles wrote:I liked it enough to unlock all the ships.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

ZOM wrote:
Play 30 hours with ship X -> Zzz
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Has anyone actually explored the Vs. mode? I screwed around with a few rounds, but never came back to it.
captpain

Post by captpain »

DJ Incompetent wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:

But surfing with the purple elephants on my magical ironing board is so much fun!
I don't think you've ever tried drugs.
auryn

Post by auryn »

C'mon guys, you have to at least admit... $10 buys you the best laser show on the PS2 hands down.

I thought the soundtrack was very fitting as well, especially the spooky F-A music. I was also impressed by the sheer creativity and artistry that went into the designs of all the ships/weapons and the levels. It's a real triumph of the imagination, which is something that can't really be said for Gradius V.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Gotta catch 'em all! :wink:
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

captpain wrote:
DJ Incompetent wrote:But surfing with the purple elephants on my magical ironing board is so much fun!
I don't think you've ever tried drugs.
Hardcore!
Shocky

Post by Shocky »

It's the goddamn best game ever. No, I'm not going to list reasons why, since there have been numerous threads about it already... so I'll just conclude that "This thread really sucks."
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

i thought final was sick.
very dark, evil, sad, tortuous almost. good soundtrack too
as far as tech design though? must hurt, esp if youre a designer
PainAmplifier

Post by PainAmplifier »

Damocles wrote:Has anyone actually explored the Vs. mode? I screwed around with a few rounds, but never came back to it.

Nope, I did the same as you. I setup a few matches, and then scratched my head at the non-interactiveness and just ignored it after that.

I don't think that 'feature' was really thought out all too well. It was interesting as far as being something new and unique. And not a complete waste, as it was just a little 'extra' that you weren't forced to use to play or unlock anything you needed in or for the main game. But nothing more than that.
clp

Post by clp »

auryn wrote:C'mon guys, you have to at least admit... $10 buys you the best laser show on the PS2 hands down.

I thought the soundtrack was very fitting as well, especially the spooky F-A music. I was also impressed by the sheer creativity and artistry that went into the designs of all the ships/weapons and the levels. It's a real triumph of the imagination, which is something that can't really be said for Gradius V.
Thats because gradius focused on the most important aspect of games fullstop PLAYABILITY , no amount of aesthetics music or imagination is going to make a steamy pile game any good .
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

It's average, but I like the more modern graphics and the creepy soundtrack
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Rozyrg wrote:Hardly my favorite shooter on PS2; but 'really sucks' is a bit much. :?

That said, it was one of the first I actually sold (along with Shiki 2, of course.)
I guess that speaks volumes about your shmup taste. :P

I enjoy it enough. It has some epic design, and good music. It's tough as nails, sure, but it's R-Type.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
auryn

Post by auryn »

clp wrote:Thats because gradius focused on the most important aspect of games fullstop PLAYABILITY , no amount of aesthetics music or imagination is going to make a steamy pile game any good .
It's probably hopeless to defend R-type final here on the shmups forum, where the worlds high-precision clinical superplayers dwell. but well... you know I just can't agree with the whole "playability is the only important thing" argument. It's not for me, anyway. R-type F may not be as playable as Gradius V, but it did such a good job at the rest of the experience, that I found myself enjoying it a lot more. I don't think a comparison to Shadow of the Colossus is totally unthinkable... that's another game where there's a lot of crippling slowdown, but the awesome atmosphere just pulled me in and kept me hooked.

R-type Final just has so much going for it... Great eerie alien atmosphere, well chosen music suitable for that atmosphere, superb graphics that really make the gameworld come alive in a way that I always imagined it would be like when playing the first r-type on my amiga... it also addresses the problem that bogs down almost all shmups for casual players - repetitiveness (the multi-climate level 2, multiple unique ending levels) and replay value (5 difficulty settings, and 100 weird & wonderful unlockable ships, each with their own weapon system).

I could go on and on. I really don't think there's another shmup out there that has received as much attention and dedication from it's developers as this game has. If they're guilty of anything, it's being too ambitious - hence the slowdown - but that's hardly a crime in my book. Let's just say that a lot of lauded shmup developers try (and do) sell you a lot shorter than this package for $10.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Ghegs wrote:C'mon Irem, one more R-Type to sweep away all the bad feelings. You don't have to care that the game had "Final" in the title, it certainly hasn't slowed down Square one bit.
R-Type Thesis? :lol: Er, what else comes after a final...
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

R-Type Epilogue
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I've enjoyed R-Type Final. Sure, the slow down can get bad at times, but the graphics are quite nice (especially the dramatically lit stage with the star in the background), the music is cool and eerie at times, multiple endings, a metric fuckton of ships, a good challenge, and solid controls. It may not be the pinnacle of the series, but it's a good note to go out on.