R-Type Final really sucks

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kollision

Re: R-Type Final really sucks

Post by Kollision »

R-Type Final isn't the worst PS2 shmup, but it comes close.

I do agree that the graphics are great. The music, however, plain and simply sucks and killed the game for me. It's as if you're flying amidst an intergalactic burial. It's underwhelming, it's boring and it does not help you move through the slowdown feast. If it was more upbeat the game wouldn't be such a chore to play.
Observer

Post by Observer »

Did anyone with a powerful computer tried R-Type Final on the PS2 emu to see if it can actually be played without the slowdowns on that infamous stage? Just wondering if it could actually make the game more interesting.

Heck, maybe you could even mess with the fps counter and set a high count, making the game run at twice the speed?
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

cj iwakura wrote:
Rozyrg wrote:Hardly my favorite shooter on PS2; but 'really sucks' is a bit much. :?

That said, it was one of the first I actually sold (along with Shiki 2, of course.)
I guess that speaks volumes about your shmup taste. :P
Eh, didn't say it sucks... just not my cup of tea. :roll: If it makes it any better, the third game in that lot was Silpheed.

(My PS2 was broken at the time, too.)
jochen

Post by jochen »

R-Type-Final has flaws - and compared to R-Type-Delta it looses bad
- slowdowns and moments there nothing really happens.
And maybe at least some parts of the game are too easy for a
game of the R-Type-series. On the other hand I am one of
those gamers ( hate me for that ) who sometimes prefers are
easier game . I play games for fun and games with high
difficulty like R-Type II or Ibara are more work than fun
for me.

But on the other side Irem obviously put some work in the game -
I like the four variations of level two. Also the three different last
levels remind me a little bit of the Darius-series. You can play
throught the game again and seen new levels and enemies.
I love the design of the enemies. Surely I don´t need 100 different
ships to play the game - but some others might enjoy that idea.

Saying R-Type Final is a bad game .... you have to compare it with
games like Thunderforce 6 ( short and recygled ), Heavenly Guardian
( for me really boring ), Silpheed ( if you hoped for a game with the
quality of Radiant silvergun - you were a little bit disapointed back
then ), XII-Stag ( can´t remember much of the game - no good sign),
Giga Wing Generation ( less design - instead you can use more lives
and bombs ), Ibara ( no shmup for an old, slow thinking and reacting
man like me ).

I definetly hoped for more when I bought R-Type-Final back then ....
being the final game of a great series I hoped for greatness - which
I don´t get. A game from a other company, not with the name
R-Type might have gotten some more love from the players.

So ... I hope Irem breaks his word and programms R-Type-Final/
Epilogue and howether it might be called. I pray for an collection
of Irem-Shmups with R-Type Leo in it.

And till the day it will happen I play Dux on my Dreamcast and I
don´t care about the Score bug ( or whatever this phenomenon
is called ) .
:D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted:

Please ... don´t bann me from this site for such a heretic opinion. :oops: :D :mrgreen:
Alec

Post by Alec »

Yeah, I'd agree its one of the worst (the very worst) in the R-Type Series, but that said, its fucking R-Type and I fucking LOVE IT! You nerds call yourselves fans.
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

I remember back in 2006 when I was trying to see if I liked shmups, since I wasn't into them by that point... this is the game I tried out. And yeah, I fucking hated it. It wasn't till much later that year that I tried stuff like Dodonpachi Daioujou and Under Defeat and realized that these games are fun... I had no idea!

So, yeah, R-Type Final is probably one of the worst shmups I've played.
jochen

Post by jochen »

Chacranajxy wrote:I remember back in 2006 when I was trying to see if I liked shmups, since I wasn't into them by that point... this is the game I tried out. And yeah, I fucking hated it. It wasn't till much later that year that I tried stuff like Dodonpachi Daioujou and Under Defeat and realized that these games are fun... I had no idea!

If you try some real bad games like R-Type III ( GBA ), Strike Force Hydra and X2 ( European
Version ) on the PS 1 or Planet Joker on the Sega-Saturn your love and respect for
R-Type-Final might grow a little bit. :D
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

jochen wrote:
Chacranajxy wrote:I remember back in 2006 when I was trying to see if I liked shmups, since I wasn't into them by that point... this is the game I tried out. And yeah, I fucking hated it. It wasn't till much later that year that I tried stuff like Dodonpachi Daioujou and Under Defeat and realized that these games are fun... I had no idea!

If you try some real bad games like R-Type III ( GBA ), Strike Force Hydra and X2 ( European
Version ) on the PS 1 or Planet Joker on the Sega-Saturn your love and respect for
R-Type-Final might grow a little bit. :D
Nope, sorry. I played Terra Cresta 3D and still think whoever developed R-Type Final deserves sickle cell anemia.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Interesting that some thought the graphics designs were really good. I thought they looked pretty bland. I mean R-Type Delta was interesting to look at(even though it's actual graphics have PS1 syndrome). I just thought the whole game looked, played, and sounded boring. I can play many shooters, even if they're just "alright", and this is one of the only ones where i'm genuinely fixated on the power button the whole time.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I can't even take comments like this seriously. I mean honestly Final isn't the worst R-Type, that prize goes to Super R-type. This game is like RSG now... it must be trendy to hate on it.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Chacranajxy

Post by Chacranajxy »

Strider77 wrote:
I can't even take comments like this seriously. I mean honestly Final isn't the worst R-Type, that prize goes to Super R-type. This game is like RSG now... it must be trendy to hate on it.
And what if I legitimately didn't like it?
davyK

Post by davyK »

I thinks its a splendid game. Its R-Type after all, it looks and sounds great, and the slow speed gives me a chance to think (though the bullet speed at the higher difficulty levels doesn't!!!). The slowdown doesn't bother me that much - it doesn't really affect gameplay as its not brought on by a large number of bullets or enemies.

