R-Type Final really sucks

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
stryc9

Re: R-Type Final really sucks

Post by stryc9 »

1983parrothead wrote:ThunderForce VI looks more interesting.
It isn't. Final is way better, even with it's faults.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
qmish

Post by qmish »

R-t F is really creepy. I can't play it, i even stupidly die at that red knight :oops: and not wanna coming back
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

Hey guys, sorry to sound disrespectful, but anybody who says that R-Type Final really sucks should just go back and play Otomedius Excellent and Trouble Witches NEO! R-Type Final is nowhere near as good as Delta, but I still really like it, and I still have the disc of it. There are definitely flaws like ships being very unbalanced, and of course there's slowdown. I think R-902 Ragnarok II is one of the most overpowered ships in video game history, simply because it has Giga Wave Cannon, which easily one shots everything, including bosses. R-9 Leo II is also overpowered, because it has it's Claw Laser, which is the most powerful red laser in the game. Not to mention that this game suffers slowdown as well. If this game doesn't have much slowdown and overpowered ships, this R-Type game would have been amazing, and I'd be possibly the best R-Type game ever along with R-Type Delta and R-Type: The Third Lightning.
Last edited by Dawn111 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
https://youtube.com/DawnHibiki
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Dawn111 wrote:Hey guys, sorry to sound disrespectful, but anybody who says that R-Type Final really sucks should just go back and play Otomedius Excellent and Trouble Witches NEO!
Can't argue with that lol.
Dawn111 wrote:If this game doesn't have much slowdown and overpowered ships, this R-Type game would have been amazing, and I'd be possibly the R-Type game ever.
Eh, I don't think the level design or bosses are as good as R-Type 1, Dleta, etc. Even Super R-Type and R-Type III have more fun stages IMO.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

Squire Grooktook wrote:
Dawn111 wrote:Hey guys, sorry to sound disrespectful, but anybody who says that R-Type Final really sucks should just go back and play Otomedius Excellent and Trouble Witches NEO!
Can't argue with that lol.
Dawn111 wrote:If this game doesn't have much slowdown and overpowered ships, this R-Type game would have been amazing, and I'd be possibly the R-Type game ever.
Eh, I don't think the level design or bosses are as good as R-Type 1, Dleta, etc. Even Super R-Type and R-Type III have more fun stages IMO.
Well, I should also admit that the design of the stages and their bosses are bland as well. Irem should put more effort on designing the stages, because while they look pretty, they're too dark and boring to me. I prefer R-Type Delta either way, but R-Type Final has some great potential.
Last edited by Dawn111 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"You don't have to believe in yourself, because I believe in you." - Drax the Destroyer
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

the R-Type game EVER!!!
THE PORT EVER LIVES!!!
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Dawn111

Post by Dawn111 »

Strider77 wrote:
the R-Type game EVER!!!
THE PORT EVER LIVES!!!
I meant to say the best R-Type game lol, though R-Type Delta is still the best of the series in my opinion.
Last edited by Dawn111 on Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBC

Post by JBC »

I've been playing this recently & I don't see what all the negativity is about. Sure, it's got some slowdown & stage 1 is intentionally bleak & sparse but aside it seems as fine a game as any other. The challenge is certainly there.

I just earned the Kiwi.
Godzilla was an inside job
Squire Grooktook

Stage 3 is also really sloooooooow and sparse.

Stage 4 too but to a lesser extent.

I don't think the game gets good till the stage 5 boss tbh. Although the stage 4 boss is cool too.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

R-Type Final is frustrating since you can see the potential.

Levels 2 and 4 are decent, I think they are also among the shorter levels, which might be why they have better pacing. If the rest of the levels could have at least hit that level quality we might have had a classic on our hands. It's really the level design that holds the game back.

R-Type Delta was "slow" but it was creative and constantly entertaining.
JBC

Post by JBC »

I can say that I'm disappointed it takes the game so long to move into outer space. One of the things I've always loved about the series was how alien & weird it all was. The city in stage three barely even looks futuristic, much less that creative. It really should have been dropped for something less resource intensive. Besides, we already got something similar in Delta.

The game still has a great weird ambience but it's mostly due to pacing, music, & the creepy intro texts.
Godzilla was an inside job
Squire Grooktook

Yeah I admit I like the presentation. It's audio/visually pretty dry, but the texts are great stuff.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Special World

Post by Special World »

I really liked R-Type Final back in the day, and then I replayed it a few years ago and the first level was so shoddy and boring that I turned it off without playing any further. There was like... No level design to speak of.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

If you have insomnia and trying to sleep soundly, R-Type Final is the effective cure.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I fart on the Final haters.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Special World

Post by Special World »

Strider77 wrote:I fart on the Final haters.
That fart's name?
Spoiler
R-Type Final
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
1up

Post by 1up »

Strider77 wrote:
the R-Type game EVER!!!
THE PORT EVER LIVES!!!

I have R-Type Final in my collection, but haven't played it yet.
atro

Post by atro »

I wouldn't say it's that bad.
There are obviously better games to shoot down some enemies tho.

The colors are a bit washed out, that's my main gripe with it.
There's some nice atmosphere going, but it's about it.
R-Type Delta > Final. 8)
Image . Image
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

It's that time again. Bumping this to fart on the Final haters. That nonsense comparison thread is pretty terrible too, and it disses way more than just Final. Fuck that thread.

"Delta is better", "the ships are unbalanced", and "just like Delta (yes) the hardest difficulty is the only one really worth it" are really all you can say negative about it. And are they really negatives? Delta is one of the best games in the entire genre, and it's basically impossible to balance 101 ships without making all of them incredibly boring. Even offering difficulties is a huge upgrade over having to play very slightly different versions of the same game in a row, like the other games do... this isn't a CAVE or Toaplan game we're talking about.

The sheer amount of people complaining about a very short stage 1, not even talking about repeat plays, is clearly problematic. Seemingly little things like this are such obvious signs that something is very wrong with any and all discourse on a topic. Funny enough, the only good thing in that comparison topic was bringing up the truly terrible R-Type III stage 1.

Irem did good, Final is very playable in a lot of interesting ways. It's pretty obvious Irem just made a bunch of ships that were interesting to play without worrying about balance, that's why #99~#101 are in the game. That's fine. If people cared, we could just pick a few specific ships to play with (e.g. the three starters) and everything would be good. People don't care, so we can't do that.

It's certainly a better game than III at least. III is just misery, even after stage 1.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
FRO

Post by FRO »

I've always enjoyed Final. I still kinda suck at it, but that's my issue as much as anything, since I hit a wall and then sort of move on to other things. But the wide variety of ships and their different weapon load-outs make the game interesting, and you have to approach each one differently, because it changes the way the game plays, in a lot of subtle ways. I like the soundtrack, even though it's kinda of bland, because it works as good atmosphere for the game, and I like the sort of zen space I get into with the game in the first 2-3 stages, once I get into it. It's flawed, but still totally competent, and for me at least, enjoyable. It's kind of a burger/steak argument. It's not the meatiest game or challenge out there, but even when you can afford a steak, sometimes you crave a burger. R-Type Final helps satisfy that craving for me sometimes, but it's like a burger deluxe, because of all the extra stuff thrown in there.
mrmccormo

Post by mrmccormo »

Final is what I like to play when I want to play a horizontal shmup but I don't really want to play anything too demanding. The chill atmosphere and "cinematic" (lol) stretches with no enemies fits that aim just fine.

Is it the best R-Type? Nah, but the 100+ ship collect-a-thon should be a clue that this game is serving a different purpose.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Oh yeah, someone mentioned the ones digit acting weird/random. You just get extra points for hitting things with your Force (which also builds Dose). For example, you hit one of the R-9 clones and you get 126 points instead of 100, etc. So things like the crab midboss in stage 1 with all of its orbs become pretty lucrative.
Klabauter8
Banned User

Post by Klabauter8 »

Despatche wrote:Oh yeah, someone mentioned the ones digit acting weird/random. You just get extra points for hitting things with your Force (which also builds Dose). For example, you hit one of the R-9 clones and you get 126 points instead of 100, etc. So things like the crab midboss in stage 1 with all of its orbs become pretty lucrative.
Unless you play for high scores in single stages, playing Final for score is redundant anyway, since the game is totally broken in this regard. You can get infinite score on the endboss of this game by just simply not killing its first phase, and just infinitely destroying the garbage it spills out.

That being said, I personally still like Final though. Some stages are quite boring, and the Dobkeratops boss is just a complete difficulty spike on the harder difficulties (especially when playing with weaker ships, it becomes almost impossible), but just alone all the awesome ship designs in this game make it fantastic.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Somehow I don't think it's that simple, or they wouldn't have bothered with the whole IR thing. Stuff like that can (and usually is) ignored/banned anyway.