It's kind of like the Gran Turismo of shooters - you have all those ships and weapon schemes to try out on the levels. Mr Heli is even in there to unlock.

Score Attack is great once you have unlocked lots of stuff.
dpful

Post by dpful »

themachinist wrote:R-Type Epilogue
R-Type Finished
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Chacranajxy wrote:
Strider77 wrote:
You can dislike it all you want, but if you say that it's one of the worst shmups you've played, this statement strongly suggests that you really haven't played a lot of them, let alone really bad ones. I totally agree with Strider here.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

did you like super r-type MORE than final?!
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

It's too bad there's no way to patch R-Type Final to fix the slowdown issues. Otherwise it's an admirable, ambitious shmup.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Strider77 wrote:
Call my taste shitty (again); but I do. :P

Horrific slowdown aside, I think it still has the best music and sfx in the series. Being the first R-Type I came in contact with probably helps too.
TLB

Post by TLB »

Bill wrote:
Ghegs wrote:C'mon Irem, one more R-Type to sweep away all the bad feelings. You don't have to care that the game had "Final" in the title, it certainly hasn't slowed down Square one bit.
R-Type Zeta: Operation Creamy Nougat.
Creamy...Nougat?

A'right, then!
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

It did have great music but the whole game is like running through peanut butter. I find it funny that R-type final gets such a bad rep but Super R-type is so neatly forgotten.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Strider77 wrote:It did have great music but the whole game is like running through peanut butter. I find it funny that R-type final gets such a bad rep but Super R-type is so neatly forgotten.

Well, Super R-Type is a lot older.
StoofooEsq

Post by StoofooEsq »

Final is definitely not a terrible game. My main problem lies with the glaring issues that hurt what is a good concept for a shooter. The varied amount of levels have weaker design than previous entries (III and Delta), the pacing might with tension yet it seems bipolar at times, and the graphics are fine when there aren't atrocious amounts of slowdown (Stage 3.0 especially).

But I can still acknowledge its strengths. The atmosphere is great; the music and quotes before each stage help with that area. And maybe your interest in the game will end after you've unlocked all the ships, but being able to customize such a large amount of ships make it a unique feature for a game in its genre.

With some more polish, R-Type Final would've been a fantastic way to (not) send off the series. Even as it is, the game is still a noticeably good effort. At worst, it's just an update to a recognizable franchise with a bunch of features slapped on.

And anyone calling R-Type Final the worst shooter ever should go play/watch Broken Thunder.
Damocles wrote:Has anyone actually explored the Vs. mode? I screwed around with a few rounds, but never came back to it.
The VS. AI Mode is kind of neat for a quirky minigame, but not really interesting enough to keep experimenting with. If you're already bored with it after two rounds, you won't care to put the effort into playing through the Championship.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

so is R-Type 1...... we had alot of shooters that didn't slow down back then
Awqward Eye

Post by Awqward Eye »

I have to disagree about R-Type Final....I've played most of the R-Type games and to me this was the best one. I'm not a big R-Type fan to begin with, the series is too slow for my taste...R-Type final was cool though better than Delta in my opinion.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Strider77 wrote:
so is R-Type 1...... we had alot of shooters that didn't slow down back then
Well, I mean, that is why I think most people have forgotten about it's suckiness. It's just out of their memory, or they have never played it. I used to own it when it came out, but I can't remember the first thing about it.
devilmanozzy

Post by devilmanozzy »

R-Type Final I thought was a fun easy shooter with too few levels and way too many ships to unlock. 101 ships? I ended up finding cheat codes and ran the game without really playing it for like weeks trying to get all those ships. The ships were fun, but seriously they needed more levels.

Slowdown? I didn't notice any during the game.
AVGN wrote:This game is so hard; it would actually be easier to go outside in a thunderstorm and try to dodge rain
http://shmups.co.uk/<- The new url of shmupswiki.com
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

devilmanozzy wrote:Slowdown? I didn't notice any during the game.
You get huge slowdown in Level 3 at least, odd you didnt notice.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Strider77 wrote:
late to the party...but oh yes did I dislike "Final" more than "Super" (which actually gave me some joy)!
If we forget about the GBA incarnarnation of R-type III we can seriously say that "Final" is the worst (by a very long mile) of the series.
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

Well, no. We can't. You can. Just because that's your opinion, it doesn't make it fact.

I can believe somebody could play level 3 and not notice the slowdown. It's an epic level - massive boss, potential destruction of city streets - and it'd be relatively easy to think that the slowdown was actually some kind of intentional slow mo effect layered over the top to emphasise that, especially if you're unfamiliar with other games in the genre.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

E. Randy Dupre wrote:Well, no. We can't. You can. Just because that's your opinion, it doesn't make it fact.
Yes this is MY truth. (which basically is all that should matter to me)
Now tell me yours.*

*I agree with what you pointed out though it doesn't make my view more wrong or right... :wink:
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I seems that the overpowered ships dictate the pace of the game. A lot of the time you're killing things before they have chance to get on the screen and attack you - noticable on the space level. Play through with the Arrowhead on default and I find that the game is pretty well paced for the most part. 'Floating Graves' is pretty intense with the Arrowhead - worthy of the rest of the series.

I wont argue with anyone who says that this game was dissapointing though. Theres no doubt it's horribly flawed.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]