I should point out that this game doesn't really have "grinding". You get ships by doing what you'd normally do anyway: play the game. Nearly every ship is unlocked simply by playing the game a certain amount of time, or beating a certain stage, or doing these things with a certain ship, etc. If you treat it as "a sequel to Delta that isn't quite as good but has way more unlockables", which it really is, then Final starts to make way more sense.

The three starter ships are pretty comparable to the three ships in III or Delta. If you really want, you can just pick the three Delta ships themselves or something. With the three customizable ships, you can do pretty much any combo you will ever want.

(Turns out I actually said III was one of the best console shmups just a few years ago. Man, I must have been on something. It's alright but Jesus Christ it's got major problems. Delta and Final, not so much.)
Klabauter8
Banned User

Post by Klabauter8 »

Despatche wrote:Somehow I don't think it's that simple, or they wouldn't have bothered with the whole IR thing.
You can try it out for yourself. Just don't shoot your force into the first phase of the last boss, and just kill the garbage flying around infinitely by staying on the left side. They all still give points. It's pretty bad. They probably had no time for polish I guess and forgot about this.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Again, if that's actually true, it'll get ignored anyway. Tons and tons and tons and tons of games have something like that somewhere, even some arcade games do. Doesn't stop people from playing R-Type III, Super Aleste, etc. All it really means is that I need to go find an infinite pattern in Delta so I can ruin that game for everyone.
Klabauter8
Banned User

Post by Klabauter8 »

Despatche wrote:Again, if that's actually true, it'll get ignored anyway. Tons and tons and tons and tons of games have something like that somewhere, even some arcade games do. Doesn't stop people from playing R-Type III, Super Aleste, etc. All it really means is that I need to go find an infinite pattern in Delta so I can ruin that game for everyone.
The fuck are you even talking about? I never tried to ruin the game for anyone, I am just telling you how it is. Of course you can still invent your own personal "challenge rules", but in the end the scoring is still broken in the game. I personally never really bothered with playing R-type games for score anyway. Scoring mechanics never were a strength of these games. Milking checkpoints and such stuff is pretty boring anyway. I find R-Type games are much better to just play for survival.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Uh, what are you talking about? I have no idea where this hostility is coming from.

There's nothing "personal" about banning a scoring exploit, nor is there anything "personal" about demanding no misses to solve another scoring exploit. It's already bad enough that people think scoring and even 1CCs are "personal challenge rules" as opposed to very basic parts of design. "personal" is doing things like playing with specific weapons just because, refusing to even acquire a Force, only using the Force, pacifist runs, etc.

It doesn't help that the term "scoring mechanics" was completely redefined by CAVE worshippers (because Raizing fans have more respect than that). I can't really convince anyone of the appeal of simply shooting enemies for points, but I can tell you that saying something like "scoring mechanics never were a strength of these games" shits on decades of video game design for the sake of CAVE.
Klabauter8
Banned User

Post by Klabauter8 »

Despatche wrote:Uh, what are you talking about? I have no idea where this hostility is coming from.
You were implying I tried to ruin the game for people, which is not true. The hostility obviously is on your side, you snobbish cunt.
Despatche wrote:There's nothing "personal" about banning a scoring exploit, nor is there anything "personal" about demanding no misses to solve another scoring exploit. It's already bad enough that people think scoring and even 1CCs are "personal challenge rules" as opposed to very basic parts of design.
1CCs are personal challenge rules. Most people just credit feed. However, in contrary to your speedrunner philosophy where people play casual games and just pull random rules out of their ass to make it somewhat "challenging", shmups were designed for 1CCs too. However you also can credit feed them if you want. It's up to you.

If R-Type Final would be an arcade game, Arcadia probably would have banned it already, because it's broken for score. Of course anyone can still play it for score anyway if they want, but to me it seems redundant, when I can just infinitely milk the endboss anyway. It's just not a good game to play for score. There are much better games for this. That's all I wanted to say.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I was definitely not in any way, shape, or form, even trying to imply anything that even sounds like that.

That aside, I'm pleased to see the "1CCs are a personal challenge" narrative (that's what you really wanted to say), because it explains the above confusion and the sheer hostility on your part. Good day.

Anyway, I'm still going through ships, but I might finally make a thread for this game. I think for now I'll just put up slots for the start. I don't expect anyone to actually play it of course, but that's not a Final problem. If anyone wants to try this infinite pattern, I demand counterstops, obviously. Other than that, let's just agree to not use that, business as usual?